Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Playing Valhalla! What do I need...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johndagolfer

johndagolfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 491930
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

....to do to get ready?

I won a round for four through a work raffle!  But after seeing the reviews and some pictures of how difficult the holes are, I am getting a bit nervous.

On most full sized courses I shoot mid to high 80's.  I am not the greatest of ball strikers.  I normally hit my driver 250 carry and roll out.  My problem is that my irons suck!  There are days when I can hit 50 to 60% fairways and only hit 15% greens in reg.  The only thing that saves me from a really high number is that my pitching and chipping are pretty decent.

My round is scheduled for mid-September, so I have plenty of time to practice.  That being said, if I can improve my game where i can start shooting lower 80s from a regular 6500 yard course, which tee boxes should I play from at Valhalla.

Thanks in advance!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 highscoreinky

highscoreinky

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29688
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:36 PM

What do you need?  To go have fun and enjoy the course.  Pay attention to what your caddie says.  Not a time to focus on trying to shoot your best round ever but a time to enjoy the experience.  If you do that, you might be surprised at your score at the end of the round.  I was as I shot several strokes better than my handicap at the time.

Play the right tee boxes for you.  Played with a friend the first time who HAD to play from the tips.  His round was not as enjoyable as mine was.

#3 johndagolfer

johndagolfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 491930
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

highscoreinky, on 17 May 2018 - 02:36 PM, said:

What do you need?  To go have fun and enjoy the course.  Pay attention to what your caddie says.  Not a time to focus on trying to shoot your best round ever but a time to enjoy the experience.  If you do that, you might be surprised at your score at the end of the round.  I was as I shot several strokes better than my handicap at the time.

Play the right tee boxes for you.  Played with a friend the first time who HAD to play from the tips.  His round was not as enjoyable as mine was.

Based on my scores from 6500 yards on a decent course should I play from 6200 at Valhalla?

#4 pearsonified

pearsonified

Extreme enthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357207
  • Handicap:3.3
GolfWRX Likes : 975

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:53 PM

I caddied at Valhalla in the 90s and have seen all types of players tee it up out there. IMO, you should play from two tees up, but I can certainly understand if you want to play from one tee up (in the ~6700yd range).

The issue is that your irons will really be tested from one tee up, and I guarantee this will affect how you feel about your time out there. Two tees up will be a LOT more enjoyable!
PING G400 Max 9º •• Project X LZ17 6.5 (tipped 0.5")
TM M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65x
Callaway Apex 20º •• Project X EvenFlow Black Hybrid 6.5
Adams MB2 4-P (22.5º-47º) •• Project X LZ 6.5
Nike VR Forged 50º/10º •• KBS Tour 130x
Vokey SM5 54º/10º M •• DG S400
Nike Engage 60º Toe Sweep •• DG S200
TM Spider Tour Limited 35"

2018 Tournament Index: 4.77 (super bummed about this, see results)
2017 Tournament Index: 2.66

Current anti-handicap: 5.8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors