Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

EBay shenanigans


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Unoputts

Unoputts

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484402
  • Joined: 10/15/2017
  • Location:Seattle
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:18 PM

So I recently won an eBay auction for a scotty cameron studio design 1.5 putter. I promptly paid the seller and the next day I received a message via eBay from the seller saying he had canceled the auction and refunded my money due to eBay some how double listing the putter. He says that the "other" auction went for double the price i had won it for. This was a used not mint but ok condition putter, I won it for 170ish he says the other auction it went for 365, and he was selling to that bidder. That was my first clue this guy is a fraud because no one would ever pay that much for it. Also I saw the same putter with exact same pics listed a few weeks earlier and it had sold in auction to a high bidder. I was interested in it then but missed the auction ending and did not bid on it. So when I saw it relisted I was some what suspicious of shenanigans. The seller did refund all my payment but I feel I have no way to fight back with eBay besides negative feed back and comments,which I did leave. EBay closed the case since I was refunded. This guy has other items listed on eBay and feel i should post his seller name. Should I? Has any one run across things like this on eBay like double listings. Would love some feed back I'll try to post the link to the auction. Thanks


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Celeras

Celeras

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 496920
  • Joined: 03/23/2018
  • Location:Long Island, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:48 PM

You were refunded... what's the problem? Move on with your life.
Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 10.5* PX Even Flow Black 75 6.0
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* PX Even Flow Blue 75 6.0
Ping G400 Hybrid 19* Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping G400 5-UW AWT 2.0 Stiff, Green Dot
Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB Wedge Set 56/60*
Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 #7
Callaway Fusion 14

2

#3 justincredible04

justincredible04

    Justincase1004

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60545
  • Joined: 07/15/2008
  • Location:Idaho
  • Ebay ID:justincase1004
GolfWRX Likes : 495

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:50 PM

That sucks. You got refunded. Guy sounds like a flake anyway. Probably saved you a headache

3

#4 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Joined: 09/24/2008
  • Location:Alabama
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 49346

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:52 PM

I think you should just let it go. It ain't worth the grief, time and effort. You got your money back right away.

4

#5 Guia

Guia

    Ancient Dude

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,447 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
  • Joined: 10/28/2009
  • Location:Southwest
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 2212

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:20 PM

I had the same thing happen about 5 years ago, seller resisted with the same pictures.  I called him on it and he said that he had 2 sets that were the same.  His story did not hold water, I called him a liar.  Anyway, I did not pursue any other action, and moved on.


5

#6 jschwarb

jschwarb

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157177
  • Joined: 01/22/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 266

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

Don't say "no one would ever pay that much for it." There are plenty of crazy buyers on eBay and of course plenty of crazy Cameron buyers. It's fishy for the seller to do business like that but, again, you got your money back.

6

#7 The General

The General

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12372
  • Joined: 02/21/2006
  • Location:Nashville, TN
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 547

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:34 AM

eBay is full of shady ****bags, unfortunately, be lucky you got refunded and move on to a better Cameron, like a newport 2 :)

7

#8 Your-away!

Your-away!

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 323581
  • Joined: 06/27/2014
  • Location:UK
GolfWRX Likes : 690

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:42 AM

Fight back?? to do what? force him to send you the putter? well that wont happen.

Its Ebay, unfortunately you either get use to stuff like that or you don't buy items on Ebay

To be honest if he was a complete Ebay D!ck (and there are lots of them!) he wouldn't have refunded you and he would have waited about 2 weeks till Ebay did it for him
DRIVER:Taylormade M2 (2016) 9.5* - Diamana 60S
3 WOOD:Taylormade M2 Tour (2017) 17* HL - Diamana 70 S
HYBRID:Adams Proto DHY 21* - Steelfiber i95 s
IRONS 4-PW:Taylormade P770 -KBS Tour S 2.0* flat
GAP WEDGE:Taylormade R Series Satin 51*(52) - KBS Tour S - 2.5* flat
WEDGES:Titleist SM6 RAW - 56/60 - S300 - 2.5* Flat
PUTTER:TaylormadeSpider Tour Red - 34"
BALL:Whichever gets bought for me, or found.

8

#9 Back9

Back9

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44146
  • Joined: 12/18/2007
  • Location:Wisco
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:08 AM

Looking at the recently completed listings for that putter it does look like there was one putter sold twice on 5/9, once for $182.50 and again for $349.99.  It was also sold on 4/24 for $167 and didn't sell on a 4/17 listing with starting bid at $167.  Pics are identical and it is the same seller.

Interestingly, there is a note on the $182.50 auction that says (I blocked out the name of the bidder):


Deadbeat non paying bidder *********** last time, don't bid again this time
Listing info
Page views: 320 High bidder ID: ************(183 Posted Image) 100% Duration: 7 days Start time: Apr 17, 2018 16:55:45 PDT Start price:
US $167.00


Weird stuff.

9

#10 Bowlorgolf

Bowlorgolf

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 498000
  • Joined: 04/05/2018
  • Location:WI
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:52 PM

This is the problem with the way eBay changed their feedback policy. They need to tighten back up on the sellers that just hurt the honest sellers.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 TheBIIgCat

TheBIIgCat

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246615
  • Joined: 04/22/2013
  • Location:SC
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:27 PM

View PostBowlorgolf, on 16 May 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

This is the problem with the way eBay changed their feedback policy. They need to tighten back up on the sellers that just hurt the honest sellers.
They could care less.. They just want their money, could care less about anything else. I have had more bad deals on there in the last 6 months than i had in the previous 10 years. Total crap shoot really, even when sellers have great feedback
Driver- Ping GMax with 70 gram Tensei Pro Orange<br />3-Wood- 13.5 910 FD with Kuro Kage Xt 70 <br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 3-PW ) Srixon 945,745,545 raw heads with OTi 105x shafts-Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 TVD Vokey ( Steelfibers )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...

11

#12 Bowlorgolf

Bowlorgolf

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 498000
  • Joined: 04/05/2018
  • Location:WI
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:39 PM

One thing that I found that has helped you is to ask the seller to send additional pics at a different angle or view that may hint at them not actually having the item. Gives a better clue of the real condition. Did this for Toulon and the putter was in better shape than their posting showed because it was a mark on the putter that cleaned right off.

12

#13 Unoputts

Unoputts

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484402
  • Joined: 10/15/2017
  • Location:Seattle
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:16 PM

View PostBack9, on 16 May 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

Looking at the recently completed listings for that putter it does look like there was one putter sold twice on 5/9, once for $182.50 and again for $349.99.  It was also sold on 4/24 for $167 and didn't sell on a 4/17 listing with starting bid at $167.  Pics are identical and it is the same seller.

Interestingly, there is a note on the $182.50 auction that says (I blocked out the name of the bidder):


Deadbeat non paying bidder *********** last time, don't bid again this time                                        
                    Listing info
                                                        Page views:                            320                                            High bidder ID:                            ************(183 Posted Image) 100%                                            Duration:                            7 days                                            Start time:                            Apr 17, 2018 16:55:45 PDT                                            Start price:                            
US $167.00                        


Weird stuff.
thanks for the research. I was the one who paid 182. Had my price wrong in original post. How many bids were on the 349 auction?

13

#14 Back9

Back9

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44146
  • Joined: 12/18/2007
  • Location:Wisco
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:23 PM

View PostUnoputts, on 16 May 2018 - 09:16 PM, said:

View PostBack9, on 16 May 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

Looking at the recently completed listings for that putter it does look like there was one putter sold twice on 5/9, once for $182.50 and again for $349.99.  It was also sold on 4/24 for $167 and didn't sell on a 4/17 listing with starting bid at $167.  Pics are identical and it is the same seller.

Interestingly, there is a note on the $182.50 auction that says (I blocked out the name of the bidder):


Deadbeat non paying bidder *********** last time, don't bid again this time
Listing info
Page views: 320 High bidder ID: ************(183 Posted Image) 100% Duration: 7 days Start time: Apr 17, 2018 16:55:45 PDT Start price:
US $167.00


Weird stuff.
thanks for the research. I was the one who paid 182. Had my price wrong in original post. How many bids were on the 349 auction?

Looks like 20 bids by 4 different bidders.  You can find this under advanced search (upper right hand corner of ebay screen).  Just put in item description and choose "completed listings" and it shows you what matching items have been listed/sold over maybe the last 6 months or so.

14

#15 KCCO

KCCO

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138532
  • Joined: 09/06/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 593

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:06 PM

Fight back? You left negative feedback...and you got your money back. I don’t know sellers business or his situation; sound like a crumb, but having someone (a zero feedback, that even stated in messages she was new to eBay) jump the gun and leave a negative on my wife for not sending item (used jeans) though she wasn’t paid yet. Yes, buyer expected a tracking number without payment, left feedback less than 48 hours after auction ended. I wasted a good 4 hours as I have access to wifes account with eBay rep even agreeing, but would not remove, did nothing. Was years ago, so gone now, but 600 positive and no negatives, you can really hammer seller with a negative. Seller has no leg to stand on, so point being must be a really serious issue for me to go there (negative feedback), plus refunded you immediately, I would have left at that and not dealt with them any longer.

Titleist 917 D3   Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2   Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2   Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58    MCI-100 black
009 ProV1


15

#16 rex235

rex235

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,795 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Joined: 10/01/2009
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 1944

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:36 PM

Uno-

True story....

Won auction for golf club....Got DEWALT Power drill and case from seller....

?

Seller calls 24 hours later, claims mixup on their part, PLEADS for me to forward DEWALT drill and case? to buyer..

Promises club will be delivered, even though they told the  wrong buyer to "keep the club"...  

Month goes by....

Get Ebay and Paypal involved... 2 weeks go by.

Seller actually had the gall to finally inform me "the club was kept by the buyer of the DEWALT Drill and case?, and now he was unable to get the club because the buyer of the DEWALT Drill? had left the country..."    Seller  wanted to know if there was anything else I wanted, and "promised again to make it right."

Got $$ back...eventually.    Never heard from them.

In retrospect, perhaps I should have kept the DEWALT drill...and the case....

Seller is from Cartersville, GA, and was booted off EBay due to similar problems, but may be back under a different name now...

So if anyone....in one of their golf trips outside the country...ever sees a LH Tommy Armour Tourney Custom 985 1 iron ...  

16

#17 Unoputts

Unoputts

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484402
  • Joined: 10/15/2017
  • Location:Seattle
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:28 AM

View PostBack9, on 16 May 2018 - 09:23 PM, said:

View PostUnoputts, on 16 May 2018 - 09:16 PM, said:

View PostBack9, on 16 May 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

Looking at the recently completed listings for that putter it does look like there was one putter sold twice on 5/9, once for $182.50 and again for $349.99.  It was also sold on 4/24 for $167 and didn't sell on a 4/17 listing with starting bid at $167.  Pics are identical and it is the same seller.

Interestingly, there is a note on the $182.50 auction that says (I blocked out the name of the bidder):


Deadbeat non paying bidder *********** last time, don't bid again this time                                        
                    Listing info
                                                        Page views:                            320                                            High bidder ID:                            ************(183 Posted Image) 100%                                            Duration:                            7 days                                            Start time:                            Apr 17, 2018 16:55:45 PDT                                            Start price:                            
US $167.00                        


Weird stuff.
thanks for the research. I was the one who paid 182. Had my price wrong in original post. How many bids were on the 349 auction?

Looks like 20 bids by 4 different bidders.  You can find this under advanced search (upper right hand corner of ebay screen).  Just put in item description and choose "completed listings" and it shows you what matching items have been listed/sold over maybe the last 6 months or so.
thanks. I usually use the app so I did not know about that search option.

View PostBowlorgolf, on 16 May 2018 - 08:39 PM, said:

One thing that I found that has helped you is to ask the seller to send additional pics at a different angle or view that may hint at them not actually having the item. Gives a better clue of the real condition. Did this for Toulon and the putter was in better shape than their posting showed because it was a mark on the putter that cleaned right off.
I agree that asking for extra pics is a good way to see if seller is a fraud. I also found that same seller had the putter on sale via Facebook. Not the smartest dude for sure.

Edited by Unoputts, 17 May 2018 - 08:32 AM.


17



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors