Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 3 votes

Coolest moment on a golf course?

130 replies to this topic

#121 schley

schley

Love ya don't tell ya enough!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 355

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:52 AM

View PostMountainGoat, on 05 January 2019 - 09:02 AM, said:

I just had a very cool moment.  I've been recovering from serious injury, serious enough to question whether I'd ever be able to play again.  I've been rehabbing myself to exhaustion, but I've lost a lot of muscle and with it a lot of coordination.  A rare nice day afforded me the opportunity to hit the range for the first time in months.  My swing is still there.  Very cool!

Well since your swing is still there I'm happy it was one you wanted to keep!  For me I'd gladly trade mine is for a new one, so don't mind losing it. :stink:

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#122 bu11dog

bu11dog

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14240
  • Ebay ID:buiidog
GolfWRX Likes : 482

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:17 AM

TLDR: My dad chipped in from a very unlikely spot in a tournament.

I've been tremendously fortunate to have been able to play a lot of golf pre-kids (4 years of college golf #humblebrag) and have hit some pretty good shots in my lifetime, but my favorite moment has to be a shot my dad hit in a when we played together in our home club's Member/Member tournament.

This particular day of the tournament was alternate shot and I put him in no-man's land hitting it left of the par 4 10th hole. Left of the green on that hole is dead no matter where the flag is and of course that day the pin was cut about 5 feet off the left side of the green so he had no room to work with...maybe 8 feet or so.  

For those few of you who want a little more detail, there's a SEVERE dropoff (got to be at least 10 feet) on the left side of the green and the "rough" in that area is in a shaded spot, which means it's a little grass, but mostly it's hardpan dirt.  To make matters worse, the green runs away from the hole severely and is also down grain running away from the hole.  The bank is usually shaved pretty close, so anything that doesn't make it up the hill, comes rolling back down to your feet.  So to summarize...he has about a 25 foot pitch shot where he has to get the ball up quickly to an elevated green, hitting off dirt, to a pin with no room and a green with a severe slope that runs away from him and all the green is down grain.  As I said...DEAD.   An average shot, probably ends up with a 30 footer for par.  A good shot leaves with you with a 20 footer...an amazing shot might be ten feet, so in my mind, we were playing for bogey at best.

I started to go over to him to suggest trying to bump it into the bank and hope for a lucky break.  Before I got to him, he just smiled at me and winked and said, "Don't worry I got this."

I can only describe what happened next as a freaking miracle.  Somehow, Dad managed to pick the ball perfectly off the dirt, land it short of the pin (probably about 3 feet from the hole).  It still had speed and would have gone at least 10 feet by, but it clanged off the pin and dropped into the hole for the most unlikely birdie in the history of ever.  It was so cool to see his reaction and get to celebrate that one with him.  I don't remember exactly where we finished in that tournament.  I'm pretty sure we cashed in a little bit, but I'll never forget that shot.

He could have dropped 100 balls in the same spot and may have gotten 2 or 3 inside 8 feet. Of course, this is the same guy who also had a double eagle and a hole in one in the same round.  I didn't get to see that one, so that's off topic (but worthy of mentioning).  I miss him so much.

Edited by bu11dog, 07 January 2019 - 11:02 PM.

#123 MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450210
GolfWRX Likes : 1244

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:33 PM

View Postschley, on 07 January 2019 - 08:52 AM, said:

View PostMountainGoat, on 05 January 2019 - 09:02 AM, said:

I just had a very cool moment.  I've been recovering from serious injury, serious enough to question whether I'd ever be able to play again.  I've been rehabbing myself to exhaustion, but I've lost a lot of muscle and with it a lot of coordination.  A rare nice day afforded me the opportunity to hit the range for the first time in months.  My swing is still there.  Very cool!

Well since your swing is still there I'm happy it was one you wanted to keep!  For me I'd gladly trade mine is for a new one, so don't mind losing it. :stink:

Ha!  My swing is the product of years and years of effort.  I couldn't imagine starting over.

#124 elwhippy

elwhippy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
GolfWRX Likes : 1235

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:38 PM

Coolest or coldest? Coolest was walking inside the ropes with Corey, Kite, Duval and Leonard before 1997 Open. Rules guy is a local guy so we walked a few holes with him. Awesome.
Coldest Old Course in March. Three thermals and a Goretex jacket. 40mph. 18th was nailed driver and nailed 4 iron. We went to a coffee shop instead of a bar.

#125 Chogme6

Chogme6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 519478
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:Chogme6
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

Hole 10 at one of my home courses. Uphill par 5. My 3rd year golfing. The wind comes roaring out of the canyon strong in the morning. I hit a driver, then a 3 wood, and still 140 yds out. I felt the wind and guessed a couple clubs extra and took out my buddies jack Nicholas 7 wood that he swears by. I hit it at a back left tucked pin location and I saw it go right at it and it hit the bump right before the hole around the green. We got up to the hole and I searched off the back of the green for 10 min until I jokingly checked the hole. In it was. One of the greatest shots of my life because I wasn’t that good and I hit a full 7 wood right at a green with a cliff behind it. It was awesome!

#126 Jacked_Loft

Jacked_Loft

Steps Ahead

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449174
  • Handicap:Time
GolfWRX Likes : 399

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:11 AM

Waiting with my buddies on the tee of a 200 yd par 3 when we hear approaching police sirens.

Shortly thereafter a motorcycle followed by 2 patrol cars giving chase tear across the fairway, race through the rough and over the neighboring fairway before turning onto an access road leading off of the course.

Everyone including the 4 ball on the green just looked at each other in silence for the longest time before busting out laughing.

It was very cool.
WIMB:

`16 M1 9.5  Fuji Evo TS 661
`17 M1 3&5 Kuro Kage 70
P790 3I Nippon 950
P770 4-GW Nippon 950
MG 56° LB KBS REV
Spider Tour BLK
H2NO Carry

#127 Carl Spackler3

Carl Spackler3

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136528
GolfWRX Likes : 590

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:50 PM

My first par, Dads first eagle
Titleist 915 D2
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping G25 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
Vokey 52-08 sm4
Vokey 56-14 sm6
Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

#128 PMACGolf

PMACGolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 504570
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

Caddying for a pro in a web.com tournament, he made an ace in front of a large gallery, I’ll never forget it!

#129 Nateshot

Nateshot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472562
  • Handicap:7.3
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:14 PM

Every year for the past 10 or so, on the 4th of July I go up to the small town my mom grew up in to play in the two-man scramble with my cousin the 9 hole course puts on every year.

As a pair we had never won the championship flight. We had gotten second a half dozen times or so. Two years ago we paired with our competition and they were one shot up on us going into the last hole which was the 1 handicap hole number 8 that plays about 400 yards downhill and then steeply uphill to a turtle shell green. OB left and all sorts of tree trouble right. My cousin hit a very useable drive, but I hit one to 105 yds out down the middle. I then hit a 54 degree to about 18" for a tap in for birdie and the win.

This wouldn't have been so special to me if my grandma - who taught me how to play golf - hadn't passed away the winter before. It was where she grew up and lived her entire life and she was with me in spirit on that hole that day.
Ping G400 Max Alta CB 55 9*
Titleist 915F Rogue 80 15*
Titleist 913H Diamana 90 S 19*
Titleist 913H Diamana 82 S 24*
Callaway Apex Pro 16 5-PW Project X 6.0
Vokey SM6 50* F KBS C-Taper 130x, 53*M KBS 610 S, 58*M KBS 610 S
TM Spider Tour Red w/ sightline 34" pingman grip

#130 golfman79

golfman79

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26220
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:25 PM

Playing with my Dad at Bay Hill in 2007.  He aced the 2nd hole.  Arnold Palmer signed his ball and my hat at the turn.  Such a gentleman.  Made us feel like he really cared.  Also playing with my brother when he got his hole in one.  Still searching for my first.

Driver M4 10.5* Diamanna Kali 44.5 inches
3W: 2016 M2 15* Aldilla Tour Blue
Hybrids: 2017 19* and 22* 2017 M1 Kuro Kage Stiff
Irons: 2012 MC 4-PW, S300 2* upright, +.5in S300
Wedges: 52* Milled Grind Standard Bounce, Hi Toe 58* S300
Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour Black Superstroke Midnight/Red grip, custom red line

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#131 flip flappy

flip flappy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137925
GolfWRX Likes : 285

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:05 PM

Don't know if this was the coolest moment but it is one that me and my cousin talk about every time we play golf. We were celebrating his 30th birthday with a round of golf and got up to a par 5 and see a huge bird flying towards us. It turns out to be an Osprey with a pretty decent size bass in his talons flying around like he was showing off his catch. The bass was facing forward and looked sort of like a torpedo waiting to be dropped. We all just stopped and  watched him in all his splendor as he flew around. Also one of cousin's friends made a hole in one which was his 4th at age 30!
Ping G400 Max 10.5    
Cobra Baffler T Rail 3 wood
Ping i-e1  4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Ping B65 Cadence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors