Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What shaft specs point towards low launch?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ShortGameJunkie

ShortGameJunkie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 496816
  • Handicap:8.4
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:20 PM

Forgive me if this is answered elsewhere but couldnít find anything. A little about my game for any reference needed. 25 yr old current 8 cap, started a handicap beginning of last year and started at a 12, lowest Iíve been was between end of last year and beginning of this year(live in northeast) which was 7.4. Right around 100 mph SS can get up to 105 or so on some days and if I go after it. Strengths normally include: approaches 150 & in(stock 8i is ~155), short game(wedges), 3 wood off the tee, and recently 3 hybrid use, and my long irons have gotten better this year. Went from cuts and fades with a slice miss to this year straight and draws esp with longer clubs with miss being a hook. This is due to swing changes to be more shallow and try and get away from digging and some fat shots. Now can be considered somewhat of a picker. Weakness is driver and sometimes putting although Iíve gotten better recently. Driver is extremely streaky, some days Iíll be striping it mostly straight off the tee hitting 65-80% of fairways and otherís Iíll struggle with a hook/pull and hit 20%. Have always been low spin with driver(1850-2200 spin) and usually launch mid-low off the tee. Distance ranges from 240-260 normally but can vary +/- 10 yards depending on SS that day and conditions.

Most of the info is probably not needed but wanted to provide some background and got carried away a bit lol.

My question is what specs point to a lower launch shaft? I donít know much about shafts but know there is El profile, butt and tip stiffness and torque etc but do not know what is responsible for what. Reason I ask is for 2 different things:

Recently picked up an EX9 fairway but overall is launches a bit too high and canít really use it if itís windy as distance is then greatly affected. I donít think this is a spin issue as I compared it against my former fly z 3wood and it spun less. If I remember correctly is was avg of 3500 spin to 2800 spin, I do not remember the launch numbers. Because of my streaky driver I love to use 3wood off the tee sometimes, I donít use it for anything other than tee shots. I believe the EX9 is a higher launch head but I also know the shaft(red tie stiff) is characterized as mid launch. Fly z had the stock matrix VLCT stiff. So I want to know what specs to look for in a new 3wood shaft.

2nd reason: I did not get fit for my driver(stupid) so have the stock Fujikura pro 60 stiff in my 2016 M2 cut short 1Ē with some lead tape added to head but never SW measured and probably still not enough. I never liked the shaft and believe there is a better fit out there(will probably get fit at some point) but would like to know what to possibly avoid. This shaft always felt ďboardyĒ or too stiff I guess for a lack of better words, maybe the probably lacking SW has something to do with that feel? But I believe these are part of my streakiness with the driver. As I said I will probably get fit for a shaft for this driver but am curious what spec may be causing this feel.

Long post I know lol but hopefully some people will read and chime in to help.

Driver: 2016 M2 10.5* Fukijura pro 60 S

3wood: Tour Edge Exotics EX9 15* Matrix Ozik Red Tie S

3 hybrid: Ping G 19* Alta 70 S

4i: Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal C-Taper Lite S

5-GW: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged C-Taper Lite S

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 55* & 60*

Putter: Cleveland TFI Elevado 33"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 ChipNRun

ChipNRun

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 253750
GolfWRX Likes : 175

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

You are spending $$ for top-notch equipment, so why not get fitted? (Did you get fitted for irons?)

For driver and 3W, try different head-loft and shaft combinations to see which ones work best for you.

For a lower-launching 3W, consider the TE CBX.
What's In The Bag *...

Driver:  Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
  or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
Hybrid:  Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
Irons: Calla X20 Tour 4i-9i / NS Pro 8950GH R-flex 97 gr.
Wedge:  Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS - KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |

MD.PM 60°/10 - KBS TourV-W 125 gr.

Putter:   Ping B60 / 34" w. Winn ProX 1.8 grip
Bag:      Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
Ball:    Calla SuperSoft
   * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.

#3 Cwebb

Cwebb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,845 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
GolfWRX Likes : 1355

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:33 PM

Generally stiffer overall than what you're comparing it to.  More specifically....a stiffer lower/tip section, which can can be labeled with the basic description of a "high bend point".

To really know and be accurate, it's best to compare actual bend profile measurements, so we don't have to try and rely on general labels

#4 ShortGameJunkie

ShortGameJunkie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

View PostChipNRun, on 16 May 2018 - 07:24 PM, said:

You are spending $$ for top-notch equipment, so why not get fitted? (Did you get fitted for irons?)

For driver and 3W, try different head-loft and shaft combinations to see which ones work best for you.

For a lower-launching 3W, consider the TE CBX.
I bought driver before I took the game somewhat serious. 3 wood I got used for $40 on eBay. Did get fitted for irons

#5 hobbygolfer

hobbygolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18826
  • Ebay ID:strand110
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:28 AM

ShortGame,

to find out, if a shaft has the potential of being lower launching, your best source is the EI curve of a shaft. The middle section is the key area, where shaft manufacturers try to influence ballflight height nowaydays. A good source for EI profiles is Russ Rydens website golfshaftreviews.info. He's deep into stuff like that. But as others mentioned there are a couple of other factors to keep in mind, if you want a lower launching, lower spinning ballflight. Loft for sure, but also placement of the CoG within the design. Low profile fairwaywoods tend to launch higher and spin more in comparison to deeper faced more compact head styles. And all that without taking any swing issues into consideration.

Cheers,
Michael

#6 ShortGameJunkie

ShortGameJunkie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

View Posthobbygolfer, on 17 May 2018 - 03:28 AM, said:

ShortGame,

to find out, if a shaft has the potential of being lower launching, your best source is the EI curve of a shaft. The middle section is the key area, where shaft manufacturers try to influence ballflight height nowaydays. A good source for EI profiles is Russ Rydens website golfshaftreviews.info. He's deep into stuff like that. But as others mentioned there are a couple of other factors to keep in mind, if you want a lower launching, lower spinning ballflight. Loft for sure, but also placement of the CoG within the design. Low profile fairwaywoods tend to launch higher and spin more in comparison to deeper faced more compact head styles. And all that without taking any swing issues into consideration.

Cheers,
Michael

Thank you. Any idea what to look for within the profiles? Or is that explained there. As I type this I realize I should just go there and check but still Iím guessing not. Not a swing issue as my dad has my fly z and donít have issues with the high flight even with a bit more spin. With no wind interfering the EX9 is still longer which is why Iíd like to stick with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors