Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Pebble Beach Vacation

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 STL4141

STL4141

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257546
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:33 PM

Hello Everyone-

Thanks in advance for all the feedback and thoughts.

My wife and I are going to Pebble Beach with another couple. I would love any recommendations you can give.  Below are a few of the questions I have.
  • Only the husbands are playing golf.  We are playing Spyglass, Spanish Bay and Pebble.  Should we walk all 3 courses with a caddie?  Everything I have read says you get a much better experience walking the golf courses.
  • Where are the best places to eat dinner?
  • What other activities do you recommend on the trip?
Again, I welcome all recommendations.

Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Roody

Roody

You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63452
  • Handicap:8.9
GolfWRX Likes : 558

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:49 PM

I was there with my wife in 2013. I played Pebble twice, Spyglass once, and I skipped Spanish Bay. My thoughts:

- For one of the Pebble rounds I took a caddie (wife went to the spa), for the other I took cart (wife played with me). I really enjoyed both rounds, but I think I enjoyed walking with the caddie more. (that's not a dig on the wife, just that I recommend the caddie)
- When I played Spyglass we took cart, and my wife rode along and took pictures (didn't play).
- If I could do it all over again, I'd play Spyglass twice and Pebble once
- If you can afford the caddie for all your rounds, I say why not? I would at least get one for Pebble.

We ate at the restaurant right at the main Pebble Beach lodge, which was very nice (the name escapes me at the moment). Also made sure to have lunch in The Tap Room. We also headed over to Clint Eastwood's old restaurant called The Hog's Breath Inn in Carmel.

As for other activities, there's plenty of hiking nearby (we did Point Lobos). We also really enjoyed sitting out by the firepits at Spanish Bay and watching the sun set over the ocean.
Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
Odyssey Black Series #7
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges

#3 STL4141

STL4141

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:58 PM

This is great info!  Thanks for your response!

#4 duffer987

duffer987

Wears trousers.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:8.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5356

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:59 PM

Not a local, but did live in the Bay Area for 5 years and would pop down a couple times a year to play in Monterey (not necessarily PB all the time though):

1. Definitely walk Pebble, take a caddie and hope you get a good one. The other two, most will get carts, so I'd just do that. They are not Pebble/Pinehurst #2/Old Course, they're just resort courses so I don't think you are really missing anything by not walking them.
While you are there, if you could fit in Poppy Hills that'd be cool. I'd put it above Spy and Spanish and that's a good course to walk also.

2. Drive down to Big Sur and back, stop at a few beaches/trails along the way, as mentioned above Point Lobos park is right there.

3. Passionfish in Pacific Grove. Bistro Moulin in Monterey.

Edited by duffer987, 15 May 2018 - 04:00 PM.

WITB | Courses Played list | How to leave feedback

"I don't agree 100% with your analysis.  Yes, it's nice to hole out, which I did twice during last weeks game, but didn't need either to win those holes or the match.   All that was needed was a tap in to win each hole.  Of course, I was aiming from 20yds and 15yds with the intent to put the ball in the hole, but the expectation was tap-ins." PT

#5 STL4141

STL4141

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:38 PM

Interesting, thanks!  I might look at canceling Spanish bay and playing Poppy Hills!

#6 Clambake

Clambake

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94215
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 313

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

Absolutely walk Pebble and take a caddie.  A cart is more a hinderance than an aid at PB since it is cart path only and the paths are located well away from the fairways, so one ends up walking almost just as much, with a lot more hassle. The caddies are usually pretty good and enhance the experience, and that stroll down the 18th fairway with a caddie lugging your bag, feeling like a tour pro, is absolutely worth it.  

Be prepared that the caddie will double bag with your buddy; solo caddies just don't really happen there unless you're playing as a single. But they're very good at it and you'll still get plenty of special attention.  It also helps increase the odds of getting a more experienced caddie, as they tend to assign the more junior ones to people playing as a single. Once I stopped by the pro shop the day before my round and asked if they could do me the favor of getting me an older, grizzled caddie, like someone right out of central casting. The guy behind the desk laughed and said he knew exactly what I meant, and sure enough the next day had an older guy who was outstanding, with a great sarcastic sense of humor, excellent knowledge of the course, and fun stories about past players and residents.

Spyglass is fairly hilly, but I'd also walk it, and taking a caddie is nice but not really needed. If you don't mind the cost, it certainly makes the round easier and adds to the special feel.  Again, if you take a cart you end up walking almost as much anyway. Another reason I'd walk Spy is that to me, it is the most sensuous courses I've ever played, and walking only enhances that feeling, especially if you're lucky and the sun is out.  The way the shadows dance across the fairways, combined with the ever-present smell of the sea air, the sounds of sea lions barking in the distance and the wind whispering through the trees, birds chirping everywhere, the sight of deer bounding across a fairway, and the constant feeling of slight slopes under your feet as you walk...they all combine to engage all your senses, not just those focused on golf. Spy is truly magical in the late afternoon when the light is getting golden and the shadows long.  

I don't care much for Spanish Bay, but some love it. To me it tries too hard to be like a British Isles links course but misses the mark, and doesn't have the greens typical of a links design, so you want to play like a links course but it really requires a more typical American hit-it-high type of game. If you do play there, I wouldn't bother with a caddie. Not much hidden there, and it makes a good warm up round. Speaking of warm up, Spanish Bay doesn't have its own range, so you need to go up the hill to Spyglass which is closest to use their range first if you need it.

I like Poppy, both before and after the remodel, but I wouldn't place it above Spyglass.  The course design and conditioning is nice, but I just like Spy a little better, especially because of its sensuous nature (more so than Poppy).  Poppy is fully up in the forest and is lovely, but doesn't have views. While much of Spy is also in the forest, the first holes wander down the hill towards the water, then back up the hill into the trees, offering more design variety and different flow through the round.

If you're staying at either the Inn or the Lodge, they have handy shuttle that runs between the properties. It's nice to go to one of the other restaurants and enjoy adult beverages without having to worry about driving back on the twisty roads in the dark.  One can also take a shuttle into Carmel which is nice for the wives if they don't want to deal with Carmel's notorious parking problems.  And although the shuttle is convenient, I always use my own car to get around for golf as parking is plentiful at all the courses. First time I played Spanish Bay I warmed up at the range at Spyglass and then had to wait 15 minute for the shuttle back, which kind of negated the purpose of the warm up.

For food at the resorts, Tap Room is fun for the history and it's often a good spot to run into a celeb or two.  One time I was there I ran into Condoleezza Rice while walking in and Roger Maltby was holding court at a big table in the middle, going through a bunch of wine bottles with a few couples (and all the wives were stunning). The food there is good but not spectacular, and I'd do it for lunch but wouldn't bother with dinner there. They do have a very proper, well stocked bar, though.  Stillwater has pretty good food, and is nice upscale spot for dining if you don't want to into Carmel or Monterey.  The Bench at the Lodge has become "the" spot for casual fare and drinks after a round at Pebble, served outside overlooking the 18th green.  Over at the Inn at Spanish Bay, Roy's has pretty good Asian fusion food, but Roy's is a pretty big chain so if you're familiar with them on Hawaii or other locations it isn't that different. Peppoli's has very good Italian food, but the two times I've been there the service has been lacking.

I also like Passionfish.  For other dining, I'd highly recommend Casanova in Carmel. It's one of our favorite restaurants anywhere. If you're into wine, ask the sommelier if you can get a tour of their cellar, and if he isn't too busy he'll gladly take you down. It was hand dug over years under the restaurant, extremely well stocked, and just feels like one of most interesting cellars you'll ever visit. The food is casual French, really good, with outstanding service (at least it has been every time I've been), and the interior is very quaint and romantic. Another nice thing is they have a large selection of very good wine half bottles, so it is easy to come up with interesting wine pairings for every course.

And I completely agree with the prior posts about driving around Big Sur and going to Point Lobos. Stunning scenery. Absolutely stunning.  A nice lunch destination a bit over an hour south of Pebble in Big Sur is Sierra Mar, the restaurant at the Post Ranch Inn. Outstanding place, perched up high on the bluffs with amazing views of the coast line. Makes for a nice excursion to leisurely drive down the coast, stopping a few times to enjoy the sights, the relax with great food at the Post Ranch Inn, and either go further south or just return.  I've always wanted to stay there, but at well over $1000 a night for a room that's never going to happen, but it's neat to eat there and experience a bit of it.   Nepenthe is also a good lunch place, not quite as dramatic setting, and the food is pretty good but not up to the Post Ranch. But it is sort of a quintessential Big Sur experience, sort of bohemian, new age and quirky, with an interesting shop next door.

Damn, man, just typing this stuff has me wanting to get back there right away!!!

Edited by Clambake, 15 May 2018 - 07:50 PM.

#7 toddnt

toddnt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8488
GolfWRX Likes : 898

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:53 PM

Poppy is definitely worth a play.. Walk it as well, its always cartpath only!

#8 STL4141

STL4141

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:25 PM

Clambake, thanks for all the info!  If you really want to come back we will be there aug 31 - sept 5th...  drinks on me!

#9 MichaelJScott

MichaelJScott

SchruteFarms

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 448352
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:44 PM

walk all the courses. poppy is awesome but just below in spanish in my opinion. La creme in pacific grove has an amazing breakfast. Del monte is in great shape right now so if you have time for one more round I would try and squeeze in a round there.

#10 aloha b.

aloha b.

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 368495
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:51 PM

Message sent

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 jwest68

jwest68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489770
  • Handicap:11

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

The local muni course in Pacific Grove is a fun little track as well.  Like $45 or something per round.  The front 9 is inland with lots of deer running around, and the back 9 is pretty much right on the water for the most part.  The back 9 was designed the by the same guy as Pebble Beach I THINK.  

As far as food,  THE WHALING STATION in Monterey is awesome!!!    My wife and  I got married at Pebble back in 2011, and every time we go back this place is a must.  A little pricey, but definitely worth it.

#12 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
GolfWRX Likes : 1026

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:14 PM

Clambake nailed it.  Casanova's is where my brother-in-law asked my sister to be married. Very romantic place.  Just wanted to add a lil bit here and there.  Just walking around downtown Carmel is fun, exploring and shopping, the wives will love it.  

You can take a pic of Clint Eastwood's old place, The Hog's Breath Inn.  He now hangs out at Mission Ranch in Carmel. Nice place to eat and have drinks.  Not uncommon for him to stroll in and hang out with people.  If you have an extra day, explore Big Sur and Point Lobos Reserve.  We like to drive into PLR and go to the extreme far left and park you car at the last parking lot on the left.  There are hiking trails to China Beach ((stairs were damaged so access might be blocked off) and Gibson Beach. A really nice "private" feeling walking on Gibson Beach.  Very NorCal.  Now on to Big Sur.  Absolutely my fave in the state.  Lunch at Sierra Mar at Post Ranch Inn is exceptional as Clambake said.  Nepenthe is nice for drinks and a lot more casual.  I also love Big Sur Bakery for coffee and pastries.  Nice quaint place. The Big Sur Roadhouse Grill is a couple years old so fairly new but a great place for good eats.  

Try to go to Pfeiffer Beach.  An amazing beach with areas of purple sand.  And a rock with a square doorway in it due to the pounding surf.  Just getting there is an adventure.  It's unmarked off HWY 1 but just go to yelp and you'll find out the markers to get to the beach. I love Big Sur!!

#13 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
GolfWRX Likes : 1026

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:29 PM

IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG

This picture is not of the rock at Pfeiffer Beach but it is very similar.  This is at a beach in Santa Cruz. I'll try to post more pics of Big Sur and Pfeiffer Beach later.  It's on my other phone and I'll try to post them here

#14 STL4141

STL4141

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:44 AM

You guys are awesome!  Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  

Can't wait to get there!

#15 North Texas

North Texas

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
GolfWRX Likes : 2030

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:29 AM

Clambake and sharkiesj are absolutely spot on! Been to Pebble twice and did pretty much did all they suggested.

And I would second, and third, the recommendation to ditch Spanish Bay. Go play Pasatiempo instead. It is well worth it.

I'll say it again. Go play Pasatiempo!

#16 RSinSG

RSinSG

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300931
  • Handicap:6.7
  • Ebay ID:RSinPS
GolfWRX Likes : 1740

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:52 AM

Old Fisherman’s Grotto on the Monterey Wharf. Best clam chowder and marinated artichokes. Actually , everything is good there and walking the wharf is fun.

Edited by RSinSG, 16 May 2018 - 08:53 AM.

Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
Ping G30 3 wood
Ben Hogan VTKR 17* and 21* hybrid
Ping G30 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
Ping Glide 58* LW
Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or) Scotty Cameron Fastback
Gamegolf
https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

#17 aloha b.

aloha b.

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:57 AM

Some really good ideas have been posted. You're going at a really good time of year as the weather is usually really good.

Edited by aloha b., 16 May 2018 - 11:06 AM.

#18 aloha b.

aloha b.

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

I take it that you're staying at one of the Pebble properties and if so then you probably have your golf reservations made.

For those of you that are going to Pebble in the future and if there's at least two golfing you may want to consider joining Duke's Club through Del Monte Golf Course for $360 per year.
Normal price for Spyglass is $395 and Duke's price is $225, Spanish Bay is $290 and Duke's price is $165 and the normal price for 2 = $1,370 for normal price and Duke's price for two would be $940 a savings of $430. The only thing is that you can only make a reservation 30 days in advance. With Duke's you also get a free round at Del Monte for you and a guest, 25% off of merchandise at Del Monte Golf Course including custom orders for golf equipment, 20% off at Pebble Beach property restaurants including drinks up to 8 people. Twice a year there's a Duke's Club special which usually includes Pebble Beach golf for ~ $385 and Spyglass and Spanish Bay with rates cheaper than the normal Duke's Club prices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors