Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Mixed Topic, More Curious on Mizuno Shaft Fitting Technology

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Marc21Golf

Marc21Golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 256554
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:53 PM

I just got done with a fitting for new irons.  I'll save you all the story of which irons I like the most, but what I'm more curious about is the Mizuno shaft selector rig thing-a-ma-bob.  
I took a few swings and he recorded the numbers and the first shaft it gave me was C Taper Lite X-Flex.  My swing speed with the 7 iron was 86.3mph.  I've never had an x-flex before, so I was curious on how it selected that shaft.  
It was about how I load my club that warrants that shaft, even though I don't believe my swing speed is high enough to need an x-flex.  Although... I will say this.  After comparing my current club to the two new irons i'm interested in with the C-Taper shaft, my dispersion and my mishits were a lot smaller with that shaft.  I don't really understand the technology, but I was just curious on other peoples experiences during a fitting and how accurate the information you get is after the fitting and seeing results on the course.

cheers!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR

Amateur

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105885
  • Handicap:6.2
GolfWRX Likes : 674

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:55 PM

Here's great video of them using it on Nick Faldo, former PGA Tour member and 6 time major winner... very informative. I've used the system a couple of times, it's accurate enough and they explain in the video how it works and what it accomplishes.

Titleist 913D2 9.5° | Callaway BBS2H2 3 Wood | Callaway Hawkeye VFT 5 Wood | Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54 | Cleveland RTX-3 60 | Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 Studio Select | Titleist Pro V1

#3 KGrinols

KGrinols

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 317509
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:39 PM

The Swing DNA or Shaft optimizer pretty much works off of 5 numbers for each swing, that are averaged together.
1: Clubhead Speed
2: Tempo
3: Toe Down
4: Kick Angle
5: Release factor

The more I read and research shafts, the more often people seem to be agreeing that swing speed is no longer the most accurate way to determine the flex you should be using.
The easiest example is two players who swing the same exact speed, but how they get to that speed, or deliver the club within that speed, can be completely different.

My friend swings  86mph with an extremely smooth back swing, transition, and forward swing that looks like butter.  Meanwhile, I swing the same 86 mph, but my back swing is slow, my transition is harsh and abrupt, and because of that, even though we're both swinging at the ball with the same speed, the amount of torque, or stress I put on the ball in my backswing vs his is completely different.  Having the same shaft just because our swing speeds are the same, wouldn't make sense.  I need a stiffer shaft, because god only knows how much I tweaked everything in my awful transition, or where the club head would be with a regular flex like my friend uses.

That's the un-technical explanation.  Hopefully smart people can better explain it, like the video above.

As for experience, a few months back I went to a fitter who did not use the DNA thing.  He fit me into the KBS Tour 90, but I didn't end up making a purchase.  Last week I went to a Mizuno Demo Day, and got to play with the Shaft optimizer, low and behold the top recommended shaft was the KBS Tour 90, with the Project X LZ 5.5 in 2nd.  I originally used Lightweight, Graphite, Regular Flex shafts, and basically both of them told me to avoid Graphite for my swing, that I need a stiffer flex, and both recommended for the KBS Tour 90.  I thought it was rather interesting.  For reference, the first fitter was independent and worked for a local course, no optimizer.  The second was a Mizuno Demo Day Rep, with the optimizer.

Best of luck.

#4 DaveMac

DaveMac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27975
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 589

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

View PostMarc21Golf, on 17 May 2018 - 06:53 PM, said:

I just got done with a fitting for new irons.  I'll save you all the story of which irons I like the most, but what I'm more curious about is the Mizuno shaft selector rig thing-a-ma-bob.  
I took a few swings and he recorded the numbers and the first shaft it gave me was C Taper Lite X-Flex.  My swing speed with the 7 iron was 86.3mph.  I've never had an x-flex before, so I was curious on how it selected that shaft.  
It was about how I load my club that warrants that shaft, even though I don't believe my swing speed is high enough to need an x-flex.  Although... I will say this.  After comparing my current club to the two new irons i'm interested in with the C-Taper shaft, my dispersion and my mishits were a lot smaller with that shaft.  I don't really understand the technology, but I was just curious on other peoples experiences during a fitting and how accurate the information you get is after the fitting and seeing results on the course.

cheers!

The Mizuno Optimiser is a shaft quick sort tool that uses electronics to measure the forces a player places on a shaft. IMO it is struggling to cope with the ever expanding range of custom shaft options. The system historically fits strong. It is very much at the mercy of its discrete DNA classification, 1 factor or 1 mph can result is very different starting recommendations.

Your example of 86.3 mph producing an X flex C Taper lite recommendation (along with Project X and Project X LZ 5.5) changing swing speed to 85.67 results in a C Taper lite S. It is important to realise the std Project X 5.5 is marginally stronger than the C Taper lite X in overall strength, flex labels don’t accurately describe the overall strength of a shaft.

The important thing to do is test both the S and X in the CTAPER Lite.

#5 NavyMustangGolf

NavyMustangGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129969
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:46 PM

Just got fit today with the same system. Was informative and fun. Ended up with the kbs tour shafts. Optimizer recommended S, but I went with x soft stepped. I like the heavier weight and I had the shafts already. For comparison, I swing 6 iron 94mph had a 120ish ball speed and it came with S all around. Totally agree with the above statement of how you load/get there vs. The speed itself being the decider. I'm pleased and we will see this afternoon if the scores reflect, lol.

I felt really good about that shot....
Until I hit it.

#6 Marc21Golf

Marc21Golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 256554
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted Today, 06:56 AM

View PostDaveMac, on 18 May 2018 - 05:38 PM, said:

View PostMarc21Golf, on 17 May 2018 - 06:53 PM, said:

cheers!

The Mizuno Optimiser is a shaft quick sort tool that uses electronics to measure the forces a player places on a shaft. IMO it is struggling to cope with the ever expanding range of custom shaft options. The system historically fits strong. It is very much at the mercy of its discrete DNA classification, 1 factor or 1 mph can result is very different starting recommendations.

Your example of 86.3 mph producing an X flex C Taper lite recommendation (along with Project X and Project X LZ 5.5) changing swing speed to 85.67 results in a C Taper lite S. It is important to realise the std Project X 5.5 is marginally stronger than the C Taper lite X in overall strength, flex labels don’t accurately describe the overall strength of a shaft.

The important thing to do is test both the S and X in the CTAPER Lite.
Are you a fitter?  You seem to be very knowledgeable about the Mizuno device.  You knew the other two shaft's that were in my top 3 for recommended shafts, and I did not mention the other numbers that had to be recorded (because I forgot what they were lol).  Very interesting how you mention less than 1 mph slower swing speed would warrant the stiff vs the x.

I did however have a chance to get into the fitting studio again since it was slow when I went to the shop.  I tried both the S and the X and compared it to my current iron and the dispersion was a lot tighter with the C Taper shaft.  I'm going to leave it at that and not dive into the technology behind it all... The less I know the better :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors