Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Iron Opinion(s)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 williaza

williaza

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460154
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:31 PM

I know the basics answer to this is go get fit by a quality person...and i believe in that...this is just for conversation and to hear peoples opinions.

Ive focused a lot on the possibility of switching my irons...really the last part of my bag i have some questions on.

I play Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 irons with TT DG AMT S300....I like the irons but i think performance is off sometimes.

Now im a 15 hdcp (and pretty steadily coming down...3 seasons playing the game) BUT actually do find the center of the face quite often..my lost shots come off the tee and course management alignment issues (working on that lol)

So here is what ive noticed...I draw the ball but my miss has turned into a hook...someone noted could be too much offset..

Also, my major problem is i hit a high ball and i feel with my irons if i really go after one its not just high but balloons..and if i play in ANY wind im dead also, i lack some spin...So, after reading MANY reviews of my current irons everyone says how they are designed to help with launch and lower spin to increase distance...I dont need any distance

Here we go:

1. Am i crazy to look at more "players" irons i.e. iBlades...z765...p770s..Apex Pro...ETC
2. Are some irons designed to increase launch and decrease spin despite loft? I watched youtube reviews on CF 16s every single one says how much launch increased but they are pretty strong lofts?

what are opinions of what i need to look for or what is just marketing noise. Thank you!!!

Edited by williaza, 16 May 2018 - 07:32 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 ShortGameJunkie

ShortGameJunkie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 496816
  • Handicap:8.4
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:43 PM

Guessing some others will chime in that have more experience or know a bit more. Iím not familiar with those irons but if they are the GI or SGI type those generally do launch higher and spin a bit less although a lot of the low spin issues can be seen a bit different if you compare spin loft for loft or for what distance a particular club is going instead of focusing on spin and what the bottom of the club says. I have a friend that also struggles with a high ball and ballooning but also struggles with high spin.

Generally ballooning or too high of a flight is because of high spin but if it is true that you are experiencing low spin but still a high ballooning flight than maybe a different iron is the way to go. Reason I say this instead of a low launch shaft is generally that comes with low spin such as KBS c taper.

If you are possibly mistaken and are actually spinning the ball too much leading to the ballooning then I would suggest trying a shaft like the c taper. I just havenít seen many instances of high ballooning flight while also having low spin, particularly in irons.

Hook issue could be due to lie angle so you may want to have that checked. This could be fixed or helped, depending on severity, by bending flatter.

Edited by ShortGameJunkie, 16 May 2018 - 08:45 PM.

Driver: 2016 M2 10.5* Fukijura pro 60 S

3wood: Tour Edge Exotics EX9 15* Matrix Ozik Red Tie S

3 hybrid: Ping G 19* Alta 70 S

4i: Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal C-Taper Lite S

5-GW: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged C-Taper Lite S

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 54* & 60*

Putter: 2018 Newport 34Ē

#3 williaza

williaza

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:53 PM

Thank you for the response. I have about 8500 rpms with my 51 Gap ...average 7i spin is 5500 rpms...my 7i launch is average 24* Peak height is 37 with a 165 carry 175 total distance...

#4 Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso

Ooooh, that's a duff.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497680
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:00 PM

View Postwilliaza, on 16 May 2018 - 07:31 PM, said:

I know the basics answer to this is go get fit by a quality person...and i believe in that...this is just for conversation and to hear peoples opinions.

Ive focused a lot on the possibility of switching my irons...really the last part of my bag i have some questions on.

I play Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 irons with TT DG AMT S300....I like the irons but i think performance is off sometimes.

Now im a 15 hdcp (and pretty steadily coming down...3 seasons playing the game) BUT actually do find the center of the face quite often..my lost shots come off the tee and course management alignment issues (working on that lol)

So here is what ive noticed...I draw the ball but my miss has turned into a hook...someone noted could be too much offset..

Also, my major problem is i hit a high ball and i feel with my irons if i really go after one its not just high but balloons..and if i play in ANY wind im dead also, i lack some spin...So, after reading MANY reviews of my current irons everyone says how they are designed to help with launch and lower spin to increase distance...I dont need any distance

Here we go:

1. Am i crazy to look at more "players" irons i.e. iBlades...z765...p770s..Apex Pro...ETC
2. Are some irons designed to increase launch and decrease spin despite loft? I watched youtube reviews on CF 16s every single one says how much launch increased but they are pretty strong lofts?

what are opinions of what i need to look for or what is just marketing noise. Thank you!!!
Just my opinion but I'd be looking at a few lessons to work on my ball flight before I'd be looking at new clubs to try and counteract what your current swing tendencies are.  You might also want to see  a fitter to check your lie angles.

Edited by Johnnypenso, 16 May 2018 - 09:01 PM.

#5 ChipNRun

ChipNRun

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 253750
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:20 PM

First of all, the Players, GI and SGI categories come to us from the Golf Digest Hot List. HL classifies club models according to perceived marketing niche. To create a little drama, HL has added a fourth unofficial category of Players Distance.

GolfWorks, on the other hand, offers the Maltby Playability Factor - normally used in iron models. The MPF is a score derived from a six-factor equation based upon the clubhead measurements - it has six categories. (Maltby himself cautions that MPF only deals with the club head - not the shaft).

In your case... For starters, go to different spring demo days: (1) hit different irons that look good to you; and (2) make a short list to take to a fitter.

Next, find a good fitter. After getting baseline data from your current set, the fitter can suggest better head-shaft combinations for your game. Shaft style influences how high you launch the ball, as does ball model. A good fitter can help you mesh these factors.

As far as Hot List categories... Ping i200 is considered a Player's club, but with the AWT 2.0 R-flex shaft I have had solid strikes at multiple demo days. But for Titleist, the only thing that seems to work is the AP1. The other head models don't work well, regardless of shaft type.

With the Callaway Apex, I seem to hit the Pro model better than the CG16 (go figure).

Combine the fitter's advice with your preferences, and go with what works.

Note: As ShortGJ said, perpetual hooks and pulls may indicate too upright a lie angle on the irons.
You can get a start at spring demo days: (1) go hit different iron models that look good to you; and, (2) make up  a short list to try out in fittings.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver:  Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
  or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
Hybrid:  Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
Irons: Calla X20 Tour 4i-9i / NS Pro 8950GH R-flex 97 gr.
Wedge:  Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +  
MD.PM 60°/10 / KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |      
Putter:   Ping B60 / 34" w. Winn ProX 1.8 grip
Bag:   Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
Ball:    Calla SuperSoft
   * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.

#6 williaza

williaza

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:21 AM

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic