Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

World Golf Tour


33 replies to this topic

#1 argaet

argaet

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483454
  • Joined: 10/04/2017
  • Location:NSW, Australia
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:17 AM

I know there was the proposed tour by Norman in the 90s and the PGA is expanding into Asia etc. But will we ever see a true World Golf Tour?  In order for it to happen the European Tour and PGA would have to work together somehow (to what benefit for either I don't know). Being from Australia, with no geographical attachment to either major tour, I'd love to see it. 15 events in the US, 15 in Europe, another 15 spread between the rest of the world. There'd be a lot of things to work out in terms of television, sponsorship etc but I think the idea has legs.

I'm particularly interested in the opinion of guys from the US vs the rest of the world.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 14945

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:02 AM

I wouldn't think the US players would  be on board since it only creates more work and time away for them.  And since they would be the majority contributor to the attraction , I doubt it ever happens.

Edited by bladehunter, 17 May 2018 - 07:27 AM.

17 M1 8.7  Tour Issue Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Titleist 816H2 21 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey  sm6   54M  300 series 59  Modus 125X
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights, vertical stamp face

2

#3 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 4100

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:22 AM

Travel all over the globe so a bunch of guys that live in Florida and Texas can play against each other?  Sounds good.

3

#4 Dave230

Dave230

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 252022
  • Joined: 05/22/2013
  • Location:Ireland
GolfWRX Likes : 2267

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:45 AM

Possible schedule:

December

Tournament of Champions - In Australia
Australian Open
Break for Christmas

January

South Africa Open
A big South African tournament, possibly Nedbank Challenge as a WGC
Abu Dhabi
Dubai Desert

February

Farmers Insurance (some Americans could start here - a 17/18 week stretch in the US)
Waste Management
Pebble Beach
Genesis Open

March

Honda Classic
Players
Valspar
Arnold Palmer

April

Texas Open
Masters
Heritage
Wells Fargo

May

Tournament of the Americas - held in Central/South America
Colonial
WGC Matchplay
PGA Championship

June

Memorial
US Open
Wentworth
French Open

July

Irish Open
Scottish
Open
European Masters - on rotation in continental Europe

August

New World Golf Championship - East Coast USA
Northern Trust
Olympics - On non-Olympic years, the World Cup of Golf
BMW Championship

September

Ryder Cup/President’s Cup
Dunhill Links
British Masters
Turkish Airlines

October

Japan Open
WGC-Champions
Korean Open
Tour Championship

4

#5 Ferguson

Ferguson

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Joined: 04/16/2015
  • Location:VA
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 3774

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:07 AM

A global or world tour would make all golfers "international" in status thus making the President's Cup and Ryder Cup matches immaterial.


5

#6 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 15944

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:20 AM

View Postgolfandfishing, on 17 May 2018 - 07:22 AM, said:

Travel all over the globe so a bunch of guys that live in Florida and Texas can play against each other?  Sounds good.

It's no problem

just need like


Posted Image

6

#7 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 15944

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:49 AM

View Postargaet, on 17 May 2018 - 06:17 AM, said:

I know there was the proposed tour by Norman in the 90s and the PGA is expanding into Asia etc. But will we ever see a true World Golf Tour?  In order for it to happen the European Tour and PGA would have to work together somehow (to what benefit for either I don't know). Being from Australia, with no geographical attachment to either major tour, I'd love to see it. 15 events in the US, 15 in Europe, another 15 spread between the rest of the world. There'd be a lot of things to work out in terms of television, sponsorship etc but I think the idea has legs.

I'm particularly interested in the opinion of guys from the US vs the rest of the world.

This reminds me of

Posted Image

7

#8 23under

23under

    KING

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140825
  • Joined: 10/02/2011
  • Location:England
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 449

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:50 AM

View Postbscinstnct, on 17 May 2018 - 08:49 AM, said:

View Postargaet, on 17 May 2018 - 06:17 AM, said:

I know there was the proposed tour by Norman in the 90s and the PGA is expanding into Asia etc. But will we ever see a true World Golf Tour?  In order for it to happen the European Tour and PGA would have to work together somehow (to what benefit for either I don't know). Being from Australia, with no geographical attachment to either major tour, I'd love to see it. 15 events in the US, 15 in Europe, another 15 spread between the rest of the world. There'd be a lot of things to work out in terms of television, sponsorship etc but I think the idea has legs.

I'm particularly interested in the opinion of guys from the US vs the rest of the world.

This reminds me of

Posted Image




https://www.youtube....h?v=0ZcpbsoeDZ0

8

#9 2putttom

2putttom

    # 1 Oregon Duck fan

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Joined: 04/24/2012
  • Location:N.California, LInks @ Bodega Bay
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 4575

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

View Postbscinstnct, on 17 May 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

View Postgolfandfishing, on 17 May 2018 - 07:22 AM, said:

Travel all over the globe so a bunch of guys that live in Florida and Texas can play against each other?  Sounds good.

It's no problem

just need like


Posted Image
Wayne (Newman) Knight aka the pissed off postman
Tour Exotics E 10 15*
Adams CMB 4-6  MB2's 7-9 1 more season
Mizuno Mp 4 52 MP T7 56 &60
Bobby Grace Jericho II Tour S Bend
Oregon Ducks Bag

9

#10 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

    I Strive to make you Better

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
  • Joined: 12/13/2011
  • Handicap:???
GolfWRX Likes : 1620

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

My idea has always been you do a 21 event world tour.

4 Majors
4 WGCs (USA, Latin America, Asia, Dubia) (Match Play Events)
The Players
BMW PGA
3 Stops in USA
3 Stops in Europe
2 Stops in Asia
2 Stops in ROW
1 World Championship (Rotates Location)

Top 75 players automatically for all 20 events. Majors/WGC/TPC/BMW, can set fields how they want. World Tour events have 25 spots avaliable for players from feeder tours (PGA Tour, Euro Tour, Asian Tour, etc).

Members must play at least 15 events on tour, must play 1 event from theit "home" tour, must play one event on another tour. (exceptions for injuries), minimum salery for full status players.

Top 40 players qualify for world Championship. Top 50 players get status next year.

Top 10 players from PGA Tour qualify for WT
Top 10 players from Euro
Top 3 from Asia
Top 2 from remaining OWGR

you still have the PGA Tour and Euro Tour but thry operate now to feed players into big events. Then at least two big players would be playing in the smaller events as well

Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Project X Hazardus Black 6.5
Fairway: Coming Soon Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*
Hybrid: Adams IDEA Super XTD 17*; UST Mamiya Proforce VTS 100HX
Utility: Coming Soon Taylormade Speedblade 3, 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-6, CB 7-9; Steelfiber i110x
Wedges: Scratch 1018 47*, 53*, 59*; Steelfiber i125x
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB
Ball: Vice Pro Plus Pink

#NoDaysOff

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 15944

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:41 AM

View Post2putttom, on 17 May 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

View Postbscinstnct, on 17 May 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

View Postgolfandfishing, on 17 May 2018 - 07:22 AM, said:

Travel all over the globe so a bunch of guys that live in Florida and Texas can play against each other?  Sounds good.

It's no problem

just need like


Posted Image
Wayne (Newman) Knight aka the pissed off postman

Ha! I just changed it up.

That wasn't Newman though, it was,

Ollie the Terminator. (Josh Mostel)

Posted Image

Edited by bscinstnct, 17 May 2018 - 10:43 AM.


11

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 1386

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:58 PM

I don't even like watching the WGC events that are in other countries.  Already have the Ryder, President's Cup, and the Olympics for international events.  A World tour would be pretty boring.

12

#13 JaNelson38

JaNelson38

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199901
  • Joined: 08/25/2012
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 1832

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:14 PM

View Postargaet, on 17 May 2018 - 06:17 AM, said:

I know there was the proposed tour by Norman in the 90s and the PGA is expanding into Asia etc. But will we ever see a true World Golf Tour?  In order for it to happen the European Tour and PGA would have to work together somehow (to what benefit for either I don't know). Being from Australia, with no geographical attachment to either major tour, I'd love to see it. 15 events in the US, 15 in Europe, another 15 spread between the rest of the world. There'd be a lot of things to work out in terms of television, sponsorship etc but I think the idea has legs.

I'm particularly interested in the opinion of guys from the US vs the rest of the world.

PGA Tour players already play for a million dollar check each week in America.  There's no need for them to travel across the world a bunch of times for events.   There's a reason why the best international players in the world all want to play on the PGA Tour.

Australia is just such a travel and logistical nightmare from the US that it just wouldnt work.

Edited by JaNelson38, 17 May 2018 - 01:15 PM.


13

#14 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 15944

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:15 PM

View Postbladehunter, on 17 May 2018 - 07:02 AM, said:

I wouldn't think the US players would  be on board since it only creates more work and time away for them.  And since they would be the majority contributor to the attraction , I doubt it ever happens.

It could work but they would have to

Posted Image



in order to get guys to put up with the disruption to their lives with the travel.


Also, I think most of the good players, Euro included, base their schedules on how to best be prepared for the Majors. That's why most, even non-US, live here a good portion of the year.

14

#15 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

    Hotel California Escapee

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Joined: 09/24/2008
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 45986

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:47 PM

You guys down under have a hemispheric problem. Don't make it a global problem. :D

Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

15

#16 haakzilla

haakzilla

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473414
  • Joined: 06/30/2017
  • Location:Oregon
  • Handicap:8.0
  • Ebay ID:khaak
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:14 PM

...the world golf tour already exists and it's one of the best golf game apps you could ever hope for (available on PC, Android, and Apple) --> https://m.wgt.com/

https://www.youtube....h?v=DZZuzPfeibM

Edited by haakzilla, 17 May 2018 - 05:16 PM.

DRIVER: TM M2 9.5° - GD Tour AD P9003x
WOOD: TM M2 15° Deep Face TI - Ozik Matrix Tour Black Tie 80m4x
UTILITY: Callaway Apex UT 21° - GD Tour AD 95x || Srixon u45 18°C-taper 130x
IRONS: Callaway X-Prototype 4-PW - Nippon SPBx || Srixon z945 4-PW DG TI x100
WEDGES: Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52°/56°/60° PM || Edel 50°/54°/58° DVR
PUTTER: Pro Platinum Del Mar 3.5 (Japan Release 340g) || 2014 Golo 3

16

#17 argaet

argaet

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483454
  • Joined: 10/04/2017
  • Location:NSW, Australia
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:51 AM

View PostConrad1953, on 17 May 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

You guys down under have a hemispheric problem. Don't make it a global problem. :D

100% agree!

I fully understand the improbability of it, I guess what I was truly asking hypothetically if all those hurdles weren’t in place would it be of interest to anyone. A man can dream but!

Edited by argaet, 18 May 2018 - 02:51 AM.


17

#18 imakaveli

imakaveli

    Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,974 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Joined: 06/22/2011
  • Location:Milano, Italy
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 4550

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:10 AM

Unfortunately we'll never see the best players compete on the best courses :(

18

#19 Bingo1976

Bingo1976

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194780
  • Joined: 07/26/2012
  • Location:Hong Kong
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1191

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:08 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 May 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

I don't even like watching the WGC events that are in other countries.  Already have the Ryder, President's Cup, and the Olympics for international events.  A World tour would be pretty boring.

Amazingly, for the 6 billion others of us that don't live in the US, seeing the same american players play the same courses with the same fans also gets pretty stale, especially when for most of us, you play at night..

Wait for big Asian money to get invested into tournaments outside of the US and everyone will be jumping a Netjets to come play golf. I suspect it may take another generation to get going (and maybe an Asian OWGR#1) but I can see it happening in my lifetime.
Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR
TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, Matrix Ozik R
Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S
Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S
Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200
Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS HiRev
Odyssey O-Works Black 34"

19

#20 argaet

argaet

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483454
  • Joined: 10/04/2017
  • Location:NSW, Australia
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:06 AM

View PostBingo1976, on 18 May 2018 - 04:08 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 May 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

I don't even like watching the WGC events that are in other countries.  Already have the Ryder, President's Cup, and the Olympics for international events.  A World tour would be pretty boring.

Amazingly, for the 6 billion others of us that don't live in the US, seeing the same american players play the same courses with the same fans also gets pretty stale, especially when for most of us, you play at night..

Wait for big Asian money to get invested into tournaments outside of the US and everyone will be jumping a Netjets to come play golf. I suspect it may take another generation to get going (and maybe an Asian OWGR#1) but I can see it happening in my lifetime.

Hopefully with that big Asian money and shift towards a global focus we also see a major moves out of the US too. The PGA is the obvious one to go.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

    Major Winner

  • Marshals
  • 3,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Joined: 08/24/2006
  • Location:NH native stuck in Northern Virginia
  • Handicap:6.2

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:24 AM

View Postargaet, on 18 May 2018 - 06:06 AM, said:

View PostBingo1976, on 18 May 2018 - 04:08 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 May 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

I don't even like watching the WGC events that are in other countries.  Already have the Ryder, President's Cup, and the Olympics for international events.  A World tour would be pretty boring.

Amazingly, for the 6 billion others of us that don't live in the US, seeing the same american players play the same courses with the same fans also gets pretty stale, especially when for most of us, you play at night..

Wait for big Asian money to get invested into tournaments outside of the US and everyone will be jumping a Netjets to come play golf. I suspect it may take another generation to get going (and maybe an Asian OWGR#1) but I can see it happening in my lifetime.

Hopefully with that big Asian money and shift towards a global focus we also see a major moves out of the US too. The PGA is the obvious one to go.

The "PGA" is run by the PGA of America. So...I dont really see this moving anytime soon. Nor would I want it to.

99% or more of the PGA Tour lives in America full time. PGA players already play in events in Europe, the Middle East, China, Australia and probably other countries I'm missing. Not sure the PGA Tour really needs any sort of concentrated "swing" outside the US.

As far as just "hoping a Netjets" to get there - thats great for the Top 20 or the guys rich enough to afford the travel. But thats about all you'd get. Guys outside the Top 50 or 100 arent spending the money to go over there, to risk missing a cut and go home in two days. Guys who are getting fat appearence fees are already going to those events.
M3 9.5 - AD-DI6x Black
M4 3W Atmos Red S - ('16 M2 3W - Tour Blue 75s)
Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
Cobra F8 One Lengths 5-GW - Steelfiber 110s
TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
Cure CX2 35" / TM TP5x

21

#22 argaet

argaet

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483454
  • Joined: 10/04/2017
  • Location:NSW, Australia
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:54 AM

Yes, but it’s not to say that the major outside of the US would stay as the PGA. The PGA would still exist as a tournament, just not a major. With a global focus, other tournaments would rise in prestige. Three major tournaments in one country is boring and hardly reflects the global reach of golf

Non American PGA players would no longer need to be based in the US as tournaments would be held worldwide. I’m sure if given the choice most would prefer to be based somewhere else.

I guess fields wouldn’t be made up of all current PGA players. Top 70 world rankings, plus other qualifiers then the remainder of the fields made up of players native to that country playing on their lower tier tour. It’d make for some great underdog stories.

22

#23 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 14945

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:26 AM

never happens.. You stand a better chance of moving Augusta national to an island in the south pacific than to move the PGA out of the country .
17 M1 8.7  Tour Issue Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Titleist 816H2 21 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey  sm6   54M  300 series 59  Modus 125X
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights, vertical stamp face

23

#24 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

    Major Winner

  • Marshals
  • 3,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Joined: 08/24/2006
  • Location:NH native stuck in Northern Virginia
  • Handicap:6.2

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

View Postbladehunter, on 18 May 2018 - 07:26 AM, said:

never happens.. You stand a better chance of moving Augusta national to an island in the south pacific than to move the PGA out of the country .

I was going to say you'd have better luck moving the Masters to a local Topgolf but I'll accept this too LOL.

If PGA players dont want to play on the PGA - they are free to base themselves wherever they want. No one is making them live in Florida. There are tours all over the world. No one is forcing them to stay/play here. I think they have all found though that there are many many reasons why its better than the alternatives.

I dont understand the interest in forcing more PGA events outside of the US. Just like I'm not interested in forcing any...Japan Tour events to be held in Oregon.
M3 9.5 - AD-DI6x Black
M4 3W Atmos Red S - ('16 M2 3W - Tour Blue 75s)
Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
Cobra F8 One Lengths 5-GW - Steelfiber 110s
TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
Cure CX2 35" / TM TP5x

24

#25 JaNelson38

JaNelson38

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199901
  • Joined: 08/25/2012
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 1832

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

View Postargaet, on 18 May 2018 - 06:54 AM, said:

Yes, but it’s not to say that the major outside of the US would stay as the PGA. The PGA would still exist as a tournament, just not a major. With a global focus, other tournaments would rise in prestige. Three major tournaments in one country is boring and hardly reflects the global reach of golf

Non American PGA players would no longer need to be based in the US as tournaments would be held worldwide. I’m sure if given the choice most would prefer to be based somewhere else.

I guess fields wouldn’t be made up of all current PGA players. Top 70 world rankings, plus other qualifiers then the remainder of the fields made up of players native to that country playing on their lower tier tour. It’d make for some great underdog stories.

Non-American PGA Tour players are based in the US because the PGA Tour is the top professional golf tour in the world, both in money and prestige... and being based in the US allows for much easier travel.   Even on the PGA Tour, these guys are traveling ALL THE TIME.  Likewise, having a residence in a place like Florida or southern California allows the player to play/practice during the fall and winter months when the schedule thins out and many of the top pros take time off.

The average flight from Orlando to Sydney like a 30 hour flight, with 2 or 3 stops.  From Los Angeles, its like 20-25 hours depending on the number of stops.  There's no way in hell a guy is gonna do that to go play in a golf tournament, unless he has a home in Austraila and its important to him - like, for instance, Adam Scott or Jason Day.  You talk like travel for these guys would be just like hopping in the car and driving down to the local club down the street.  For an American golfer to go to Sydney or Melbourne and play in a tournament or two would basically cost him a full month or six weeks in his schedule, when you factor in travel, logistics, jet lag, etc.  It makes no sense in any way, shape or form.

The WGC Match Play in 2001 that was held in Australia is a great reference point to look at in terms of how strong a field would be should a PGA Tour type of event be held there.  That WGC event was perhaps the weakest WGC event in its history.

Edited by JaNelson38, 18 May 2018 - 09:17 AM.


25

#26 JaNelson38

JaNelson38

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199901
  • Joined: 08/25/2012
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 1832

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

View PostBingo1976, on 18 May 2018 - 04:08 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 May 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

I don't even like watching the WGC events that are in other countries.  Already have the Ryder, President's Cup, and the Olympics for international events.  A World tour would be pretty boring.

Amazingly, for the 6 billion others of us that don't live in the US, seeing the same american players play the same courses with the same fans also gets pretty stale, especially when for most of us, you play at night..

Wait for big Asian money to get invested into tournaments outside of the US and everyone will be jumping a Netjets to come play golf. I suspect it may take another generation to get going (and maybe an Asian OWGR#1) but I can see it happening in my lifetime.

As long as the purses on the PGA Tour are at the levels they are at, its just not gonna happen.  

The purse and winners share this week at the Byron Nelson is not far off what the WGC in China currently pays.

26

#27 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 15944

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:28 AM

View PostBingo1976, on 18 May 2018 - 04:08 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 17 May 2018 - 12:58 PM, said:

I don't even like watching the WGC events that are in other countries.  Already have the Ryder, President's Cup, and the Olympics for international events.  A World tour would be pretty boring.

Amazingly, for the 6 billion others of us that don't live in the US, seeing the same american players play the same courses with the same fans also gets pretty stale, especially when for most of us, you play at night..

Wait for big Asian money to get invested into tournaments outside of the US and everyone will be jumping a Netjets to come play golf. I suspect it may take another generation to get going (and maybe an Asian OWGR#1) but I can see it happening in my lifetime.

It may take a while...

China shuts down billionaire's golf courses


The closures are the latest case of Chinese government officials cracking downon golf, which has become a symbol of the political corruption against which President Xi Jinping has been waging a massive, high-profile campaign. They also represent a fresh setback for Wanda, which has found parts of its businesses under pressure from authorities this year.

The Fusong County government ordered Wanda to stop golf operations at a resort in Changbaishan last month, according to a brief notice posted on the government's website on Friday. It didn't give a reason for the closures or say if they're permanent.
http://money.cnn.com...sure/index.html

Edited by bscinstnct, 18 May 2018 - 09:28 AM.


27

#28 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 1386

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:30 AM

View PostJaNelson38, on 18 May 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

View Postargaet, on 18 May 2018 - 06:54 AM, said:

Yes, but it’s not to say that the major outside of the US would stay as the PGA. The PGA would still exist as a tournament, just not a major. With a global focus, other tournaments would rise in prestige. Three major tournaments in one country is boring and hardly reflects the global reach of golf

Non American PGA players would no longer need to be based in the US as tournaments would be held worldwide. I’m sure if given the choice most would prefer to be based somewhere else.

I guess fields wouldn’t be made up of all current PGA players. Top 70 world rankings, plus other qualifiers then the remainder of the fields made up of players native to that country playing on their lower tier tour. It’d make for some great underdog stories.

Non-American PGA Tour players are based in the US because the PGA Tour is the top professional golf tour in the world, both in money and prestige... and being based in the US allows for much easier travel.   Even on the PGA Tour, these guys are traveling ALL THE TIME.  Likewise, having a residence in a place like Florida or southern California allows the player to play/practice during the fall and winter months when the schedule thins out and many of the top pros take time off.

The average flight from Orlando to Sydney like a 30 hour flight, with 2 or 3 stops.  From Los Angeles, its like 20-25 hours depending on the number of stops.  There's no way in hell a guy is gonna do that to go play in a golf tournament, unless he has a home in Austraila and its important to him - like, for instance, Adam Scott or Jason Day.  You talk like travel for these guys would be just like hopping in the car and driving down to the local club down the street.  For an American golfer to go to Sydney or Melbourne and play in a tournament or two would basically cost him a full month or six weeks in his schedule, when you factor in travel, logistics, jet lag, etc.  It makes no sense in any way, shape or form.

The WGC Match Play in 2001 that was held in Australia is a great reference point to look at in terms of how strong a field would be should a PGA Tour type of event be held there.  That WGC event was perhaps the weakest WGC event in its history.

Forget them bringing their own caddies as well.  The caddies couldn't afford to go unless the player is paying for them.

Why go play in other countries when the best tour in the world is right here in the USA?  Makes zero sense.  American players do not care about someone in Hong Kong or Australia watching them play.  This is a job for them.

28

#29 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 13,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 10143

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:58 AM

Fine the way it is, no reason to give up any leverage the Tour has and it's pretty much a world tour now and European Tour is surviving and has expanded to meet challenges.

But this has to come up every few months I guess.

29

#30 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 14945

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:14 PM

Exactly.  The cake tastes good to the baker.  Why would  he/she add a little Tabasco to the recipe ?  Just because ?   If there were a market for a world tour  it would exist.  Isn’t there an Australian/Asian tour ?   A European tour ?  A South African tour ?  A South American tour ?  Etc. If you want to promote matches between the tours cool.  But to delute the successful tour that props up all the others with interest , fans and $ would be suicide.

17 M1 8.7  Tour Issue Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Titleist 816H2 21 Graphite Design AD DI 105X
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-pw Modus 130X
Vokey  sm6   54M  300 series 59  Modus 125X
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights, vertical stamp face

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors