Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

At what age does winning become important

84 replies to this topic

#61 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 373

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

Mine hasn't played golf in 3 weeks now. Keeps playing this game called "passball" that I have never heard of before. Appears to be played with random sports-related balls around the house. Hoping this game catches on in D1 before he is ready for college.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1556

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:58 PM

View Postleezer99, on 12 June 2018 - 02:48 PM, said:

My boy didn't win today.  We're selling his clubs for scrap... anyone need some junior golf clothes or a pushcart?

Can you do a WITB so I can see the clubs?  Might be in the market if they are left handed.

#63 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1577

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:59 PM

My boy didn't win today.  We're selling his clubs for scrap... anyone need some junior golf clothes or a pushcart?

I'd take them but my son only plays Taylormade.  thanks tho.
Taylormade M3 GD DI
Taylormade Aeroburnder 3&5 GD DI
Taylormade UDI 1,2 & 3
Miura CB-57 BB (5-PW)
Scratch TD DW 53*, 58*
Taylormade Hi Toe 60*
Odyssey 1WS

#64 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:01 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 12 June 2018 - 02:54 PM, said:

Mine hasn't played golf in 3 weeks now. Keeps playing this game called "passball" that I have never heard of before. Appears to be played with random sports-related balls around the house. Hoping this game catches on in D1 before he is ready for college.

I thought you were going to say "Fortnite".  I am sick of that game.

#65 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:41 PM

View Postkekoa, on 12 June 2018 - 02:59 PM, said:

did you get signed yet?  I hear they start that as early as 7 now.

#66 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 495

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:01 PM

I do have a couple sets of irons to sell if anyone's interested.  PM me if you want details.

#67 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 6055

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

I have plenty of kids who shot high 90s at 13-14 who then became plus handicaps and played in college.  Some of whom never won anything of note yet played college golf on top 20 teams.

#68 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,690 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:45 PM

View Postdarter79, on 12 June 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

View Postkekoa, on 12 June 2018 - 02:59 PM, said:

did you get signed yet?  I hear they start that as early as 7 now.

Yup, he is signed, but we still pay for everything.  :to_become_senile:
Taylormade M3 GD DI
Taylormade UDI 1,2 & 3
Miura CB-57 BB (5-PW)
Scratch TD DW 53*, 58*
Taylormade Hi Toe 60*
Odyssey 1WS

#69 maxamillian31

maxamillian31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 411246
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:21 AM

Almost better not to win everything at 10 (or younger) as it really is not always indicative of future success, at 14, 18 or beyond. Sure, some of the top juniors will continue to play well and improve but just as many will stop playing or become very disillusioned when they are suddenly not placing and being beaten by kids who are natural athletes and coming from other sports - and this happens A LOT in the teens. Puberty and growth spurs also play havoc with a junior's swing. We know first hand how hard it can be, on both juniors and parents, when a big growth spurt comes along, going from regular first place, regularly carding below par at 12 years old (forget about the 10 year old courses that are almost impossible to miss a fairway and below par is relatively easy if you can chip and putt) to 14 years old, missing cuts, a few rounds in the 80's etc.. Our younger junior who played other sports and took up golf later, is now more excited about golf and about starting to get scores down into the 70's, so will also work harder at it. Winning tournaments at 10 really does not matter to long term success..

Edited by maxamillian31, Yesterday, 04:33 PM.

#70 nitaizipp15

nitaizipp15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 488052
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 June 2018 - 10:10 PM

I'm 15 and shooting in the mid 70s. Do I still have a shot at college golf?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:23 AM

View Postnitaizipp15, on 16 June 2018 - 10:10 PM, said:

Yes, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  Just make sure you are looking at the right school for your academic needs and level of golf.

#72 CTgolf

CTgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 132

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:25 AM

In order to play in college you need to perform well in tournaments

You say you are shooting mid 70s, so you are close to meeting the requirement of “shooting lower than 75 consistently” in order to consider playing in tournaments

Also, since you are 15yo it is safe for you to win said tournaments without damaging your long term development, since winning at an early age would be detrimental as mentioned above

#73 propredicr

propredicr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15190
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 17 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

Adding my two cents, here.   While I agree, current success cannot always accurately predict the future,  winning is a great confidence builder.

I’ve seen my kid gain, that little edge.  He played in a recent National qualifier.  They had lists of all past winners from the last decade and a half.   Almost 100% of the kids who won when they were 10-12 yo, went on to D1 scholarships.   Some are on the mini-tours, now, and trying to get to the bigs.   Around 100 data points (4 girls/boys age divisions) over ~15 years with almost 100% accuracy of winning young and going on to D1 golf.  Getting to the bigs is a pipedream for the majority, so, I define their success by getting that college degree,   Even though, we all know the money we all spend to support our kids, would very likely fund their four years!😝

View PostCTgolf, on 17 June 2018 - 07:25 AM, said:

In order to play in college you need to perform well in tournaments

You say you are shooting mid 70s, so you are close to meeting the requirement of “shooting lower than 75 consistently” in order to consider playing in tournaments

Also, since you are 15yo it is safe for you to win said tournaments without damaging your long term development, since winning at an early age would be detrimental as mentioned above

#74 nsxguy

nsxguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 1229

Posted 17 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

View PostCTgolf, on 25 May 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

There have been other threads that mentioned that tournaments don't matter too much until juniors are playing multi-day events for Junior Golf Scoreboard ranking or AJGA stars.  I am not debating this.

But for considerations *beyond* rankings or tournament eligibility, how important is winning (or being very competitive) at an early age?  At what age does it become important?

I am thinking more along the lines of developing a winning mindset, dominant mentality, confidence, etc.

The mental side of the game seems underappreciated and there isn't much literature about how to maximize it, much less how important it is in the overall development of a junior golfer.

Thoughts?

As soon as a child realizes he/she is IN a competition.

*beyond* rankings or tournament eligibility,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, LIFE is a competition.

The earlier they learn that (a winning mindset) the better off they will be,,,,,,,,,,,, forget about golf,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, for the rest of their lives.

Note that being competitive asap should be developed right along with life skills as well vis-a-vis social skills, being fair and honest, etc. The sooner a child is imprinted with these important life skills the better.

Edited by nsxguy, 17 June 2018 - 12:13 PM.

Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Ping G20 5-U, DG S300
Cleveland RTX-3 56* SW & 64* LW
TaylorMade Tour Spider Black

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

#75 Maton12

Maton12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439096
  • Handicap:28
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 17 June 2018 - 04:16 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 12 June 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

View PostCTgolf, on 12 June 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

I guess in my original post I was assuming that a junior golfer had been participating in competitions along the way, and not getting a late start.

But even among those who don't start competing until later, it seems like there is an age at which, if they haven't demonstrated the ability to compete at a high level, that it probably won't ever happen?

It sounds like that age is probably post-puberty.

Probably true that in 99.9999% of the cases that if they haven't demonstrated that ability that it won't happen. There are exceptions. Another is Greg Norman who started golf at age 15 (was taught by his mom who was a single digit handicap). Norman played rugby, cricket and aspired to be a pro surfer prior to golf. In other words, he was very athletic.

Greg Norman also had plenty of missed opportunities in Majors - could the  lack of early competitive golf been a contributing factor?

#76 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2018 - 06:11 PM

View PostMaton12, on 17 June 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

Greg Norman also had plenty of missed opportunities in Majors - could the  lack of early competitive golf been a contributing factor?

331 weeks at number one... come on mate.

#77 CTgolf

CTgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 04:18 PM

I am sure Koepka’s win yesterday will only reinforce the now-popular belief that winning or even playing at a young age doesn’t matter

#78 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 04:25 PM

View PostCTgolf, on 18 June 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

I am sure Koepka’s win yesterday will only reinforce the now-popular belief that winning or even playing at a young age doesn’t matter

GW: You started playing golf when you were about 4 years old, but baseball was your biggest passion. It wasn’t until later when you started getting more serious about golf. Talk about your junior-golf journey.

BK: “Before it was just going out with my brother and my parents, just hitting balls, kind of like a weekend fun thing, maybe go out a couple times during the week. But didn’t really get serious until I was like 15, when I realized I was pretty decent. I was actually telling some of the kids, I was like, man, I wasn’t that good. I had a lot of talent, I just couldn’t figure out how to get the ball in the hole and couldn’t figure out the right way to do it. I was kind of a late bloomer, I guess. Two kids were laughing at me; I was recruited by three schools. They were like, what? I was like, no really, I was recruited by three and that was it. A couple of places I really wanted to go to and they were like, no. So it’s funny looking back at it. I was explaining to the kids, like it doesn’t really matter. It feels like a big deal at the time, when you’re getting recruited by colleges, but as long as you keep getting better and better, that’s what I kept telling them. Man, every day get better and that’s it.”

#79 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 373

Posted Yesterday, 04:30 PM

View Postleezer99, on 18 June 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

GW: You started playing golf when you were about 4 years old, but baseball was your biggest passion. It wasn’t until later when you started getting more serious about golf. Talk about your junior-golf journey.

BK: “Before it was just going out with my brother and my parents, just hitting balls, kind of like a weekend fun thing, maybe go out a couple times during the week. But didn’t really get serious until I was like 15, when I realized I was pretty decent. I was actually telling some of the kids, I was like, man, I wasn’t that good. I had a lot of talent, I just couldn’t figure out how to get the ball in the hole and couldn’t figure out the right way to do it. I was kind of a late bloomer, I guess. Two kids were laughing at me; I was recruited by three schools. They were like, what? I was like, no really, I was recruited by three and that was it. A couple of places I really wanted to go to and they were like, no. So it’s funny looking back at it. I was explaining to the kids, like it doesn’t really matter. It feels like a big deal at the time, when you’re getting recruited by colleges, but as long as you keep getting better and better, that’s what I kept telling them. Man, every day get better and that’s it.”

https://www.golfdige...n-brooks-koepka

Golf Digest has a different story....LOL

"In the most anti-self-promotional way imaginable, Koepka became a golfer because of his face. At 10, he was in the front seat when a car driven by a babysitter was hit at an intersection. Brooks’ nose and sinus cavity were fractured on the dashboard, and for the entire summer he couldn’t play any contact sports. As an alternative, he began spending his days at West Palm Beach’s public Okeeheelee Golf Course, where he played in a junior program, dominated early, and never looked back."

Edited by wildcatden, Yesterday, 04:30 PM.

#80 CTgolf

CTgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 04:31 PM

You can’t prove a counter factual, but IMHO I think playing more would have only helped; he just has amazing, God-given talent that is rare - doesn’t translate to kids who don’t have the natural raw ability

Imagine how much better he could be now if he had played more earlier

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 04:32 PM

Nice.

Brooks went to school and the only thing FSU paid for was books.  My daughter attended a recruiting seminar where his mother was a speaker and told this story.

#82 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,690 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 04:32 PM

C'mon. Isn't he more of an anomaly?  I'm sure HH will prove me wrong......
Taylormade M3 GD DI
Taylormade UDI 1,2 & 3
Miura CB-57 BB (5-PW)
Scratch TD DW 53*, 58*
Taylormade Hi Toe 60*
Odyssey 1WS

#83 maxamillian31

maxamillian31

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 411246
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted Yesterday, 04:46 PM

I don't think anyone is saying that playing and winning at a young age doesn't matter - just keep it in perspective for what it is and let kids do other things also.. Juniors shouldn't specialize in any single sport too early - while it may work for a few, most end up with burn out or injuries directly related to single sport specialization. Golf Week has a nice article with various viewpoints:
https://golfweek.com...ecialize-early/

#84 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 05:13 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 18 June 2018 - 04:30 PM, said:

https://www.golfdige...n-brooks-koepka

Golf Digest has a different story....LOL

"In the most anti-self-promotional way imaginable, Koepka became a golfer because of his face. At 10, he was in the front seat when a car driven by a babysitter was hit at an intersection. Brooks’ nose and sinus cavity were fractured on the dashboard, and for the entire summer he couldn’t play any contact sports. As an alternative, he began spending his days at West Palm Beach’s public Okeeheelee Golf Course, where he played in a junior program, dominated early, and never looked back."

Fake news.  :swoon:

Just kidding, I have no idea what's real anymore.

#85 CTgolf

CTgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 05:17 PM

View Postmaxamillian31, on 18 June 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

I don't think anyone is saying that playing and winning at a young age doesn't matter - just keep it in perspective for what it is and let kids do other things also.. Juniors shouldn't specialize in any single sport too early - while it may work for a few, most end up with burn out or injuries directly related to single sport specialization. Golf Week has a nice article with various viewpoints:
https://golfweek.com...ecialize-early/

Really good article - thx for posting

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

nitaizipp15

GolfWRX Sponsors