Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Project x PXI vs LZ in irons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 taylormade4life

taylormade4life

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14766
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 259

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

I currently play the PXI 6.0 in 716 CB irons. I am looking to move to the Srixon 765 irons which have modus 120 or PX LZ.

I Was able to try the modus and they seemed ok, but how do the LZ compare to the PXI?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 oldhamer25

oldhamer25

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120505
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:23 PM

I liked the lz more than the pxi.  I have played some form of project x shafts for a long time.  Moved away from the standard project x to the lz last year.  To me the lz had same characteristics of px but with feel.  I played the pxi for about a year and got along fine with them, but have just enjoyed the lz more.
917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
716 T-MB 3 PX 6.0
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14

#3 evoviiiyou

evoviiiyou

evoviiiyou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22585
GolfWRX Likes : 652

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

From soft feel to firm feel from my experience all in the 5.5 and 6.0 variety
pxi > lz > px

I feel like the this above was exactly what I experienced.  The smooth feel in the pix exists in the lz that is lacking in the px.  In terms of flight it also translates from highest flight to lowest with Nike Golf TP balls

pxi > lz > px
TaylorMade M4 10.5*, Aldila RIP Beta 60S 44.75" 10gram weight, Golf Pride TW BLK, D4
TaylorMade R11 TP 4-17*, Aldila RIP Beta TP 70S 42.25", Golf Pride TW BLK, D4
Mizuno JPX FliHi 3 Hybrid, Nippon Modus Tour 130S, Golf Pride TW WHT, D3
Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-9 Irons, PX LZ 6.0 SS1X, Golf Pride TW BLK, D3
Mizuno JPX900 Forged PW-GW, PX LZ 5.5, Golf Pride TW BLK, D4
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 56-10, PX LZ 5.5, Golf Pride TW BLK, D5
SeeMore M1B CS Conti Golf BLK/BLU RST, 30.25", SS Slim 3.0 CounterCore 50gr Midnight BLK/BLU

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nike RZN Tour Platinum (stock piled for 5 yrs worth)
​Mizuno Pro 4-Way Stand Bag, Tour BLU/WHT

#4 taylormade4life

taylormade4life

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14766
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 259

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:39 PM

View Postoldhamer25, on 16 May 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

I liked the lz more than the pxi.  I have played some form of project x shafts for a long time.  Moved away from the standard project x to the lz last year.  To me the lz had same characteristics of px but with feel.  I played the pxi for about a year and got along fine with them, but have just enjoyed the lz more.

I like you have played PX satin, then the TT PX, then had a brief stint with C taper, now with PXI. Any difference in height or spin between PXI and LZ? Just haven't been able to keep up with the shaft changes and all lately. Seen some good deals on Srixon used 765 with LZ so very curious.

Thanks for your feedback!

View Postevoviiiyou, on 16 May 2018 - 02:38 PM, said:

From soft feel to firm feel from my experience all in the 5.5 and 6.0 variety
pxi > lz > px

I feel like the this above was exactly what I experienced.  The smooth feel in the pix exists in the lz that is lacking in the px.  In terms of flight it also translates from highest flight to lowest with Nike Golf TP balls

pxi > lz > px

Perfect! Thank you. I also happen to play the Nike TP as well so very easy comparison.

Thank you

#5 macnewma

macnewma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27662
  • Ebay ID:macnewma
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:05 PM

I've played the PX LZ and PXI extensively the past few years. I've never gamed PX but I've hit them many times.

I was fitted into the Pxi's by a fitter who frequents WRX. I was actually not familiar with the PXIs at the time. He put me in 6.5s. Prior to that I was playing Kbs tours which felt smooth but performed horribly for me. Before that it was S300 for th me most part.

The PXIs feel like PXs with the edge taken off. They arent Nippon smooth but they don't feel boardy like PX's. The lighter weight is also nice. I have to really screw up to get it to go left going left. That is my miss with most irons.

I didn't love the heads I was hitting with the PXIs and found some blades with PX LZ 6.5. I initially liked the PX LZ although I lost a little distance. They have a pronounced kick feel to them. The only other shafts I've felt with that kind of kick are graphite shafts. I would say it feels nothing like the PX or PXI. It is moderately butt stiff with a very soft mid.

I was able to play well with the PX LZ but it didn't work with my swing. It never felt right. My pull miss would also hook badly.

The PXI simply performs for me. It doesn't feel great but it performs. It matches my transition and I can feel where the clubhead is at the top. I can control trajectory and work the ball both ways. The best part is that it takes away my fear of the hooking pull.

If you look at the EI profiles of the PX and PXI they are nearly the same with the PXI being softer across the board. PX LZ is something else entirely. My guess is that it fits a smaller group of golfers similar to the Nippon 120.

With all that said, I have a new set of clubs coming with C Taper Lite S's as Mizuno doesn't offer the PXI. They should be fairly similar to the Pxi's. I get good results with C Tapers but similar to PX I hate the feel and I believe the weight throws off my transition.

FYI my driver ss is around 112-115mph. 6 iron swing speed is typically around 93-94mph.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors