Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2018 NCAA Menís Championships


87 replies to this topic

#61 cxx

cxx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142023
  • Joined: 10/10/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 780

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:57 AM

 bladehunter, on 30 May 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

Anyone else notice that Davis Riley from Bama ?   what a big kid with a perfect swing !   and shortgame is super good..  Ill look to see him on tour at some point...

I'd rather see that guy from Oklahoma with the crazy swing make it.  Much more entertaining.

Edit: Matthew Wolff

Edited by cxx, 31 May 2018 - 08:32 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 cxx

cxx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142023
  • Joined: 10/10/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 780

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:01 AM

 Darth Putter, on 30 May 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

I realize that it prevents injury from not carrying a bag on your shoulder.

I realize that you are less tired and will play better using one.

But college aged men using push carts?

Posted Image

Do you walk or ride?

2

#63 br61

br61

    3x Hackin' Hall of Shame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,410 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49
  • Joined: 04/18/2005
  • Location:SW Missouri
  • Handicap:+0.6
  • Ebay ID:br-61
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:12 AM

 Night train, on 30 May 2018 - 05:02 PM, said:

Oklahoma State is putting on a clinic.........some impressive golf!

Yup, best 4 scores are cumulative 21 under par! That is mindboggling in college golf especially on that hard course.

Edited by br61, 31 May 2018 - 08:13 AM.

A bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80 stiff
816H1 19* & 23* Speeder 8.8 stiff
716 AP2 4-PW AMT S300
TM bronze MG 52, 56 & 60 Modus wedge 115 stiff
Bobby Grace LFI 45"

3

#64 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 18100

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:13 AM

 cxx, on 31 May 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

 Darth Putter, on 30 May 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

I realize that it prevents injury from not carrying a bag on your shoulder.

I realize that you are less tired and will play better using one.

But college aged men using push carts?

Posted Image

Do you walk or ride?

I walk almost 100% of my rounds.  And carry.    Never used a push cart.  Are they that easy to use ?  I figure the aggravation of pushing the thing is worse than the small load to carry.  But I frequently change my mind on things Iíve never tried. So.

Edited by bladehunter, 31 May 2018 - 08:14 AM.

Callaway Rogue 9.8 Tour issue Rogue Black 80TX  playing at 43 1/4
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Bridgestone Tour B-XH 18 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
Vokey Tour issue raw SM6   50 f  54  60 M  Modus 130S
Cameron GSS 1.5 009  Vertical stamp , tungsten sole weights

hows that for brand loyalty??

4

#65 B_of_H

B_of_H

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246729
  • Joined: 04/22/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

push carts provide an advantage for sure and anyone who doesn't use one is not doing everything within the rules to win.  If they were a thing when I played in college I would have happily used one no matter what other people said.

Titleist 910D3 9.5* Aldila RIP 80x
Titleist 910F2 15* Aldila RIP 80x
P790 UDI 18*, 4 iron 22* Modus 3 120x
JPX 919 Tour 5-9 (+1*) Modus 3 120x
Vokey sm7 45* 50* s300
Vokey sm6 55* s300
Vokey TVD-M 60* s200
1994 Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport 35"
Pro V1

5

#66 cxx

cxx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142023
  • Joined: 10/10/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 780

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:30 AM

 bladehunter, on 31 May 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

 cxx, on 31 May 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

 Darth Putter, on 30 May 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

I realize that it prevents injury from not carrying a bag on your shoulder.

I realize that you are less tired and will play better using one.

But college aged men using push carts?

Posted Image

Do you walk or ride?

I walk almost 100% of my rounds.  And carry. Never used a push cart.  Are they that easy to use ?  I figure the aggravation of pushing the thing is worse than the small load to carry.  But I frequently change my mind on things I've never tried. So.

I used to carry all the time but it started to pull on my back, ruined a lot of shirts/sweaters and was a constant struggle to keep weight out of the bag.  Push carts are much easier on the back, but do have their drawbacks.  Overall weight goes up, which is only apparent on up hill parts of the course.

6

#67 Birdie Mac

Birdie Mac

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490658
  • Joined: 01/10/2018
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:49 AM

 B_of_H, on 31 May 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

push carts provide an advantage for sure and anyone who doesn't use one is not doing everything within the rules to win.  If they were a thing when I played in college I would have happily used one no matter what other people said.

I suppose you're right, but I never liked them myself - looks odd. Harris English is also not a fan. He sent out a disparaging tweet about them, and several other Tour players - Harman, Horschel, Varner, Lincicome (!) piled on.

I enjoyed watching both the men's and women's tournaments. Look forward to them every year.

7

#68 cxx

cxx

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142023
  • Joined: 10/10/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 780

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:05 AM

 Birdie Mac, on 31 May 2018 - 08:49 AM, said:

 B_of_H, on 31 May 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

push carts provide an advantage for sure and anyone who doesn't use one is not doing everything within the rules to win.  If they were a thing when I played in college I would have happily used one no matter what other people said.

I suppose you're right, but I never liked them myself - looks odd. Harris English is also not a fan. He sent out a disparaging tweet about them, and several other Tour players - Harman, Horschel, Varner, Lincicome (!) piled on.

I enjoyed watching both the men's and women's tournaments. Look forward to them every year.
So I guess you're in good company??

8

#69 Gnomesteel

Gnomesteel

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 302171
  • Joined: 03/17/2014
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:1.3
GolfWRX Likes : 450

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:08 AM

I played high school and college golf. We always walked and carried our bags. This was before push carts became fashionable. Dad gave me one last summer and Iíll never go back for 18 holes. Still carry my bag for 9, but on 18 it makes a huge difference. Much easier on my low back. Iím surprised they donít all use them. In the summer heat Iíd think it would at least save you one shot per round.

Edited by Gnomesteel, 31 May 2018 - 09:09 AM.


9

#70 Birdie Mac

Birdie Mac

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490658
  • Joined: 01/10/2018
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

 cxx, on 31 May 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

 Birdie Mac, on 31 May 2018 - 08:49 AM, said:

 B_of_H, on 31 May 2018 - 08:17 AM, said:

push carts provide an advantage for sure and anyone who doesn't use one is not doing everything within the rules to win.  If they were a thing when I played in college I would have happily used one no matter what other people said.

I suppose you're right, but I never liked them myself - looks odd. Harris English is also not a fan. He sent out a disparaging tweet about them, and several other Tour players - Harman, Horschel, Varner, Lincicome (!) piled on.

I enjoyed watching both the men's and women's tournaments. Look forward to them every year.
So I guess you're in good company??

Yes, that's bragging rights. I have this in common with Tour pros. This, and...well, that's about it.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 Llortamaisey

Llortamaisey

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11574
  • Joined: 02/09/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 2401

Posted 31 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

 cxx, on 31 May 2018 - 07:57 AM, said:

 bladehunter, on 30 May 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

Anyone else notice that Davis Riley from Bama ?   what a big kid with a perfect swing !   and shortgame is super good..  Ill look to see him on tour at some point...

I'd rather see that guy from Oklahoma with the crazy swing make it.  Much more entertaining.

Edit: Matthew Wolff

Wolff has that so called “It” factor that the top PGA Tour players seem to have. It will be fun to watch him on Sundays.

11

#72 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Joined: 05/09/2017
  • Location:Central Illinois
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3960

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

 cxx, on 31 May 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

 Darth Putter, on 30 May 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

I realize that it prevents injury from not carrying a bag on your shoulder.

I realize that you are less tired and will play better using one.

But college aged men using push carts?

Posted Image

Do you walk or ride?

walk
carrying bag on right shoulder
playing since the age of 7, I'm now 48
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

12

#73 Ole3wiggle

Ole3wiggle

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106735
  • Joined: 04/22/2010
  • Location:Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:44 AM

 cxx, on 31 May 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

 bladehunter, on 31 May 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

 cxx, on 31 May 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

 Darth Putter, on 30 May 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

I realize that it prevents injury from not carrying a bag on your shoulder.

I realize that you are less tired and will play better using one.

But college aged men using push carts?

Posted Image

Do you walk or ride?

I walk almost 100% of my rounds.  And carry. Never used a push cart.  Are they that easy to use ?  I figure the aggravation of pushing the thing is worse than the small load to carry.  But I frequently change my mind on things I've never tried. So.

I used to carry all the time but it started to pull on my back, ruined a lot of shirts/sweaters and was a constant struggle to keep weight out of the bag.  Push carts are much easier on the back, but do have their drawbacks.  Overall weight goes up, which is only apparent on up hill parts of the course.

This^

It would depend on what course you're playing. Pushing a cart up and down hills for 18 holes isn't strain-less either. I prefer to just carry on my back, cause that's what I've done my whole life thus far and I feel it's easier. For me the push cart got heavy with the arms later in the round cause your constantly pushing/holding on to something, rather than your arms just hanging as you walk.

To each their own though

Edited by Ole3wiggle, 31 May 2018 - 11:45 AM.


13

#74 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 18100

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:32 PM

 Ole3wiggle, on 31 May 2018 - 11:44 AM, said:

 cxx, on 31 May 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

 bladehunter, on 31 May 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

 cxx, on 31 May 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

 Darth Putter, on 30 May 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

I realize that it prevents injury from not carrying a bag on your shoulder.

I realize that you are less tired and will play better using one.

But college aged men using push carts?

Posted Image

Do you walk or ride?

I walk almost 100% of my rounds.  And carry.    Never used a push cart.  Are they that easy to use ?  I figure the aggravation of pushing the thing is worse than the small load to carry.  But I frequently change my mind on things I've never tried. So.

I used to carry all the time but it started to pull on my back, ruined a lot of shirts/sweaters and was a constant struggle to keep weight out of the bag.  Push carts are much easier on the back, but do have their drawbacks.  Overall weight goes up, which is only apparent on up hill parts of the course.

This^

It would depend on what course you're playing. Pushing a cart up and down hills for 18 holes isn't strain-less either. I prefer to just carry on my back, cause that's what I've done my whole life thus far and I feel it's easier. For me the push cart got heavy with the arms later in the round cause your constantly pushing/holding on to something, rather than your arms just hanging as you walk.

To each their own though


Exactly what Iíd worry aboot.  Not playing many flat open courses it seems like it would be a struggle to push and maneuver.
Callaway Rogue 9.8 Tour issue Rogue Black 80TX  playing at 43 1/4
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Bridgestone Tour B-XH 18 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130X
Vokey Tour issue raw SM6   50 f  54  60 M  Modus 130S
Cameron GSS 1.5 009  Vertical stamp , tungsten sole weights

hows that for brand loyalty??

14

#75 nix

nix

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460232
  • Joined: 03/23/2017
  • Location:Canada
  • Handicap:20.4
GolfWRX Likes : 831

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

People against push carts are typically self-loathing.


15

#76 PuttLeftHitRight

PuttLeftHitRight

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168147
  • Joined: 03/07/2012
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 313

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:46 PM

Anyone who thinks pushing is easy hasn't ever done it. You still get fatigue in certain areas. I've done both and carrying is definitely easier on some courses, but also clearly a bigger issue for your body.

16

#77 ozarkshooter

ozarkshooter

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58267
  • Joined: 06/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

Gotta consider course conditions when deciding pushing vs. carrying.  

Wet, soggy ground, wet rough, steep hills, elevated tee boxes and the terrain between greens and tees can make pushing harder.

I have followed my daughter for 6 years of junior golf and 2 years of college golf so far.  She prefers to carry in 90% of the situations.  Unless, they have 36 holes in a day - then she has to make a decision based on terrain.  My wife is a PT and she cringes seeing many of the girls pushing a cart uphill - they are tired, head down, arms straight out in front of them trying to finish the round.

If carrying a bag is a chore for you: it is either not adjusted properly, your core is not strong, or your core muscles are not balanced.  Over the years, I have seen many, many bag straps not adjusted properly.

17

#78 jjr

jjr

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159147
  • Joined: 01/31/2012
  • Location:With my daughter. Reno, NV
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:30 PM

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, it's within the rules, geez they use rangefinders, I don't remember those being around years ago, no one is complaining about the use!!

I've used a cart (buggy in Europe, widely used there) for 20+ years, much better on the shoulder, though the new bags are better. I like to hydrate too, with as much water as I carry in my bag it would be way to loaded.
When I was younger I felt you were a wimp if you used a push/pull cart, my ex-pro best buddy straightened me out, I've used one ever since. I was the butt of many jokes at the private club I belonged to in the SF Bay Area when I brought a Rickshaw in from Canada 20 years ago, now their everywhere, Lol

Attached Files



18

#79 golfheaven69

golfheaven69

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16985
  • Joined: 07/26/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 288

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

Ego stops many from push carts. That was me before a neck injury. Now I chuckle at guys who lug their bag around for 4 hours. Ego is powerful.

19

#80 nix

nix

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460232
  • Joined: 03/23/2017
  • Location:Canada
  • Handicap:20.4
GolfWRX Likes : 831

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:24 PM

"Wet, soggy ground, wet rough, steep hills, elevated tee boxes and the terrain between greens and tees can make pushing harder."

Yes, but not harder than carrying it.  


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#81 CaseyC

CaseyC

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471942
  • Joined: 06/19/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:30 PM

Kinda funny hearing pros whine about the push carts.    "In my day, we carried our clubs and every hole was up hill and into the wind.  Yeah, now I pay a guy to carry it for me, but GET OFF MY LAWN"....

21

#82 CStephenson17

CStephenson17

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309253
  • Joined: 04/17/2014
  • Location:Oklahoma
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 226

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:38 PM

 Gnomesteel, on 30 May 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

 Holy Moses, on 30 May 2018 - 07:16 AM, said:

Tough course with few birdies, but the layout is spectacular. How does bentgrass survive the summer heat in Oklahoma?

$$$$$$$

Not really. Most courses in OK are bentgrass. Only 4-5 in Tulsa have Bermuda greens.

22

#83 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 7862

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:55 PM

 cxx, on 31 May 2018 - 07:54 AM, said:

 deadsolid...shank, on 30 May 2018 - 07:02 AM, said:

 Aaronwilson_95, on 29 May 2018 - 10:49 PM, said:

 Loki, on 29 May 2018 - 10:21 PM, said:

I didn't particularly like that Everett's coach went up and stood on the spot where he was supposed to hit the layup so that Brock could get a yardage with the laser.  OMG, that kind of thing needs to stop.  I never got that kind of help in HS.

This isn't exactly HS either so you're reasoning has ZERO merit.

Maybe the reasoning  is suspect, I don't know. But its 100% correct that should not be happening.

Doesn't seem any different than pacing it off.

Yeah, you’re probably right. It’s just soemthing about it seems wrong to me. Probably just me.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

23

#84 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 7862

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:01 PM

 golfheaven69, on 31 May 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

Ego stops many from push carts. That was me before a neck injury. Now I chuckle at guys who lug their bag around for 4 hours. Ego is powerful.

What does ego have to do with it. Some (like, myselfwhen I donít ride) would just prefer to carry. I like being able to take the bag with me almost anywhere, especially around the greens. A very light bag with little extra stuff in it is easier for me than pushing a cart.

Nothing to do with ego.

Edited by deadsolid...shank, 31 May 2018 - 11:03 PM.

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

24

#85 golfheaven69

golfheaven69

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16985
  • Joined: 07/26/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 288

Posted 01 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

 deadsolid...shank, on 31 May 2018 - 11:01 PM, said:

 golfheaven69, on 31 May 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

Ego stops many from push carts. That was me before a neck injury. Now I chuckle at guys who lug their bag around for 4 hours. Ego is powerful.

What does ego have to do with it. Some (like, myselfwhen I don’t ride) would just prefer to carry. I like being able to take the bag with me almost anywhere, especially around the greens. A very light bag with little extra stuff in it is easier for me than pushing a cart.

Nothing to do with ego.

Not everyone but many. My buddy pushed for years and went back to carrying for points you mention. . A lot of people refuse to push because they think it’s for old geezers.


25

#86 soregongolfer

soregongolfer

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97841
  • Joined: 11/03/2009
  • Location:Roseburg, OR
GolfWRX Likes : 757

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

 bladehunter, on 31 May 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

 cxx, on 31 May 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

 Darth Putter, on 30 May 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

I realize that it prevents injury from not carrying a bag on your shoulder.

I realize that you are less tired and will play better using one.

But college aged men using push carts?

Posted Image

Do you walk or ride?

I walk almost 100% of my rounds.  And carry. Never used a push cart.  Are they that easy to use ?  I figure the aggravation of pushing the thing is worse than the small load to carry.  But I frequently change my mind on things I've never tried. So.

Take advice from an old guy.  Don't have an opinion to things you've never tried.

26

#87 North Texas

North Texas

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
  • Joined: 02/18/2010
  • Location:North of Dallas
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:36 PM

Just wait until you see the first player using a remote control cart.

Have used one and it is sweet! Just like having a caddie.

27

#88 tiderider

tiderider

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Joined: 06/13/2014
  • Location:b'ham
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 898

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:52 PM

have used a push cart before carrying a reduced bag the last three years and have gone back to a push cart ... it's absolutely laughable that any golfer, amateur or pro, mocks someone for using a push cart ... there are a couple of websites that have researched the calories expended, carrying vs pushing vs riding, and the difference between the former two are negligible (most surprising was the caloric expenditure in swinging a golf club 80 times, much higher than anticipated) ...

https://onpar.blogs....h-hole-debates/

Neil Wolkodoff wondered all those things, too. And as the director of the Center for Health and Sport Science at the Rose Medical Center in Denver, he knew how to find the answers. Two years ago, he bought $27,000 worth of equipment to conduct a painstaking set of tests on amateur golfers. When he was done, he had some findings that could settle a lot of barroom arguments.

For example, in Wolkodoff’s study, golfers scored lower while walking with a caddie or with their clubs on a push cart than they did when using a motorized cart. And golfers carrying a golf bag posted the highest average score.

As one might expect, the most energy was expended while walking with a bag (721 calories burned for nine holes). But walking with a push cart was not far behind (718). Walking with a caddie burned 621 calories for nine holes, and riding in a cart still burned 411 calories on average.

“One of the surprise realizations was that just swinging a golf club about 100 times uses up a significant amount of energy,” Wolkodoff said.

Edited by tiderider, 01 June 2018 - 04:55 PM.


28



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors