Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

400 cc or smaller driver?

31 replies to this topic

#31 mikeybomp

mikeybomp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70126
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:mikeybomp
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:08 PM

One thing I don't understand.  Why does everyone laugh off the suggestion of a smaller driver.   I and most others, can hit our 3 wood much straighter that our drivers,with a sweet spot the size of what, a dime or a nickel?   Henrik Stenson uses his 3 wood, most of the time and he is always competitive.  I use a TaylorMade Sldr Mini and lowered my handicap  from 13 to 9 and fairways hit from 47% to 68%.  Maybe we can all be a little more helpful and stop assuming everyone needs a 460cc Driver.  Maybe some of you should buy an old persimmon driver and see how some of us learned how to play this great game.  Sorry, I just needed to say this.

Edited by mikeybomp, 20 June 2018 - 12:06 AM.

Cleveland Launcher DST Tour 9.5* Matrix HD6 R
Cleveland Launcher DST 15* 3 Wood Matrix HD6 R
TaylorMade SLDR S TP 21* 5HL Woods Matrix HD6 R
Cleveland Laucher HB Irons 4-PW,DW,SW
Titleist Vokey Japan Cold Forged 58* Sand Wedge Nippon 950GH R
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black SuperStroke 3.0
Bridgestone B330 RXS
Ogio 2017 Cirrus Cart Bag

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 coops

coops

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17659
GolfWRX Likes : 270

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:00 PM

View Postmikeybomp, on 19 June 2018 - 11:08 PM, said:

One thing I don't understand.  Why does everyone laugh off the suggestion of a smaller driver.   I and most others, can hit our 3 wood much straighter that our drivers,with a sweet spot the size of what, a dime or a nickel?   Henrik Stenson uses his 3 wood, most of the time and he is always competitive.  I use a TaylorMade Sldr Mini and lowered my handicap  from 13 to 9 and fairways hit from 47% to 68%.  Maybe we can all be a little more helpful and stop assuming everyone needs a 460cc Driver.  Maybe some of you should buy an old persimmon driver and see how some of us learned how to play this great game.  Sorry, I just needed to say this.

It's not necessarily the 460cc that's the worst issue... it's the excessive shaft lengths combined with shafts that are too light, and on top of that progressively more ridiculous lie angles (like a 60 deg lie on a 46" driver).

The ancient swingweight system was a decent stab at weighting clubs but only at 1/2" club shaft increments, with all clubs using the same shaft - from the days of wooden woods and same steel shafts as your irons. It takes no account whatsoever of total club mass, so a super lightweight shaft and driver clubhead should not be anywhereclose to the same swingweight as your irons. See Wishon's book on search for the perfect club.

that's my rant :swoon:

And I do practice what i'm preaching... i've a Mizuno 611 head at 44" long, 56-1/2 deg Lie with a 100gm Nunchuk shaft in it (and have gone to all nunchuk in my irons too... so it's like the olden days with irons and woods all shafted with the same shaft for me   ;-)    )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors