Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

TM Spider distance control issues on lags... New insert? New Putter? Ideas please.


  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Joined: 04/05/2014
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

So for about the last year I've been gaming a Red Spider Tour Slant putter.  In that time I have made more birdies than I can ever remember and from 3-20 ft. the putter is outstanding.  The issue I'm having, and I have been having is lag putts.  I'm having difficulty with distance control on longer putts, missing mostly long.  I will say however I have made more long bombs than ever with the spider probably because I'm missing long when I miss as opposed to cozying it up there..

So my question is for guys who have had similar issues, and I have heard this is the case, what did you switch to?  Or if you swapped inserts how did it go and what did you switch to?  I am a tinkerer and I'm tempted to try and replace the pure roll insert with a metal insert because I love the putter.  I rarely miss my line and most misses are edge burners.  But last tourney I gave up 3 strokes to lag 3 putts and that's just unacceptable.  Obviously practicing lags more will help, but for me the spider is just not intuitive at longer distance and that's something I've never really had a problem with.

What I really want is a milled Spider, distance control with non inserts has always been better for me than any insert.  My perfect putter would be a milled spider with the old Rife style grooved face.. But, that doesn't exist.

I rolled both versions of the Toulon Portland and was impressed, I like the look of some of the slant odyssey mallets but I'm unconvinced regarding the microhinge insert...

I'm interested in any suggestions and ideas you guys have, especially regarding face work on the spider.  I'm familiar with Spry Evo, is there anybody else that does work like that?

You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 milos

milos

    ms1

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15709
  • Joined: 06/25/2006
  • Location:Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:57 PM

Kind of hard to offer any suggestions as the Spider is the best putter I have ever had and like you, I have seen stunning results with it but for me also include my longer lengths. My only thought is to maybe try the Black which is what I have and see if you see any change. My lag putts are better with the Spider than any of the other putters I have had and I wouldn't change anything. If there are factors causing the lag control due to the face or you just don't like the putter then maybe there are better putters but for many, it is very, very good as is and I wouldn't tamper with something with so much proven success.  Having said that I tried an Evnroll (https://evnroll.com/er5-hatchback.html) a few weeks back and it felt brilliant and meets much of the criteria your looking for. No a slant neck, unfortunately :-(

But would I swap from the Spider to it? No way.

Edited by milos, 15 May 2018 - 05:21 PM.


2

#3 OspreyCI

OspreyCI

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108024
  • Joined: 05/15/2010
  • Location:Valley of the Sun
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 534

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:16 PM

I have owned the Red and the Black and used both for extended times. I had the same issues and the distance control killed me.

I went with a non insert face and already feel a difference in speed control. Playing my first round with my non insert putter this weekend. We shall see.

I have owned every Spider released and the Spider Tour inserts have given me the most fits. Not sure why...
PING G400 MAX 9* Tour 65
TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
TM M3 4 Iron Atmos
TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
TM MG 54*
TM HI TOE 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainess Newport

3

#4 maverick

maverick

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 671
  • Joined: 05/13/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 532

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:40 PM

View PostOspreyCI, on 15 May 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

I have owned the Red and the Black and used both for extended times. I had the same issues and the distance control killed me.

I went with a non insert face and already feel a difference in speed control. Playing my first round with my non insert putter this weekend. We shall see.

I have owned every Spider released and the Spider Tour inserts have given me the most fits. Not sure why...

I had the exact same issues.

4

#5 Hack Daddy

Hack Daddy

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129742
  • Joined: 05/29/2011
  • Location:Tijuana River Valley
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

1. Cnc Aluminum insert from Spryevo.
2. Counterweight grip.

Nike Vapor Pro Matrix Red Tie 8q3 strong
Nike VR Pro 24* Matrix Black Tie hM3 105 Strong
Nike VR Pro Blades Matrix Program 130 Strong
Cobra Tour Trusty 52/56/60/64 Matrix Program 130
Nike B1-01 Black pearl shaft, Cork Tree Pistol

5

#6 TommyOC

TommyOC

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136145
  • Joined: 08/12/2011
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

Literally the same issue. Never made so many bombs in my life but also never had so many problems with distance control. A few times a round the ball just explodes off the face and leaves me shaking my head. Not only lag putt but short putts too.

Picked up a Milled faced putter to see if I can figure it out. Stuck with a mallet though. This was the first insert putter I’ve used in awhile so hoping that’s the issue.
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9* Project X Even Flow Black Handcrafted 6.5
Callaway Rogue 15* 3 wood Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted 6.0
Callaway Epic 18* 5 wood Aldila Tour Green
Callaway Rogue 19* 3 Hybrid Hzrdus Black Handcrafted 6.0
TaylorMade P790 4 - PW Oban CT 115
Miura Hand Ground 52*, 58* Tour Issue s400

Putters:
Toulon Memphis Garage
Scott Readman Concepts Custom Putter

6

#7 jll62

jll62

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9627
  • Joined: 01/10/2006
  • Location:Minneapolis
  • Handicap:+4.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1063

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:24 PM

Experiment with different weights. I've been putting with one of these for almost as long as anyone (besides JDay...ha!) and it's been my experience that many of the distance control issues people see can be quickly resolved with a different weight setup.
TaylorMade M2 9.5 (2017), Graphite Design Tour AD-GP 6s
TaylorMade V-Steel 13, Graphite Design Purple Ice 85X
TaylorMade UDI 2, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X
TaylorMade P-770 3-4, KBS C-Taper 120 S
TaylorMade RSi TP 5-PW, KBS C-Taper 125 S+
TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60 (58), DG S400
TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x

jll62's WITB

jll62 on Instagram

7

#8 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Joined: 04/05/2014
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:19 AM

View PostHack Daddy, on 15 May 2018 - 06:47 PM, said:

1. Cnc Aluminum insert from Spryevo.
2. Counterweight grip.

Counterweighting takes feel out of the hands, it's a good option for those who have started to lose, or have lost their touch but that's not my issue.

I played today and put my Rife Aruba in the bag, I have lead tape on the sole and I forget the exact weight but I know it's about 5-6g total less than the Spider which balances out at d4, the Aruba is D1.5.

I played well, made putts, shot a great score... However the toe on the Aruba wants to slam shut on me and if I don't successfully fend it off through impact I pull putts,  It makes it especially hard on R-L breakers this is why I went away from it in the 1st place.  Distance control was better, I made all the short putts but it wasn't as automatic as with the Spider...  Confidence on downhillers was way higher than with the spider...

The Spider has about 1/2 of the toe hang the Aruba does so I might fish around for a flow neck blade or small mallet to mess with... I rolled the Toulon Portland both the plumbers and the flow and they felt great...  But I love the classic Anser/Newport style and I honestly do like the look of the Spider as big as it is, it's one of the few mallets that appeals to my eye..

Face Balanced putters, I feel like it's fighting my stroke, resisting the flow.

The Aruba wants to rotate too much.. It looks like 45 deg. of hang which is SOP for plumbers neck Anser style putters...  I can use it, and putt well with it, but I def. have to compensate which gets a bit unnerving especially on those 5 footers that need some pace.

The Spider toe hang is less than the Aruba, TM says 32 degrees and the flow feels perfect..  Gonna start looking in that 30-35 degree toe hang range..

Edited by Hubijerk, 16 May 2018 - 05:26 AM.

You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

8

#9 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Joined: 04/05/2014
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:24 AM

View Postjll62, on 15 May 2018 - 11:24 PM, said:

Experiment with different weights. I've been putting with one of these for almost as long as anyone (besides JDay...ha!) and it's been my experience that many of the distance control issues people see can be quickly resolved with a different weight setup.

Did you go heavier or lighter?  Do you know what the current weight is and how heavy the  weights are?  I'm guessing the spider is 355ish based on feel compared to my Aruba... I'll experiment, but it feels like the ball comes off hotter/springier with more rebound from the insert... Not an issue with shorter putts but it seems to increase exponentially with longer putts... Has anybody taken the face off?  What's behind the insert? Foam? Elastomer?

I remember getting a Scotty studio style when I was in college... I distinctly remember having serious distance control issues with that as well, and that was steel on elastomer I think.
You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

9

#10 jll62

jll62

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9627
  • Joined: 01/10/2006
  • Location:Minneapolis
  • Handicap:+4.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1063

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:18 AM

View PostHubijerk, on 16 May 2018 - 05:24 AM, said:

View Postjll62, on 15 May 2018 - 11:24 PM, said:

Experiment with different weights. I've been putting with one of these for almost as long as anyone (besides JDay...ha!) and it's been my experience that many of the distance control issues people see can be quickly resolved with a different weight setup.

Did you go heavier or lighter?  Do you know what the current weight is and how heavy the  weights are?  I'm guessing the spider is 355ish based on feel compared to my Aruba... I'll experiment, but it feels like the ball comes off hotter/springier with more rebound from the insert... Not an issue with shorter putts but it seems to increase exponentially with longer putts... Has anybody taken the face off?  What's behind the insert? Foam? Elastomer?

I remember getting a Scotty studio style when I was in college... I distinctly remember having serious distance control issues with that as well, and that was steel on elastomer I think.

I believe the stock head weight is 355g. I went slightly heavier and replaced the 2g weights with 6g weights in my JDay proto. I'm now using 4g weights and it's perfect for the green speeds we're playing at the moment. I could be back to 6g weights mid-summer, however.

This is one of those topics on WRX that makes me laugh. The best players in the world are using this putter with these inserts and they're not having distance control issues. But tons of folks here think the ball springs off the face, or believe a small layer of double sided tape between the insert and the body will make the ball react differently. That's not it. The ball will have a different sound at impact, translating to a different feel, which is going to give you the perception of different performance. These inserts are not springy. If anything, they dampen the collision and absorb energy which would deaden the putt a touch.

Get the weight right by trying different weights during distance control drills and the problem will be solved. I've been through this. I had distance control issues with the Spider until I got the right weights. And if I'm wrong, then get a different putter because, outside of 10 feet, it doesn't matter how often you roll the ball on your intended line. Distance control is everything

TaylorMade M2 9.5 (2017), Graphite Design Tour AD-GP 6s
TaylorMade V-Steel 13, Graphite Design Purple Ice 85X
TaylorMade UDI 2, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X
TaylorMade P-770 3-4, KBS C-Taper 120 S
TaylorMade RSi TP 5-PW, KBS C-Taper 125 S+
TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60 (58), DG S400
TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x

jll62's WITB

jll62 on Instagram

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 OspreyCI

OspreyCI

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108024
  • Joined: 05/15/2010
  • Location:Valley of the Sun
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 534

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:07 AM

All I know is my first practice session with my Milled putter is so much better FOR ME.

No more inserts FOR ME. The feel is just butter too.
PING G400 MAX 9* Tour 65
TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
TM M3 4 Iron Atmos
TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
TM MG 54*
TM HI TOE 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainess Newport

11

#12 TommyOC

TommyOC

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136145
  • Joined: 08/12/2011
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:27 AM

View Postjll62, on 16 May 2018 - 07:18 AM, said:

View PostHubijerk, on 16 May 2018 - 05:24 AM, said:

View Postjll62, on 15 May 2018 - 11:24 PM, said:

Experiment with different weights. I've been putting with one of these for almost as long as anyone (besides JDay...ha!) and it's been my experience that many of the distance control issues people see can be quickly resolved with a different weight setup.

Did you go heavier or lighter?  Do you know what the current weight is and how heavy the  weights are?  I'm guessing the spider is 355ish based on feel compared to my Aruba... I'll experiment, but it feels like the ball comes off hotter/springier with more rebound from the insert... Not an issue with shorter putts but it seems to increase exponentially with longer putts... Has anybody taken the face off?  What's behind the insert? Foam? Elastomer?

I remember getting a Scotty studio style when I was in college... I distinctly remember having serious distance control issues with that as well, and that was steel on elastomer I think.

I believe the stock head weight is 355g. I went slightly heavier and replaced the 2g weights with 6g weights in my JDay proto. I'm now using 4g weights and it's perfect for the green speeds we're playing at the moment. I could be back to 6g weights mid-summer, however.

This is one of those topics on WRX that makes me laugh. The best players in the world are using this putter with these inserts and they're not having distance control issues. But tons of folks here think the ball springs off the face, or believe a small layer of double sided tape between the insert and the body will make the ball react differently. That's not it. The ball will have a different sound at impact, translating to a different feel, which is going to give you the perception of different performance. These inserts are not springy. If anything, they dampen the collision and absorb energy which would deaden the putt a touch.

Get the weight right by trying different weights during distance control drills and the problem will be solved. I've been through this. I had distance control issues with the Spider until I got the right weights. And if I'm wrong, then get a different putter because, outside of 10 feet, it doesn't matter how often you roll the ball on your intended line. Distance control is everything

It's probably because they hit the same exact spot on the club face 99% of the time.  For someone like myself, I do about 25% ;)
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9* Project X Even Flow Black Handcrafted 6.5
Callaway Rogue 15* 3 wood Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted 6.0
Callaway Epic 18* 5 wood Aldila Tour Green
Callaway Rogue 19* 3 Hybrid Hzrdus Black Handcrafted 6.0
TaylorMade P790 4 - PW Oban CT 115
Miura Hand Ground 52*, 58* Tour Issue s400

Putters:
Toulon Memphis Garage
Scott Readman Concepts Custom Putter

12

#13 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Joined: 04/05/2014
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:51 PM

View Postjll62, on 16 May 2018 - 07:18 AM, said:

View PostHubijerk, on 16 May 2018 - 05:24 AM, said:

View Postjll62, on 15 May 2018 - 11:24 PM, said:

Experiment with different weights. I've been putting with one of these for almost as long as anyone (besides JDay...ha!) and it's been my experience that many of the distance control issues people see can be quickly resolved with a different weight setup.

Did you go heavier or lighter?  Do you know what the current weight is and how heavy the  weights are?  I'm guessing the spider is 355ish based on feel compared to my Aruba... I'll experiment, but it feels like the ball comes off hotter/springier with more rebound from the insert... Not an issue with shorter putts but it seems to increase exponentially with longer putts... Has anybody taken the face off?  What's behind the insert? Foam? Elastomer?

I remember getting a Scotty studio style when I was in college... I distinctly remember having serious distance control issues with that as well, and that was steel on elastomer I think.

I believe the stock head weight is 355g. I went slightly heavier and replaced the 2g weights with 6g weights in my JDay proto. I'm now using 4g weights and it's perfect for the green speeds we're playing at the moment. I could be back to 6g weights mid-summer, however.

This is one of those topics on WRX that makes me laugh. The best players in the world are using this putter with these inserts and they're not having distance control issues. But tons of folks here think the ball springs off the face, or believe a small layer of double sided tape between the insert and the body will make the ball react differently. That's not it. The ball will have a different sound at impact, translating to a different feel, which is going to give you the perception of different performance. These inserts are not springy. If anything, they dampen the collision and absorb energy which would deaden the putt a touch.

Get the weight right by trying different weights during distance control drills and the problem will be solved. I've been through this. I had distance control issues with the Spider until I got the right weights. And if I'm wrong, then get a different putter because, outside of 10 feet, it doesn't matter how often you roll the ball on your intended line. Distance control is everything

Thanks for the advice on the weights, I'm also glad I could amuse you.  And I could not disagree more on line not mattering on putts outside of 10ft.
You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

13

#14 jll62

jll62

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9627
  • Joined: 01/10/2006
  • Location:Minneapolis
  • Handicap:+4.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1063

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:27 PM

View PostHubijerk, on 16 May 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

View Postjll62, on 16 May 2018 - 07:18 AM, said:

View PostHubijerk, on 16 May 2018 - 05:24 AM, said:

View Postjll62, on 15 May 2018 - 11:24 PM, said:

Experiment with different weights. I've been putting with one of these for almost as long as anyone (besides JDay...ha!) and it's been my experience that many of the distance control issues people see can be quickly resolved with a different weight setup.

Did you go heavier or lighter?  Do you know what the current weight is and how heavy the  weights are?  I'm guessing the spider is 355ish based on feel compared to my Aruba... I'll experiment, but it feels like the ball comes off hotter/springier with more rebound from the insert... Not an issue with shorter putts but it seems to increase exponentially with longer putts... Has anybody taken the face off?  What's behind the insert? Foam? Elastomer?

I remember getting a Scotty studio style when I was in college... I distinctly remember having serious distance control issues with that as well, and that was steel on elastomer I think.

I believe the stock head weight is 355g. I went slightly heavier and replaced the 2g weights with 6g weights in my JDay proto. I'm now using 4g weights and it's perfect for the green speeds we're playing at the moment. I could be back to 6g weights mid-summer, however.

This is one of those topics on WRX that makes me laugh. The best players in the world are using this putter with these inserts and they're not having distance control issues. But tons of folks here think the ball springs off the face, or believe a small layer of double sided tape between the insert and the body will make the ball react differently. That's not it. The ball will have a different sound at impact, translating to a different feel, which is going to give you the perception of different performance. These inserts are not springy. If anything, they dampen the collision and absorb energy which would deaden the putt a touch.

Get the weight right by trying different weights during distance control drills and the problem will be solved. I've been through this. I had distance control issues with the Spider until I got the right weights. And if I'm wrong, then get a different putter because, outside of 10 feet, it doesn't matter how often you roll the ball on your intended line. Distance control is everything

Thanks for the advice on the weights, I'm also glad I could amuse you.  And I could not disagree more on line not mattering on putts outside of 10ft.

Perhaps "it doesn't matter" was too strong of a statement. My intent was to say that speed is FAR more important than line outside of 10 feet. Line is obviously still an important factor, but good speed is what determines whether you're inside 3 feet all day and making life easy. This is even more true for putts with a lot of break. Start two balls on the same line but with different speeds and you end up with a lot of dispersion between them.
TaylorMade M2 9.5 (2017), Graphite Design Tour AD-GP 6s
TaylorMade V-Steel 13, Graphite Design Purple Ice 85X
TaylorMade UDI 2, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X
TaylorMade P-770 3-4, KBS C-Taper 120 S
TaylorMade RSi TP 5-PW, KBS C-Taper 125 S+
TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60 (58), DG S400
TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x

jll62's WITB

jll62 on Instagram

14

#15 Hack Daddy

Hack Daddy

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129742
  • Joined: 05/29/2011
  • Location:Tijuana River Valley
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:52 AM

View PostHubijerk, on 16 May 2018 - 01:19 AM, said:

View PostHack Daddy, on 15 May 2018 - 06:47 PM, said:

1. Cnc Aluminum insert from Spryevo.
2. Counterweight grip.

Counterweighting takes feel out of the hands, it's a good option for those who have started to lose, or have lost their touch but that's not my issue.

I played today and put my Rife Aruba in the bag, I have lead tape on the sole and I forget the exact weight but I know it's about 5-6g total less than the Spider which balances out at d4, the Aruba is D1.5.

I played well, made putts, shot a great score... However the toe on the Aruba wants to slam shut on me and if I don't successfully fend it off through impact I pull putts,  It makes it especially hard on R-L breakers this is why I went away from it in the 1st place.  Distance control was better, I made all the short putts but it wasn't as automatic as with the Spider...  Confidence on downhillers was way higher than with the spider...

The Spider has about 1/2 of the toe hang the Aruba does so I might fish around for a flow neck blade or small mallet to mess with... I rolled the Toulon Portland both the plumbers and the flow and they felt great...  But I love the classic Anser/Newport style and I honestly do like the look of the Spider as big as it is, it's one of the few mallets that appeals to my eye..

Face Balanced putters, I feel like it's fighting my stroke, resisting the flow.

The Aruba wants to rotate too much.. It looks like 45 deg. of hang which is SOP for plumbers neck Anser style putters...  I can use it, and putt well with it, but I def. have to compensate which gets a bit unnerving especially on those 5 footers that need some pace.

The Spider toe hang is less than the Aruba, TM says 32 degrees and the flow feels perfect..  Gonna start looking in that 30-35 degree toe hang range..

Have you tried a counterweight grip? Cause if you're saying it's not your problem, without even trying it, is foolish.

I had a daddy long legs. Same issues with distance control. Got a SS with a 75g counterweight and is was perfect... "for me."

Lol

Nike Vapor Pro Matrix Red Tie 8q3 strong
Nike VR Pro 24* Matrix Black Tie hM3 105 Strong
Nike VR Pro Blades Matrix Program 130 Strong
Cobra Tour Trusty 52/56/60/64 Matrix Program 130
Nike B1-01 Black pearl shaft, Cork Tree Pistol

15

#16 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Joined: 04/05/2014
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:59 PM

View PostHack Daddy, on 18 May 2018 - 08:52 AM, said:

View PostHubijerk, on 16 May 2018 - 01:19 AM, said:

View PostHack Daddy, on 15 May 2018 - 06:47 PM, said:

1. Cnc Aluminum insert from Spryevo.
2. Counterweight grip.

Counterweighting takes feel out of the hands, it's a good option for those who have started to lose, or have lost their touch but that's not my issue.

I played today and put my Rife Aruba in the bag, I have lead tape on the sole and I forget the exact weight but I know it's about 5-6g total less than the Spider which balances out at d4, the Aruba is D1.5.

I played well, made putts, shot a great score... However the toe on the Aruba wants to slam shut on me and if I don't successfully fend it off through impact I pull putts,  It makes it especially hard on R-L breakers this is why I went away from it in the 1st place.  Distance control was better, I made all the short putts but it wasn't as automatic as with the Spider...  Confidence on downhillers was way higher than with the spider...

The Spider has about 1/2 of the toe hang the Aruba does so I might fish around for a flow neck blade or small mallet to mess with... I rolled the Toulon Portland both the plumbers and the flow and they felt great...  But I love the classic Anser/Newport style and I honestly do like the look of the Spider as big as it is, it's one of the few mallets that appeals to my eye..

Face Balanced putters, I feel like it's fighting my stroke, resisting the flow.

The Aruba wants to rotate too much.. It looks like 45 deg. of hang which is SOP for plumbers neck Anser style putters...  I can use it, and putt well with it, but I def. have to compensate which gets a bit unnerving especially on those 5 footers that need some pace.

The Spider toe hang is less than the Aruba, TM says 32 degrees and the flow feels perfect..  Gonna start looking in that 30-35 degree toe hang range..

Have you tried a counterweight grip? Cause if you're saying it's not your problem, without even trying it, is foolish.

I had a daddy long legs. Same issues with distance control. Got a SS with a 75g counterweight and is was perfect... "for me."

Lol

I have messed around with counter weighting in one of my old putters in the past, distance control got worse...  I took some time and went and pulled a few different putters that all had about 35 deg. of toe hang... The Toulon Rochester, Betti Studio Stock 8, the TM TP Ardmore and one of the blades I forget if it was the Juno or Soto but it did have less hang... There were a few other putters as well, they all had about 35 of toe hang like the Spider slant and they were all usable though would need some tweaking.

So they all were gameable and felt ok in my hands... The Rochester was the most ready out of the box putter of the bunch, the lie was good and the weight was good, it was the most accurate distance and direction wise but that undoubtedly due to it being my lie angle and preferred weight.  The Betti felt the best but it was too heavy in the head by about 5-10g for my taste.  The Taylormade's were too light, and of course I used a spider for control and it was fine, the others were un-memorable.

So it seems the 35-40 deg. toe hang is what I like so I'll either hunt for or build something similar to the Toulon/Betti's.  It will feel the same in my hands as the Spider and give me a classic no insert option that I seem to have better control with.  Not tossing the Spider... 10ft. and in it's as automatic a putter as I have ever used, however I did put in a long putting session the other day and my Rife Aruba performed just as well on the chalk line, I just had to focus a bit more.

For the time being I'm going to bend and tweak the Aruba to try to shave off some toe hang, I think even 5 deg. would help, but going forward building an Anser/Newport/009 style putter with a slightly longer neck that's positioned slightly towards the center and/or a slightly shorter heel-toe length should give me the hang amount I'm looking for.
You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

16

#17 DHarry

DHarry

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484408
  • Joined: 10/15/2017
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:38 PM

For the record with me, it’s certainly the archer and not the arrow. I had a similar experience with the Spider Tour. It’s the best putter I’ve ever used from 5 feet in but my putting from 20 feet and beyond was appalling. I just couldn’t nail it down. I would usually go long but I would be very short sometimes too.
I initially wasn’t too convinced with the O-Works microhinge but I very quickly got used to it. I am currently using the O-Works slant 2 ball that has a flow neck and had a similar toe hang to the Spider Tour. My lag putting is much better by my standards. If you can, try and get an O-Works 2 Ball S or a 7s out on the course for a few rounds.
Harry

17

#18 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Joined: 04/05/2014
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

View PostDHarry, on 18 May 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

For the record with me, it’s certainly the archer and not the arrow. I had a similar experience with the Spider Tour. It’s the best putter I’ve ever used from 5 feet in but my putting from 20 feet and beyond was appalling. I just couldn’t nail it down. I would usually go long but I would be very short sometimes too.
I initially wasn’t too convinced with the O-Works microhinge but I very quickly got used to it. I am currently using the O-Works slant 2 ball that has a flow neck and had a similar toe hang to the Spider Tour. My lag putting is much better by my standards. If you can, try and get an O-Works 2 Ball S or a 7s out on the course for a few rounds.
Harry

Yeah, my builder/fitter buddy uses one and he's been trying to get me to mess with them..  I will probably give in and roll em, the Jailbird slant looks ok...  The idea of little springy hinges though just gives me some pause.
You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

18

#19 DHarry

DHarry

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484408
  • Joined: 10/15/2017
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:55 PM

View PostHubijerk, on 18 May 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

View PostDHarry, on 18 May 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

For the record with me, it’s certainly the archer and not the arrow. I had a similar experience with the Spider Tour. It’s the best putter I’ve ever used from 5 feet in but my putting from 20 feet and beyond was appalling. I just couldn’t nail it down. I would usually go long but I would be very short sometimes too.
I initially wasn’t too convinced with the O-Works microhinge but I very quickly got used to it. I am currently using the O-Works slant 2 ball that has a flow neck and had a similar toe hang to the Spider Tour. My lag putting is much better by my standards. If you can, try and get an O-Works 2 Ball S or a 7s out on the course for a few rounds.
Harry

Yeah, my builder/fitter buddy uses one and he's been trying to get me to mess with them..  I will probably give in and roll em, the Jailbird slant looks ok...  The idea of little springy hinges though just gives me some pause.

The Jailbird slant is great too and if I am not seriously mistaken, Brandon Grace used it to shoot the first ever 62 in major at the Open Championship last year.
I was somewhat skeptical myself. I preferred the pop off my firmer Odyssey Works Fang but the O-Works Microhinge provides me with a great roll plus the slant neck helps me to release as I follow through. FWIW, I got over the “this feels too soft” mindset very quickly as I was happy with the results that I was getting.

Harry

19

#20 philly2kuk

philly2kuk

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 290123
  • Joined: 01/03/2014
  • Location:Manchester UK
GolfWRX Likes : 155

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:10 AM

Interesting that others have had this issue. I bought a spider tour red in January when the greens were slow and putted like a god with it. I thought this putter would be the one to finally knock my scotty out the bag.

I changed my home course in April to one with much faster greens and suddenly I’m struggling to control the spider. I’m still making the odd long bomb but the ball seems to jump off the face the first foot or so and I’ve no feel for it. When I’ve played other courses with slower greens it’s fine but I’m struggling on faster greens. Even on short putts it just jumps off the face, yet I don’t have this issue with the scotty.

So as a result it’s back out the bag and going on eBay. No good having a putter that I’m not comfortable with on my home course. Plus I’ve never been impressed with the headcover and the paint quality on the putter, so it’s nice not to have to worry about the headcover falling off!

Ping G SF Tec 12°
Ping G 5 wood
Ping G 22° hybrid
Ping G25 4-UW
Cleveland RTX 1.0 (56°) and 2.0 (60°)
Taylormade Spider Tour Red

Remember, there's no pictures on a scorecard, only a number.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Joined: 04/05/2014
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:26 AM

View Postphilly2kuk, on 19 May 2018 - 01:10 AM, said:

Interesting that others have had this issue. I bought a spider tour red in January when the greens were slow and putted like a god with it. I thought this putter would be the one to finally knock my scotty out the bag.

I changed my home course in April to one with much faster greens and suddenly I’m struggling to control the spider. I’m still making the odd long bomb but the ball seems to jump off the face the first foot or so and I’ve no feel for it. When I’ve played other courses with slower greens it’s fine but I’m struggling on faster greens. Even on short putts it just jumps off the face, yet I don’t have this issue with the scotty.

So as a result it’s back out the bag and going on eBay. No good having a putter that I’m not comfortable with on my home course. Plus I’ve never been impressed with the headcover and the paint quality on the putter, so it’s nice not to have to worry about the headcover falling off!

To this I say definitely try adding more weight...  Faster greens need heavier putters... My issue comes on lag putts irregardless of the green speed...  As you're issue started when you went to faster greens I'd say add some lead tape 5g at a time till it feels good and rolls how you want, then you can change the weights.

I plan on adding more weight as well to experiment and see if it helps but to me it sounds like more weight will def. help you out.
You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

21

#22 DNice26

DNice26

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
  • Joined: 08/20/2009
  • Location:New York
GolfWRX Likes : 909

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:06 AM

I had the spider JDay putter as well and had similar long putting distance control issues.  For ME, I think it was likely the softness (resulting sound) of the face insert.  I use the strike sound to help me manage my distance control.  I think I would have been better served with the black version and the harder face insert.
Ping G400 Max 9, Aldila Black 7X
TaylorMade M3 3HL, Tensai Blue 7X
Callaway Apex 20, KK 8X
TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
Ping Tyne, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

22

#23 Meanmachinemoe

Meanmachinemoe

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15279
  • Joined: 06/05/2006
  • Location:Texas
  • Ebay ID:mohler1
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:25 AM

I have had the Tour Black 3 different times. Once stock, once an inch shorter and once with a Super Stroke. I wanted so much to like it. I just love the look. But, I found the exact same thing. Distance control on long putts was awful. I can't explain it.

Edited by Meanmachinemoe, 19 May 2018 - 09:25 AM.

Taylormade 2017 M1 460 10.5* Fujikura Pro XLR8 56
Titleist 818 H2 18* Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei Blue 70
Ping G400 4-UW AWT 2.0
Titleist Vokey Design SM7 54.14F & 58.12D
Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
GHIN 7.4

23

#24 Sean289

Sean289

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447378
  • Joined: 11/25/2016
  • Location:London, England
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:51 AM

View PostMeanmachinemoe, on 19 May 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

I have had the Tour Black 3 different times. Once stock, once an inch shorter and once with a Super Stroke. I wanted so much to like it. I just love the look. But, I found the exact same thing. Distance control on long putts was awful. I can't explain it.

I had this putter twice because I desperately wanted to like it too. I agree with you in that it is hard to explain. I was lost for words when I was trying to explain it to my friends. The lag putting with this thing was just so inconsistent for me. After a while, I suppose it was a confidence issue but I didn't have this issue with other putters.

Edited by Sean289, 19 May 2018 - 10:34 AM.


24

#25 OspreyCI

OspreyCI

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108024
  • Joined: 05/15/2010
  • Location:Valley of the Sun
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 534

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:28 PM

View PostOspreyCI, on 15 May 2018 - 04:16 PM, said:

I have owned the Red and the Black and used both for extended times. I had the same issues and the distance control killed me.

I went with a non insert face and already feel a difference in speed control. Playing my first round with my non insert putter this weekend. We shall see.

I have owned every Spider released and the Spider Tour inserts have given me the most fits. Not sure why...
First round with my Scotty and WAY better for me. 26 putts and distance control was much better.

PING G400 MAX 9* Tour 65
TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
TM M3 4 Iron Atmos
TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
TM MG 54*
TM HI TOE 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainess Newport

25

#26 Meanmachinemoe

Meanmachinemoe

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15279
  • Joined: 06/05/2006
  • Location:Texas
  • Ebay ID:mohler1
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:14 PM

It was a beautiful day today so I spent 2 solid hours putting. Then went out to play 9. My speed was so much better. Only 12 putts. Could it be that practice is the answer???? Surely not.

Edited by Meanmachinemoe, 21 May 2018 - 08:04 PM.

Taylormade 2017 M1 460 10.5* Fujikura Pro XLR8 56
Titleist 818 H2 18* Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei Blue 70
Ping G400 4-UW AWT 2.0
Titleist Vokey Design SM7 54.14F & 58.12D
Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
GHIN 7.4

26

#27 maverick

maverick

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 671
  • Joined: 05/13/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 532

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:45 PM

If I played on green that the pros play on it would be a different story. For the second time I am trying a black Spider so we will see how these do on slow grainy muni greens...again. I was an early user and always thought a firmer insert like SS would be perfect. So I may try one of the aftermarket inserts if i have the same issues. It is just that close to the hole, 5'-10'  it's a putting machine sinking everything. JD just stated he spends 1/3 of his time practicing putting. I think it shows.

Edited by maverick, 22 May 2018 - 09:15 PM.


27

#28 GOLF4373

GOLF4373

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 318603
  • Joined: 06/02/2014
  • Location:Arizona
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:07 AM

This is interesting to me because I played 6 months last year with the spider tour black and was never as good as I can be from 20 plus feet but I would go 10 rounds at a time without missing from 6 feet and in.  Eventually I abandoned it based on the long distance struggles and went full circle playing evnroll er8, and a couple Scotty’s then had to buy another spider to give it another try.  I messed around with it ona gcquad putting monitor and I realized I was hitting way up on the ball with this putter.  My angle of attack was +4.5 average and I would bet that on the longer strokes it gets even steeper.  Makes sense with the weighting design of this putter.

28

#29 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Joined: 04/05/2014
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:22 PM

Played a course with slower greens yesterday and took both my Aruba and my Spider out with me.  The Aruba had problems on the slower greens while the Spider was much better...  I do like the Spider design.... And then I saw the PXG Operator H...  Stainless steel face, basically a PXG Spider... I'm ordering one before Taylormade sues the s*** out of them and forces them to pull it off the shelves...
You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

29

#30 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Joined: 04/05/2014
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:20 PM

A side note, I've been putting in some putting time the last few days, practicing more with the Aruba which rolls nice but isn't a very forgiving putter even for the heel toe style...  There's more toe hang than I prefer  but misses are punished much greater and I have to focus much more.  When I switch back to the Spider the putts start rolling in much easier.  As the weight is similar, and both have toe hang there really isn't a different feel in the stroke but the Spider is way more forgiving.

You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors