Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Which driver is more forgiving?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pusb365

pusb365

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358233
GolfWRX Likes : 194

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:56 AM

Probably been asked a million times but I'll make it a million and one.

I currently game an Epic Sub Zero. Its very very long but I'm not finding it very forgiving. I've had it a year now and although my average drive distance has gone up I'm not hitting many fairways at all.

Which of these is the most forgiving:

Epic SZ
'17 M1
'17 M2
G LS Tec

And which of those is the best combination of distance and accuracy?

My SS is around 113mph, main miss with driver is toe side.

Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,909 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 6687

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:20 AM

As far as more forgiving - the epic SZ has the highest MOI (weight in back position).  Ping G LS Tech and M2 would be tied for 2nd in that category.

So if you are finding it not forgiving and the weight is in the forward position, try moving the weight back.   And if that doesn't work, the problem is not the head.  Most likely the playing length, but could also be the shaft weight, swing weight, or even shaft flex.

Even If you have the weight forward, the MOI is roughly equivalent to the 917D3 and the higher MOI settings of the M1.   The D2 only beats it out be a small amount.

All the heads can be equally good with distance - what you get for distance (and which might be best) is going to be highly dependent on your particular swing and those other fitting characteristics I already mentioned.

#3 cgasucks

cgasucks

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16512
GolfWRX Likes : 977

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

According to 'Spy's website, it's the Epic Sub Zero with the weights back.
9.5 deg Taylormade R7 Superquad (All Black First Edition) with stock Fujikura Reax TP shaft
1988 Tommy Armour 845s (3-PW, W3 (GW), SW) with stock TT Tour Step shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter

#4 cpeck

cpeck

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489470
  • Handicap:11.9
  • Ebay ID:chrispeck2012
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:42 AM

Try a lighter shaft, helped a lot with.my slice. Able to bring it around straigter. Good luck

#5 DFinch

DFinch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82054
  • Handicap:6.6
GolfWRX Likes : 406

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:22 AM

Like others have said, Epic SZ has the highest MOI of that group with the weight back.

"Forgiving" doesn't just mean MOI, however. The benefit of the standard Epic or clubs like the M1 is it allows you to adjust side to side trajectory by moving weights. With drivers that don't have side to side weight adjustment, you're stuck with whatever bias the head design has built in. If you have a one-way miss that type of adjustment can help inch you back toward the fairway. With your SZ, you can get some side to side adjustment with the loft and lie adjustment (lower loft opens the face, higher loft closes it, "D" setting makes the club more upright promoting a bit more left). Moving the weight forward theoretically will allow you to close the face easier due to lower MOI and will lower launch and spin.

MOI helps retain ball speed on mishits. Sometimes that just means you hit it farther into the junk. The theoretical benefit on mishits is it helps reduce face twisting, which may help you hit it not as much offline, but from my experience crooked is crooked.

I find the SZ to be a very accurate, forgiving, and long design. I've played it at 9* and 10* weight forward as well as 8* and 9* weight back with success.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 8*
Cobra Fly Z 3W 13.5*
Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5*
Maltby PTM (black) 4-GW
Mizuno MP-T5 54*/58*
Evnroll ER8
Snell MTB

#6 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,909 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 6687

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

Yes - forgiving is about more then MOI but...

View PostDFinch, on 21 May 2018 - 09:22 AM, said:

MOI helps retain ball speed on mishits.

No it's not really about ball speed.  It's about how much horizontal gear effect occurs on mishits  - which can have a big effect on the resulting shot shape.   Generally much more influence then can be provided by the sliding weights.

And face angle should be about dialing in the shot shape for "good" (well normal) hits, not mis-hits.

Edited by Stuart G., 21 May 2018 - 09:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors