Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best Golf Experience

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 adamjstl

adamjstl

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120792
  • Handicap:2.6
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:50 PM

This is a toss up for me.

Last August, myself and a friend played Rich Harvest Farms just outside Chicago. Built by billionaire Jerry Rich, Rich Harvest is a perennial Top 100 course by Golf Digest. As the valet parks your car, you head out to the range to warm-up. One of the assistants came out to get our lunch order of homemade chicken quesedilas, which was served at the turn. The pro, David Kubiak, is a great host, and is exceptional at making everyone feel welcome. At the turn, we picked up our lunch and met Mr. Rich. He and his son thanked us for coming and were genuinely nice guys. The course is challenging, fun, and in immaculate condition. After the round, we got a chance to see Mr. Rich's classic car collection. My. God. There were probably 40-50 cars in total, and we found that the first two by the entrance were being shipped to auction for a combined $25 million.

Last week, another friend and I played Tiger's first American course, Bluejack National. Located just northwest of Houston, the two-year old layout looks and feels like something out of North Carolina, complete with elevation changes, towering pines, and sparkling white sand. After the valet took the car, we headed in to change shoes. After being offered fresh coffee and breakfast sandwiches, we headed for the range. An assistant pro and range attendant greet you and make you feel at home. We took a walk down to the first tee with our caddies and were greeted by the assistant pro we were playing with. You are then introduced by the starter, complete with your name, home club, and home town. Upon completing 9 and 18, a gentleman greets you with chilled, mango-scented towels to cool down. After the round, you are treated to lunch at The Place, and that is followed by the 10 hole par-3 course. Measuring only 792 yards, The Playgrounds is perfect for families and kids as well.

There are a lot of spoiled golfers on this site- what about the rest of you guys?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Justmuckit

Justmuckit

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75438
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 390

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

Certainly not as spoiled as a lot of you guys, so my answer would be Erin Hills.

Late June, 2016  - the wife and I basically shared the place with Mike Davis and some other USGA folks.  I never saw anyone else around the property (other than the golf course) the two nights we stayed.  They gave us a two bedroom suite for the price of a standard room as it was our anniversary.  They ended up using "our" bedroom as the scoring area for the US Open.  We were paired with a father-son who were great company and two excellent caddies.  

Can't wait to go back.

#3 mikedejong

mikedejong

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90109
  • Handicap:1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 273

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:10 AM

Diamante in Cabo. Breakfast or lunch is served before your round with whatever drinks you want. Caddies grab your bags and take them down to the range where you have a private 4 man stall for each group. They will grab you beers, whatever you want as you warm up, and load up your cart or bag for the round. They clean all your clubs as you warm up. Titleist ProV1 range balls. Once you tee off there are comfort stations every 4 holes that are unbelievable. A different snack and drink special at each one. Non-tipping facility so you don't even take your wallet when you go play, everything is included. Not to mention two of the nicest courses you will ever play. Other than playing in Scotland, this was the best golf experience that I have had. And the weather is of course unreal each and every day.
Lefty TM R9 Supertri TP
                Lefty TM R9 3 Wood TP
                Lefty Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
                Lefty 4-PW Wilson Staff FG62
                Lefty 52-56-60 Wilson Staff FG Tour
                Lefty Scotty Cameron GOLO

#4 mci711

mci711

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467000
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:49 AM

A few years ago I had a "quarter-life" crisis, I had graduated college a couple years before, had a job a didn't like and was pretty down. Golf was one thing that kept me going. I wanted to shake up things a little bit, so I bought a bike trained for a few weeks and then quit my job. I flew to seattle and rode from Seattle to San Francisco on my own, camped out almost every night. It was awesome.

Now to the golf. Along the way I made a couple stops. First was a night a Bandon Dunes. It was the first night in over a week I didn't sleep in a tent. And it was also my first time playing top 10 courses. Bandon was like golf heaven, I played Bandon and Pacific Dunes before continuing my treck. My first round at Pacific was in the afternoon, I teed off on my own. It was so peaceful, I finished with the sun going down. I was 1 over on holes with the wind and 8 or so over on hole in to the wind ha. But that 24 hours at Bandon was the best golf experience I have had.

I also played TPC Harding park and Pasatiempo on the trip. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by mci711, 17 May 2018 - 08:51 AM.

#5 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,804 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 19608

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:18 AM

I've played over 900 rounds on over 400 golf courses in the past 12 years. The highlight was my day at Pebble Beach last July. It was my 400th course played, and part of a 6 day, 9 round trip from SF to Monterey. From the drive to the course in the morning along the scenic 17-Mile drive and breakfast at Stillwater Grill overlooking the 18th green to the prime rib chili and coconut cake in the Tap Room in was an amazing day   (http://www.golfwrx.c...ey-trip-report/). I overlooked my mediocre ballstriking, and the poor pace of play, and simply soaked up the experience, snapping pics and laughing it up with my caddie.

#6 RBurl

RBurl

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285930
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:40 AM

I am a very lucky golfer! I haven't seen everything, but I'm trying my hardest.  The places that stick out for me have been:

Diamond Creek in the mountains of NC. They have done the best job creating spaces within their property that are outstanding. You sit down and say this is perfect! Then you say that five more times. I've seen them come up with a notary b/c it was needed. The helicopters bringing members to and fro... The famous comfort stations stocked with anything you could possibly want/ need.

Discovery Land Co properties are way over the top as well.

Caves Valley and Sage Valley are superb!  It's hard to have a better experience than there.

Old Memorial in Tampa from the Outback owners really prides themselves on being able to delivery any request you can come up with.

If you ever have the opportunity to visit and play one of these places, make it happen.

#7 slocagolfer

slocagolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3629
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:42 PM

I played a round with my dad and two of his friends, a couple that he met in the army during the Korean War. She was my cart partner and was recovering from breast cancer. She was a former club champion (San Jose CC) and one of the nicest people you'd ever meet. They were members at Monterey Peninsula CC and we played the Dunes Course that day. Wonderful course and amazing company. Unfortunately she passed away a couple years later as the cancer returned. Her husband was a very kind, terrific gentleman. It was absolutely my favorite day of golf, even beating the time I took my dad to Pebble. That's my best golf experience.

Edited by slocagolfer, 17 May 2018 - 02:42 PM.

#8 imakaveli

imakaveli

Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

• Advanced Members
  • 10,978 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 4553

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:53 AM

Cruden Bay: terrible lunch, terrible weather, terrible lady serving beers, but what a course! :golfer:

Edited by imakaveli, 18 May 2018 - 04:54 AM.

#9 1b!ggolfnut

1b!ggolfnut

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500990
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

Golf expierences in order

1. Pine Valley- fun atmosphere, putting green under the lights, short course, caddies. The expierence is number for me.

2. Augusta National - the staff is so friendly, itís history, ability to watch all of the old tournaments on demand in your room, wake up to a coffee overlooking the par 3, and did I mention the service of the staff.

3. Seminole-great Lockerroom, great caddies and staff is wonderful, well stocked golf shop and most importantly pace of play is well under 4 hours!

4. Indian Creek- great locker room where boys can be boys, Fanta ISIS setting overlooking Miami, best clubhouse in the us

Edited by 1b!ggolfnut, 18 May 2018 - 06:48 PM.

#10 tjblue

tjblue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 288705
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:52 PM

Sitting on the porch at The Ryder Cup bar as the sun goes down. Doesn't get much better.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 duffer987

duffer987

Wears trousers.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:8.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5356

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

Some fantastic stuff there folks :)
If getting scented towels while playing some new money privates floats your boat, well each to their own, but those other anecdotes are really what golf experiences are about! (cool)

I'm too wordy to get out a best experience in a timely manner; however, one golf moment me and one of my best mates always get a kick out of is revisiting our first tee experience at Prestwick a few years back.
With no round booked for the Sat before we leave Sun, we're sitting in Edinburgh and check the weather and see it's going to be nice down in Ayr in the afternoon. A quick look of Prestwicks site shows they have openings from 3:30pm onwards. In the car we get and off we go.

We get there early and the pro tells us if we are ready to go we can get off at 2:45 ahead of a group of Dutch tourists. So quickly get ready and as we are getting to the first tee, the members having completed their morning matches, are sitting outside in their club blazers and ties enjoying the sun and some brandy and we get to talking and joking around - ya we're from Canada, live in the States now, yup members of the Commonwealth, how'd you fellas do this morning, etc...

I go tee up my ball and there's some comment about little and large (I'm Furyk to my friend's Stadler/Lowry), so I chuckle and step back and reset and I'm still chuckling a bit.
So then I hear "C'mon San Francisco (I lived in NorCal at the time) if you're going around at that pace, you'll not get 9 in before dark". So that totally sets me off laughing. And I step away and everyone laughs. One guy says OK chaps we need to let him tee off. Total silence. I hit a mediocre ropey shot straight, but through the fairway into the rough. Get a few claps and a few "you're allright, you're allright".
There's some murmuring and then when my friend is set. Total silence. He hit's a nice cut towards the railway line and while it's still in the air, he gets many claps and some "well played, well played".

We bid our goodbyes to the gentlemen and start walking down the fairway and we look at each other and say - we must join this club :D

To get a sense of the hole, that's looking back down the first fairway from the 2nd tee:
Posted ImageDSCN2229 by dkb123, on Flickr

Edit: Ugh, see too wordy

Edited by duffer987, 18 May 2018 - 09:44 PM.

WITB | Courses Played list | How to leave feedback

"I don't agree 100% with your analysis.  Yes, it's nice to hole out, which I did twice during last weeks game, but didn't need either to win those holes or the match.   All that was needed was a tap in to win each hole.  Of course, I was aiming from 20yds and 15yds with the intent to put the ball in the hole, but the expectation was tap-ins." PT

#12 BG5

BG5

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223299
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:48 AM

Playing at Arcadia Bluffs with my best buddy.  We were coming in on 18 as the sun was setting over Lake Michigan and they had the bag pipes playing.  There might not be a better Golf environment than that.

Pure Michigan
Ping K15 Driver - 10.5*
Ping K15 3 Wood 16* & 5 Wood 19*
Ping Karsten Hybrids 19* 22* 25*
Ping Karsten Irons 6-PW
Ping Karsten Wedges 51* 55*
Ping Scottsdale Greyhawk TR Putter
WITB Link

#13 FairwayFred

FairwayFred

Major Winner

• Sponsors
  • 3,311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149
GolfWRX Likes : 1472

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:13 AM

Sand Hills Golf Club.  Simply the best golf experience anywhere.  It has the best course, the best food and the best people.  So relaxing being in the middle of nowhere like that.  Just doesn't get any better.
FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
ari@nationalcustomworks.com
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

#14 BlueFab5

BlueFab5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131761
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:17 AM

Stanwich Club in CT, also met Justin Thomas there.

#15 ryu123

ryu123

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285974
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

although Sagebrush was not the best course I've played (Pacific Dunes or Pebble Beach come to mind), the now closed Merritt, British Columbia, Canada club gave our group the best experiences over several summers.
9824202.jpg
Sagebrush was built on the north side of a steep hill, on firm sandy soil.  It was a hybrid links / mountain course.  The fairways were really firm & fast. Its greens some of the largest outside Old Macdonald.

Some years we were the only group on the course that day.  We played unlimited golf each day in power carts. After the 12th hole players stopped at a yurt to have the chef make lunch.  Next to the yurt (photo:  Vancouver Sun newspaper) was a pond where you were encouraged to cast a line & try to catch a trout.  Then on to the driveable par 4 13th.

#16 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 22,134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 22582

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:20 PM

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Jerry Rich of RHF, is an alumni of the Harvard of the Midwest, Northern Illinois University.

#17 imakaveli

imakaveli

Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

• Advanced Members
  • 10,978 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:13 AM

View PostBG5, on 19 May 2018 - 06:48 AM, said:

Playing at Arcadia Bluffs with my best buddy.  We were coming in on 18 as the sun was setting over Lake Michigan and they had the bag pipes playing.  There might not be a better Golf environment than that.

Pure Michigan

Bagpipes are pure Michigan?

#18 23under

23under

KING

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140825
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 449

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:54 AM

View PostBG5, on 19 May 2018 - 06:48 AM, said:

Pure Michigan

Beautiful, did you have a kiss and cuddle? :wub:

#19 mmckee02

mmckee02

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68884
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:mpmckee02
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

Playing NGLA with my best friend
Playing Myopia with the club historian and a good friend
Playing Pine Valley for the first time

#20 Stetson

Stetson

Major Winner

• 2,165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199816
GolfWRX Likes : 443

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:07 AM

View PostFairwayFred, on 19 May 2018 - 09:13 AM, said:

Sand Hills Golf Club.  Simply the best golf experience anywhere.  It has the best course, the best food and the best people.  So relaxing being in the middle of nowhere like that.  Just doesn't get any better.

Agree. Mullen, NEB is the spot. Iíve sat on the porch of the Ryder Cup room as mentioned above and it was fantastic but even the beauty of Kiawah didnít effect the soul the same way as the trip to the Sand Hills

Edited by Stetson, 21 May 2018 - 09:08 AM.

Driver: Ping G400 (Tour AD IZ)
3w: Ping G400 SFT (Xtorsion Copperhead)
3H: Exotics EX10 19* (Recoil 680)
3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Steelfiber 95)
4-P: Bridgestone J40 CB (Steelfiber 110)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Vokey Links K
Putter: Ping Nome TR

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 krzeczowskimatt

krzeczowskimatt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 470786
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

View PostStetson, on 21 May 2018 - 09:07 AM, said:

Agree. Mullen, NEB is the spot. I've sat on the porch of the Ryder Cup room as mentioned above and it was fantastic but even the beauty of Kiawah didn't effect the soul the same way as the trip to the Sand Hills

Two more weeks. All these posts are getting me so pumped up!

#22 FairwayFred

FairwayFred

Major Winner

• Sponsors
  • 3,311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149
GolfWRX Likes : 1472

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

View Postkrzeczowskimatt, on 21 May 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

Agree. Mullen, NEB is the spot. I've sat on the porch of the Ryder Cup room as mentioned above and it was fantastic but even the beauty of Kiawah didn't effect the soul the same way as the trip to the Sand Hills

It's life changing! :)

I'll warm her up for you this upcoming weekend.....
FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
ari@nationalcustomworks.com
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

#23 Stetson

Stetson

Major Winner

• 2,165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199816
GolfWRX Likes : 443

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:15 PM

View PostFairwayFred, on 21 May 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

View Postkrzeczowskimatt, on 21 May 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

It's life changing! :)

I'll warm her up for you this upcoming weekend.....

Can you guys stop all of this dirty talk, Iím trying to work over here
Driver: Ping G400 (Tour AD IZ)
3w: Ping G400 SFT (Xtorsion Copperhead)
3H: Exotics EX10 19* (Recoil 680)
3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Steelfiber 95)
4-P: Bridgestone J40 CB (Steelfiber 110)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Vokey Links K
Putter: Ping Nome TR

#24 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 11,634 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 5839

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:51 PM

So I got up early after a night out on the town in Monterrey and had an early morning tee time at Pebble, the weather was perfect.  We then proceeded to drive up in to the hills over looking the peninsula and played Tehama.  It's basically Clint Eastwood's private playground and his main residence.  A spectacular course with perfect greens and fairways,  with spectacular views.  Had lunch on the patio, hit balls and played with a great member.  I think the parking garage was nicer than most homes I have been in, yes the underground parking garage with marble floors....Clint doesn't like to see cars ruining the view.  Unbelievable.
Callaway GBB
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway X Hot 9w
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
Ball, KSig or a bunch of ProV's I won in a charity scramble.  
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

#25 Chef23

Chef23

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20428
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:18 PM

I would say one of my favorites was East Lake. You pull up and they unload your clubs and your car disappears until you need it I am not sure where it goes there doesn’t seem to be a parking lot on the grounds. Next is stepping into the clubhouse which is basically a shrine to Bobby Jones including ginger snaps.

Caddies in white jump suits on the course and a great lunch on the deck after the round. It is really a special place. Unfortunately it is mostly corporate memberships now which to me is the only downside.

I have played Muirfield Village the day after The Memorial a few times which is a great experience from the Sunday pin positions, caddies and milk shakes in the clubhouse after the round.

I have played Pebble twice which was awesome particularly because it was a work event and I didn’t have to pay.

My final is playing in Champions Tour pro-ams. My company is title sponsor of an event and I have hosted customers multiple times playing with pros ranging from major winners like Calcavecchia and Sluman to journeyman senior pros(frequently the most fun).  I ebpven had Crenshaw congratulate me on a hole in one at lunch.

Most of these I have been fortunate enough to have access through because of work.

#26 imakaveli

imakaveli

Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

• Advanced Members
  • 10,978 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:41 AM

View PostChef23, on 22 May 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

I would say one of my favorites was East Lake. You pull up and they unload your clubs and your car disappears until you need it I am not sure where it goes there doesn’t seem to be a parking lot on the grounds. Next is stepping into the clubhouse which is basically a shrine to Bobby Jones including ginger snaps.

Caddies in white jump suits on the course and a great lunch on the deck after the round. It is really a special place. Unfortunately it is mostly corporate memberships now which to me is the only downside.

I have played Muirfield Village the day after The Memorial a few times which is a great experience from the Sunday pin positions, caddies and milk shakes in the clubhouse after the round.

I have played Pebble twice which was awesome particularly because it was a work event and I didn’t have to pay.

My final is playing in Champions Tour pro-ams. My company is title sponsor of an event and I have hosted customers multiple times playing with pros ranging from major winners like Calcavecchia and Sluman to journeyman senior pros(frequently the most fun).  I ebpven had Crenshaw congratulate me on a hole in one at lunch.

Most of these I have been fortunate enough to have access through because of work.

Can I send you my cv?

#27 Chef23

Chef23

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20428
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

View Postimakaveli, on 23 May 2018 - 05:41 AM, said:

View PostChef23, on 22 May 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

Can I send you my cv?

It took me some years here to move up into a role where I got invited to these types of events.  Generally if I could get customers to attend I could talk my way in.  Once I hit management I was able to get to play in some.

#28 jwellefson1

jwellefson1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468356
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

My best golfing experience will always be walking over the Swiken Bridge with my dad. We both played terribly our first round on the Old, but it was truly one of the best memories of my life. It's something that my dad and I will always have together. I still look through my pictures and yardage book and marvel over that course. Don't know why it just sort of spoke to me. I played it twice on the same day and probably shot 30 strokes better the second round! The funniest thing that happened was on the Road Hole, I was left of the green, so I tried a chip (classic American move) rather than just putting. The ball hit and then went over the green, bounced off the road, then bounced off the wall onto the green. Ended up five feet from the pin somehow and sunk my par! Another guy's caddie just looked at me and said "I've seen a lot of rounds on this course, I have never seen anything like that before." But hey then again, that is the Old Course!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors