Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2018 USWO


428 replies to this topic

#1 KBong

KBong

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434478
  • Joined: 07/29/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 842

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:50 PM

With a poor forecast...it looks like Shoal Creek will be playing like a mud hole with probably a lot of weather delays.
Likely might play lift, clean and place.... which is a shame.
Lots of pros say it's a great course....but it's a shame they say that they can't play it in pristine conditions.

Looks like a long hitter might have an advantage on this soft course.

The LPGA tour has been plagued this year with some lousy weather.

On course photos
http://www.golfwrx.c...us-womens-open/

Edited by KBong, 28 May 2018 - 11:51 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 North Texas

North Texas

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
  • Joined: 02/18/2010
  • Location:North of Dallas
GolfWRX Likes : 2346

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:39 AM

Today's practice round cancelled.

2

#3 Stooch

Stooch

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481884
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 440

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

View PostKBong, on 28 May 2018 - 11:50 PM, said:

With a poor forecast...it looks like Shoal Creek will be playing like a mud hole with probably a lot of weather delays.
Likely might play lift, clean and place.... which is a shame.
Lots of pros say it's a great course....but it's a shame they say that they can't play it in pristine conditions.

Looks like a long hitter might have an advantage on this soft course.

The LPGA tour has been plagued this year with some lousy weather.

On course photos
http://www.golfwrx.c...us-womens-open/

I don't think the USGA does that for their Major events (ever), I could be wrong and sure I'll be corrected if I am  :)

3

#4 ClairefromClare

ClairefromClare

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62374
  • Joined: 08/05/2008
  • Location:Mid Atlantic
GolfWRX Likes : 377

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

Agreed--Jerry Foltz tweeted the same.

4

#5 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23234

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

Right, the USGA rarely plays preferred lies.


5

#6 4waymiss

4waymiss

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371465
  • Joined: 04/15/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 874

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 29 May 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Right, the USGA rarely plays preferred lies.

Then maybe it is time for the USGA to get with the times. We are seeing extreme weather conditions more and more often, and it can only get worse going forward. They are already making wholesale changes to the rules, why not preferred lies?

Unless they want to see players like Lexi and SHP hitting mud balls to the green, turning the national championship into a game of roulette. It could also give a new twist to the age old WRX debate: Can a men 4 beat a LPGA, with both hitting mud balls ?

6

#7 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23234

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

View Post4waymiss, on 29 May 2018 - 02:38 PM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 29 May 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Right, the USGA rarely plays preferred lies.

Then maybe it is time for the USGA to get with the times. We are seeing extreme weather conditions more and more often, and it can only get worse going forward. They are already making wholesale changes to the rules, why not preferred lies?

Unless they want to see players like Lexi and SHP hitting mud balls to the green, turning the national championship into a game of roulette. It could also give a new twist to the age old WRX debate: Can a men 4 beat a LPGA, with both hitting mud balls ?

The problem is that the LPGA is often quick to implement preferred lies when there is any threat of foul weather, even when the course is in playable condition. Good and back luck are part of the game. Ball in a divot? Oh well. Ball hits a tree, and bounced into the fairway? Taken with a smile.

7

#8 North Texas

North Texas

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
  • Joined: 02/18/2010
  • Location:North of Dallas
GolfWRX Likes : 2346

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 29 May 2018 - 02:56 PM, said:

View Post4waymiss, on 29 May 2018 - 02:38 PM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 29 May 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Right, the USGA rarely plays preferred lies.

Then maybe it is time for the USGA to get with the times. We are seeing extreme weather conditions more and more often, and it can only get worse going forward. They are already making wholesale changes to the rules, why not preferred lies?

Unless they want to see players like Lexi and SHP hitting mud balls to the green, turning the national championship into a game of roulette. It could also give a new twist to the age old WRX debate: Can a men 4 beat a LPGA, with both hitting mud balls ?

The problem is that the LPGA is often quick to implement preferred lies when there is any threat of foul weather, even when the course is in playable condition. Good and back luck are part of the game. Ball in a divot? Oh well. Ball hits a tree, and bounced into the fairway? Taken with a smile.

Too many people forget this.

8

#9 4waymiss

4waymiss

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371465
  • Joined: 04/15/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 874

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 29 May 2018 - 02:56 PM, said:

View Post4waymiss, on 29 May 2018 - 02:38 PM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 29 May 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Right, the USGA rarely plays preferred lies.

Then maybe it is time for the USGA to get with the times. We are seeing extreme weather conditions more and more often, and it can only get worse going forward. They are already making wholesale changes to the rules, why not preferred lies?

Unless they want to see players like Lexi and SHP hitting mud balls to the green, turning the national championship into a game of roulette. It could also give a new twist to the age old WRX debate: Can a men 4 beat a LPGA, with both hitting mud balls ?

The problem is that the LPGA is often quick to implement preferred lies when there is any threat of foul weather, even when the course is in playable condition. Good and back luck are part of the game. Ball in a divot? Oh well. Ball hits a tree, and bounced into the fairway? Taken with a smile.

Good and back luck are part of life. But when I am watching the top girls from the world competing for the most prestigious championship. I want the skill factor to be maximized and the luck factor to be minimized.

We have no control over mother nature. But we do have means to deal with the consequence of it.

9

#10 hebsan

hebsan

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103660
  • Joined: 02/19/2010
  • Location:Mililani, HI
GolfWRX Likes : 423

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:42 PM

Unless your ball or your stance is in casual water, play it down.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 North Texas

North Texas

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
  • Joined: 02/18/2010
  • Location:North of Dallas
GolfWRX Likes : 2346

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

View Posthebsan, on 29 May 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

Unless your ball or your stance is in casual water, play it down.

This is the bottom line.

11

#12 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23234

Posted 29 May 2018 - 04:47 PM

OK, how about a compromise. If a player can see mud attached to the ball, they're allowed to lift, clean, and replace. Otherwise play it as it lies. The playing partner would have to confirm the mud on the ball.

12

#13 Trugravity

Trugravity

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71671
  • Joined: 01/01/2009
  • Location:Illinois
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:1420blaine
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:50 PM

Weather forecast is disappointing, let’s hope it takes a turn for the better! Last Friday I retired, so had considered making the trek to Shoal Creek, but between the forecast and having chased grandkids for the past week, opted to relax and watch it from home. Plus, I’ll see the girls play in Grand Rapids, Chicago and possibly Indy. Let’s hope for a great tourney!

13

#14 ThinkingPlus

ThinkingPlus

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449758
  • Joined: 12/24/2016
  • Location:South Texas
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 1122

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:35 PM

So the question is whether you have a better chance with solid strikes on muddy balls from the fairway semi-randomly spinning out of control or hacking wet knuckleballs out of the rough which may or may not reach the safety of the receptive greens. Sounds like the "best putter wins Open". Inbee vs. Lyds in playoff (Kerr misses playoff by 2 when she wraps 8-iron around Mike Davis's head)?
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i w/UST Recoil 680 F4, Callaway Apex 6i - 9i, AW w/UST Recoil 680 F4, Maltby TS-1 PW w/ UST Recoil 680 F4
Sand Wedge: Mizuno S5 54/08 w/True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM5 58/07 w/True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow

14

#15 North Texas

North Texas

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
  • Joined: 02/18/2010
  • Location:North of Dallas
GolfWRX Likes : 2346

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:30 PM

Sounds like they will play the ball down. As they should.

https://golfweek.com...n-for-72-holes/


15

#16 hebsan

hebsan

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103660
  • Joined: 02/19/2010
  • Location:Mililani, HI
GolfWRX Likes : 423

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:21 PM

View PostNorth Texas, on 29 May 2018 - 09:30 PM, said:

Sounds like they will play the ball down. As they should.

https://golfweek.com...n-for-72-holes/

I guess we better be prepared for a crustier Crusty this week.

16

#17 grm24

grm24

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
  • Joined: 08/09/2005
  • Location:Western PA
GolfWRX Likes : 2049

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:30 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 29 May 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Right, the USGA rarely plays preferred lies.
Correct if by rarely you mean never. The USGA has never used L/C/P (preferred lies) for any of their championships. Ever.

Edited by grm24, 29 May 2018 - 11:31 PM.


17

#18 4waymiss

4waymiss

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371465
  • Joined: 04/15/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 874

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:48 PM

View Posthebsan, on 29 May 2018 - 11:21 PM, said:

View PostNorth Texas, on 29 May 2018 - 09:30 PM, said:

Sounds like they will play the ball down. As they should.

https://golfweek.com...n-for-72-holes/

I guess we better be prepared for a crustier Crusty this week.


Crusty was really ripping the USGA a new one to a reporter. But afterwards she must had realized she now has her wine label to shill, so she retracted it thru Twitter , saying she "has nothing but respect for the USGA"  :))

18

#19 KBong

KBong

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434478
  • Joined: 07/29/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 842

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:03 AM

View Posthebsan, on 29 May 2018 - 11:21 PM, said:

View PostNorth Texas, on 29 May 2018 - 09:30 PM, said:

Sounds like they will play the ball down. As they should.

https://golfweek.com...n-for-72-holes/

I guess we better be prepared for a crustier Crusty this week.
Same with Stacy "SNaP" Lewis. :taunt:

19

#20 xxio

xxio

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
  • Joined: 05/06/2005
  • Location:Cebu, Philippines
GolfWRX Likes : 437

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:32 AM

Lift, clean, and drop would be a good compromise.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Tasals

Tasals

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378710
  • Joined: 06/02/2015
  • Location:Canada
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:28 AM

View Postxxio, on 30 May 2018 - 01:32 AM, said:

Lift, clean, and drop would be a good compromise.

you can still improve the lie you had, or get out of some deep rough or whatever. They should have to recreate the lie you had, but its just too easy to cheat no matter how you do it.

21

#22 xxio

xxio

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
  • Joined: 05/06/2005
  • Location:Cebu, Philippines
GolfWRX Likes : 437

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:38 AM

^^only in closely mown areas. At least it is not guaranteed to be perfect.

22

#23 tbowles411

tbowles411

    Texas Ranger! Pretty cool win I must say...

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 24,338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Joined: 08/30/2005
  • Location:Northern Virginia (One day I hope to be a Texan!)
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 6295

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:52 AM

Far be it from me to bash folks unnecessarily, there is a real possibility of standing water out there.  I know it's a US Open and all, but if a ball rolls into a puddle (or lake) in the middle of the fairway, seriously is that really fair?  I mean if they play the ball down, then OK, but if you play were the ball is only a little visible or whatever, is that really fair?

Edited by tbowles411, 30 May 2018 - 07:59 AM.

PING G Driver
PING G Fairway 3 Wood
PING G Hybrids (3, 4)
PING G Irons (5-UW)
PING Glide 2.0 (54SS, 58WS)
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E
Ball: Titelist AVX

23

#24 bhmgolfer

bhmgolfer

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65304
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Birmingham, AL
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:50 AM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news....I live in Birmingham about 6 miles "as the crow flies" from Shoal Creek.  As I write this around 845 am Wednesday morning, it is still raining steadily and can hear rumbles of thunder.  We have a 90% chance of more rain today with an additional one half to three quarters of an inch of accumulation.  Just an awful situation for this tournament.  Wouldn't surprise me if practice rounds are cancelled for today like they were yesterday.  Can't imagine how much work it's going to take to make Shoal Creek playable for the start tomorrow.  The tournament needs to catch a break....and real soon.

24

#25 KBong

KBong

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434478
  • Joined: 07/29/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 842

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

What about starting the event on Friday if that helps the situation with a Monday finish....many won't show up to watch anyways with the lousy forecast.
I know it's not ideal...especially for TV and loss of volunteers on Monday.


25

#26 MixedBag

MixedBag

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142199
  • Joined: 10/11/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

I live 3 miles from the course and it tends to dry/take water well (watched several nasty Region's Tournaments there, I'm not a member).  With that said, I'm planning to attend Saturday and haven't been keeping up with the LPGA this year.  I'm taking my 8yr old nephew and 8 yr old goddaughter (both started playing golf last year) and need to know who we should follow?  Rather it not be the most crowded group, so someone interesting to watch but at the same time someone not everyone will be following.  Any ideas?  thanks

26

#27 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23234

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

View Posttbowles411, on 30 May 2018 - 07:52 AM, said:

Far be it from me to bash folks unnecessarily, there is a real possibility of standing water out there.  I know it's a US Open and all, but if a ball rolls into a puddle (or lake) in the middle of the fairway, seriously is that really fair?  I mean if they play the ball down, then OK, but if you play were the ball is only a little visible or whatever, is that really fair?

If the ball comes to rest in casual water, they can still take relief. That rule is not discarded simply because they are not playing preferred lies.

27

#28 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23234

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

View PostMixedBag, on 30 May 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

I live 3 miles from the course and it tends to dry/take water well (watched several nasty Region's Tournaments there, I'm not a member).  With that said, I'm planning to attend Saturday and haven't been keeping up with the LPGA this year.  I'm taking my 8yr old nephew and 8 yr old goddaughter (both started playing golf last year) and need to know who we should follow?  Rather it not be the most crowded group, so someone interesting to watch but at the same time someone not everyone will be following.  Any ideas?  thanks

If you're looking for a player(s) with wonderful tempo, and a simply wonderful swing, you can't go wrong with In Gee, Minjee, or Sung Hyun. They'll each have crowds, but it shouldn't be crazy.

If you want to see birdies, Moriya, Ariya, or Brooke would be the ones to follow.

28

#29 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 5160

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 30 May 2018 - 10:02 AM, said:

View PostMixedBag, on 30 May 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

I live 3 miles from the course and it tends to dry/take water well (watched several nasty Region's Tournaments there, I'm not a member).  With that said, I'm planning to attend Saturday and haven't been keeping up with the LPGA this year.  I'm taking my 8yr old nephew and 8 yr old goddaughter (both started playing golf last year) and need to know who we should follow?  Rather it not be the most crowded group, so someone interesting to watch but at the same time someone not everyone will be following.  Any ideas?  thanks

If you're looking for a player(s) with wonderful tempo, and a simply wonderful swing, you can't go wrong with In Gee, Minjee, or Sung Hyun. They'll each have crowds, but it shouldn't be crazy.

If you want to see birdies, Moriya, Ariya, or Brooke would be the ones to follow.

Throw Jin Young Ko on there, possibly the most fluid iron swing I have ever seen, pure, as pure can be.
GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60
Rogue SZ 3W - Tensei Pro Orange 70
Epic 3H - Tensei Pro White 90
MP Fli-Hi/919T Combo 4-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
O-Works Black 7s Tank
TM TP5X

29

#30 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 5160

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:33 AM

So, who is everyone picking to be in contention/win this thing.

It seems Moriya and Ariya basically contend about every time they tee it up anymore.  In Bee and Shanshan hit a lot of fairways and greens, but will wet conditions favor more length?

I haven't seen anything from Lexi so far this year to male me think she will be in it, but never know with her, needs to putt.

Sung Hyun is very up and down, missed cut/win/missed cut, but the game, if on, will be right there.  In Gee looking better and better recently, could she have 3 Majors, and no regular tour wins?

Brooke has some length, and can make some birdies, if mistakes are minimized, could see her competing for the win.

I am going with Jin Young Ko, think it would be 3 of the last 4 years a Korean Rookie won the US Open if she did.  She seems to minimize the mistakes.  Can Heyjin Choi repeat some of the magic from last year?

I can't wait for it to start, hope the weather eases so we can see 4 days.

Edited by Warrick, 30 May 2018 - 06:13 PM.

GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60
Rogue SZ 3W - Tensei Pro Orange 70
Epic 3H - Tensei Pro White 90
MP Fli-Hi/919T Combo 4-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
O-Works Black 7s Tank
TM TP5X

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors