Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 8 votes

The Open @ Carnoustie (NO POLITICS)


4198 replies to this topic

#91 Jasonic

Jasonic

    Gamer

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 277815
  • Joined: 09/25/2013
  • Location:Queens NY
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 2592

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:19 PM

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 01 July 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

If TW can get his putting figured out, he will contend.

NOPE

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#92 Bingo1976

Bingo1976

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194780
  • Joined: 07/26/2012
  • Location:Hong Kong
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1524

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:33 AM

View PostMarco, on 05 July 2018 - 11:50 PM, said:

View PostJasonic, on 05 July 2018 - 10:19 PM, said:

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 01 July 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

If TW can get his putting figured out, he will contend.

NOPE

hmmm yes, gtfo

Carnoustie will kill you if you can't keep your ball in play and in position, probably even more so if the ball is running. If Tiger can play a Hoylake type 1 iron game then he can contend - it's not a hard course to putt on, but you have to get to the green first....
Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR
TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, Matrix Ozik R
Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S
Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S
Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200
Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS HiRev
Odyssey O-Works Black 34"

2

#93 lowheel

lowheel

    LOWHEEL

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,884 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
  • Joined: 07/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 5362

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:56 AM

View PostSean2, on 05 July 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

I am watching the Irish Open, and that course is proving to be quite a test, and the weather is perfect today...sunshine, hardly any wind. I can't imagine what Carnoustie will be like.

Very demanding off the tee but if its dry alot of driving irons off the tees will neutralize some of the danger. I actually think it plays tougher wet

3

#94 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

    Major Winner

  • Marshals
  • 3,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Joined: 08/24/2006
  • Location:NH native stuck in Northern Virginia
  • Handicap:6.1

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:03 AM

View Postiteachgolf, on 05 July 2018 - 12:53 PM, said:

Please show me where I knocked Harrington once.  You can't because I didn't.  Me stating that he wasn't the best player isn't a knock at all.  It's factual.   He's going to likely be a Hall of Famer.

Don't make things up because you wanna argue.  I never said a single negative thing about Harrington.

Everyone knock it off and get back on topic.
M3 9.5 - AD-DI6x Black
M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
Cobra F8 One Length 5-GW - Steelfiber 110s
TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5

4

#95 iBanesto

iBanesto

    Niclas Fasth

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
  • Joined: 08/24/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 1790

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:06 AM

View PostBingo1976, on 06 July 2018 - 04:33 AM, said:

View PostMarco, on 05 July 2018 - 11:50 PM, said:

View PostJasonic, on 05 July 2018 - 10:19 PM, said:

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 01 July 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

If TW can get his putting figured out, he will contend.

NOPE

hmmm yes, gtfo

Carnoustie will kill you if you can't keep your ball in play and in position, probably even more so if the ball is running. If Tiger can play a Hoylake type 1 iron game then he can contend - it's not a hard course to putt on, but you have to get to the green first....

I don't think the way Tiger played the 2006 Open can ever be repeated.

That was ridiculous. These courses are way too long to just be hitting long irons off every driving tee box.


5

#96 Gem

Gem

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19868
  • Joined: 09/25/2006
  • Location:Scotland.
GolfWRX Likes : 324

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:13 AM

View PostiBanesto, on 06 July 2018 - 06:06 AM, said:

View PostBingo1976, on 06 July 2018 - 04:33 AM, said:

View PostMarco, on 05 July 2018 - 11:50 PM, said:

View PostJasonic, on 05 July 2018 - 10:19 PM, said:

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 01 July 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

If TW can get his putting figured out, he will contend.

NOPE

hmmm yes, gtfo

Carnoustie will kill you if you can't keep your ball in play and in position, probably even more so if the ball is running. If Tiger can play a Hoylake type 1 iron game then he can contend - it's not a hard course to putt on, but you have to get to the green first....

I don't think the way Tiger played the 2006 Open can ever be repeated.

That was ridiculous. These courses are way too long to just be hitting long irons off every driving tee box.

I would disagree.
Into the wind you would still need a driver but if it is calm than irons will travel 300yds or more on baked fairways.
TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 2 58 KBS 610 S+

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

6

#97 Marco

Marco

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34723
  • Joined: 07/16/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

View PostBingo1976, on 06 July 2018 - 04:33 AM, said:

View PostMarco, on 05 July 2018 - 11:50 PM, said:

View PostJasonic, on 05 July 2018 - 10:19 PM, said:

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 01 July 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

If TW can get his putting figured out, he will contend.

NOPE

hmmm yes, gtfo

Carnoustie will kill you if you can't keep your ball in play and in position, probably even more so if the ball is running. If Tiger can play a Hoylake type 1 iron game then he can contend - it's not a hard course to putt on, but you have to get to the green first....

yep depends on the wind.

btw did someone delete my post ahah ?

7

#98 Ralphyboy84

Ralphyboy84

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 363167
  • Joined: 02/19/2015
  • Location:Carnoustie, Scotland
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:55 PM

I went down to the course tonight for my last look before the open starts next week (I’m off to Cabot Links/Cliffs on Tuesday and get back to Carnoustie Sunday morning).

Course is looking sensational. It’s reallt starting to brown up. We had about 5 mins of rain but that’s the first rain we’ve had in weeks. The forecast looks dry and hot up until the Championship starts.

So far we’ve had Adam Scott and Justin Rose play this week. We’ve also had Matsuyama play as well. Through an interpreter he said afterwards “that’s tough”.

Patrick Reed and Matt Kuchar were here today. I actually saw Kuchar in the restaurant after. Really nice friendly guy. I’ve heard from guys watching that he hit it pretty poor but his wedge game from inside 100 yards was ridiculously good. Aparrently Reed took a golf cart out. Living up to the “Fatrick” knickname!

All in all the town is buzzing and excitement is building!

8

#99 Ghostwedge

Ghostwedge

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433482
  • Joined: 07/20/2016
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 258

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

"Fatrick" ... must be a term of endearment.

9

#100 iBanesto

iBanesto

    Niclas Fasth

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
  • Joined: 08/24/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 1790

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:41 AM

View PostRalphyboy84, on 08 July 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

I went down to the course tonight for my last look before the open starts next week (I'm off to Cabot Links/Cliffs on Tuesday and get back to Carnoustie Sunday morning).

Course is looking sensational. It's reallt starting to brown up. We had about 5 mins of rain but that's the first rain we've had in weeks. The forecast looks dry and hot up until the Championship starts.

So far we've had Adam Scott and Justin Rose play this week. We've also had Matsuyama play as well. Through an interpreter he said afterwards "that's tough".

Patrick Reed and Matt Kuchar were here today. I actually saw Kuchar in the restaurant after. Really nice friendly guy. I've heard from guys watching that he hit it pretty poor but his wedge game from inside 100 yards was ridiculously good. Aparrently Reed took a golf cart out. Living up to the "Fatrick" knickname!

All in all the town is buzzing and excitement is building!

Fatrick :haha:


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#101 MattyO1984

MattyO1984

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59978
  • Joined: 07/08/2008
  • Location:Elgin, Scotland
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 3099

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:54 AM

This time next Monday I will be down there strolling about, cannot wait!
Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x

11

#102 gvogel

gvogel

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Joined: 08/19/2007
  • Location:Western NY
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 2120

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:55 AM

View PostBingo1976, on 06 July 2018 - 04:33 AM, said:

View PostMarco, on 05 July 2018 - 11:50 PM, said:

View PostJasonic, on 05 July 2018 - 10:19 PM, said:

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 01 July 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

If TW can get his putting figured out, he will contend.

NOPE

hmmm yes, gtfo

Carnoustie will kill you if you can't keep your ball in play and in position, probably even more so if the ball is running. If Tiger can play a Hoylake type 1 iron game then he can contend - it's not a hard course to putt on, but you have to get to the green first....

I was watching tiger play at the Quicken Loans.  He was not hitting his driving iron consistently straight.  Those Hoylake days were a long time ago.
On Sundays, I used to play hickory

12

#103 Garush34

Garush34

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136129
  • Joined: 08/11/2011
  • Handicap:17.9
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:58 AM

View PostMattyO1984, on 09 July 2018 - 04:54 AM, said:

This time next Monday I will be down there strolling about, cannot wait!

You there just the Monday? We're going on the Tuesday really looking forward to it. Been to Carnoustie many a time over the last few years for the Dunhill, excited to see it set up for the Open. Will be a completely different feel to it I'm sure.
WITB

Titleist 913 D3 Grafalloy blue 2013 stiff shaft
Titleist 910F 15 degree Diamana Kai'li 75 mid stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52/9 KBS Tour-V 125
Callaway mack daddy 2 54/14s KBS tour-v 110
Callaway mack daddy 2 58/10s KBS tour-v 110

Rife 460 Tour Blade/Odyssey White Ice No. 7

Handicap - 17.9

Home club - www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk/

13

#104 Superbrit

Superbrit

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 505108
  • Joined: 06/19/2018
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 289

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:06 AM

I'm there Tuesday, really looking forward to it, should be a lot better than the Wednesday Practice day at Birkdale last year, bad weather forecast so barely anyone played.

This year should be very different
Taylormade M3 440 9.5*
Taylormade M3 3 wood 15*
Adams Proto DHY 21*
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-6
Mizuno MP-18 SC 7- 9
Titleist SM7 Jet Black 46/50/56/60
Radius Classic 3

14

#105 Garush34

Garush34

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136129
  • Joined: 08/11/2011
  • Handicap:17.9
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:20 AM

View PostSuperbrit, on 10 July 2018 - 06:06 AM, said:

I'm there Tuesday, really looking forward to it, should be a lot better than the Wednesday Practice day at Birkdale last year, bad weather forecast so barely anyone played.

This year should be very different

Yeah that's why we go Tuesday's, most of the guys will be there out and about somewhere on the course of the range. Best chance to see all the guys you want to see. Had to get there real early at Muirfield to try see Tiger, managed to catch up with him about the 6th/7th and watched for a few holes. Won't be there that early this year tho as the travel is further for us.

WITB

Titleist 913 D3 Grafalloy blue 2013 stiff shaft
Titleist 910F 15 degree Diamana Kai'li 75 mid stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52/9 KBS Tour-V 125
Callaway mack daddy 2 54/14s KBS tour-v 110
Callaway mack daddy 2 58/10s KBS tour-v 110

Rife 460 Tour Blade/Odyssey White Ice No. 7

Handicap - 17.9

Home club - www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk/

15

#106 Superbrit

Superbrit

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 505108
  • Joined: 06/19/2018
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 289

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:26 AM

View PostGarush34, on 10 July 2018 - 06:20 AM, said:

View PostSuperbrit, on 10 July 2018 - 06:06 AM, said:

I'm there Tuesday, really looking forward to it, should be a lot better than the Wednesday Practice day at Birkdale last year, bad weather forecast so barely anyone played.

This year should be very different

Yeah that's why we go Tuesday's, most of the guys will be there out and about somewhere on the course of the range. Best chance to see all the guys you want to see. Had to get there real early at Muirfield to try see Tiger, managed to catch up with him about the 6th/7th and watched for a few holes. Won't be there that early this year tho as the travel is further for us.

Yeah we ended up just sat there at the range, it gets a bit boring though after an hour or two, mainly followed Garcia and Rahm, but so did about a thousand other people as they were the main guys out.

Been told before Tuesday is the best day so fingers crossed
Taylormade M3 440 9.5*
Taylormade M3 3 wood 15*
Adams Proto DHY 21*
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-6
Mizuno MP-18 SC 7- 9
Titleist SM7 Jet Black 46/50/56/60
Radius Classic 3

16

#107 Garush34

Garush34

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136129
  • Joined: 08/11/2011
  • Handicap:17.9
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:53 AM

View PostSuperbrit, on 10 July 2018 - 06:26 AM, said:

View PostGarush34, on 10 July 2018 - 06:20 AM, said:

View PostSuperbrit, on 10 July 2018 - 06:06 AM, said:

I'm there Tuesday, really looking forward to it, should be a lot better than the Wednesday Practice day at Birkdale last year, bad weather forecast so barely anyone played.

This year should be very different

Yeah that's why we go Tuesday's, most of the guys will be there out and about somewhere on the course of the range. Best chance to see all the guys you want to see. Had to get there real early at Muirfield to try see Tiger, managed to catch up with him about the 6th/7th and watched for a few holes. Won't be there that early this year tho as the travel is further for us.

Yeah we ended up just sat there at the range, it gets a bit boring though after an hour or two, mainly followed Garcia and Rahm, but so did about a thousand other people as they were the main guys out.

Been told before Tuesday is the best day so fingers crossed

Yeah that's why we don't go to the main days, as the wife can't see if there is a big crowd following. So we usually end up following a lesser group which is fine but sometimes you want to see the best guys there especially at a major.

Enjoy your day out, I've got Gullane on Friday first to wet the apatite for next week.
WITB

Titleist 913 D3 Grafalloy blue 2013 stiff shaft
Titleist 910F 15 degree Diamana Kai'li 75 mid stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52/9 KBS Tour-V 125
Callaway mack daddy 2 54/14s KBS tour-v 110
Callaway mack daddy 2 58/10s KBS tour-v 110

Rife 460 Tour Blade/Odyssey White Ice No. 7

Handicap - 17.9

Home club - www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk/

17

#108 Superbrit

Superbrit

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 505108
  • Joined: 06/19/2018
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 289

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:48 AM

View PostGarush34, on 10 July 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

View PostSuperbrit, on 10 July 2018 - 06:26 AM, said:

View PostGarush34, on 10 July 2018 - 06:20 AM, said:

View PostSuperbrit, on 10 July 2018 - 06:06 AM, said:

I'm there Tuesday, really looking forward to it, should be a lot better than the Wednesday Practice day at Birkdale last year, bad weather forecast so barely anyone played.

This year should be very different

Yeah that's why we go Tuesday's, most of the guys will be there out and about somewhere on the course of the range. Best chance to see all the guys you want to see. Had to get there real early at Muirfield to try see Tiger, managed to catch up with him about the 6th/7th and watched for a few holes. Won't be there that early this year tho as the travel is further for us.

Yeah we ended up just sat there at the range, it gets a bit boring though after an hour or two, mainly followed Garcia and Rahm, but so did about a thousand other people as they were the main guys out.

Been told before Tuesday is the best day so fingers crossed

Yeah that's why we don't go to the main days, as the wife can't see if there is a big crowd following. So we usually end up following a lesser group which is fine but sometimes you want to see the best guys there especially at a major.

Enjoy your day out, I've got Gullane on Friday first to wet the apatite for next week.

Oh have you, should be good, and no where near as busy as the Open, definitely a place id like to play in the future as well, looks really nice
Taylormade M3 440 9.5*
Taylormade M3 3 wood 15*
Adams Proto DHY 21*
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-6
Mizuno MP-18 SC 7- 9
Titleist SM7 Jet Black 46/50/56/60
Radius Classic 3

18

#109 Garush34

Garush34

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136129
  • Joined: 08/11/2011
  • Handicap:17.9
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:03 AM

View PostSuperbrit, on 10 July 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

View PostGarush34, on 10 July 2018 - 06:53 AM, said:

View PostSuperbrit, on 10 July 2018 - 06:26 AM, said:

View PostGarush34, on 10 July 2018 - 06:20 AM, said:

View PostSuperbrit, on 10 July 2018 - 06:06 AM, said:

I'm there Tuesday, really looking forward to it, should be a lot better than the Wednesday Practice day at Birkdale last year, bad weather forecast so barely anyone played.

This year should be very different

Yeah that's why we go Tuesday's, most of the guys will be there out and about somewhere on the course of the range. Best chance to see all the guys you want to see. Had to get there real early at Muirfield to try see Tiger, managed to catch up with him about the 6th/7th and watched for a few holes. Won't be there that early this year tho as the travel is further for us.

Yeah we ended up just sat there at the range, it gets a bit boring though after an hour or two, mainly followed Garcia and Rahm, but so did about a thousand other people as they were the main guys out.

Been told before Tuesday is the best day so fingers crossed

Yeah that's why we don't go to the main days, as the wife can't see if there is a big crowd following. So we usually end up following a lesser group which is fine but sometimes you want to see the best guys there especially at a major.

Enjoy your day out, I've got Gullane on Friday first to wet the apatite for next week.

Oh have you, should be good, and no where near as busy as the Open, definitely a place id like to play in the future as well, looks really nice

Yeah Gullane is a great place to play. I managed to play the composite course in 2015 after the scottish open. Great experience just unfortunately my game wasn't there. But all 3 courses at Gullane are great fun to play if you get the chance.
WITB

Titleist 913 D3 Grafalloy blue 2013 stiff shaft
Titleist 910F 15 degree Diamana Kai'li 75 mid stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52/9 KBS Tour-V 125
Callaway mack daddy 2 54/14s KBS tour-v 110
Callaway mack daddy 2 58/10s KBS tour-v 110

Rife 460 Tour Blade/Odyssey White Ice No. 7

Handicap - 17.9

Home club - www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk/

19

#110 MilkyButterCuts

MilkyButterCuts

    Darth Fader

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492318
  • Joined: 01/31/2018
  • Location:Salt Lake City
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 343

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:06 PM

Who ever can think their way around this course best, will win. I would be very surprised if Tiger isn't in contention.

Also ask yourself this, I was just thinking (and dont really have an answer), who are the smartest to ever play the game?

Edit: not talking Dechambeau smart, strategically smart.

Edited by MilkyButterCuts, 10 July 2018 - 12:08 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#111 OldTomMorris

OldTomMorris

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129568
  • Joined: 05/26/2011
  • Location:Edinburgh, Scotland
GolfWRX Likes : 363

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:52 AM

View PostMilkyButterCuts, on 10 July 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

Who ever can think their way around this course best, will win. I would be very surprised if Tiger isn't in contention.

Also ask yourself this, I was just thinking (and dont really have an answer), who are the smartest to ever play the game?

Edit: not talking Dechambeau smart, strategically smart.

Hitting it OB in the final round at the API wasn't strategically smart, he doesn't have the same "golf" tool box he once did. I'm certain there has to be some mental demons.

It would be a great spectacle to see him seriously contend down the stretch, I'm yet to be fully convinced we'll see that next week.

Edited by OldTomMorris, 11 July 2018 - 04:53 AM.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° & 58°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

21

#112 i*windows

i*windows

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,952 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26638
  • Joined: 03/13/2007
  • Location:Bavaria
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 813

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:50 AM

this is painful to watch


Just hit the damn ball.
TM R1
Adams Tight lies 2 5w
Cleveland Mashie 5h
Nike Covert Forged 2, 6-PW
Cleveland 588 Tour Action 51*
MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini.

22

#113 Superbrit

Superbrit

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 505108
  • Joined: 06/19/2018
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 289

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:16 AM

View PostMilkyButterCuts, on 10 July 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

Who ever can think their way around this course best, will win. I would be very surprised if Tiger isn't in contention.

Also ask yourself this, I was just thinking (and dont really have an answer), who are the smartest to ever play the game?

Edit: not talking Dechambeau smart, strategically smart.

Ben Hogan, there was a story about him not putting a 7 iron in his bag for a tournament, someone asked him why, he responded along the lines of "there are no 7 iron shots on this course"

If you know that before you even tee off, then you know exactly where you want to hit every shot on every hole (and will actually hit them shots as well)

Which turns out to be quite apt for the thread

Edited by Superbrit, 11 July 2018 - 06:18 AM.

Taylormade M3 440 9.5*
Taylormade M3 3 wood 15*
Adams Proto DHY 21*
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-6
Mizuno MP-18 SC 7- 9
Titleist SM7 Jet Black 46/50/56/60
Radius Classic 3

23

#114 Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69095
  • Joined: 11/11/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:32 AM

View PostMattyO1984, on 05 July 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

View PostJimmy Mac, on 05 July 2018 - 12:27 PM, said:

I'll be at Carnoustie for Sunday's round. Then in St Andrews Monday/Tuesday to see practice rounds for the Senior Open.

Any advice for a first-time visitor to Carnoustie / The Open? Great viewing locations? Things not to miss?

For me, Carnoustie is much better as a spectator than the Old Course. At the Old Course you are stuck on the outside constantly and it has hard to see the greens because the ropes are so far away. Also as it is pretty much goes all the way out from the 1st to 7th before the loop and then coming all the way back on 12th to 18th it is hard to get caught up on too much.

Carnoustie is much more self contained. The 8th and 9th are the furthest out the Championship course goes and it still surprises me how close you are to the hotel. If you can, get behind the 6th tee. It is really cool to see how the Pro's take that shot on.

Thanks so much for the reply, very much looking forward to the Championship. Cheers.

24

#115 Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69095
  • Joined: 11/11/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

View PostRalphyboy84, on 05 July 2018 - 05:28 PM, said:

Yup won't be able to get behind the 6th tee. There's a lot of really good grandstands though that cover a few holes. There's one behind the 3rd tee that also shows you the 5th green and 6th tee. There's a good one on the 8th that shows approach shots into 7, all of 8 and tee shots on 13. Then there's one on 13 that lets you see the 12th and 13th green.

In my opinion it's a great course for spectating on

Thanks for the information. I'll be sure to check out all of those locations. Cheers.


25

#116 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,377 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:3.1
GolfWRX Likes : 6991

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:10 PM

View Postlowheel, on 06 July 2018 - 04:56 AM, said:

View PostSean2, on 05 July 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

I am watching the Irish Open, and that course is proving to be quite a test, and the weather is perfect today...sunshine, hardly any wind. I can't imagine what Carnoustie will be like.

Very demanding off the tee but if its dry alot of driving irons off the tees will neutralize some of the danger. I actually think it plays tougher wet
Unless there is a big change the course will be very dry. Watching the Scottish Open right now reminds me of Hoylake in '06 and then there is this as well........
https://news.sky.com...dscape-11434124
TM M3 440 10* Graphite Design AD IZ 6x
TM M1 3w 14*  Graphite Design BB7s
TM M2  5w 18* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8S or Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-AW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Titleist Vokey 54*F  58*S
Toulon Garage Rochester/ Toulon Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

26

#117 nichho

nichho

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75678
  • Joined: 02/19/2009
  • Location:Northern England
  • Ebay ID:nichho
GolfWRX Likes : 975

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:48 PM

View Posti*windows, on 11 July 2018 - 05:50 AM, said:

this is painful to watch



I don't find it painful but it does leave me baffled and bemused. For the life of me I continually struggle to understand why at some point he didn't think stop!! Work out a strategy to win and then commit.
I watched that and found myself wondering what Craig Parry made of it all. Was he silently watching thinking don't, just don't.

I'm there on the Saturday with my son and grandson. Looking forward to the whole thing.
Ping G400 LST Fubuki ZT 60 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 850 Hybrid 16* Orochi stiff
Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 19* TT XP

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 25* TT XP
Ping i200  4 - PW Modus3 105 stiff

Ping i200 U wedge Modus3 105 stiff
Ping Glide 56* AWT Wedge flex
Scotty Cameron Select1

27

#118 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 19243

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

Tiger gonna bring back da baggy pants and score another Bordeaux Cup!


Posted Image

28

#119 cardoustie

cardoustie

    haha, we don't play for 5's

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Tasmania to Canada
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 7258

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:58 PM

going to be an epic championship
I'm calling DJ early
TMade '16 M2 10.75* Diamana BBoard 53x
Ping G400 3w 14.5* Aldila Green NV 75x
Callaway GBB 5w 18* Aldila NVS Pink 85x
Callaway Apex 3h 20* Matrix MFS 85x
Callaway Apex 4h 25* Matrix Altus Red 92x
Ping Rapture J Spec 5-6i Altus Xcon HX3
Ping s55 7 - PW Nippon 1150x
Callaway Forged Copper 50*
Vokey SM6 Brushed Cu 54*M & 58*M  
Piretti Matera Elite

29

#120 IVM

IVM

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401922
  • Joined: 11/05/2015
  • Location:Miami Beach
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:03 PM

Carnoustie will break a lot of hearts next week , and it will be fun to watch a great championship golf course test these fine golf professionals.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors