Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Got new irons, everything sucks right now... Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cvisinho

cvisinho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 488734
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:48 AM

Good morning,

I bought new irons this winter in hopes of better game play, tech, distance blah blah blah. I really wanted to dive in and "get better" this year.
NOS Nike Vapors to be exact.  Mainly because of the slightly longer length that was recommended by a fitter during a casual fitting (at the local warehouse) and i loved the way they felt when hit clean.

Long story short...I have been hitting the ball like s***.  I had 2 great range sessions early this spring then 3 crappy rounds where i was hitting shots i never would have with my older adams graphite idea irons, ball slice came out of no where this year, and my swing feels/is slower.  I can assume swing speed is from the change to steel shaft?

Is this all mental/rust and should i ride it out  or is there something wrong with this picture?.

I dont expect to jump into a new pair of shoes and have them be broken in immediately, but im pretty baffled at the moment, I knew what to expect in the past.  I haven't shot over 100 with them, luckily my wedges cover my a** but im upset none the less and feel like im in no mans land right now.

I am fairly committed in busting out the 10 yr old irons next round or range visit to see if there is a story there worth following.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,470 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 8394

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

You may want to go through something like Ping's webfit to see what they say about length and lie angle, then compare to your new clubs.  If the new clubs are significantly longer than recommended that won't help you in terms of making solid contact.  I doubt the problem relates to the shaft material type but it will take some adjustment if the new shafts are a lot heavier, which is likely.  Is that adjustment period bad?  Most likely not if you are young and strong.  If you are over 50 then staying with the lighter shafts may be advised.
Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & E8 hybrid
Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

#3 Bobb3rdown

Bobb3rdown

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 501346
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:16 AM

Muscle memory from the old clubs. When I went 1/2" long on my irons it took a while before I was getting consistent results.
Ping g400 LST 10
Callaway diablo edge tour 15
Adams a7 19/Maltby dbm 3 iron
Titleist Ap2 716 4-gw
Cleveland rtx3 54,58
Ping sigma g darby

#4 Doyouevenblade

Doyouevenblade

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478208
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:35 AM

Im experiencing this with new wedges.  Thin/fat.  Muscle memory is a hell of a thing.  It is slowly getting better though!

#5 ChipNRun

ChipNRun

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 253750
GolfWRX Likes : 244

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:21 PM

View PostNessism, on 16 May 2018 - 09:59 AM, said:

You may want to go through something like Ping's webfit to see what they say about length and lie angle, then compare to your new clubs.  If the new clubs are significantly longer than recommended that won't help you in terms of making solid contact. ...  
I got a custom fit for Nike Vapor Speeds, and had trouble hitting anything longer than a 7i. The VS model came with a 38.75" 5i, which was about .75" longer than my previous irons. I had been recommended on other irons for maybe a 38.25" in 5i.

I'm thinking the factory did standard rather than just over 38", which I thought the fitter recommended.

If the clubs are longer than standard with no factory adjustments in weight, you may have a swingweight that's hard to handle, along with too long a shaft.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver:  Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
  or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
Hybrid:  Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
Irons: Calla X20 Tour 4i-9i / NS Pro 8950GH R-flex 97 gr.
Wedge:  Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +  
MD.PM 60°/10 / KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |      
Putter:   Ping B60 / 34" w. Winn ProX 1.8 grip
Bag:   Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
Ball:    Calla SuperSoft
   * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.

#6 platgof

platgof

platgof

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125351
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:platgof
GolfWRX Likes : 259

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

The swing weight is a huge difference. You go longer with graphite, not steel. I say cut the 7 iron to std length and try it. I bet you are all over the heel on these, shank city. Get some sole markers that are used on the bottom of the irons, and see what your contact looks like.

Edited by platgof, 16 May 2018 - 05:57 PM.

GBB Fusion HT 13.5
F7 4 Wood GBB 5 & 7 Wood
GBB OS 4, 5 Hybrid
TM M4 6-AW
Ping Glide 56 ES
Scotty X5R
B330RX

#7 cvisinho

cvisinho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:38 PM

Good info, thanks guys. I'm only 36. Coming off my most enjoyable golf season last year.
The set back is aggravating.  I'll try the ping webfit tomorrow and dig up the specs of my new clubs. I can't help to feel like steel shafts may have been a bad move coming off graphite.  But we will see.

#8 cvisinho

cvisinho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:45 PM

View Postplatgof, on 16 May 2018 - 05:56 PM, said:

The swing weight is a huge difference. You go longer with graphite, not steel. I say cut the 7 iron to std length and try it. I bet you are all over the heel on these, shank city. Get some sole markers that are used on the bottom of the irons, and see what your contact looks like.
Your exactly right also, heel/shank city.

#9 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
GolfWRX Likes : 565

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:45 PM

You're not only just dealing with changing to a new set of iron but with longer length and from graphite to steel shaft.... takes a long time to get switched over.  
Can not have instant switch over with several range session, because hitting off the mat is not a good indication of how you'll strike the golf ball off the turf.
In the mean time, you might try to grip down on the iron 1/2" - 1" to see if you'll improve on the ball contact.

Have someone check the swing weight and compare to your old set.  If you have time and a scale , you could try using this estimate for assembled golf clubs.  You can also compare the static weight of both sets to know if you'll need more muscle to swing the new set.
http://www.leaderboard.com/swingwt.htm

#10 cvisinho

cvisinho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:13 AM

Luckilly i do have a scale at home,  Ill give that a try.

Searching around i found this little calculator below, claims i should actually be in a standard length set for my height/wrist to floor length.  Go figure
Ping webfit had me at +.5
Needless to say, im probably going to stroll into a real fitter soon and asses a re tooling of my current Nikes or figure something out.

http://www.goldeneag.../lengthhelp.htm

Edited by cvisinho, 17 May 2018 - 09:17 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 cvisinho

cvisinho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:32 AM

Funny how i matched up old and new clubs, length seems to be a match

Biggest things i noticed were face offset was deeper on the old Adams and the Adams has more heel weighting than the new Nike, which is mostly toe.

Im sure both of those things play a decent factor.

I have not weighed them yet for comparison.  Couldn't find my scale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors