Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Summer 2018 - Your tournament golf ball this summer

69 replies to this topic

#1 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 550

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

What's your kids age and their tournament golf ball this summer?

Mine is 7YO - Currently playing the Wilson Staff Duo (29 compression) in orange. Will probably experiment with the Duo Spin (40 compression) or Duo Urethane (55 compression) this summer to see if he can get more spin and it doesn't affect distance.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 yellowlover519

yellowlover519

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89955
  • Ebay ID:yellowlover5
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:31 AM

srixon q star tour, duo u or pro v1x

#3 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

My son loves Callaway. We started using the chrome soft since the weather has warmed up.

#4 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 230

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:48 AM

DuoSpin .  We switched from regular Duo (orange too - loves Clemson) at the beginning of year.  Good results - Didnt notice any difference in distance, but did notice more spin - Not a ton, but worth the switch.  Will be throwing in Duo U to compare.

Follow up- picked up some Duo Uís for on course comparison today (against the incumbent duoSpin).  We played a casual round- alternated balls and hit both from tee to green on several holes from same spots all the way in.  The short review:  no difference in distance off tee with Driver or FW metal.  DuoSpin was noticeably higher trajectory/steeper decent into greens SW-8.  7 and down couldnít tell difference.  The DuoSpin still grabs enough to hold greens well, and for now for him I believe the higher launch of the DuoSpin into greens trumps the higher spin of the DuoU.  He hit a ton of greens today so, no feedback on greenside shots.

Edited by hangontight, 27 May 2018 - 04:16 PM.

#5 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

currently duo orange (last year model bc I can't stand to look at mate balls) great distance.  About to start experimenting with Project a, duo u and others.

#6 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:55 PM

My

View Postwildcatden, on 18 May 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

Mine is 7YO - Currently playing the Wilson Staff Duo (29 compression) in orange. Will probably experiment with the Duo Spin (40 compression) or Duo Urethane (55 compression) this summer to see if he can get more spin and it doesn't affect distance.

My daughter is 10 and we are currently going back and forth between the new Taylor Made Project A and the Titleist Tour Soft. I'm going to spend the next few weeks trying to figure out which is the best one for her.

#7 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 795

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:08 PM

I think I've said it before but we use the 2018 TM Project (a) for the most part.  He gets more distance with the Callaway Chrome Soft but he's not a fan of how they feel around the greens.  He drove a 233 yard hole the other day with the Chrome Soft so maybe he'll change his tune but who knows.  I may have raised a ball snob.

If anyone has experience with the 2018 TM Project (s) ball please chime in!  Want to give these a shot at some point.

#8 dlc1914

dlc1914

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 303015
  • Handicap:25
  • Ebay ID:sigmasharks@gmail.com
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:16 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 18 May 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

#9 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2021

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

View Postyellowlover519, on 18 May 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

srixon q star tour, duo u or pro v1x

Pro V1X for a 9 year old?  His club head speed must be over 100mph to be able to compress it.

Wilson FGTour

#10 yellowlover519

yellowlover519

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:42 PM

Heavy - I've researched the crap out of compression.  Maybe you and I were the first to have their kids play the FG Tour.  He's always played with a low compression ball - Wilson Duo U and the FG Tour before that.  But for some reason, he plays well with the Pro V1x, and I notice little to no difference in trajectory and distance tee to green (if anything, the Pro V1x has more roll off drives) and better performance around the greens.  I don't want to defy logic so 80% of the time he has a low compression ball in play; but, once in a while, whether it is a practice round or even a tourney, I'll throw in the Pro V1x only bc I've actually seen results.

Seriously, try it and let us know what difference, if any, there is tee to green.  It will be far better performing around the greens, I'll tell you that.  The new chrome softs have similar compression ratings as the Pro V series; I think only the first two generations of chrome soft were low compression.  Project (a) seems shortest of the low compression bunch with a urethane cover.  Srixon Q star is better than the Duo U (the Duo U has a bigger circumference - noticeable if you put it side by side to a regular golf ball).  

But I keep coming back to the lower compression balls bc I know he can't compress a pro v1x.  It drives me nuts!  I just ordered a bunch of Q Star tour 6 packs for $10 from Dick's Sporting Goods.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:35 PM

View Postyellowlover519, on 18 May 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

Heavy - I've researched the crap out of compression.  Maybe you and I were the first to have their kids play the FG Tour.  He's always played with a low compression ball - Wilson Duo U and the FG Tour before that.  But for some reason, he plays well with the Pro V1x, and I notice little to no difference in trajectory and distance tee to green (if anything, the Pro V1x has more roll off drives) and better performance around the greens.  I don't want to defy logic so 80% of the time he has a low compression ball in play; but, once in a while, whether it is a practice round or even a tourney, I'll throw in the Pro V1x only bc I've actually seen results.

Seriously, try it and let us know what difference, if any, there is tee to green.  It will be far better performing around the greens, I'll tell you that.  The new chrome softs have similar compression ratings as the Pro V series; I think only the first two generations of chrome soft were low compression.  Project (a) seems shortest of the low compression bunch with a urethane cover.  Srixon Q star is better than the Duo U (the Duo U has a bigger circumference - noticeable if you put it side by side to a regular golf ball).  

But I keep coming back to the lower compression balls bc I know he can't compress a pro v1x.  It drives me nuts!  I just ordered a bunch of Q Star tour 6 packs for $10 from Dick's Sporting Goods.

$10 for a six pack seems like a great deal.  if you buy by the dozen it is $30...doesnt make sense.  Can you elaborate on how the Q-Star tours play compared to others mentioned or others you have used?

#12 yellowlover519

yellowlover519

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:37 PM

View Posthangontight, on 18 May 2018 - 02:35 PM, said:

$10 for a six pack seems like a great deal.  if you buy by the dozen it is $30...doesnt make sense.  Can you elaborate on how the Q-Star tours play compared to others mentioned or others you have used?

Best of the low compression bunch.  Similar to Duo U but a smaller ball.  Canít get over the fact that the Duo is slightly larger.  Bridgestone RXS was just okay.  None of these low compression urethane balls perform as good around the greens as pro v series though.  Btw - noticed duo was larger bc it was harder to fit in one of those line drawer casings.

Edited by yellowlover519, 18 May 2018 - 02:45 PM.

#13 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:49 PM

View Postyellowlover519, on 18 May 2018 - 02:37 PM, said:

Best of the low compression bunch.  Similar to Duo U but a smaller ball.  Can't get over the fact that the Duo is slightly larger.  Bridgestone RXS was just okay.  None of these low compression urethane balls perform as good around the greens as pro v series though.  Btw - noticed duo was larger bc it was harder to fit in one of those line drawer casings.

Golf ball size was standardized in the early 90's... not sure what's up with you finding smaller balls.

#14 yellowlover519

yellowlover519

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:16 PM

View Postleezer99, on 18 May 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

Best of the low compression bunch.  Similar to Duo U but a smaller ball.  Can't get over the fact that the Duo is slightly larger.  Bridgestone RXS was just okay.  None of these low compression urethane balls perform as good around the greens as pro v series though.  Btw - noticed duo was larger bc it was harder to fit in one of those line drawer casings.

Golf ball size was standardized in the early 90's... not sure what's up with you finding smaller balls.

I think thatís minimum size thatís standard.  Just grab a duo and compare to pro v.  Duo is larger.

#15 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 550

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:32 PM

View Postyellowlover519, on 18 May 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 18 May 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

I think that's minimum size that's standard.  Just grab a duo and compare to pro v.  Duo is larger.

Never done a direct compare myself. Quick rule check does show there are minimum diameter (1.68 inches) and maximum weight (1.62 ounces).  Quick, somebody get me a golf ball the size of a grapefruit with some spin!!

#16 BertGA

BertGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

9 years old, just put 2017 TM project a into play last week. Better around the greens than the ladies TM we had before. But she told me no tournaments this summer.

#17 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:00 AM

has anyone tried the AVX or know the compression of that ball?

#18 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

View Postdarter79, on 20 May 2018 - 07:00 AM, said:

has anyone tried the AVX or know the compression of that ball?

My buddy plays these and he's a low single digit.  Definitely a lower ball flight from the Pro V1 or Pro V1x.  I wasn't a fan... felt clicky off the wedges and putter.  Irons felt good but too low for me.

#19 BloctonGolf11

BloctonGolf11

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 376734
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:bdgreene
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:59 PM

8 year old will be playing his third tour this summer and just passed his 1st year anniversary of playing the game. He plays either Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis or Wilson Duo Soft.
Dad's Bag

D: Ping G30 10 degree, Aldila Reg Flex
3W, and 7W: Cleveland Black, Bassara, Lite Flex
5i - PW: Titleist AP1 716, DG XP90 Reg Flex
W: 48 Cleveland Rotex 3
W: 52 Cleveland Rotex 2
W: 56 Vokey SM6 F Grind
P: TP Mills Flat-T Proto/TP Mills Softtail/Nike Oven MC-07w Prototype
Ball: Srixon Q-Star

Son's Bag (8 years old)
D: Callaway XR16, Flynn Shaft (Set to 15.5)
3W: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 19.5)
4H: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 25)
5i-PW: US Kids Tour Series TS2
W: 52, 56 degree US Kids Tour Series TS2
P: Nike Ignite 006/US Kids Tour Sandhills/Odyssey 2-Ball XJ
Ball: Wilson Duo Soft/Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis

#20 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:00 PM

Best of the low compression bunch.  Similar to Duo U but a smaller ball.  Canít get over the fact that the Duo is slightly larger.  Bridgestone RXS was just okay.  None of these low compression urethane balls perform as good around the greens as pro v series though.  Btw - noticed duo was larger bc it was harder to fit in one of those line drawer casings.

Found a q star tour in our random ball bucket and son played it today for a few holes in a USKG Local.  His driving was aweful today so donít have any good feedback yet on distance vs. the duo spin , but spin into and around greens was noticeably better.  He even hit a few thin screamers that I thought for sure would release over greens, but they held.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

Pro-V1/V1x

Other balls might be longer since his swing speed can't take advantage of compression, etc., but you can't really argue too much when your kid says "it gives me better feel around the greens"

#22 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:14 AM

View PostCTgolf, on 21 May 2018 - 10:31 AM, said:

Pro-V1/V1x

Other balls might be longer since his swing speed can't take advantage of compression, etc., but you can't really argue too much when your kid says "it gives me better feel around the greens"

A 7/8 year old doesn't even know what feel around greens is.  I don't care how old they are or how good they are, a 7/8 year old in no way shape or form should be using a ProV1.  Most amateur adults shouldn't be using a Prov1.  Titleist has done a great job of marketing.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 23 May 2018 - 11:08 AM.

#23 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:12 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 23 May 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

Pro-V1/V1x

A 7/8 year old doesn't even know what feel around greens is.  I don't care how old they are or how good they are, a 7/8 year old in no way shape or form should be using a ProV1.  Most amateur adults shouldn't be using a Prov1.  Titleist has done a great job of marketing.

You're probably right

Not a big difference in $ in the grand scheme of things (kids who hit it straight don't lose many balls); the happiness/$ ratio seems like a good value imho

#24 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:32 PM

View PostCTgolf, on 23 May 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

Pro-V1/V1x

You're probably right

Not a big difference in $ in the grand scheme of things (kids who hit it straight don't lose many balls); the happiness/$ ratio seems like a good value imho

Yeah, but if you were to switch to something like the Project A or Duo Urethane he would get the best of both worlds.  Longer ball, soft around the green with very good feel.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 24 May 2018 - 07:57 AM.

#25 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 259

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:12 PM

Not sure if others have seen this but my daughter doesn't seem to do well putting with Wilson duo ball. She does much better with other more expensive balls such as prov1, Callaway or even Bridgestone balls.  It almost seems like the better balls are more consistent and made with tighter tolerance.

Edited by tiger1873, 24 May 2018 - 06:09 AM.

#26 4rheel

4rheel

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20950
GolfWRX Likes : 391

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:18 PM

My kid is 13 and he switches between Chrome Soft and Q-Star Tours.  Keeps insisting he'd play better with ProV1. Lol

Edited by 4rheel, 23 May 2018 - 05:47 PM.

#27 AUSweeper

AUSweeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492298
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:45 PM

8 YO playing the Wilson Duo.  Tried the Callaway Chromesoft and Supersoft but he said it felt like he was putting a rock and lost a little in distance. Went to the Duo soft matte finish, played well but it was impossible to keep those clean.  So switched back to last years model of the Wilson Duo.

#28 MyShortGameSucks

MyShortGameSucks

His doesn't....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18898
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:Yippy77
GolfWRX Likes : 353

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:53 PM

My son is 14 and has been playing the 2014 B330s for the last few years.  He tried the new Tour B XS a few weeks ago and switched immediately.

It’s funny he keeps playing tournaments where they foist ProV1/ProV1X on the boys but neither of us like them.  We probably have 6 dozen sitting around unused :)
Callaway Epic Sub Zero Custom All-Black 10.5 deg, Diamana Ahina 60x
TM 790 UDI 2 iron / PX Hzrdus 85
Titleist 816H1 19 deg, Fuji 88H  
Titleist 816H2 23 deg, Fuji 88H
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-7,  Tour 8-PW.  Nippon Modus 105x
Mizuno S18, 50, 54, 58 deg - Nippon Modus 120s
SC Futura XR / SC Golo 5 / SC Notchback
Bridgestone B330 - B

#29 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

View PostMyShortGameSucks, on 23 May 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

My son is 14 and has been playing the 2014 B330s for the last few years.  He tried the new Tour B XS a few weeks ago and switched immediately.

It’s funny he keeps playing tournaments where they foist ProV1/ProV1X on the boys but neither of us like them.  We probably have 6 dozen sitting around unused :)
Hey pal!

#30 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:13 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 23 May 2018 - 01:32 PM, said:

View PostCTgolf, on 23 May 2018 - 01:12 PM, said:

Pro-V1/V1x

You're probably right

Yeah, but if you were to switch to something like the Project A or Duo Urethane he would get the best of both world.  Longer ball, soft around the green with very good feel.

Itís very possible, but Iím not sure you can reason with a young kid about those types of things without sapping some of the joy out of playing the same ball as your heroes on TV

The reality is we are not trying to optimize every single aspect of game improvement at this stage; we still have a US Kids Tour Series (not even TS3) driver in the bag despite the fact that getting an OEM head with the right shaft could add 10-20 yards easily.  You can only make the switch once, so I am not sure whether adding the distance now vs later really matters as long as youíre still able to be competitive and win.

Kind of like Greg Rose talks about developing the overall athlete instead of early specialization and focusing on minor skills that might bring quicker success/results (long vs short-term focus): I see it as a marathon, not a sprint, and in the case of the ball, maxing out the happiness and excitement of emulating idols to develop a love for the game might be a better long term investment overall

Edited by CTgolf, 24 May 2018 - 05:13 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors