Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

NCAA Div 1 women's final is today


30 replies to this topic

#1 bogeypro

bogeypro

    The Original Bogeypro

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Joined: 07/29/2005
  • Location:AL
  • Handicap:+1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1437

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:05 AM

I didn't see golfwrx mention it, but the women have been playing all week.  Finals are today - Bama vs Arizona.  

Roll Tide!

full disclosure here - I am currently a student at Alabama finishing up my degree (better late than never, right?).

Titleist 917 D3 9.5*
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Titleist 818 H2 3 hybrid
Titleist 718 TMB 4-pw
Titleist Vokey 50f/56m/60m
putter: who knows... I 3 putt with all of them

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 4927

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:08 AM

I have been watching all week, have enjoyed it.  I was happy for Kupcho, was a brutal loss last year.

Bama is a machine, love watching Lauren Stephenson hit the ball, but I am all in for the underdog.  When Bianca dropped the eagle on the 72nd to get Zona in a playoff, was all in with them.  My Noles could not quit get in, had to pick one of the 8 to root for.

Hope to see a good finals match.

Congrats on finishing up the degree.

Edited by Warrick, 23 May 2018 - 10:11 AM.

GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60
Rogue SZ 3W - Tensei Pro Orange 70
Epic 3H - Tensei Pro White 90
MP18 Combo 4-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
O-Works Black 7s Tank
TM TP5X

2

#3 2putttom

2putttom

    # 1 Oregon Duck fan

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,922 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Joined: 04/24/2012
  • Location:N.California, LInks @ Bodega Bay
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 5077

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:09 AM

lol   I already have BAMA in the win bracket
Tour Exotics E 10 15*
Adams CMB 4-6  MB2's 7-9 1 more season
Mizuno Mp 4 52 MP T7 56 &60
Bobby Grace SNYPER II   46"
Oregon Ducks Bag

3

#4 FlyingLaw1

FlyingLaw1

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468870
  • Joined: 05/23/2017
  • Location:MO
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

Been watching as well. Some very talented players in college these days! Look forward to working with the final on in the back ground today.
GO DAWGS

4

#5 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 4927

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

View Post2putttom, on 23 May 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

lol   I already have BAMA in the win bracket

Good chance of that, but I bet a lot had UCLA, and or Stanford beating Zona also.  Gotta ride that mo.....

I like watching Haley Moore, streaky player, can get hot.  I am not sure of the lineup today but would love to see Bianca and Lauren battle it out in the final match for the win.

GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60
Rogue SZ 3W - Tensei Pro Orange 70
Epic 3H - Tensei Pro White 90
MP18 Combo 4-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
O-Works Black 7s Tank
TM TP5X

5

#6 cardoustie

cardoustie

    haha, we don't play for 5's

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Tasmania to Canada
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 6861

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

When I watch ladies golf I am always amazed at how poor their short games are compared to the guys

You think it would be the opposite but I've heard hand strength is a big factor

NB there are some long lady players putting up some solid ball speeds !!!

Also, not a fan of the poor attitude or the larger girl .. too much pouting

Edited by cardoustie, 23 May 2018 - 10:33 AM.

TMade M2 10.5* Fuji Motore Speeder VC 6.2x
Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Diamana BB 63x
Ping G25 7w 20* Aldila NVS Pink 85x
Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix Altus Red 92sx
Callaway Apex 5h 26* Matrix HQ3 Altus 92x
Ping i500 Nippon 1150x
Ping s55 7i - PW Nippon 1150x
Titleist Vokey SM2 50* DGS 400 TI Onyx  
Vokey SM2 TVD M54*&M60* DGS TI Onyx
Yes Donna

6

#7 2putttom

2putttom

    # 1 Oregon Duck fan

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,922 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Joined: 04/24/2012
  • Location:N.California, LInks @ Bodega Bay
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 5077

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:57 AM

View Postcardoustie, on 23 May 2018 - 10:32 AM, said:

When I watch ladies golf I am always amazed at how poor their short games are compared to the guys

You think it would be the opposite but I've heard hand strength is a big factor

NB there are some long lady players putting up some solid ball speeds !!!

Also, not a fan of the poor attitude or the larger girl .. too much pouting
so whats ur over all take of the tournament ?
Tour Exotics E 10 15*
Adams CMB 4-6  MB2's 7-9 1 more season
Mizuno Mp 4 52 MP T7 56 &60
Bobby Grace SNYPER II   46"
Oregon Ducks Bag

7

#8 Dustin_J

Dustin_J

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88969
  • Joined: 07/19/2009
  • Location:St. Louis, MO
  • Handicap:~11
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:17 PM

I've been watching this in the background over the last few days, and it's been a lot of fun.  It would be wonderful if more of these sorts of events would be televised - c'mon Golf Channel!

8

#9 NJpatbee

NJpatbee

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266092
  • Joined: 07/24/2013
  • Location:Sussex County, NJ
  • Handicap:16.5
GolfWRX Likes : 442

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

I did watch enough of the singles championship to watch the golfer from Wake Forest (Kupcho) win since my daughter and a lot of my money went there (as well as Arnie).

9

#10 daegyu

daegyu

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 462038
  • Joined: 04/04/2017
  • Location:los angeles
  • Handicap:4.1
  • Ebay ID:hermitjunction
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:08 PM

Really enjoy watching these events. The East Lake Cup last year was fun to watch. That Muni He is quite the looker

Callaway Epic 10.5 Oban Kiyoshi Gold 65s
Callaway Epic 15 Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
Callaway Epic 18 AD-DI 7s
Titleist 816 H2 21 AD-DI 85s
Taylormade P770 4-PW PX LZ 6.0 SS x1
Vokey SM6 52F / 58M KBS Tour
Byron Morgan DH89x
Scotty Cameron Asian Spec AOP Newport Oil Can 33/350

Pro Platinum Mil-Spec 33/350

  Cameron Classic Gun Blue 33/3503

TEI3 2nd gen 35/330

Studio Style Newport 34/340

Studio Stainless Newport Beach 34/340

ButtonBack Newport 34/340

009 34/350


Lakers Purple and Gold for Life


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Redjeep83

Redjeep83

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,656 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115910
  • Joined: 10/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 729

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:12 PM

I enjoy watching college golf too, like to see the raw swings. Can't stand listening to the commentator billy ray brown though, fat guy pudging around the course.

11

#12 bogeypro

bogeypro

    The Original Bogeypro

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Joined: 07/29/2005
  • Location:AL
  • Handicap:+1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1437

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:20 PM

Great final, but didn't win.... lost in a playoff hole.  Bama had a couple missteps down the stretch on the last 2 matches.  Still a great showing and I know they are reloading.  

Now, time for the Bama men's team to finish it.
Titleist 917 D3 9.5*
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Titleist 818 H2 3 hybrid
Titleist 718 TMB 4-pw
Titleist Vokey 50f/56m/60m
putter: who knows... I 3 putt with all of them

12

#13 KBong

KBong

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434478
  • Joined: 07/29/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 842

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:27 AM

View Postcardoustie, on 23 May 2018 - 10:32 AM, said:

1) When I watch ladies golf I am always amazed at how poor their short games are compared to the guys

2) Also, not a fan of the poor attitude or the larger girl .. too much pouting
1) Agree....you could see some only very average short games at the NCAA's this week.
The talent in women's NCAA isn't that deep....if you have length it can hide an average short game at this level.
For example....two of this week's commentators, Paige Mackenzie and Amanda Blumenherst were collegiate stars both with length,,,but both were wash-outs on the LPGA....their short games paled to the elite LPGA players.
IMO....only 15-20 LPGA pros have really good short games.

2) Yes, I can't stand Haley Moore's poutiness....we have also seen this in some of the LPGA events she has participated in and other collegiate events broadcasted on GC.

13

#14 KBong

KBong

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434478
  • Joined: 07/29/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 842

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:52 AM

I have enjoyed watching the women's NCAA's in the past few years...I also appreciate watching some of the great courses they have played too.

The gals are pathetically slow and it slows to a snail's pace when the coach gives advice....ugh.

It's great that athletes can obtain full ride scholarships to play golf and obtain a great education.
The women's game has changed so much with early maturity to be able to succeed quite young.
But the NCAA as a breeding ground for the LPGA is obsolete nowadays.....there hasn't been a NCAA grad in recent years that has become a LPGA star.
I'm not not convinced a newly minted Duke grad, Leona Macguire, will become a LPGA star....she WD from 2017 LPGA Q school maybe knowing she still wasn't ready for the LPGA???

Of the Rolex ranking top 50....here are LPGA pros who played NCAA golf for 4 years and their graduation year.....many quite a while ago (I maybe wrong on some years)
Anna Nordqvist (2008)
Lizette Salas (2011)
Stacy Lewis (2007)
Pernilla Lindberg (2009)
Marina Alex (2012)
Jodi Ewart Shadoff (2011)
Brittany Altomare..4 years??? (2012???)
Jennifer Song (only 2 years at USC)

As a young women potential golf star nowadays..... if you know you're good you bypass college and head straight to Q School.

Edited by KBong, 24 May 2018 - 12:54 AM.


14

#15 Golf Dino

Golf Dino

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489058
  • Joined: 12/20/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:08 AM

Some other LPGA members that played collegiate golf include:

Azaraha Muñoz
Beatriz Recari
Belen Mozo
Austin Ernst
Gaby Lopez
Emma Talley
Brittany Marchand
Anne-Catherine Tanguay
Danielle Kang
Maude-Aimee Leblanc
Bronte Law
Carlotta Ciganda
Holly Clyburn
Michelle Wie*
Brittany Lang

Wie attended Stanford but was already a member of the LPGA.  Most of the names above are right off of the LPGA leaderboard for the Volvik Tournament in Ann Arbour, MI.


Of course two recent notables include Annika Sorenstam and Lorena Ochoa ... both of whom played for the University of Arizona Wildcats ... the team that just won the NCAA championships.

The main point though, about whether the collegiate system is a good system for developing future professionals, is valid.  There are some players that just need more time to develop physically and mentally, and in doing so develop their games to the point that they can qualify for and compete on the LPGA.


15

#16 WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic

    Wizard in the Corner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425856
  • Joined: 05/19/2016
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2237

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:09 PM

I kind of enjoyed watching it, but these girls were painfully slow. Almost 6 hour rounds. I don't know what the coaches are teaching them, but Alabamas putting routines are insane. Cheyenne Knight took almost 3 minutes to hit a 4ft putt. I get that it's a big event, but jeez it was hard to watch at times. Not even to mention Moore pouting like a 6 year old. I probably sound harsh, but I'm not sure how good of an advertisement that was for women's college golf.

Edited by WidespreadPanic, 24 May 2018 - 01:14 PM.

Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
Cobra F7 15.5*
Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
Mizuno MPH5 4i
Mizuno MP33 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
Taylormade TPx

16

#17 4waymiss

4waymiss

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371465
  • Joined: 04/15/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 812

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:43 PM

Some argument is that stroke play ( before GC start airing it in 2015) is the best way to determine the national champion. UCLA and Alabama are arguably two of the best teams this year and they finished 1 and 2 in stroke play portion.

Match play can be volatile and you are done if your big stars have a slightly off day while running into a hot opponent. 8th seed Arizona beat them both. But I have to admit it was incredibly exciting TV.

I doubt GC would ever have signed on if not for match play. No doubt TV exposure will push the sport. And when the alumni see their school on TV they will open their wallet, which in turn benefit the whole student body.

I know it is backward, but this is America.

17

#18 KBong

KBong

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434478
  • Joined: 07/29/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 842

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

View PostGolf Dino, on 24 May 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:


Michelle Wie*

Wie attended Stanford but was already a member of the LPGA.  
I know you put a * by Wie name....but IMO....doesn't belong on the list...she never played golf for Stanford.
It was pretty sad that BJ & Bo also rented an apartment/condo for themselves in Palo Alto when Wiezy was attending Stanford.

18

#19 KBong

KBong

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434478
  • Joined: 07/29/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 842

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:20 PM

View PostWidespreadPanic, on 24 May 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

I kind of enjoyed watching it, but these girls were painfully slow. Almost 6 hour rounds.
I've played in many double shotgun scrambles with a bunch of weekend hacks in well under 6 hrs...just pathetic how golfers who average about 70-76 strokes can play in 6 hours...BRUTAL.

19

#20 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 4927

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:26 PM

For me, I give Hayley a pass.  She is an emotional player, but she was not out throwing clubs in the water, or snapping a driver, or screaming.  She wears her emotions on her sleeve, and yes gets frustrated, and a bit pouty, but is passionate.

I had a more difficult time watching Knight on the greens, just brutal.

There was a lot of good and bad from most all involved in the whole thing, but it is college sports, and we will get that.

GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60
Rogue SZ 3W - Tensei Pro Orange 70
Epic 3H - Tensei Pro White 90
MP18 Combo 4-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
O-Works Black 7s Tank
TM TP5X

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 KBong

KBong

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434478
  • Joined: 07/29/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 842

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:28 PM

View Post4waymiss, on 24 May 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

And when the alumni see their school on TV they will open their wallet, which in turn benefit the whole student body.
Yes, there are alumni donations that can be significant, but don't you think most university athletic programs are mainly funded by the money brought in by the football and basketball revenues....obviously I can be totally out of line....I don't fully comprehend US collegiate athletic financing.
All I know is that there is virtually no money in Canadian university athletic programs....heck I don't even know how the CFL can stay afloat.

21

#22 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 4927

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:31 PM

View PostKBong, on 24 May 2018 - 02:28 PM, said:

View Post4waymiss, on 24 May 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

And when the alumni see their school on TV they will open their wallet, which in turn benefit the whole student body.
Yes, there are alumni donations that can be significant, but don't you think most university athletic programs are mainly funded by the money brought in by the football and basketball revenues....obviously I can be totally out of line....I don't fully comprehend US collegiate athletic financing.
All I know is that there is virtually no money in Canadian university athletic programs....heck I don't even know how the CFL can stay afloat.

Yes, big time Football programs fund a lot of other University sports
GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60
Rogue SZ 3W - Tensei Pro Orange 70
Epic 3H - Tensei Pro White 90
MP18 Combo 4-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
O-Works Black 7s Tank
TM TP5X

22

#23 Golf Dino

Golf Dino

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489058
  • Joined: 12/20/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:22 PM

The increased television exposure that comes about from the Golf Channel now broadcasting live play of the NCAA Championships is good for collegiate golf.   The match play format is far more interesting to watch and has more drama in it than a regular stroke play event -- and as such, has the potential to appeal to less traditional golfers/audience.

While I completely agree with the sentiment that stroke play tends to produce the best player(s) over 4 rounds of tournament golf, there is something top be said for match play and the drama that it can bring to the event.

23

#24 Golf Dino

Golf Dino

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489058
  • Joined: 12/20/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

View PostWarrick, on 24 May 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

For me, I give Hayley a pass.  She is an emotional player, but she was not out throwing clubs in the water, or snapping a driver, or screaming.  She wears her emotions on her sleeve, and yes gets frustrated, and a bit pouty, but is passionate.

I had a more difficult time watching Knight on the greens, just brutal.

There was a lot of good and bad from most all involved in the whole thing, but it is college sports, and we will get that.

I agree with you on both counts.  I think Hayley was just extremely nervous and she does "wear her emotions on her sleeve".   Plus, as was noted throughout the broadcast, both her and her Alabama competitor like to play quickly and being in the last group, having to wait on nearly every shot probably heightened the emotions and nervousness in both of them.  

I recall a fiery Spaniard who took the golf world by storm at the British Open (or The Open Championship) in 1976 and he was most definitely known for his "pouting" and his passion, etc. :taunt:

24

#25 KBong

KBong

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434478
  • Joined: 07/29/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 842

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:35 PM

I hate all the whiner and cry baby golfers...too many to list.


25

#26 rushfan96

rushfan96

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1305
  • Joined: 06/01/2005
  • Location:El Paso, Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 180

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:21 PM

View PostGolf Dino, on 24 May 2018 - 11:08 AM, said:

Some other LPGA members that played collegiate golf include:

Azaraha Muñoz                            
Beatriz Recari
Belen Mozo
Austin Ernst
Gaby Lopez
Emma Talley
Brittany Marchand
Anne-Catherine Tanguay
Danielle Kang
Maude-Aimee Leblanc
Bronte Law
Carlotta Ciganda
Holly Clyburn
Michelle Wie*
Brittany Lang

Wie attended Stanford but was already a member of the LPGA.  Most of the names above are right off of the LPGA leaderboard for the Volvik Tournament in Ann Arbour, MI.


Of course two recent notables include Annika Sorenstam and Lorena Ochoa ... both of whom played for the University of Arizona Wildcats ... the team that just won the NCAA championships.    

The main point though, about whether the collegiate system is a good system for developing future professionals, is valid.  There are some players that just need more time to develop physically and mentally, and in doing so develop their games to the point that they can qualify for and compete on the LPGA.


Gerina Piller from Utep!


26

#27 Seamus McDuff

Seamus McDuff

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 272567
  • Joined: 08/24/2013
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 304

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:22 PM

View PostKBong, on 24 May 2018 - 12:52 AM, said:

I'm not not convinced a newly minted Duke grad, Leona Macguire, will become a LPGA star....she WD from 2017 LPGA Q school maybe knowing she still wasn't ready for the LPGA???


She did not WD from Q-school.

She did not participate in Stage III because she wanted to finish school and Stage II gave her the Symetra status she wanted.


Category F: Players at Stage II of the 2017 LPGA Qualifying Tournament who advance to Stage III, but either elect to not participate in or do not complete Stage III. Players will be ranked based on the order of their finish at Stage II. Ties will be broken in the following order: lowest final round; lowest 3rd round; lowest 2nd round; lowest 1st round; match of score cards beginning with the 18th hole of the final round and working backwards.
181. Leona Maguire (a)           183. Fumika Kawagishi    185. Cheyenne Knight (a)
182. Amy Ruengmateekhun * 184. Youngin Chun


Katelyn Dambaugh did the same thing last year and ended up in the top 10 on the Symetra money list.

27

#28 oldschooltarheel

oldschooltarheel

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44385
  • Joined: 12/23/2007
  • Location:Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Handicap:6.7
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:35 PM

Really enjoyed this event. The Final match was fabulous. Can’t wait for the men next week.

28

#29 KBong

KBong

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434478
  • Joined: 07/29/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 842

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

View PostSeamus McDuff, on 24 May 2018 - 06:22 PM, said:

View PostKBong, on 24 May 2018 - 12:52 AM, said:

I'm not not convinced a newly minted Duke grad, Leona Macguire, will become a LPGA star....she WD from 2017 LPGA Q school maybe knowing she still wasn't ready for the LPGA???


She did not WD from Q-school.

She did not participate in Stage III because she wanted to finish school and Stage II gave her the Symetra status she wanted.


Category F: Players at Stage II of the 2017 LPGA Qualifying Tournament who advance to Stage III, but either elect to not participate in or do not complete Stage III. Players will be ranked based on the order of their finish at Stage II. Ties will be broken in the following order: lowest final round; lowest 3rd round; lowest 2nd round; lowest 1st round; match of score cards beginning with the 18th hole of the final round and working backwards.
181. Leona Maguire (a)    183. Fumika Kawagishi 185. Cheyenne Knight (a)
182. Amy Ruengmateekhun * 184. Youngin Chun


Katelyn Dambaugh did the same thing last year and ended up in the top 10 on the Symetra money list.
http://www.lpga.com/...bership-in-2017

Maguire WD in 2016.....so twice she didn't want to go into final stage in 2016 & 2017....I don't follow her closely...so I was a bit confused when she WD.
If her main intention(s) were to go 4 full years at Duke...why bother registering for Q school.

https://www.nytimes....nspiration.html
Didn't Hannah O'Sullivan also do the same thing and WD from Q school maybe knowing she really didn't have the game to compete on the LPGA.
Now at Duke, her golf game is struggling and she's a shadow of her past success.

29

#30 Seamus McDuff

Seamus McDuff

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 272567
  • Joined: 08/24/2013
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 304

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:09 PM

View PostKBong, on 24 May 2018 - 06:47 PM, said:

View PostSeamus McDuff, on 24 May 2018 - 06:22 PM, said:

View PostKBong, on 24 May 2018 - 12:52 AM, said:

I'm not not convinced a newly minted Duke grad, Leona Macguire, will become a LPGA star....she WD from 2017 LPGA Q school maybe knowing she still wasn't ready for the LPGA???


She did not WD from Q-school.

She did not participate in Stage III because she wanted to finish school and Stage II gave her the Symetra status she wanted.


Category F: Players at Stage II of the 2017 LPGA Qualifying Tournament who advance to Stage III, but either elect to not participate in or do not complete Stage III. Players will be ranked based on the order of their finish at Stage II. Ties will be broken in the following order: lowest final round; lowest 3rd round; lowest 2nd round; lowest 1st round; match of score cards beginning with the 18th hole of the final round and working backwards.
181. Leona Maguire (a)           183. Fumika Kawagishi    185. Cheyenne Knight (a)
182. Amy Ruengmateekhun * 184. Youngin Chun


Katelyn Dambaugh did the same thing last year and ended up in the top 10 on the Symetra money list.
http://www.lpga.com/...bership-in-2017

Maguire WD in 2016.....so twice she didn't want to go into final stage in 2016 & 2017....I don't follow her closely...so I was a bit confused when she WD.
If her main intention(s) were to go 4 full years at Duke...why bother registering for Q school.

https://www.nytimes....nspiration.html
Didn't Hannah O'Sullivan also do the same thing and WD from Q school maybe knowing she really didn't have the game to compete on the LPGA.
Now at Duke, her golf game is struggling and she's a shadow of her past success.

Ok, I guess she technically WD in 2016 because she actually registered for Stage III, but I think she did it before play started.

In 2017 she didn’t register for Stage III. She knew she wanted to finish school and join Symetra after the season. I expect to see her playing one of the next two Symetra events.

Maybe she really wanted her degree.
Maybe she wanted to honor her commitment to Duke.
Maybe she didn’t want to leave her twin sister, who’s also on the team.


I think O’Sullivan was only a Freshman this year and I see no record of her playing Q-school last Fall.



Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors