Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

A Course Called Scotland


34 replies to this topic

#1 Bobschro

Bobschro

    Newbie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497782
  • Joined: 04/02/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:30 AM

Congratulations to my brother-in-law Tom Coyne, writer of A Gentleman’s Game, Paper Tiger, and A Course Called Ireland.

His new book, A Course Called Scotland, hits shelves on July 3rd. The book was reviewed in today’s Wall Street Journal. Go check it out!

I had the honor of photographing and designing the book cover. He made a great model :-)

IMG_1527161400.276690.jpg

Edited by Bobschro, 24 May 2018 - 08:33 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,725 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 6874

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:11 AM

I've read the first one several times. I'll be looking for this one right away too.

I'll never get to Ireland or Scotland, so I hope this book is similar to the first one, you feel like you're along with him on the journey.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

2

#3 TerpFangolfer

TerpFangolfer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292881
  • Joined: 01/22/2014
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:6.2
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:22 AM

Agree...I read ACCI before my Ireland trip in 2014 - was interesting and helpful

Too bad ACCS comes out 2 weeks too late for me! I leave for Scotland on June 20 - all my golf finished by the 29th...but I still plan to read the book - because, of course, I will be going back again!
TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4  54-8  & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

3

#4 Bobschro

Bobschro

    Newbie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497782
  • Joined: 04/02/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:30 AM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 24 May 2018 - 08:11 AM, said:

I've read the first one several times. I'll be looking for this one right away too.

I'll never get to Ireland or Scotland, so I hope this book is similar to the first one, you feel like you're along with him on the journey.

I had the honor and pleasure of designing the cover for A Course Called Ireland too. I drank the beer in the glass we photographed to make sure it had the appropriate "Irish lace."

Golf in Ireland and Scotland is amazing. I encourage anyone that golfs to try and make it over there...

4

#5 Bobschro

Bobschro

    Newbie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497782
  • Joined: 04/02/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:36 AM

View PostTerpFangolfer, on 24 May 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

Agree...I read ACCI before my Ireland trip in 2014 - was interesting and helpful

Too bad ACCS comes out 2 weeks too late for me! I leave for Scotland on June 20 - all my golf finished by the 29th...but I still plan to read the book - because, of course, I will be going back again!

I was in Scotland last August with Tom -- and plenty of company -- for his annual "Coyne Cup" tournament. We played some of the courses he visited when writing ACCS:

Machrihanish
Machrihanish Dunes
Dunaverty
The Glenn Club
North Berwick

Amazing! I played the best golf of my life and shot my best score ever at North Berwick.

Edited by Bobschro, 24 May 2018 - 08:38 AM.


5

#6 mikedejong

mikedejong

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90109
  • Joined: 07/29/2009
  • Location:Edmonton, Canada
  • Handicap:1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 287

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:41 AM

I have also read all the Coyne golf books I can find, really enjoy them. I will be looking for this one as well. Thanks! I was in Scotland for my 40th Birthday a couple of years ago. Trip of a life time and I hope to go back someday.
Lefty TM R9 Supertri TP
                Lefty TM R9 3 Wood TP
                Lefty Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
                Lefty 4-PW Wilson Staff FG62
                Lefty 52-56-60 Wilson Staff FG Tour
                Lefty Scotty Cameron GOLO

6

#7 eagle1997

eagle1997

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121529
  • Joined: 02/01/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 20416

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

#scotland2021.  earliest i can pull it off.  this will be my guidebook, thanks for posting.
Cobra F8+ 9.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cally Steelhead XR 17°
Cobra BioCell 22°
Cobra One Length 5-PW
Bstone J15 50°
Bstone J15 52°
Odyssey Black Milled #1

7

#8 imakaveli

imakaveli

    Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Joined: 06/22/2011
  • Location:Milano, Italy
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 4686

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

Read the Ireland book, congrats to your brother in law!

8

#9 phillyspecial

phillyspecial

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68328
  • Joined: 10/28/2008
  • Location:MN
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:05 PM

Why did he quit drinking? Sober trip through Scotland seems like missing out on a big piece of the golf culture.

9

#10 jimwgt26

jimwgt26

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139787
  • Joined: 09/23/2011
  • Location:Chicago
GolfWRX Likes : 623

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:51 AM

Coyne’s a great writer. I really enjoyed Paper Tiger and A Course Called Ireland. Looking forward to this.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 CheckJV

CheckJV

    Male Model

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93640
  • Joined: 09/03/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 717

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

I’ve read them all and will add this one to my library.

11

#12 TerpFangolfer

TerpFangolfer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292881
  • Joined: 01/22/2014
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:6.2
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:23 AM

View PostBobschro, on 24 May 2018 - 08:36 AM, said:

View PostTerpFangolfer, on 24 May 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

Agree...I read ACCI before my Ireland trip in 2014 - was interesting and helpful

Too bad ACCS comes out 2 weeks too late for me! I leave for Scotland on June 20 - all my golf finished by the 29th...but I still plan to read the book - because, of course, I will be going back again!

I was in Scotland last August with Tom -- and plenty of company -- for his annual "Coyne Cup" tournament. We played some of the courses he visited when writing ACCS:

Machrihanish
Machrihanish Dunes
Dunaverty
The Glenn Club
North Berwick

Amazing! I played the best golf of my life and shot my best score ever at North Berwick.

really cool! NB is the 1st course we are playing on this trip - June 22. Can't wait!
TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4  54-8  & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

12

#13 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 10398

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:14 AM

Just returned a week ago from our trip to Scotland, would have loved the book to be available to read on the plane.  Probably going to get it ordered now, just to compare notes, lol.

One question, the review of the book up on this site repeatedly refers to the book as a "novel" - my understanding is it is more of a memoir/account of his explorations, am I correct?

Maybe a minor point, well, not minor if it really isn't a work of fiction.  Just a reading preference thing for me.  Loved Paper Tiger, was never headed to Ireland so didn't buy that one, and would love to read a first person account of his travels in Scotland, just not as excited if that is in the form of some journey with mystical, fictional characters - again, didn't think that was the case but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

13

#14 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,725 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 6874

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:30 AM

View PostHawkeye77, on 05 July 2018 - 07:14 AM, said:

Just returned a week ago from our trip to Scotland, would have loved the book to be available to read on the plane.  Probably going to get it ordered now, just to compare notes, lol.

One question, the review of the book up on this site repeatedly refers to the book as a "novel" - my understanding is it is more of a memoir/account of his explorations, am I correct?

Maybe a minor point, well, not minor if it really isn't a work of fiction.  Just a reading preference thing for me.  Loved Paper Tiger, was never headed to Ireland so didn't buy that one, and would love to read a first person account of his travels in Scotland, just not as excited if that is in the form of some journey with mystical, fictional characters - again, didn't think that was the case but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Hawkeye, the first one (Ireland) was more of a memoir. Recounting the journey. But it’s not just boring journal type entries. It’s well written and a good read.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

14

#15 az2au

az2au

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Joined: 06/10/2012
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ/New York, NY
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 639

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:12 AM

Even if you never plan to go to Ireland, A Course Called Ireland is still wonderful. Definitely worth the read. Iíve been to both many times and strongly prefer Ireland but this year Iím heading to Scotland because it works better. Just ordered the book and will likely read it today.


15

#16 Chanceman

Chanceman

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 403162
  • Joined: 11/17/2015
  • Location:Australia
  • Handicap:19
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:25 AM

I like the story of the dog in Chapter 1 of A Course Called Ireland.

16

#17 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 10398

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:39 AM

Didn't get an answer from whomever wrote the wrx article, but guessing the repeated "novel" reference was just a mistake all the way around and went ahead and ordered and will start reading today! Skimmed it and pretty clear it's his first person account of his trip/journey which is what I was hoping for - anxious to get into it.

17

#18 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 10398

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:33 PM

So far - awesome!

18

#19 The Pearl

The Pearl

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191768
  • Joined: 07/12/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 1327

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:55 PM

Tom is the best golf writer today, no question about it.  His books are a joy.


To the OP, I would really like to see a photo journal of his trips.  He has a few pictures on his blog/instagram but would love to see a full scale collection.

Edited by The Pearl, 07 July 2018 - 12:57 PM.


19

#20 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,652 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
  • Joined: 07/07/2007
  • Location:Los Angeles
GolfWRX Likes : 2724

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 05 July 2018 - 07:14 AM, said:

Just returned a week ago from our trip to Scotland, would have loved the book to be available to read on the plane.  Probably going to get it ordered now, just to compare notes, lol.

One question, the review of the book up on this site repeatedly refers to the book as a "novel" - my understanding is it is more of a memoir/account of his explorations, am I correct?

Maybe a minor point, well, not minor if it really isn't a work of fiction.  Just a reading preference thing for me.  Loved Paper Tiger, was never headed to Ireland so didn't buy that one, and would love to read a first person account of his travels in Scotland, just not as excited if that is in the form of some journey with mystical, fictional characters - again, didn't think that was the case but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Did you take you Nat'l Customs? Seems like they'd be right in sync with the golf there...

Callaway Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Callway xhot 3 h
Titleist T-MB 4-W Modus 105 R
RomaRo Pro 3-W KBS Tour V 110 S
MacGregor 1025M Vfoil 4-W
Fourteen mt28v3 50, 52, 54,58
Cameron Futura 5W

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 babyfade

babyfade

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 323547
  • Joined: 06/27/2014
  • Location:Basel, Switzerland
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:26 PM

My favorite golf books about Scotland are 'To the linksland' and 'A season in Dornoch'... do you think I will like 'a course called scotland'?

21

#22 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 10398

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:24 PM

View Postbabyfade, on 07 July 2018 - 05:26 PM, said:

My favorite golf books about Scotland are 'To the linksland' and 'A season in Dornoch'... do you think I will like 'a course called scotland'?

So far I like it more than "To The Linksland" but both are great. The Dornoch book is great, this is that on steroids.

22

#23 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 10398

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:28 PM

View Postwmblake2000, on 07 July 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 05 July 2018 - 07:14 AM, said:

Just returned a week ago from our trip to Scotland, would have loved the book to be available to read on the plane.  Probably going to get it ordered now, just to compare notes, lol.

One question, the review of the book up on this site repeatedly refers to the book as a "novel" - my understanding is it is more of a memoir/account of his explorations, am I correct?

Maybe a minor point, well, not minor if it really isn't a work of fiction.  Just a reading preference thing for me.  Loved Paper Tiger, was never headed to Ireland so didn't buy that one, and would love to read a first person account of his travels in Scotland, just not as excited if that is in the form of some journey with mystical, fictional characters - again, didn't think that was the case but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Did you take you Nat'l Customs? Seems like they'd be right in sync with the golf there...

Didn't have time before the trip to really give them a workout. BUT I threw the "Equalizer" in the bag just because. It got some attention from the caddies and it got used - love it, in fact we played Traigh as our first course the second evening there, short of the par 3 first, had a little running chip with the "E" and saved par! Here it is just before -

IMG_1527.jpeg

Edited by Hawkeye77, 07 July 2018 - 06:37 PM.


23

#24 Carl Spackler3

Carl Spackler3

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136528
  • Joined: 08/15/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 415

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:38 PM

FWIW I read A Course Callied Ireland, it was a great fun to read book
Titleist 915 D2
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping G25 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
Vokey 52-08 sm4
Vokey 56-14 sm6
Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

24

#25 ceejay81

ceejay81

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492284
  • Joined: 01/30/2018
  • Location:Washington, DC
GolfWRX Likes : 1161

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:09 PM

Just purchased tonight.  Can't wait to start reading it!


25

#26 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,018 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 577

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:21 PM

So cool.  I read the Ireland book and told many people about it.  I'll be sure and pick up this one.
PING G400 MAX 10.5 Fujikura Pro 2.0 65g R
Titleist F2 917 18* Diamana 60g S+
Titleist 816 H1 21* Diamana S+
PING G400 4-P Nippon Modus Tour 105 R
Titleist SM7 50.8, 54.8 and 58.12
Odyssey EXO #7 35"

26

#27 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,652 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
  • Joined: 07/07/2007
  • Location:Los Angeles
GolfWRX Likes : 2724

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:06 AM

View PostHawkeye77, on 07 July 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

View Postwmblake2000, on 07 July 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 05 July 2018 - 07:14 AM, said:

Just returned a week ago from our trip to Scotland, would have loved the book to be available to read on the plane.  Probably going to get it ordered now, just to compare notes, lol.

One question, the review of the book up on this site repeatedly refers to the book as a "novel" - my understanding is it is more of a memoir/account of his explorations, am I correct?

Maybe a minor point, well, not minor if it really isn't a work of fiction.  Just a reading preference thing for me.  Loved Paper Tiger, was never headed to Ireland so didn't buy that one, and would love to read a first person account of his travels in Scotland, just not as excited if that is in the form of some journey with mystical, fictional characters - again, didn't think that was the case but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Did you take you Nat'l Customs? Seems like they'd be right in sync with the golf there...

Didn't have time before the trip to really give them a workout. BUT I threw the "Equalizer" in the bag just because. It got some attention from the caddies and it got used - love it, in fact we played Traigh as our first course the second evening there, short of the par 3 first, had a little running chip with the "E" and saved par! Here it is just before -

IMG_1527.jpeg

That's an awesome shot.
Callaway Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Callway xhot 3 h
Titleist T-MB 4-W Modus 105 R
RomaRo Pro 3-W KBS Tour V 110 S
MacGregor 1025M Vfoil 4-W
Fourteen mt28v3 50, 52, 54,58
Cameron Futura 5W

27

#28 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 10398

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:20 AM

View Postwmblake2000, on 08 July 2018 - 01:06 AM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 07 July 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

View Postwmblake2000, on 07 July 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 05 July 2018 - 07:14 AM, said:

Just returned a week ago from our trip to Scotland, would have loved the book to be available to read on the plane.  Probably going to get it ordered now, just to compare notes, lol.

One question, the review of the book up on this site repeatedly refers to the book as a "novel" - my understanding is it is more of a memoir/account of his explorations, am I correct?

Maybe a minor point, well, not minor if it really isn't a work of fiction.  Just a reading preference thing for me.  Loved Paper Tiger, was never headed to Ireland so didn't buy that one, and would love to read a first person account of his travels in Scotland, just not as excited if that is in the form of some journey with mystical, fictional characters - again, didn't think that was the case but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Did you take you Nat'l Customs? Seems like they'd be right in sync with the golf there...

Didn't have time before the trip to really give them a workout. BUT I threw the "Equalizer" in the bag just because. It got some attention from the caddies and it got used - love it, in fact we played Traigh as our first course the second evening there, short of the par 3 first, had a little running chip with the "E" and saved par! Here it is just before -

IMG_1527.jpeg

That's an awesome shot.

Youngest daughter shared photographer duties!

28

#29 babyfade

babyfade

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 323547
  • Joined: 06/27/2014
  • Location:Basel, Switzerland
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:34 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 07 July 2018 - 06:24 PM, said:

View Postbabyfade, on 07 July 2018 - 05:26 PM, said:

My favorite golf books about Scotland are 'To the linksland' and 'A season in Dornoch'... do you think I will like 'a course called scotland'?

So far I like it more than "To The Linksland" but both are great. The Dornoch book is great, this is that on steroids.

So I should be looking forward to this!!

29

#30 gvogel

gvogel

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Joined: 08/19/2007
  • Location:Western NY
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 1848

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:48 AM

View PostBobschro, on 24 May 2018 - 06:30 AM, said:

Congratulations to my brother-in-law Tom Coyne, writer of A Gentleman’s Game, Paper Tiger, and A Course Called Ireland.

His new book, A Course Called Scotland, hits shelves on July 3rd. The book was reviewed in today’s Wall Street Journal. Go check it out!

I had the honor of photographing and designing the book cover. He made a great model :-)

Attachment IMG_1527161400.276690.jpg

Good work.  Love the hickory putter touch.  Who made it?

On Sundays, I used to play hickory

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


    maupincf

GolfWRX Sponsors