Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Losing spine angle through impact?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CaddiesFault

CaddiesFault

Golf Professional

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152241
  • Handicap:-
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

thoughts on what I should be working on next? I am pretty comfortable with my Takeaway and feel like my biggest swing flaw is the fact that I do not hold my spine angle through impact very well. Because of this, my shaft exit angle is too steep and I flip the club closed through impact really hard.

A. Do you agree that this is what I should be working on?
B. If so do you have any swing thoughts or drills to help this?

Thanks.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Edited by CaddiesFault, 21 May 2018 - 08:53 PM.

Callaway

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 copperjeff

copperjeff

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187038
  • Handicap:9000
GolfWRX Likes : 414

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

Looks like you are trying to sling your arms and club through the impact zone in an effort to come from the inside.  You have to back out of the shot in order to make room for your arms extending the way they do and to hit the ball.

Downswing needs a big change.

Right shoulder needs to work more towards the ball, less straight down from transition.  Right arm will have to keep some bend in it as well to accommodate better shoulder turn in downswing.  Try some slow motion downswings with this thought.  (right arm will lose some bend, but not all as it approaches impact)
Slow motion and 1/4 to 1/2 speed shots will be crucial to you trying to make this change.  It's very likely if you try and do this full speed right away, you will slam the club into the ground behind the ball until you a little used to the motion change.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes

Good Luck!
Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

#3 CaddiesFault

CaddiesFault

Golf Professional

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

Getting better? Still too upright at the most critical time, impact, but holding spine angle longer before and after i think...

Hands closer to plane line at impact, exit shaft plane flatter/closer to on plane as well.

D186DCB7-841D-4A67-96C8-302C9032B722.png

CDEFBEBB-2C9B-4F63-9123-797FD2804564.png

Edited by CaddiesFault, 04 June 2018 - 10:02 PM.

Callaway

#4 CaddiesFault

CaddiesFault

Golf Professional

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:34 PM

Here I am a few months later. I really didnt work on fixing this much past my previous post. I am a decent player and dont play much tournament play so i had no real reason or motivation to work on it, but I have time and a simulator this winter.

9 Iron:

6 Iron:

Edited by CaddiesFault, 11 January 2019 - 12:57 PM.

Callaway

#5 copperjeff

copperjeff

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187038
  • Handicap:9000
GolfWRX Likes : 414

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:58 AM

As I said previously, what you are looking to change will take a lot of effort and commitment.  After viewing your swing, in addition to what I said previously, I would say your backswing shoulder turn needs to be steeper to help accommodate the downswing changes.

Honestly if you don't think you are motivated to make such a big change, that's ok.  Instead of trying to make big changes, you can make sure you are in balance at address, watch ball position, train a PSR (pre-shot routine) if you don't have one, get some data on your dispersion to make better on course decisions, and things of that nature.  These things will help you get the most out of the game that you currently have.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

#6 BottleCap

BottleCap

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132067
GolfWRX Likes : 476

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:17 AM

Sequence seems a bit off, it looks like you're using your arms to guide the club head to the ball, not swinging. I sort of had the same thing a while back, i went to a stronger grip and it allowed me to rip with my body
Taylormade M3 440 Tensei CK Pro Blue 70S
Titleist 917F3 15 GD TourAD BB 8S
Mizuno MP-18 3-PW DG S400
Vokey SM6 54S and 60K
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Bridgestone Tour B XS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors