Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Walked off the first hole in shame today.

65 replies to this topic

#1 vance astro

vance astro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 380038
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

I've been out of the country and busy with graduation stuff for the last 3 weeks, so it's been almost a month since I've gotten to hit, but I decided to go out and play today - or try to. It was a bit of a last minute decision, and I didn't have time to warm up at all. Oops.

I walked up to the first tee expecting to be alone, but ended up being paired with a threesome, which I normally don't mind. I walk up with my 3 wood, take a few practice swings, step up to the ball confidently... And totally miss. Didn't even move. Step back, take another swing, try again... Miss again. Finally on the third try, I hit it. Topped it so hard the ball made a divot and went about 15 yards.

I Made a joke, drove up to it, grabbed my iron... And missed again. Then topped it about 20 more yards. By now I'm flustered as all hell and no one else has driven to their second shot yet.

It takes me four more topped and thin shots to get to where the other guys hit their drives to.

I finally get up there with my hybrid, take another swing... And top it another 10 yards. I picked my ball up and drove back to the clubhouse without a word.

I was going to hit a bucket and go back out if they let me, but they had league play starting so I decided to just hit the bucket. I had to go down to taking half swings with my pitching wedge just to f****** make contact with the ball, and even when I worked badk up to my woods I was thinning or straight topping about 60% of my shots. Eventually I just drove off in a s*** mood.

I have no idea what to do now. I guess I just need to go to the range for a day and figure out where my swing went, but I feel like the memory of that single hole is going to haunt me for the entire summer. How the hell do I get this out of my head?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 ChristopherMcDonald

ChristopherMcDonald

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314501
  • Ebay ID:mcbainer019
GolfWRX Likes : 862

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:18 PM

You should have finished your round. Plenty of opportunity to replace that negative memory with a good one.
Posted Image Speedline Super S Posted Image Kuro Kage Black 70
Posted ImageRBZ 3 Wood Posted ImageVS Proto by You 85
Posted Image2007 Burner 5 Wood Posted ImageSerrano 75
Posted Image Pro A12 3 Hybrid Posted ImageRip'd VS Proto 80
Posted Image XTD Tour 5-GW Posted Image Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
Posted Image Tour Issue 1018 56* Posted Image Dynamic Gold S300
Posted Image Tour Issue 1018 60* Posted Image Dynamic Gold S300
Posted Image Cameron & Crown 5MB
Posted Image Duo

#3 bigchucksr

bigchucksr

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 453192
  • Handicap:16
  • Ebay ID:bigchucksr2
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:42 PM

Many of us have similar experiences--lack of consistency, topping, chopping, wiffing the ball.  If we didn't we'd all be professionals or single handicappers.  After fifty three years of playing this game I still have to remind myself that I'm not a good golfer, never was, and certainly, at this age, will never be good at the sport that I continue to enjoy even played badly.
I understand the need to sometimes simply walk off--I've done it but always have come back.  Guys like us play for the occasional good hole, good shot, decent round, the "why can't I do this every time?" moments.
I say hang in there, enjoy the game, enjoy the environment, enjoy the constant challenge--that's what we can do on the course--every time.

#4 para38s

para38s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 502036
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:46 PM

How long have you been playing golf for?

I recently started playing so that is normal for me, unfortunately. Anyways, I am sure you will get it back and start playing well. Good luck!

#5 Fade

Fade

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212785
GolfWRX Likes : 443

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:37 PM

9 years ago I stumbled into a spell of absolutely horrible golf that lasted for years, but I never walked off and learned to deal with my embarrassment. It has served me well since: I am playing well enough now to have fun on the course again, and it was a valuable life-lesson as well, because before golf I was used to being good at what I set my mind to.

Keep at it.

#6 rwc356

rwc356

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29907
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:21 PM

As several other's have said, most of us have had a bad round (or 2 or 3 or more) like that. If golf wasn't so damn frustrating it wouldn't be so much fun and rewarding when you hit that great shot. I have started this season off in a terrible fashion. I finished last season playing much stronger than my 14 index and was very excited to start this season with the goal of getting back down to a 9 or 10 this summer. Well my first 3 rounds (including a disaster today) have been 98, 93 and 94. Ugh!!! I am so frustrated and trying to see how I lost so much golfing ability over the winter. Granted the winter in Chicago can be really crappy, but not that bad.

Thanks for letting me vent in talking about your round. My game will come back around and your's will too. Have faith, a few beers and couple of range sessions. Sounds like a good prescription for both our games. :golfer:
Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

#7 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 49286

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:40 PM

When something like this happens it's because really good things are gonna happen soon...but you have to be
humbled first....so when the good things start to happen you won't get cocky.

#8 NEhomer

NEhomer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497926
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:47 PM

OP took 8 strokes to get to his fellow player's balls. Let that sink in.

....last week, I used my rangefinder for my third shot into a 150yd par 3. Let that sink in!

Lol Friggin' golf :angry22:

#9 golfgirlrobin

golfgirlrobin

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 247221
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4539

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:46 PM

NEhomer, on 24 May 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

....last week, I used my rangefinder for my third shot into a 150yd par 3. Let that sink in!

I got a case of the yips so badly that I switched to putting lefty just to be able to pull the club back.  Let that sink in!

This stuff happens.  Being humbled occasionally isn’t really a bad thing.
Driver:     Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Fairway:  Callaway Rogue 15*, 20* & 24*
Irons:       TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
Wedges:  Callaway PM Grind 59* & 64*
Putter:      Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

#10 BrianMcG

BrianMcG

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71565
GolfWRX Likes : 2046

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

Well, you got a good story out of it.  So did those three other guys.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 zripp3

zripp3

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67733
  • Ebay ID:zripp
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:51 PM

I feel for you, OP.  3-4 weeks ago, I headed back to the car after #10.  Was simply too frustrated after not having hit a single iron shot off the ground from #1-#10.  I'm not spending time away from family to play a game and let it get to me.  Walk away and try again later.

#12 getitdaily

getitdaily

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479556
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 533

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

golfgirlrobin, on 24 May 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

NEhomer, on 24 May 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

I got a case of the yips so badly that I switched to putting lefty just to be able to pull the club back.  Let that sink in!

This stuff happens.  Being humbled occasionally isnít really a bad thing.

3 weeks ago I shot 70 in a tournament. I was -4 thru 13.

Last weekend I shot 85 in a tournament.

Let that sink in.

Sometimes this game just hops up and laughs at you.

#13 Zip-in-Z

Zip-in-Z

Z-Z's First Love - 1970

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76645
  • Handicap:11
  • Ebay ID:n/a
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:20 PM

I once playing with a guy at men's night who lost 4 balls on the first hole, bush. water, water, over green into bush. I believe he lost over 4 sleeves during the round, he stayed for burgers/beer and said his round went better than last week.

As the saying goes .... It could of been worst if ....... " Fill in Blank " !

D.
Ping G400 Driver - Tour Ad Di6 or BB7 Stiff
Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
Titleist SM5 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart

#14 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4974

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:57 PM

May be a good time to get a lesson or two? When I came back to the game after several years away, I thought I could pick up where I left off. I was wrong. Getting some lessons helped make golf fun again for me. I still go to the Pro when I can, and he works wonders for me. My swing likes to wander off down new and untrodden paths, but he always puts it back on the right track.
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Tourstage Airmuscle with DGS200 (for occasional use only)
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 50* S and 54* S-grind
              Titlesit Vokey 260 60*                  
Putter: Macgregor Muirfield or Wilson TPA XVIII

#15 @_the_crook

@_the_crook

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118828
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:04 PM

vance astro,

we feel your pain, and hope you soon return.

rest a bit now and when you're ready, be loose, hit a few from the bucket, get your turf legs back back and go tear the place up.

make it feel good again.

all the best.

#16 andrue

andrue

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Handicap:21
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:42 AM

Stuff happens in golf. I've had a poor twelve months and it's only just (hopefully) started to come good again. As others have posted - I'd have carried on. Everyone's been there. Little that happens on the first hole ever bothers me because I'm an amateur, a high handicapper and I never go on the range before a round. But best of all, you have 17 more opportunities to fix your score card. If that doesn't seem likely then just stop scoring and use the round for practice. Or enjoy the scenery.
Callaway Rogue Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

#17 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
GolfWRX Likes : 4404

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:20 AM

Remember ďitís a game,Ē and why we humans ďplayĒ games.  Fun and relaxation.
Itís the exception rather than the rule for anyone who has not been in your shoes before OP.
Let the negativity of the experience go, and focus on the joy you have in the game.

#18 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
GolfWRX Likes : 706

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:34 AM

I'm guessing you're not a "seasoned" golfer ?  Am I correct ?  
Besides, traveling will put a big toll on your physical and mental stability.  Especially traveling to and from overseas.  The change of time zone alone will throw off your tempo and timing.
Your body and your mind were not "sync" like you believed.  Trying hard from memory is never the good idea when starting cold without loosen up before teeing off.
What did the 3-some do when you were struggling ?   Anyone tried to joke about it and make you feel at ease to settle back down from the anxiety  ?   It's all about tempo when you're out of sync.  
Try to loosen up before you step up to the tee shot and not attempting to hit your longest drive until you figured out your tempo for the day.

Many of the golfers will figure out their tempo for the day before their tee time.  They do that on the driving range and the practice putting green.  Quick tempo or slower that day, as long as they work together.  Curtis Strange stated in one of his video, they ( the pro) go to the driving range to find their preferred golf swing for the day.  Meaning, they could work the golf ball either way but fro certain day, they might favor a fade instead of a draw. and that will be the go to shot of the day if they need to depend on it.

Keep hydrated is so important, because if you "dried up" from traveling or over consuming alcoholic beverage the night before, your tempo and timing would be way off from the dehydration.

Edited by wkuo3, 25 May 2018 - 07:36 AM.

#19 MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450210
GolfWRX Likes : 1116

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:58 AM

I've done this.  I usually just call it a day after 9 if things are going off the rails, but one day I walked off in the middle of the 2nd hole.  I was hitting the ball horribly and could feel myself sinking into depression.  It wasn't one of those things you can just talk yourself out of.  I didn't want to become completely unglued and ruin everyone else's day, so I apologized to my partners and trudged back to the clubhouse.  I've never played that particular course since.  I hate that golf does this to me.  After a while, it's just abusive.

#20 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
GolfWRX Likes : 1020

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:01 AM

Said just about everyone whoís ever played this game.

Look, you didnít play for a month, didnít hit balls, got paired w a bunch of people you just met and so what were your expectations? Of course you hit the ball like crap...all your answers were in your post.

Iím guessing if you would have stuck it out another hole or two you would have been fine.

Edited by Swisstrader98, 25 May 2018 - 10:01 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 DON SVO

DON SVO

Hacker in progress...

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99396
GolfWRX Likes : 695

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

I had a 6 week spell a few years back where I was hitting the best drives, 3 woods, long irons, and putts of my golfing life.

I was also guaranteed a roughly 25% chance (I kept track over 3 rounds after I noticed the trend) of shanking my mid irons down to my wedges. Literally. Like 6 or 7 a round, sometimes more. I told a couple friends after about the 10th round of this crap that if I couldn't figure out what the hell was happening, I was selling my clubs. I went to the range after that round with only my 9 iron & alignment rod and hit a bucket, it was a mixed bag of shanks and startlingly crisp, clean contact/divot. no rhyme or reason, it was like pulling the arm on a slot machine: same damn club, same alignment, same ball position, same "check myself halfway back" drill... and nice clean hits with a random lateral 100% off the hosel. I decided to throw the clubs in the closet for a few months and take a break.

I begrudgingly got talked into playing another round a couple weeks afterwards, and proceeded to shoot an 81 (I was around an 11-12 cap) with 3 bad tee shots (driver went away again, imagine that!) forcing punch outs. Absolutely nailed every short iron and wedge I hit, and I haven't hit a full-fledged shank on the course since. I cannot explain why golf does this to us, all I know is that I'm not on TV in the final pairing but I still find this game absolutely intoxicating. Good luck and don't give up!

Edited by DON SVO, 25 May 2018 - 10:18 AM.

A bag of left-handed junk.

Driver: 2016 Taylormade M2, Kai'li 70x
3W: Callaway 3deep, PX blue 6.5
3H: Adams Super XTD, Aldila Proto 95x
4-PW: Mizuno MP-32, satin PX 6.5
59, 56, 53: Callaway Mack Daddy, PX 6.0

#22 bandrz

bandrz

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167841
GolfWRX Likes : 696

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:35 AM

I'm a 2  HC and i went over 2 years not being able to get a fairway wood airborne.  now it is one of my favorite clubs in my bag.  I'm currently going through something similar with sand play, and i know i'll get past it.  Golf is so freaking hard.  The difference between topping it, shanking it, missing the grooves on the toe, chunking it, and dead flushing it is mere millimeters.  Once i realized that even though some of those misses visually look horrible, i'm never that far off from hitting it great.  it still happens sometimes, and i just laugh it off and move on.

I would have picked up on number one and tried again on number two.  you don't need a scorecard to have a good time.  

You can find it.  once you find something that works, get lost in the process and just trust it.  It's in there. you just have to find it

#23 disco111

disco111

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 386826
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:N/A
GolfWRX Likes : 686

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:41 AM

I haven't hit a full-fledged shank on the course since..................

Oh crap!, now you've gone and done it big time...........You've actually said the "s" word out loud and now all who read it will do it and it will be all your fault....... :WTF: :scare2:

#24 Ferguson

Ferguson

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Handicap:7.5
GolfWRX Likes : 5199

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

"Life is a one way street and we are not coming back."

- anonymous

#25 DON SVO

DON SVO

Hacker in progress...

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99396
GolfWRX Likes : 695

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

disco111, on 25 May 2018 - 10:41 AM, said:

I haven't hit a full-fledged shank on the course since..................

Oh crap!, now you've gone and done it big time...........You've actually said the "s" word out loud and now all who read it will do it and it will be all your fault....... :WTF: :scare2:

I've said that word a million times and it hasn't affected me, LOL.

I have much bigger golf issues now than that shanktastic period a while ago. namely, having a 17 month old daughter and a wife who works Saturdays and designated Sunday as family day. I haven't swung a club in over 3 months.

A bag of left-handed junk.

Driver: 2016 Taylormade M2, Kai'li 70x
3W: Callaway 3deep, PX blue 6.5
3H: Adams Super XTD, Aldila Proto 95x
4-PW: Mizuno MP-32, satin PX 6.5
59, 56, 53: Callaway Mack Daddy, PX 6.0

#26 eboettne

eboettne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176402
  • Handicap:+0.1
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:09 AM

When I'm getting really negative with my swing thoughts or about my game in general I read 'Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect' by Bob Rotella. It seems to help re-adjust my mental state, so could be worth a try before going back out and playing again.

#27 JohnnyCashForever

JohnnyCashForever

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 332807
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:16 AM

vance astro, on 24 May 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

How the hell do I get this out of my head?

You don't.  Embarrassing failures are rarely permanently forgotten.  No matter how hard you try, even years later, something small will trigger the memory of that day.

What do you do?  You acknowledge the event, resolve to get better, and keep on keepin' on.

#28 cmb71

cmb71

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28443
GolfWRX Likes : 406

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:28 AM

ACCEPT IT... and move on... just keep your chin up,.. yeah, it sucks to suck, but...

My second competitive 9-hole tournament, as a high school freshman at 13 YO,.. #1 hole is a 530 Par 5... with a small pond in front of the tee box, that is shared with #7 tee... why, I have no idea... except...

Yeah, the freshman (ME) hit not one, but two... into that pond that serves no "golf" purpose.  Totally topped both drives...

Finished with a smooth 49 on the front 9. I beat half of the Frosh/Soph team that day...

Bottom line, commit and overcome... or don't play... I don't care either way.
TaylorMade 9.5* M3 460 - Tensei Pro Orange V2 60TX
TaylorMade M4 Tour 15* - Aldila Copperhead 70X
TaylorMade UDI 790 2 Iron - Tour AD 95X
TaylorMade 790 3-PW - Nippon Modus 130 S
Titleist Vokey WW SM7 Raw 51* & 56* - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #3

#29 andrue

andrue

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Handicap:21
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:59 AM

JohnnyCashForever, on 25 May 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

vance astro, on 24 May 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

How the hell do I get this out of my head?

You don't.  Embarrassing failures are rarely permanently forgotten.  No matter how hard you try, even years later, something small will trigger the memory of that day.
You know that puts me in mind of the time I struck the ball perfectly with a sand wedge. Only snag was that I was in a bunker at the time and the ball was never found ever again :)

Edited by andrue, 25 May 2018 - 12:00 PM.

Callaway Rogue Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

#30 Guia

Guia

Ancient Dude

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 2211

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:28 PM

Just nerves vs expectations.  Probably just raising up during swing, next time relax, just concentrate on being smooth and making contact.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors