Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Powerbilt DFX nitrogen driver

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31137
GolfWRX Likes : 177

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:13 AM

I recall trying the Air Force One driver several years back but found it too low launching and horribly LOUD. Sold it on.

Saw the newer version DFX driver (still 4 years old) on eBay and thought it looked very different. As the guy selling it was giving the profits the a disabled Armed Forces fund, that was just the excuse needed to get it done.

Club turns up and its brand new. 12.5 with senior flex, but as I've only bought it for 'fun' the specs wasn't that important.

First impressions are a deep face with cool Matt black finish. First swing, it sounds a muted 'thwack' and not tinny whatsoever.

Ball crushes off the face goes out to 215 yards comfortably besting my pals Rogue and Ping 400. We are all swingspeed on or around 85 mph. 12.5 loft launches like 9...rainbow boring.

Any good....yes! Am amazed I can't find any mention of this club on here (tried search button).

Callaway Rogue support the face with Jailbreak,
Powerbilt support with pressurised gas.

The only downside was hitting it low on the face was punished massively.

Did anyone else try this club in the past?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Ghostwedge

Ghostwedge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433482
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

Here's the back story... back in the days of golf before the metal wood took over, PowerBilt made great persimmon woods, with beautiful finishes on them. I remember buying a blond maple finished driver i couldn't hit just because it was the best looking wood head i'd ever seen. The original compny ( H&B ) made baseball bats (Louisville Slugger) legendary stuff, they became lost in the retail world without inovation and big advertising. If you ever come across a set of original PowerBilt Ciatation blades. Snatch em up.

#3 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31137
GolfWRX Likes : 177

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

Interesting read. I remember the Citation irons very well in the early 80s I think.

Found this review

http://www.golfwrx.c...ce-one-dfx-moi/

Have to say, I've had 5 rounds with this driver and it is outstanding. Sadly, it Seems the company have gone to the wall

I can only imagine the usual brand snobbery meant no one could be bothered to try this club. Without question, it is as good as ANYTHING currently available..ANYTHING !

Edited by Double Gee, 20 May 2018 - 02:01 PM.

#4 OsnolaKinnard

OsnolaKinnard

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442454
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:osnolakinnardb
GolfWRX Likes : 231

Posted Yesterday, 02:12 PM

View PostDouble Gee, on 16 May 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

I recall trying the Air Force One driver several years back but found it too low launching and horribly LOUD. Sold it on.

Saw the newer version DFX driver (still 4 years old) on eBay and thought it looked very different. As the guy selling it was giving the profits the a disabled Armed Forces fund, that was just the excuse needed to get it done.

Club turns up and its brand new. 12.5 with senior flex, but as I've only bought it for 'fun' the specs wasn't that important.

First impressions are a deep face with cool Matt black finish. First swing, it sounds a muted 'thwack' and not tinny whatsoever.

Ball crushes off the face goes out to 215 yards comfortably besting my pals Rogue and Ping 400. We are all swingspeed on or around 85 mph. 12.5 loft launches like 9°...rainbow boring.

Any good....yes! Am amazed I can't find any mention of this club on here (tried search button).

Callaway Rogue support the face with Jailbreak,
Powerbilt support with pressurised gas.

The only downside was hitting it low on the face was punished massively.

Did anyone else try this club in the past?

I have a 9.5* AF1 with the Fujikura 'speed rated 105 mph' shaft.

I get a very flat, very long ball flight with plenty of roll out.  It was bested by a TM M2/Aldila Rogue.  I am unable to turn the PB AF1 over from right to left and can do it with the M2...and the M2 is a touch longer than the PBAF1.

I still have the PB AF1 in my backup bag.  It is one of those clubs, kind of like the Wilson Triton...a very good club, that never gets considered by the masses because no one knows who it is...and honestly, the 'nitrogen charged' technology sounds incredibly cheesy.

Edited by OsnolaKinnard, Yesterday, 02:13 PM.

LAWS of golf + Whippy Tempomaster = CRUSHING IT

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors