Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2019 US Open @ Pebble

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OregonHack

OregonHack

NW Golf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 485322
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:39 PM

Thinking of making this trip with some guys. Debating flying in or driving. A few questions for people who have been to the ATT Pro AM or other Opens at Pebble:
1. Where is the best lodging area?
2. Where will they shuttle in spectators from?
3. Is it a good course to watch a golf tournament?
Thanks in advance!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 mctrees02

mctrees02

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116510
  • Handicap:5ish
  • Ebay ID:mctrees02
GolfWRX Likes : 305

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:38 PM

1) find a VRBO in Carmel or PG if you can.
2) they have shuttles from different locations.  Pro-Am website gives you that info.
3) itís good course for watching tournament golf because multiple holes can be seen from a particular view point.

Also, just fly to SFO or SJC and drive.  Unless you have your own plane, it wonít be worth the cost to fly into MRY vs just driving 2 hours.

You could also stay in Santa Cruz, play Pasatiempo and other nearby places and be a 45 minute drive down when you want to watch golf.

#3 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

Serial Shanker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 2428

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:43 PM

View PostOregonHack, on 16 May 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

Thinking of making this trip with some guys. Debating flying in or driving. A few questions for people who have been to the ATT Pro AM or other Opens at Pebble:
1. Where is the best lodging area?
2. Where will they shuttle in spectators from?
3. Is it a good course to watch a golf tournament?
Thanks in advance!

1. agree w/mctrees
2. Likely Cal State Monterrey among others
3. The beauty is unreal so in that sense yes.  Can't really get close to a number of the greens so in that sense no.
Cobra F7+ - Copperhead 70TX
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
23* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
5-PW Yururi Flat Back Raw (Black) - DGTI X100s
GW, SW Royal Collect Dual Bite - DGTI S400s
Lob Wedge - SM6 MGrind - DGTI S400
Scotty Circa '62 No. 2
Snell MTB Black

#4 mneumann

mneumann

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94024
  • Ebay ID:ninerzfan8
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:21 PM

We went to the last open at pebble as well as multiple at&ts.

The open was just stupid crowded. We went Saturday, purposely at 8am since the leaders teed off at 2 or 3. The only shuttle was from California state Monterey, takes about 20-30 mins (or an hour if the bus driver gets lost on 17 mile like ours did and has to get directions from the passengers)

We went to the merch tent and walked around some. When we went to watch some players specifically, we were 12 deep to see Furyk tee off on 6. Then we went and waited 100 yards from 9 tee or 45 mins so we could be on the ropes to see tiger tee off and walk by. Then went to 17 grandstand and waited 30 mins or so for a seat where we could see 17 green and 18 tee both from 40 yards or so. We left around 2 and people were still flooding in, we saw the gallery watching the leaders putt on 1 and couldn't imagine how anyone could see.

Went home to watch the leaders back 9 and watched Sunday from home.

It was nothing like the at&t where you can essentially watch whatever you want.

This was before phones were allowed on the course, so I had no idea how anyone was scoring, leaderboards didn't really reflect the early guys.

Vrbo  will be pricey. We were getting married around the same time and looking at renting a house around Monterey for the wedding. They wanted 4k a week for our wedding and 30k for open week. This was similar elsewhere, everyone knew what they had.

Not trying to kill your trip, just sharing experience. My tip would be to stay as far north as you can stand. If you leave really early in the morning it's not a bad drive from even Gilroy or san jose as long as you aren't planning on getting sloshed on the course and having to drive back, it will be loads cheaper. Go early, enjoy the practice rounds and weekdays, I've heard they are much better. Enjoy pebble, it's a phenomenal  walk. I can say I've done it once which is what I wanted, I cant  imagine it wouldn't be the same scene crowdwise at any other course if you want to go to the open.

#5 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

Serial Shanker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 2428

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:15 PM

View Postmneumann, on 16 May 2018 - 09:21 PM, said:

We went to the last open at pebble as well as multiple at&ts.

The open was just stupid crowded. We went Saturday, purposely at 8am since the leaders teed off at 2 or 3. The only shuttle was from California state Monterey, takes about 20-30 mins (or an hour if the bus driver gets lost on 17 mile like ours did and has to get directions from the passengers)

We went to the merch tent and walked around some. When we went to watch some players specifically, we were 12 deep to see Furyk tee off on 6. Then we went and waited 100 yards from 9 tee or 45 mins so we could be on the ropes to see tiger tee off and walk by. Then went to 17 grandstand and waited 30 mins or so for a seat where we could see 17 green and 18 tee both from 40 yards or so. We left around 2 and people were still flooding in, we saw the gallery watching the leaders putt on 1 and couldn't imagine how anyone could see.

Went home to watch the leaders back 9 and watched Sunday from home.

It was nothing like the at&t where you can essentially watch whatever you want.

This was before phones were allowed on the course, so I had no idea how anyone was scoring, leaderboards didn't really reflect the early guys.

Vrbo  will be pricey. We were getting married around the same time and looking at renting a house around Monterey for the wedding. They wanted 4k a week for our wedding and 30k for open week. This was similar elsewhere, everyone knew what they had.

Not trying to kill your trip, just sharing experience. My tip would be to stay as far north as you can stand. If you leave really early in the morning it's not a bad drive from even Gilroy or san jose as long as you aren't planning on getting sloshed on the course and having to drive back, it will be loads cheaper. Go early, enjoy the practice rounds and weekdays, I've heard they are much better. Enjoy pebble, it's a phenomenal  walk. I can say I've done it once which is what I wanted, I cant  imagine it wouldn't be the same scene crowdwise at any other course if you want to go to the open.

Me and the father in law went to AT&T this year.  Our shuttle driver got lost so we went around the entire peninsula (which included driving by the aquarium) before he got us back on track.  We were on the bus nearly an hour to get back to the university.

Cobra F7+ - Copperhead 70TX
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
23* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
5-PW Yururi Flat Back Raw (Black) - DGTI X100s
GW, SW Royal Collect Dual Bite - DGTI S400s
Lob Wedge - SM6 MGrind - DGTI S400
Scotty Circa '62 No. 2
Snell MTB Black

#6 slocagolfer

slocagolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3629
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:50 PM

I'd second the suggestion about watching a practice round. They are much less crowded and you see almost everyone. The golfers will engage with the patrons fans even signing autographs on the course (though it's forbidden, I did see some players sign for kids). My favorite place to perch is by the seventh tee. You can see them come up six and tee off on eight. It's a short walk to see the approaches on eight. Plus I think it's the prettiest spot on the course.

Another tip is to dress for any type of weather. It's the Monterey Peninsula so be prepared!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors