Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 3 votes

Thoughts on why people are walking away from the game...


770 replies to this topic

#301 wrmiller

wrmiller

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100475
  • Joined: 12/19/2009
  • Location:Hereford, AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 648

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:54 AM

View Postyoungstructural, on 11 July 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

Love how Golfwrx members are more qualified to teach than actual PGA teachers.  

Some are, and some are not. And some can actually play better than most teaching pros as well. Becoming a teaching pro isn't that hard. Some are good at it, some are not.

But if all you have as evidence of ability is what you read here, you really don't know which is which. But that doesn't stop most here (including myself) from espousing an opinion. :)

Edited by wrmiller, 11 July 2018 - 11:07 AM.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#302 MilkyButterCuts

MilkyButterCuts

    Darth Fader

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492318
  • Joined: 01/31/2018
  • Location:Salt Lake City
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 343

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:12 AM

Golf is hard, golf is frustrating, and golf is expensive. Yes, golf is also very enjoyable. Many people don't have the time/money to invest into the sport to get to that point.

For most, golf is an escape from work and/or family problems. I've talked to a lot of people who have tried to play golf and they all say relatively the same thing, "I get to a golf course angry and stressed and leave feeling the same way, add disappointment."

Do I feel that way - no. However I've had a lot of time to work on my game. I think what deters people is time. Not time as in pace of play, but how much time it takes to become a skilled golfer.

2

#303 MountainGoat

MountainGoat

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450210
  • Joined: 12/30/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 1176

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:00 PM

View Postcaniac6, on 27 May 2018 - 05:32 AM, said:

View PostMountainGoat, on 27 May 2018 - 05:09 AM, said:

People are walking away from the game because golf isn't that much fun.  It's work.  It takes tons of time, effort and money to play well enough to enjoy the game.  In my case, I've been playing for over 50 years, and it's more of a part-time job than enjoyable leisure activity.  I don't like the person I become when I play.  Golf drives me into a concentrated head space that makes me difficult to be around.  Sometimes I'm quite ashamed of myself.  The notion that it teaches positive values like honesty and integrity is just a lie.  Judging by the people I see, it actually teaches discourtesy, gambling and drunkenness.  I wouldn't advise people to get involved with the game.  Like an abusive lover, golf promises much more than it delivers, and the entire relationship is often toxic.
Why do you play? I've also been playing as long as you, and my experiences are just about opposite of yours. If it ever became work for me, I'd quit!

Yes, that's the point of this thread.

3

#304 youngstructural

youngstructural

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113912
  • Joined: 08/30/2010
  • Location:Detroit
  • Handicap:7.8
  • Ebay ID:youngstructural
GolfWRX Likes : 492

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

Golf is hard.

It's that easy.  If you don't quickly develop a love for it you'll give it up.  That simple.
Callaway Rogue SZ, w/AD-TP 7x, 8.0*
Callaway Rouge SZ w/AD-DI 7x, 13.5*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid 18*
Titleist AP3 718 4-pw (weakened 2*)
Bettinardi Studio 28 Arm Lock
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Titleist ProV1x (2017)

4

#305 third-times-a-charm

third-times-a-charm

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464568
  • Joined: 04/22/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 613

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:20 PM

View Postyoungstructural, on 11 July 2018 - 12:13 PM, said:

Golf is hard.

It's that easy.  If you don't quickly develop a love for it you'll give it up.  That simple.

I like golf more now than I ever have BECAUSE it's hard. Its the only thing in my life I've never been able to master inside of a few days. It intrigues me.

Long Live Nike

5

#306 Mikey5e

Mikey5e

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494264
  • Joined: 02/21/2018
  • Location:ohio
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

View Post2putttom, on 11 July 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

because they can't sink a three foot putt for an eagle
Evidently you have difficulty sinking a 3 ft putt for eagle, hence your call name, 2putttom!

6

#307 ClintDagger

ClintDagger

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 325211
  • Joined: 07/07/2014
  • Location:Las Colinas, TX
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 567

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:05 PM

My first home course was a little muni track that I got to play for free year round because I was on the golf team.  When I was 14-17y/o (late 90s-ish) that course was crawling with blue collar types.  Iím talking guys in their 50s & 60s that wore work shirts, work boots, and jeans to the course even in the dead of summer.  They played in 5-somes and had their money games and despite having homemade swings could get around the course with respectability.  Now you also had your kids and more polished golf types but those people seem to still be playing.  Itís these blue collar types that I donít see anymore when I go to my old stomping grounds.  I think golf was on its way to a decline right when Tiger showed up and brought in a bunch of new blood from 2000-2008 or so.  But those people were more Tiger fans than golf fans and with his decline their interest waned.  That bandaid is gone and now we see where golf was heading all along.

Cost, time, instruction, attention span, yeah those are all huge issues but I think golf (much like bowling) has suffered due to the easily accessible forms of entertainment out there thanks to video games, cable tv, the internet, smart phones, etcetera.  I think it belongs alongside more specialized hobbies like fishing, hunting, hiking, biking etcetera that are reserved for enthusiasts who take it very seriously.  I think it will take another Tiger coming along to create another boom.  And I am skeptical that you can catch that lightning in a bottle ever again.

Edited by ClintDagger, 11 July 2018 - 03:10 PM.


7

#308 FourTops

FourTops

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500886
  • Joined: 05/04/2018
  • Location:FL
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 722

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:42 PM

View PostLagavulin62, on 11 July 2018 - 06:11 AM, said:

View Postyoungstructural, on 11 July 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

Love how Golfwrx members are more qualified to teach than actual PGA teachers.  


I think teaching pros are at a disadvatage in that most people expect to pick up the game so quickly, and when they don't, they feel they had a poor teacher. So pros don't have the luxery of teaching a few basics and letting trial and error take its run. With a family member or friend you wouldn't bog them down with too much detail. A work in progress would be understood.

Yes and no.  Pro's teach what they believe to be the "best" golf swing...how they learned...how they "feel", what they "do" during the swing.  That means they disregard the student as an individual who may swing like Furyk or Daly,  so they're talked out of that swing in favor of what the pro thinks is best.  That can lead to years of tension and anxiety....trying to do something that's never going to work, or far too long of a struggle and complete waste of time.

Besides, the best players are not always the best teachers.  I like Malaska, Sparks, Boomer, Ernest Jones, the Canadian Pro Ron "LearningtheRealSwing", Paul Wilson, Shawn Clement and many others because they simplify the golf swing instead of analyzing every 1/8th inch of movement.  Notice i didn't include "Tiger, Phil, and other tour pro's on the list?

Edited by FourTops, 11 July 2018 - 08:43 PM.


8

#309 ClintDagger

ClintDagger

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 325211
  • Joined: 07/07/2014
  • Location:Las Colinas, TX
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 567

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:55 PM

View PostFourTops, on 11 July 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostLagavulin62, on 11 July 2018 - 06:11 AM, said:

View Postyoungstructural, on 11 July 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

Love how Golfwrx members are more qualified to teach than actual PGA teachers.  


I think teaching pros are at a disadvatage in that most people expect to pick up the game so quickly, and when they don't, they feel they had a poor teacher. So pros don't have the luxery of teaching a few basics and letting trial and error take its run. With a family member or friend you wouldn't bog them down with too much detail. A work in progress would be understood.

Yes and no.  Pro's teach what they believe to be the "best" golf swing...how they learned...how they "feel", what they "do" during the swing.  That means they disregard the student as an individual who may swing like Furyk or Daly,  so they're talked out of that swing in favor of what the pro thinks is best.  That can lead to years of tension and anxiety....trying to do something that's never going to work, or far too long of a struggle and complete waste of time.

Besides, the best players are not always the best teachers.  I like Malaska, Sparks, Boomer, Ernest Jones, the Canadian Pro Ron "LearningtheRealSwing", Paul Wilson, Shawn Clement and many others because they simplify the golf swing instead of analyzing every 1/8th inch of movement.  Notice i didn't include "Tiger, Phil, and other tour pro's on the list?
Teaching, whether itís golf or anything else, is all about communicating.  Iíve been around a dozen or so Club Professionals in my 20 or so years playing golf and not one of them did I think was a good teacher.  They were all great dudes and tremendous assets to the clubs they are oversaw but being a teacher is really, really hard.  The guys you mentioned as great teachers are good communicators.  They can turn on a camera and just talk and they get their point across.  Iíve seen a few posters on this site give tips and communicate it in a way that was better than any teaching pro Iíve ever seen in action.  Itís just a hard thing to be good at.

9

#310 FourTops

FourTops

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500886
  • Joined: 05/04/2018
  • Location:FL
  • Handicap:5.7
GolfWRX Likes : 722

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:14 PM

View PostClintDagger, on 11 July 2018 - 09:55 PM, said:

View PostFourTops, on 11 July 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostLagavulin62, on 11 July 2018 - 06:11 AM, said:

View Postyoungstructural, on 11 July 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

Love how Golfwrx members are more qualified to teach than actual PGA teachers.  


I think teaching pros are at a disadvatage in that most people expect to pick up the game so quickly, and when they don't, they feel they had a poor teacher. So pros don't have the luxery of teaching a few basics and letting trial and error take its run. With a family member or friend you wouldn't bog them down with too much detail. A work in progress would be understood.

Yes and no.  Pro's teach what they believe to be the "best" golf swing...how they learned...how they "feel", what they "do" during the swing.  That means they disregard the student as an individual who may swing like Furyk or Daly,  so they're talked out of that swing in favor of what the pro thinks is best.  That can lead to years of tension and anxiety....trying to do something that's never going to work, or far too long of a struggle and complete waste of time.

Besides, the best players are not always the best teachers.  I like Malaska, Sparks, Boomer, Ernest Jones, the Canadian Pro Ron "LearningtheRealSwing", Paul Wilson, Shawn Clement and many others because they simplify the golf swing instead of analyzing every 1/8th inch of movement.  Notice i didn't include "Tiger, Phil, and other tour pro's on the list?
Teaching, whether it's golf or anything else, is all about communicating.  I've been around a dozen or so Club Professionals in my 20 or so years playing golf and not one of them did I think was a good teacher.  They were all great dudes and tremendous assets to the clubs they are oversaw but being a teacher is really, really hard.  The guys you mentioned as great teachers are good communicators.  They can turn on a camera and just talk and they get their point across.  I've seen a few posters on this site give tips and communicate it in a way that was better than any teaching pro I've ever seen in action.  It's just a hard thing to be good at.

Precisely.  I recall a geometry teacher that I was struggling to learn anything...then my slightly older brother stepped in and showed me basic examples of what geometry was all about...why it is used...and suddenly learning geometry wasn't hard anymore.   Remember, teaching pro's at clubs are guys who couldn't make it in the big league, they worked on THEIR swing all their life...so naturally they teach their swing...or some tour pro they think is someone to copy.

Edited by FourTops, 11 July 2018 - 10:14 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#311 RobE

RobE

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 507000
  • Joined: 07/11/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:11 AM

View Postdedicated2journey, on 26 May 2018 - 07:42 AM, said:

When is the last time you had to buy a new baseball bat or glove?
What about a new football?
Maybe you need a new tennis racket?
How about a racketball racket?
You must need a better basketball this year?

NO? What?!?!?!

How do you expect the sports equipment manufacturers to survive? OMG...!!!


All I see is greed from the big manufacturers of this game. Many would say it's back lash from the tiger era...I say it's human nature unchecked. I pray bifurcation solves this problem...but I know it won't. Capitalism is kind of a monster when left to it's own devices...but I guess regulation is kind of a joke too. Hmmmm....

I get so confused as to why golf manufacturers think they need to put out new clubs and balls every year? Seems like a lot of effort for no reason other than profit. Kind of silly IMHO...bet they could be doing better things with their time and capital.

People are sick of spending $600 on a driver that doesn't work. $1000+ for irons that aren't fit right for them. Damn near $200 a wedge now?!?!?!?!

Mind blowing...

When I was playing baseball/softball, I got new bats every year, new glove every other year.
Footballs, even playing in the neighborhood we'd shred them in a year.
Tennis racket, needed re-strung every couple of months, new racket about once a year or so.
Racketball racket, see tennis racket above.
Basketballs, see footballs above.

I see it kind of like automobiles. The manufacturers come out with new models every year to attract new buyers with the latest and greatest features; if you bought a car last year they're not expecting to see you, BUT if you get the itch for something shiny and new they'll gladly take your money.
And that's the thing, nobody's forcing you to go down to the local golf shop and whip out your wallet.
And if you get attract like a deer to headlights, that's not their fault.

As the initial respondent noted, golf has never been cheap, and in the greater scheme of things golf equipment is cheaper today than it was back in the day (if you factor in inflation).
And here's the final rub, whether it be automobiles or golf equipment, the quickest way for any manufacturer to fall by the wayside is to not be on the forefront of the latest releases.

11

#312 youngstructural

youngstructural

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113912
  • Joined: 08/30/2010
  • Location:Detroit
  • Handicap:7.8
  • Ebay ID:youngstructural
GolfWRX Likes : 492

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:33 AM

Best golf instruction I ever got was from studying the TGM with a certified instructor, we've been studying it for many years.  I dont think in terms of it whilst playing but understanding certain mechanics is crucial.  Everything else just becomes finding and attaching a feel to the mechanic.
Callaway Rogue SZ, w/AD-TP 7x, 8.0*
Callaway Rouge SZ w/AD-DI 7x, 13.5*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid 18*
Titleist AP3 718 4-pw (weakened 2*)
Bettinardi Studio 28 Arm Lock
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Titleist ProV1x (2017)

12

#313 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1745

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:45 AM

View PostFourTops, on 11 July 2018 - 10:14 PM, said:

View PostClintDagger, on 11 July 2018 - 09:55 PM, said:

View PostFourTops, on 11 July 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostLagavulin62, on 11 July 2018 - 06:11 AM, said:

View Postyoungstructural, on 11 July 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

Love how Golfwrx members are more qualified to teach than actual PGA teachers.  


I think teaching pros are at a disadvatage in that most people expect to pick up the game so quickly, and when they don't, they feel they had a poor teacher. So pros don't have the luxery of teaching a few basics and letting trial and error take its run. With a family member or friend you wouldn't bog them down with too much detail. A work in progress would be understood.

Yes and no.  Pro's teach what they believe to be the "best" golf swing...how they learned...how they "feel", what they "do" during the swing.  That means they disregard the student as an individual who may swing like Furyk or Daly,  so they're talked out of that swing in favor of what the pro thinks is best.  That can lead to years of tension and anxiety....trying to do something that's never going to work, or far too long of a struggle and complete waste of time.

Besides, the best players are not always the best teachers.  I like Malaska, Sparks, Boomer, Ernest Jones, the Canadian Pro Ron "LearningtheRealSwing", Paul Wilson, Shawn Clement and many others because they simplify the golf swing instead of analyzing every 1/8th inch of movement.  Notice i didn't include "Tiger, Phil, and other tour pro's on the list?
Teaching, whether it's golf or anything else, is all about communicating.  I've been around a dozen or so Club Professionals in my 20 or so years playing golf and not one of them did I think was a good teacher.  They were all great dudes and tremendous assets to the clubs they are oversaw but being a teacher is really, really hard.  The guys you mentioned as great teachers are good communicators.  They can turn on a camera and just talk and they get their point across.  I've seen a few posters on this site give tips and communicate it in a way that was better than any teaching pro I've ever seen in action.  It's just a hard thing to be good at.

Precisely.  I recall a geometry teacher that I was struggling to learn anything...then my slightly older brother stepped in and showed me basic examples of what geometry was all about...why it is used...and suddenly learning geometry wasn't hard anymore.   Remember, teaching pro's at clubs are guys who couldn't make it in the big league, they worked on THEIR swing all their life...so naturally they teach their swing...or some tour pro they think is someone to copy.

The very best golf instructors don't teach "their" swing, they teach a swing that they believe the student can repeat with consistency. Not all students are created equally.

Vis-a-vis your older brother - many years in the office as a senior technical type I'd have to explain something to a more junior person. They didn't get it. I tried explaining it a little different way. Nope.

I'd have another person try to explain it. Still didn't get it. And then someone else says exactly the same thing slightly differently and the junior person said "Oh, I get it. That's what you guys meant ?". Been on the junior's side of the equation many times myself. :)

Very common.

And the best players OFTEN don't teach at all; at least not formally. If you remember, Nicklaus' book is "Golf My Way" and he clearly explains "This is how *I* do it" (not necessarily the way you should).

And how many HOF players make the best Managers/coaches in professional sports ? Hint - not many. Couple of reasons actually. The prevailing theory I've heard is that they can't "comprehend" why what they did so easily their players can't do. Another is, if they were Hall of Famers they've already made all the money they'll ever need. Why break your back and get frustrated in the bargain ? :dntknw:

Edited by nsxguy, 12 July 2018 - 10:29 AM.

Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Ping G20 5-P, DG S300

Titleist 816 AP-1 5-P+W2, DGS300
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58* SW & 64* LW

Scotty Select Newport 2 (today)

Titleist AVX

13

#314 davep043

davep043

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Joined: 12/20/2017
  • Location:Reston, VA, and Southern Pines, NC
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1773

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:17 AM

View Postnsxguy, on 12 July 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:


And the best teachers OFTEN don't teach at all; at least not formally. If you remember, Nicklaus' book is "Golf My Way" and he clearly explains "This is how *I* do it" (not necessarily the way you should).

Another issue that arises from books like "Golf MY Way" and Hogan's Five Lessons is that they're explaining based on what they felt they were doing.  Super slo-mo video (or movies) were very rare, so they couldn't accurately see what they were really doing, all they had were feels.  There's nothing wrong with those feels, but the same feel can produce widely varying motions in different people.

Separately, great golfers don't necessarily make great teachers because most of them worked really hard at their own golf swing, but they didn't always learn very much at all about the golf swing in general.

14

#315 wrmiller

wrmiller

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100475
  • Joined: 12/19/2009
  • Location:Hereford, AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 648

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:39 AM

A friend of mine in the Corps called golf "cow pasture pool", and thought it was a very stupid idea of a sport. One day he was looking for me and found me out at the local driving range. After watching me a bit, he said that golf looked pretty easy.

I handed him a club.

After about a dozen wiffs, chunks, and skulls, he proclaimed the game too stupid, and almost threw my club. I asked him to show me his baseball swing (he was a good college player). Then I had him repeat the same swing when bent over at the waist. Better. Then I told him to take a slo-mo swing and stop at the bottom, look at the face of the club, and adjust your grip so that the face is perpendicular to the direction the club was swinging in.

Took several tries, but soon he was making (very) solid contact with the ball. Big strong boy, no control. Yet. :)

Long story short, he was the first person I actually tried to help. We finally got him down to single digits after about 10 months. It was mostly him though, I just pointed out a few things from time to time. I couldn't see myself teaching though. I'm not a people person.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

15

#316 DevilDog

DevilDog

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127483
  • Joined: 04/25/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 949

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:39 PM

Most people walk away out of frustration, lack of time or cost to play or a combination of these things.  I believe instruction causes some frustration in that not everyone can do 'the' moves.  As for instruction, someone can teach you the setup and basic motions but not everyone can make the picture perfect moves and have to find an adaptation that does work.

16

#317 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Joined: 05/21/2013
  • Location:Jersey
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 13559

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:25 PM

View Postwrmiller, on 11 July 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

View Postyoungstructural, on 11 July 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

Love how Golfwrx members are more qualified to teach than actual PGA teachers.  

Some are, and some are not. And some can actually play better than most teaching pros as well. Becoming a teaching pro isn't that hard. Some are good at it, some are not.

But if all you have as evidence of ability is what you read here, you really don't know which is which. But that doesn't stop most here (including myself) from espousing an opinion. :)

A bunch of years ago, I played in a pro-member scramble tournament, each team 3 members and 1 of the CC's pros. We had our head pro on our team. I was playing a lot at that time and playing well. This is a not very passive brag, but we used my ball more than all others, including the pro. They are not gods or imbued with special powers.
GOLF WRX has become a contentious, despotic website where trolls abound and free exchange of ideas is suppressed.

17

#318 ClintDagger

ClintDagger

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 325211
  • Joined: 07/07/2014
  • Location:Las Colinas, TX
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 567

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

View Postthug the bunny, on 13 July 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

View Postwrmiller, on 11 July 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

View Postyoungstructural, on 11 July 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

Love how Golfwrx members are more qualified to teach than actual PGA teachers.  

Some are, and some are not. And some can actually play better than most teaching pros as well. Becoming a teaching pro isn't that hard. Some are good at it, some are not.

But if all you have as evidence of ability is what you read here, you really don't know which is which. But that doesn't stop most here (including myself) from espousing an opinion. :)

A bunch of years ago, I played in a pro-member scramble tournament, each team 3 members and 1 of the CC's pros. We had our head pro on our team. I was playing a lot at that time and playing well. This is a not very passive brag, but we used my ball more than all others, including the pro. They are not gods or imbued with special powers.
The club pros I know never play.  And I mean never.  A few of them are club pros at big time courses too.

18

#319 BigLeftyinAZ

BigLeftyinAZ

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8850
  • Joined: 12/17/2005
  • Location:San Antonio, TX
  • Ebay ID:clnconcpts
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:42 PM

Rounds taking over 4.5 hrs. People not knowing how to play ready golf or playing from wrong tees. Searching too long for lost ball, waiting for par 5 green to clear from 245 out when you haven't got any shot that far all day . Lots of reasons to quit the game today . Cost to play is through the roof . Courses are having to be built  to play 7500+ yards with tricked up greens to make up for distance gains with new equipment

19

#320 fbang

fbang

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128182
  • Joined: 05/06/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:54 PM

View PostClintDagger, on 13 July 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 13 July 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

View Postwrmiller, on 11 July 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

View Postyoungstructural, on 11 July 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

Love how Golfwrx members are more qualified to teach than actual PGA teachers.  

Some are, and some are not. And some can actually play better than most teaching pros as well. Becoming a teaching pro isn't that hard. Some are good at it, some are not.

But if all you have as evidence of ability is what you read here, you really don't know which is which. But that doesn't stop most here (including myself) from espousing an opinion. :)

A bunch of years ago, I played in a pro-member scramble tournament, each team 3 members and 1 of the CC's pros. We had our head pro on our team. I was playing a lot at that time and playing well. This is a not very passive brag, but we used my ball more than all others, including the pro. They are not gods or imbued with special powers.
The club pros I know never play.  And I mean never.  A few of them are club pros at big time courses too.

There are a lot of hack pros that make the good ones look pretty bad.  At the same time, there are a bunch of great teachers that never played all that well themselves.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#321 MountainGoat

MountainGoat

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450210
  • Joined: 12/30/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 1176

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:52 AM

View Postfbang, on 15 July 2018 - 09:54 PM, said:

View PostClintDagger, on 13 July 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 13 July 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

View Postwrmiller, on 11 July 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

View Postyoungstructural, on 11 July 2018 - 05:40 AM, said:

Love how Golfwrx members are more qualified to teach than actual PGA teachers.  

Some are, and some are not. And some can actually play better than most teaching pros as well. Becoming a teaching pro isn't that hard. Some are good at it, some are not.

But if all you have as evidence of ability is what you read here, you really don't know which is which. But that doesn't stop most here (including myself) from espousing an opinion. :)

A bunch of years ago, I played in a pro-member scramble tournament, each team 3 members and 1 of the CC's pros. We had our head pro on our team. I was playing a lot at that time and playing well. This is a not very passive brag, but we used my ball more than all others, including the pro. They are not gods or imbued with special powers.
The club pros I know never play.  And I mean never.  A few of them are club pros at big time courses too.

There are a lot of hack pros that make the good ones look pretty bad.  At the same time, there are a bunch of great teachers that never played all that well themselves.

Golf is the only activity I can think of where all of the teachers are failures.   Not a single golf teacher went to school with the intention of growing up to become a teacher.  They are all players who simply ran out of competitive gas and started teaching in order to stay in the business.  At some point, they all failed as players and started teaching instead.

21

#322 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Joined: 10/30/2016
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 690

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:24 AM

Yeah, golfís version of the High School coach teaching History.

22

#323 Browns71213

Browns71213

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428076
  • Joined: 06/06/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 231

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

Costs too much money & takes too much time. Fix those, which no one ever will, and you will see a resurgence in the sport.
Calloway Big Bertha 460 9* Driver
Cleveland HiBore XLS S 13* 3 Wood
Kasco Super Hyten K2K 33 16* Hybrid
Kasco Super Hyten K2K 44 19* Hybrid
Original King Cobra Irons 4-SW
Snake Eyes 58* Wedge
Odyssey Versa #7H 35" Putter

23

#324 davep043

davep043

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Joined: 12/20/2017
  • Location:Reston, VA, and Southern Pines, NC
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1773

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:00 AM

View PostMountainGoat, on 16 July 2018 - 05:52 AM, said:


Golf is the only activity I can think of where all of the teachers are failures.   Not a single golf teacher went to school with the intention of growing up to become a teacher.  They are all players who simply ran out of competitive gas and started teaching in order to stay in the business.  At some point, they all failed as players and started teaching instead.
I don't believe this is true at all.  By the time most golfers leave high school they have at least an idea of their chances of making a pro tour. Most know its simply not a realistic possibility, yet many choose a career in golf.  They may aspire to be a club pro, to be a sales rep, a club manager, a teacher, any kind of career in the golf world.  I know a teaching pro whose only ambition is to teach, and he does it pretty well.  He's slogged through the PGA apprentice program to get that specific credential, but his knowledge of the golf swing far exceeds anything taught in the PGA curriculum.  If you want to call everyone who makes an informed decision NOT to play golf for a living a "failure", I suppose that's one definition.  In my experience, most golf teachers have never really tried to make their living actually playing, so its hard for me to label them so harshly.

24

#325 Mikey5e

Mikey5e

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494264
  • Joined: 02/21/2018
  • Location:ohio
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:01 AM

View PostBigLeftyinAZ, on 15 July 2018 - 09:42 PM, said:

waiting for par 5 green to clear from 245 out when you haven't got any shot that far all day.
Read this post:
http://www.golfwrx.c...__fromsearch__1


25

#326 mtg

mtg

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440414
  • Joined: 09/13/2016
  • Location:Atlanta
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:15 AM

Takes too much time. Which is why the ball has hurt the game. A shorter ball is easier to walk to and goes less offline. No better way to speed up the game then to shorten the ball and shrink golf courses. I just don’t see the setbacks of a shorter ball, why are people so emotional about it.
Epic SZ | AD-GP 7x
Cobra F7 3w | AD-DI 8x (tipped 1")
Srixon 565 4i; 945 5-PW | Modus 120x
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 59 | S400 TI
Tour Edge DG Tour Proto v1.2

26

#327 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Joined: 05/21/2013
  • Location:Jersey
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 13559

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

View Postdavep043, on 16 July 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

View PostMountainGoat, on 16 July 2018 - 05:52 AM, said:

Golf is the only activity I can think of where all of the teachers are failures.   Not a single golf teacher went to school with the intention of growing up to become a teacher.  They are all players who simply ran out of competitive gas and started teaching in order to stay in the business.  At some point, they all failed as players and started teaching instead.
I don't believe this is true at all.  By the time most golfers leave high school they have at least an idea of their chances of making a pro tour. Most know its simply not a realistic possibility, yet many choose a career in golf.  They may aspire to be a club pro, to be a sales rep, a club manager, a teacher, any kind of career in the golf world.  I know a teaching pro whose only ambition is to teach, and he does it pretty well.  He's slogged through the PGA apprentice program to get that specific credential, but his knowledge of the golf swing far exceeds anything taught in the PGA curriculum.  If you want to call everyone who makes an informed decision NOT to play golf for a living a "failure", I suppose that's one definition.  In my experience, most golf teachers have never really tried to make their living actually playing, so its hard for me to label them so harshly.

I think every single kid who makes it onto a college golf team wants to see how good they can get with the possibility of getting to a tour. Then when it becomes obvious that it's not gonna happen some of them become club pros. I personally know 3 kids who have just taken this path.
GOLF WRX has become a contentious, despotic website where trolls abound and free exchange of ideas is suppressed.

27

#328 whynotgolf

whynotgolf

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503864
  • Joined: 06/05/2018
  • Location:GA
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:57 AM

View PostMilkyButterCuts, on 11 July 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

Golf is hard, golf is frustrating, and golf is expensive. Yes, golf is also very enjoyable. Many people don't have the time/money to invest into the sport to get to that point.

For most, golf is an escape from work and/or family problems. I've talked to a lot of people who have tried to play golf and they all say relatively the same thing, "I get to a golf course angry and stressed and leave feeling the same way, add disappointment."

Do I feel that way - no. However I've had a lot of time to work on my game. I think what deters people is time. Not time as in pace of play, but how much time it takes to become a skilled golfer.

I think what makes golf hard particularly for male golfers is Tour golf. Those guys make it look so easy, but we don't see the 1,000s of hours of practice. Our egos are hard to overcome.

Secondly, no matter how much time you spend on the range hitting balls, you can't learn to play golf on the range. From my experience you need to develop a consistent golf swing, and that does take some time, but you learn to play by playing.

28

#329 davep043

davep043

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Joined: 12/20/2017
  • Location:Reston, VA, and Southern Pines, NC
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1773

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:01 AM

View Postthug the bunny, on 16 July 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

View Postdavep043, on 16 July 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

View PostMountainGoat, on 16 July 2018 - 05:52 AM, said:

Golf is the only activity I can think of where all of the teachers are failures.   Not a single golf teacher went to school with the intention of growing up to become a teacher.  They are all players who simply ran out of competitive gas and started teaching in order to stay in the business.  At some point, they all failed as players and started teaching instead.
I don't believe this is true at all.  By the time most golfers leave high school they have at least an idea of their chances of making a pro tour. Most know its simply not a realistic possibility, yet many choose a career in golf.  They may aspire to be a club pro, to be a sales rep, a club manager, a teacher, any kind of career in the golf world.  I know a teaching pro whose only ambition is to teach, and he does it pretty well.  He's slogged through the PGA apprentice program to get that specific credential, but his knowledge of the golf swing far exceeds anything taught in the PGA curriculum.  If you want to call everyone who makes an informed decision NOT to play golf for a living a "failure", I suppose that's one definition.  In my experience, most golf teachers have never really tried to make their living actually playing, so its hard for me to label them so harshly.

I think every single kid who makes it onto a college golf team wants to see how good they can get with the possibility of getting to a tour. Then when it becomes obvious that it's not gonna happen some of them become club pros. I personally know 3 kids who have just taken this path.
This makes sense to me.  Are those kids "failures" for understanding the limits of their abilities, and making a reasonable choice based on their own limits?  Not in my book.

29

#330 whynotgolf

whynotgolf

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 503864
  • Joined: 06/05/2018
  • Location:GA
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:02 AM

View Postmtg, on 16 July 2018 - 10:15 AM, said:

Takes too much time. Which is why the ball has hurt the game. A shorter ball is easier to walk to and goes less offline. No better way to speed up the game then to shorten the ball and shrink golf courses. I just don’t see the setbacks of a shorter ball, why are people so emotional about it.

I can buy this on some level, but one can play 9 holes. It's even encouraged now and the forward tees have always been there.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors