Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Are My Standards Too High?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SkiSchoolPro

SkiSchoolPro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469938
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

Am I wrong for NOT being excited that math teacher tells my kid 2+ weeks after a test that she got a problem correct that was originally solved incorrectly when they reviewed the test the next day in class?

I ask this because I just received an email from the school saying:
"I am SO GLAD to hear that [regular Math Teacher] was able to let [kid] know he did the problem correctly! I am not a mathematician in any sense of the word but it is good to hear that [kid] understands whatever concepts he was tested on."

To be fair, the regular teacher is on maternity leave (for the last 6 weeks of the school year) and she is the one who provided the replacement teacher with the answers to the test, BUT replacement teacher could certainly have seen that the answer of 2 (vs 458) was wrong with just a bit of common sense and a general understanding of what he supposedly taught the class. Also, replacement teacher was not responsive to initial emails and my kid did not get confirmation of correct answer until 10 days after I told replacement teacher of the mistake (which my kid was too shy to confront teacher on in class) and 7 days after head of school was made aware. The other kids in the class have still not been told that the answer provided in class was wrong.  

Summer=Golf, Winter= Ski Coaching, Private Lessons & Guiding at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keyston

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 1825

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

Did this cause your child or any other child to lose a scholarship or some other major issue in their life?  

This appears to be pretty classic helicopter parenting and you might want to stop that before you mess your kid up.  I had a similar scenario where my kid was mad because he got something right that was marked wrong, I assumed just an oversight.  I told him that he had a choice to keep it marked wrong and know that he was right OR to take it back to school the next day and talk to the teacher about it.  He took it back and got it fixed.  He's 7 and just learned a good life skill.

#3 Falang_Golfer

Falang_Golfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50791
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

Holy cow, Id hate to be a teacher there. The head of school was notified about an incorrect math answer? Tell your kid people make mistakes, even teachers, and move on.
Ping G25 9.5 - Diamana D+
Ping G20 3h - Tour TFC
Ping Rapture J 3-PW w/ Rombax 115i
Ping G25 SW - CFS X
Ping G25 LW - CFS X
Odyssey Black Series #9

#4 JackpotJohnny

JackpotJohnny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97333
GolfWRX Likes : 964

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

View Posthighergr0und, on 17 May 2018 - 01:22 PM, said:

Did this cause your child or any other child to lose a scholarship or some other major issue in their life?  

This appears to be pretty classic helicopter parenting and you might want to stop that before you mess your kid up.  I had a similar scenario where my kid was mad because he got something right that was marked wrong, I assumed just an oversight.  I told him that he had a choice to keep it marked wrong and know that he was right OR to take it back to school the next day and talk to the teacher about it.  He took it back and got it fixed.  He's 7 and just learned a good life skill.

My kid just got accepted to NYU, along with many other prestigious schools, and i Ive never seen a single report card the entire four years of high school.

Being a helicopter parent is the absolute worst thing you can do for your kids development

#5 Bingo1976

Bingo1976

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194780
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1225

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:30 AM

Your child learnt to question authority. Your child learnt that the correct answer is not always the right answer. Your child learnt that anyone can apologise for a mistake.

I think those are three valuable life lessons that the school just gave.

Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR
TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, Matrix Ozik R
Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S
Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S
Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200
Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS HiRev
Odyssey O-Works Black 34"

#6 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 378

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:53 PM

It's smart to pay close attention to what you kiddo is doing in school. It's cool to be excited about each of their good moves...as long as you don't balloon their head - haha! When my kids bring home math homework with one or two common core math problems that don't make sense they are allowed to write on the homework, "My dad's an engineer and he doesn't understand this." and move on to the next problem. If the teacher wants to debate math with me they are certainly welcome. (maybe I'll learn something, too)

Edited by BeerPerHole, 18 May 2018 - 06:54 PM.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
20-year old Mizuno 5 Wood
Balls: Snell (any model), Srixon Q Star XV

#7 JackpotJohnny

JackpotJohnny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97333
GolfWRX Likes : 964

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:36 PM

View PostBeerPerHole, on 18 May 2018 - 06:53 PM, said:

It's smart to pay close attention to what you kiddo is doing in school. It's cool to be excited about each of their good moves...as long as you don't balloon their head - haha! When my kids bring home math homework with one or two common core math problems that don't make sense they are allowed to write on the homework, "My dad's an engineer and he doesn't understand this." and move on to the next problem. If the teacher wants to debate math with me they are certainly welcome. (maybe I'll learn something, too)

Teaching your kid to pull the engineer card...priceless

#8 ping rat

ping rat

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 845 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116718
  • Ebay ID:herpitat
GolfWRX Likes : 402

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:45 PM

Mine are already through the school system. My daughter is earning her commission and nursing degree in the Navy and my son is working in my company and taking business classes in the evening (truth told he learns more at work than in school. If I had to do it again today they would be home schooled or in a carefully vetted private school. Our public schools are a pathetic joke.
Ping G400 AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Pro C-Taper
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57
Too many putters
WITB Link

#9 slocagolfer

slocagolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3629
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:58 PM

I'm a retired school teacher (more time for golf!). I used to tell my parents that if I sent anything home that was too difficult, wrong, or just plain weird to just write a note and tell me. A homework assignment isn't worth the stress and what I called "loud voices in the house." Your advice is spot on.

BTW, have you had to write the engineer note on an assignment yet?

#10 PixlPutterman

PixlPutterman

Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24110
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:MikesChevelle
GolfWRX Likes : 1038

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

How good of an engineer are you? ;)

2016 M1 Tour Issue 7.5° - EvenFlow White T1100
Ping i25 14° - Matrix HD10
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper
Wilson FG62 4-PW - S300
Cobra Tour Trusty 50°/56° - S300
Nike Engage DS 60° - S300
Custom Ping MgBr Dalehead - P2 Aware Grip
Mizuno TP Mills 7  

My WITB
http://www.golfwrx.c...e/#entry2280019

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 tocino

tocino

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150197
GolfWRX Likes : 308

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:04 AM

Schools nowadays make it way easier to become a helicopter parent. I get emails almost every day for my two oldest kids in high school concerning updated grades and due dates for assignments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors