Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Lie Angle Changes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 csn99

csn99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 355037
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

So I finally decided to get my lie angles changed today. I had always thought they should be 1 degree flat, however after today I learned that they should be 2 degree flat. How much of difference do you guys think I will notice with the correct lie angles?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Awainer1

Awainer1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379692
  • Ebay ID:Awainer1
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:26 PM

how did you learn that they should be 2 flat?  Did you hit a club thats "2 flat"? JW

#3 csn99

csn99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

View PostAwainer1, on 15 May 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

how did you learn that they should be 2 flat?  Did you hit a club thats "2 flat"? JW

Lie board and trackman

#4 Dunny51

Dunny51

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450288
  • Handicap:16
  • Ebay ID:Dunny5151
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:45 PM

What is your miss with your current setup at 1* flat?

#5 Gilbertc13

Gilbertc13

Mizuno Staff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483186
  • Handicap:+1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:50 PM

View Postcsn99, on 15 May 2018 - 05:55 PM, said:

So I finally decided to get my lie angles changed today. I had always thought they should be 1 degree flat, however after today I learned that they should be 2 degree flat. How much of difference do you guys think I will notice with the correct lie angles?

All things being equal, strike, SS, face angle, path etc... it will equate to a 7 yard change. It’ll be 7 yards more right if your RH or 7 yards more left if LH

#6 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 6611

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:04 AM

Depends on a lot of factors but 1* change in lie angle is generally more like 2-3 yards.

#7 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
GolfWRX Likes : 721

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:03 AM

Assuming you could hold your posture the same with every golf swing, wear a pair of golf shoes with thicker sole ( more spike height )....) you'll change that 1° difference......I kid, I kid.

Seriously, 1° in lie angle is not going to effect 99.9% of the golfers out there.  Taking into consideration the turf condition ( where you won't be standing on a solid flat surface as on indoor golf mat ), the human suspension connecting to the human brain will make that much an adjustment without you consciously knowing.

The 1° in measured lie angle is well withing the tolerance together with all the other elements in a golf swing performed by the human golfer.  I could see the impact will be more noticeable with variances of at least several degrees in the lie angle but 1° ?

We are not " Iron Byron" .  We are better !

Edited by wkuo3, 16 May 2018 - 08:04 AM.

#8 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 21,754 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:24 AM

View Postwkuo3, on 16 May 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

Well, we are certainly more entertaining to watch :-)

#9 csn99

csn99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

View PostDunny51, on 15 May 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

What is your miss with your current setup at 1* flat?

So my irons are actually standard right now and my miss is a big pull draw. Based of the online lie charts using wrist to the floor and height, I thought my irons should be 1 degree flat. However when I got them checked I actually need my irons 2 degrees flat.

#10 csn99

csn99

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

Assuming you could hold your posture the same with every golf swing, wear a pair of golf shoes with thicker sole ( more spike height )....) you'll change that 1° difference......I kid, I kid.

Seriously, 1° in lie angle is not going to effect 99.9% of the golfers out there.  Taking into consideration the turf condition ( where you won't be standing on a solid flat surface as on indoor golf mat ), the human suspension connecting to the human brain will make that much an adjustment without you consciously knowing.

The 1° in measured lie angle is well withing the tolerance together with all the other elements in a golf swing performed by the human golfer.  I could see the impact will be more noticeable with variances of at least several degrees in the lie angle but 1° ?

My irons are actually standard right now. So there will be a 2 degree lie change. Based of online charts I always thought they should be 1 degree flat but when I got them checked it turns out they need to be 2 degree flat.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
GolfWRX Likes : 721

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:06 PM

View Postcsn99, on 16 May 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

My irons are actually standard right now. So there will be a 2 degree lie change. Based of online charts I always thought they should be 1 degree flat but when I got them checked it turns out they need to be 2 degree flat.

At 2° lie difference, there could be an impact in your ball striking.

As we should always focused on the end result, how does the ball flight suit you ?  The numbers are heavily depending who measured it, how it was measured and if the measurement was based on something stays constant ( most of the time , anyway ).

If the result of your ball striking was good, why worry about the lie angle on the golf club ?    Maybe more than 3 decades ago. I noticed that the divot from my irons pointing to the left a little.  That, worried me to death.  My mentor at the time asked me how was the ball flight , and was it where I expected it to be ........ really set my minds to easy.

One thing I did encounter throughout the years is, if there is a need for lie adjustment of the golf clubs, it'll magnify in the longer golf clubs.  It might not be as significantly important in the shorter irons but the need for adjustment would be very clear in the mid to long irons.

Also the sole grind of the iron is another important aspect golfer often ignored, in my opinion is more important than the variation of a couple of degrees in  lie angle.
Please see the Forum report on Dufner.  
http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

#12 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 21,754 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:13 AM

View Postwkuo3, on 16 May 2018 - 06:06 PM, said:

One thing I did encounter throughout the years is, if there is a need for lie adjustment of the golf clubs, it'll magnify in the longer golf clubs.  It might not be as significantly important in the shorter irons but the need for adjustment would be very clear in the mid to long irons.

It might be true for some, but it's not inherently true.   Mostly it's just the normal inconsistencies are bigger in the longer clubs that people like to blame the lie angles on.  The actual distance offline for a given lie angle deviation doesn't really inherently change very much over the whole set.

Edited by Stuart G., 17 May 2018 - 04:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors