Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Anyone else feel like moving the Players Championship to March is a poor decision

March Players

97 replies to this topic

#31 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2532

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:48 PM

View Postcardoustie, on 15 May 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

It's amazing the Olympics is having this impact on majors

I view it a little different.  I don't think the Olympics on their own had an impact on moving the PGA and Players.  I think the Olympics were the final straw.  Its also the newish wrap around season, the ever changing FedEx Cup Playoffs, and the seemingly increased push to make the President's Cup more than just a fun exhibition.  The Olympics, and everyone skipping it, I think was just the final straw.

Now you almost have 3 golf seasons.  The beginning of the wrap around season from Oct/November or whatever until March.  Then you have the Majors season starting with The Players and ending with The Open.  Then you have the Playoffs/Exhibition season (Olympics, FedEx Cup, Ryder Cup, President's Cup).

Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 grm24

grm24

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
GolfWRX Likes : 2036

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

View Postgvogel, on 15 May 2018 - 03:31 PM, said:

View Postjohnnypro, on 15 May 2018 - 02:27 PM, said:

No more of a poor decision than to move the PGA to May.

Wait until they get some lovely mid-May weather on Long Island next year.....cloudy, breezy, temps in  the low 60's.

That was the foolish decision.  The PGA Championship was important because it came at the end of the traditional golf season - just before fall and football.  Now it won't be relevant.
It hasn't always been played at the end of the traditional golf season. It's been played in February (1971). When the PGA was match play it was played all over the calendar. During early 1960's it was played the week following the Open Championship in July multiple times. Didn't move to August until the late 1960's. So were all of those not relevant?

#33 Titleist 670

Titleist 670

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192258
GolfWRX Likes : 2169

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

I am fine with it moving.  January - the Masters is the best part of the golf season.  Having the Players in May a decent gap between the Masters and US Open, but there's barely any buildup at all.  Seems like most guys have taken 2/3 weeks off.

Putting it back where you're coming off the west coast swing and in the Florida swing will be great I think.

#34 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2532

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:54 PM

View PostgatorMD, on 15 May 2018 - 02:55 PM, said:

View PostSilverBullets, on 15 May 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

Moving it back is kind of a necessary evil.  Right now, with the PGA Champ being in August, the FedEx Cup Playoffs being after that, the Ryder Cup/Presidents Cup being after that... then mixing in the Olympics... And then there's the fact that the tour now has a wrap around schedule.  things are too jammed up at the end of the year.  The elite players want to take breaks and need to take breaks.  The schedule is jam packed in the back half of the year and it leads to elite players skipping events like the Olympics and possibly even the presidents cup.

The tour wants events like the FedEx Cup Playoffs, the President's Cup and even the Olympics (even though they aren't really part of the Olympics) to have increased importance for the global growth of the game.  By moving the PGA Championship up, it allows players to take a break in the summer which could/should increase participation and interest level in the exhibition events.  It also allows them to try and make the FedEx Cup Playoffs more of a marquee event.

The Tour has been trying to push this wrap around season for a while now and let's face it, it hasn't worked.  Casual golf fans, and even serious golf fans, don't care.  The first marquee event is in mid April.  That leaves a solid 5-6 months of a season which fans don't care about.  A big part of the problem with the wrap around schedule is the quality of events.  There are none right now.  By moving the Players to March it adds a standalone marquee event earlier in the season.  Even though it's just a few weeks prior to the Masters, it still starts fans' interest in golf earlier in the year.

The Players is an established event.  It's a marquee event.  It won't lose any lust by being moved to March.

My biggest concern, being from Columbus, Ohio, is will there be an impact to the Memorial.   The Memorial, while not a Major and not the Players is right there on that next tier.  It's a field which traditionally gets the best of the best because it's Jack's event, its at a pristine facility, and it's two weeks before the US Open.  With the PGA Champ now right before the Memorial, will the elite players still show up?  Or will they sit it out as it's a solid time for a break between majors now?

I'm so curious as to who skips the next Olympics secondary to getting caught doping....  U will never change my mind as to why so many top player skipped the first one....

I think that certainly played a role.  I think there were other reasons and I don't think any of them were positive.  Doping, not playing for money, don't care about the Olympics as they add nothing to a tour player's career resume (from a perspective of what they actually care about), too big of a hassle for too little of a payoff, etc.

I don't think moving these tournaments will help with players skipping the Olympics, but, I do think it creates some more opportunity to ramp up the FedEx Cup Playoffs and have guys not be so worn out entering the Ryder Cup/President's Cup.   That could in turn give some of the wrap around events a little better field.
Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop

#35 Titleist 670

Titleist 670

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192258
GolfWRX Likes : 2169

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:59 PM

View PostSilverBullets, on 15 May 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

View PostgatorMD, on 15 May 2018 - 02:55 PM, said:

Moving it back is kind of a necessary evil.  Right now, with the PGA Champ being in August, the FedEx Cup Playoffs being after that, the Ryder Cup/Presidents Cup being after that... then mixing in the Olympics... And then there's the fact that the tour now has a wrap around schedule.  things are too jammed up at the end of the year.  The elite players want to take breaks and need to take breaks.  The schedule is jam packed in the back half of the year and it leads to elite players skipping events like the Olympics and possibly even the presidents cup.

The tour wants events like the FedEx Cup Playoffs, the President's Cup and even the Olympics (even though they aren't really part of the Olympics) to have increased importance for the global growth of the game.  By moving the PGA Championship up, it allows players to take a break in the summer which could/should increase participation and interest level in the exhibition events.  It also allows them to try and make the FedEx Cup Playoffs more of a marquee event.

The Tour has been trying to push this wrap around season for a while now and let's face it, it hasn't worked.  Casual golf fans, and even serious golf fans, don't care.  The first marquee event is in mid April.  That leaves a solid 5-6 months of a season which fans don't care about.  A big part of the problem with the wrap around schedule is the quality of events.  There are none right now.  By moving the Players to March it adds a standalone marquee event earlier in the season.  Even though it's just a few weeks prior to the Masters, it still starts fans' interest in golf earlier in the year.

The Players is an established event.  It's a marquee event.  It won't lose any lust by being moved to March.

My biggest concern, being from Columbus, Ohio, is will there be an impact to the Memorial.   The Memorial, while not a Major and not the Players is right there on that next tier.  It's a field which traditionally gets the best of the best because it's Jack's event, its at a pristine facility, and it's two weeks before the US Open.  With the PGA Champ now right before the Memorial, will the elite players still show up?  Or will they sit it out as it's a solid time for a break between majors now?

I'm so curious as to who skips the next Olympics secondary to getting caught doping....  U will never change my mind as to why so many top player skipped the first one....

I think that certainly played a role.  I think there were other reasons and I don't think any of them were positive.  Doping, not playing for money, don't care about the Olympics as they add nothing to a tour player's career resume (from a perspective of what they actually care about), too big of a hassle for too little of a payoff, etc.

I don't think moving these tournaments will help with players skipping the Olympics, but, I do think it creates some more opportunity to ramp up the FedEx Cup Playoffs and have guys not be so worn out entering the Ryder Cup/President's Cup.   That could in turn give some of the wrap around events a little better field.

The Olympics was shoved down the golfers throats by the media, constantly asking what it meant to them.  Many of them lied at first, but when the excuses started snowballing they all just hopped on.

Why on earth would they care about the Olympics for golf?  They'd never watched it, never grown up dreaming of it, etc.  The media tried to play it up as a major, and it was annoying.

I don't think there was a major "dodge the doping" thing going on, but who knows.  But given where it fell in the schedule, I'm sure a lot of guys were just as happy not to play.  Not to mention, you're playing on a brand new course which has zero history and will likely never host anything again.  How is that supposed to stack up to Augusta National?

#36 Vindog

Vindog

Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 7127

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

View Postputtfordoux, on 15 May 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

View Postjerebear21, on 15 May 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

except the players were played in march before it was played in may so just toss that mindset of golf season begins with the masters

but the players didn't have the heavy push on it as being a major with the prize money and such until after the move to may. now with the wall-to-wall coverage on golf channel it now has a higher place on the pecking order.

if the tour had it their way, the players would be the unofficial start to the golf season, not the masters. with the move to march it makes that a little more likely. it comes down to a simple power struggle.

Oh yes it did
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#37 Vindog

Vindog

Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer!

• Advanced Members
  • 17,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 7127

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:03 PM

View PostSilverBullets, on 15 May 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

I dunno, man.  Only one man alive has an Olympic gold medal in golf.  I would think that was pretty special, if I was Justin Rose.

Edited by Vindog, 15 May 2018 - 05:16 PM.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#38 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3952

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:10 PM

View Postcardoustie, on 15 May 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

It's amazing the Olympics is having this impact on majors

The move of the PGA and TPC has more to do with pushing the Fed Ex Playoffs into August to avoid football than the Olympics.

I'm  more used to the idea of the TPC being in March than May.
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

#39 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:14 PM

View PostVindog, on 15 May 2018 - 05:00 PM, said:

except the players were played in march before it was played in may so just toss that mindset of golf season begins with the masters

but the players didn't have the heavy push on it as being a major with the prize money and such until after the move to may. now with the wall-to-wall coverage on golf channel it now has a higher place on the pecking order.

if the tour had it their way, the players would be the unofficial start to the golf season, not the masters. with the move to march it makes that a little more likely. it comes down to a simple power struggle.

Oh yes it did

The Tour has been on that push since the tournament was founded. Jack was upset with it, because it was getting in the way of The Memorial being the fifth major.

#40 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:17 PM

We'll have to see the schedule first, but there should be two weeks between The Memorial and the PGA. The PGA will be in this week next year with the Byron Nelson before it and the Colonial after it.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 BNGL

BNGL

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
GolfWRX Likes : 890

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:18 PM

View Postlawst4days, on 15 May 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

View PostJaNelson38, on 15 May 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

View Postlawst4days, on 15 May 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

This might not be a popular opinion, I am not sure.

I cannot speak to moving the majors around in order to make room for the Olympics. I don't honestly think the Olympics will overtake the majors in "importance" anyway just from a purely fiscal perspective.

Scheduling of other tournaments aside, moving the Players to March, I believe, is a terrible idea for the tournament.

The tour players keep saying "The course wasn't made to be played in May, it plays too fast and hard.

I believe what makes a tournament memorable from a fans perspective, is how hard it plays. It is fun television to watch the best players in golf struggle.  I don't personally remember the last tournament a player broke a scoring record.  I do however remember, Ernie Ells horrible putting at last year's Masters, Kevin Na's Instagram post at Erin Hills about the crazy rough, all of Phill's crazy scramble shots.

It is fun to watch a Ferrari race another Ferrari. Or a tour player go up against a course that matches their amazing skill with treatury.

The Players now has the second largest purse on the schedule now, so I understand why tour players get upset when it plays difficult. But if you want the big money you have to be the best on the most difficult course when the conditions are difficult.

For this reason,I beleive moving the Players to March, when the course will be dramatically easier due to over seeding, is the worst possible idea for the tournament.

The Players was played in March from its inception to 2007.  The main reason it was moved was because the PGA Tour was getting tired of weak fields in many events from the Masters until the US Open in June.  Now with the PGA Championship moving to May, it allows the Players to go back to March where it belongs.

March is basically smack dab in the middle of peak season of golf in Florida....as evidenced by the Florida Swing on the PGA Tour each year.  To think the course will be easier because of "over seeding" is ridiculous.  TPC Sawgrass is like a lot of Florida courses - its dependent on the wind for its defense, because there is very little elevation changes.  The only reason the scoring was so good this year is because the wind laid down literally all weekend.  Typically, the winning score at The Players is somewhere between -12 and -15.  The cut last year was +2.

I honestly believe that over seeding 100% will make to tpc sawgrass easier. And would be willing to listen to why you would think otherwise.

The greens are what gives this course it's teeth. And what introduces the risk/ reward relationship of tee shot to approach. You don't have to go long, but you definitely have to miss in the right area. You make it easier to hold greens and you take the teeth away. Which is what you get with overseeded greens.

It will hands down make the course easier. If you look at the difference between the majors and the other tournaments, it is primarily the difficulty of the greens and the rough. You just cannot rely on wind in the US.  I say we keep it in May, make the rough more penal, make the greens ridiculous and watch some players 5 putt. Sorry players, you can't have your cake and eat it too. If it was easy, everyone would be making 1.9 mil a tourney.

are you for sure 100 percent positive that Jeff and the rest of the staff will overseed greens? It is not uncommon, in fact i would almost say typically most courses, do not overseed their greens. If they don't, it could actually become harder to hold greens. You'll have a firm compacted surface, with zero growth and friction on it, and the potentially for wickedly dense long seed around the greens. The last time The Players was held in March, the greens were not TifEagle Bermuda (Miniverde???).

Edited by BNGL, 15 May 2018 - 05:18 PM.

#42 2putttom

2putttom

# 1 Oregon Duck fan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 5318

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

View PostDarth Putter, on 15 May 2018 - 05:14 PM, said:

Oh yes it did

The Tour has been on that push since the tournament was founded. Jack was upset with it, because it was getting in the way of The Memorial being the fifth major.
I find it odd , don't you that the USGA, PGA, LPGA, Asian Tour. European Tour..... don't have majors named after legendary golfers. I mean really Bobby Jones Classic would have been a great major. If Jack thinks his tournament is note worthy of a major, then what's the hold up? Drop the Players The Open or PGA Championship.( :swoon: )  There only so much room and money to go round.  Ya that'll be the day. As for majors signaling the beginning or end of a season ...you can kiss my a**. Golf is played all over the world and is an international language.
Tour Exotics E 10 15*
Srixon 785's  w/G P MCC plus 4
Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
Bobby Grace SNYPER II   46"
Oregon Ducks Bag

#43 lawst4days

lawst4days

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413128
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:35 PM

View PostBNGL, on 15 May 2018 - 05:18 PM, said:

I cannot speak to moving the majors around in order to make room for the Olympics. I don't honestly think the Olympics will overtake the majors in "importance" anyway just from a purely fiscal perspective.

Scheduling of other tournaments aside, moving the Players to March, I believe, is a terrible idea for the tournament.

The tour players keep saying "The course wasn't made to be played in May, it plays too fast and hard.

I believe what makes a tournament memorable from a fans perspective, is how hard it plays. It is fun television to watch the best players in golf struggle.  I don't personally remember the last tournament a player broke a scoring record.  I do however remember, Ernie Ells horrible putting at last year's Masters, Kevin Na's Instagram post at Erin Hills about the crazy rough, all of Phill's crazy scramble shots.

It is fun to watch a Ferrari race another Ferrari. Or a tour player go up against a course that matches their amazing skill with treatury.

The Players now has the second largest purse on the schedule now, so I understand why tour players get upset when it plays difficult. But if you want the big money you have to be the best on the most difficult course when the conditions are difficult.

For this reason,I beleive moving the Players to March, when the course will be dramatically easier due to over seeding, is the worst possible idea for the tournament.

The Players was played in March from its inception to 2007.  The main reason it was moved was because the PGA Tour was getting tired of weak fields in many events from the Masters until the US Open in June.  Now with the PGA Championship moving to May, it allows the Players to go back to March where it belongs.

March is basically smack dab in the middle of peak season of golf in Florida....as evidenced by the Florida Swing on the PGA Tour each year.  To think the course will be easier because of "over seeding" is ridiculous.  TPC Sawgrass is like a lot of Florida courses - its dependent on the wind for its defense, because there is very little elevation changes.  The only reason the scoring was so good this year is because the wind laid down literally all weekend.  Typically, the winning score at The Players is somewhere between -12 and -15.  The cut last year was +2.

I honestly believe that over seeding 100% will make to tpc sawgrass easier. And would be willing to listen to why you would think otherwise.

The greens are what gives this course it's teeth. And what introduces the risk/ reward relationship of tee shot to approach. You don't have to go long, but you definitely have to miss in the right area. You make it easier to hold greens and you take the teeth away. Which is what you get with overseeded greens.

It will hands down make the course easier. If you look at the difference between the majors and the other tournaments, it is primarily the difficulty of the greens and the rough. You just cannot rely on wind in the US.  I say we keep it in May, make the rough more penal, make the greens ridiculous and watch some players 5 putt. Sorry players, you can't have your cake and eat it too. If it was easy, everyone would be making 1.9 mil a tourney.

are you for sure 100 percent positive that Jeff and the rest of the staff will overseed greens? It is not uncommon, in fact i would almost say typically most courses, do not overseed their greens. If they don't, it could actually become harder to hold greens. You'll have a firm compacted surface, with zero growth and friction on it, and the potentially for wickedly dense long seed around the greens. The last time The Players was held in March, the greens were not TifEagle Bermuda (Miniverde???).

I guess I am not 100% sure they would overseed.  I can't ever say what the future holds with 100% certainty obviously.

But, to quote Jared Rice: "Plus, the positive with bringing in the overseeded grass is that it will give us a brilliant emerald look, which will really be a nice touch."

#44 KrazyTrain18

KrazyTrain18

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,975 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207177
  • Handicap:1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1227

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:45 PM

I don't know how it'll play out, but my current view is that it should stay in May.  I really like the current run up to Augusta and a bigger event just weeks prior might have a negative effect on that "buildup" amongst the general public.  On the other side, I believe this move will greatly strengthen the fields of the Byron Nelson and Memorial tournaments in coming years.
915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
712U 2I (DG S300)
714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)

#45 mosesgolf

mosesgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6303
GolfWRX Likes : 1854

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:18 PM

Moving the Masters to December would still make it the Masters.  Same goes for the Players.  It's just going back to where it belongs and moving the PGA to May is a great move imo.

Titleist 917D2 9.5 Rogue Max 65 Stiff
Titleist 910F 15* Project X 6.0
Titleist 910H 19* Project X 6.0
Titleist 910H 23  Project X 6.0
Titleist 714MB DGS300 4-9
Titleist Vokey 48 54 60
Titleist Scotty Futura 34

#46 BNGL

BNGL

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
GolfWRX Likes : 890

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:21 PM

View Postlawst4days, on 15 May 2018 - 06:35 PM, said:

View PostBNGL, on 15 May 2018 - 05:18 PM, said:

I guess I am not 100% sure they would overseed.  I can't ever say what the future holds with 100% certainty obviously.

But, to quote Jared Rice: "Plus, the positive with bringing in the overseeded grass is that it will give us a brilliant emerald look, which will really be a nice touch."

Don't feel too bad...no one can. Jared is a hell of a salesmen, and I will bet my house they will overseed the course, just not the greens. Maybe they will and Ill look like a dope, which is fine. But man, if they don't and N Florida sees a cold few weeks leading up to the tournament, and the wind gusts, it'll be nearly impossible to play.

#47 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 11747

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:40 PM

I don't really care too much about The Players moving (but they had a "good" reason for moving it the first time, right?), but moving the PGA and condensing the major season from the end of The Masters to the beginning of The Open to sometimes just under 3 months is a terrible idea, and the justification for it is even worse.  All about the artificial Fed Ex Cup "playoffs"/silly arguments about football and making room for the Olympics - bunch of nonsense.

This crap all started with the wrap around and apparently that wasn't good enough to stoke the fires/help out the big "playoffs".  But it did close the shop a bit by getting rid of traditional Q School and appeasing a few sponsors.  

Tim Finchem's elfin magic continues.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 15 May 2018 - 07:41 PM.

#48 ray9898

ray9898

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 419990
GolfWRX Likes : 694

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

LOL....baffling so many think a tournament will fall apart if its played 60 days earlier.

#49 grm24

grm24

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:25 PM

View PostKrazyTrain18, on 15 May 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

On the other side, I believe this move will greatly strengthen the fields of the Byron Nelson and Memorial tournaments in coming years.
The Memorial is an invitational that only has 120 players. It has it's own set of criteria for invitation. They have good fields every year.

https://en.wikipedia...tational_status

#50 tiderider

tiderider

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 898

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:27 PM

i'll watch it regardless of when it's played ... decent chance the weather is more turbulent in march than in may, making it a more difficult test ... high score is -5, and the list of winners is very decent ... lots of major winners and double digit tour winners ...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 2putttom

2putttom

# 1 Oregon Duck fan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 5318

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:29 PM

View Posttiderider, on 15 May 2018 - 08:27 PM, said:

i'll watch it regardless of when it's played ... decent chance the weather is more turbulent in march than in may, making it a more difficult test ... high score is -5, and the list of winners is very decent ... lots of major winners and double digit tour winners ...
D A M N    ....  drive a stake in the ground.

I'll stand beside ya with a 9 iron in hand

Edited by 2putttom, 15 May 2018 - 08:31 PM.

Tour Exotics E 10 15*
Srixon 785's  w/G P MCC plus 4
Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
Bobby Grace SNYPER II   46"
Oregon Ducks Bag

#52 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• 15,308 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:31 PM

View Postgrm24, on 15 May 2018 - 04:51 PM, said:

Wait until they get some lovely mid-May weather on Long Island next year.....cloudy, breezy, temps in  the low 60's.

That was the foolish decision.  The PGA Championship was important because it came at the end of the traditional golf season - just before fall and football.  Now it won't be relevant.
It hasn't always been played at the end of the traditional golf season. It's been played in February (1971). When the PGA was match play it was played all over the calendar. During early 1960's it was played the week following the Open Championship in July multiple times. Didn't move to August until the late 1960's. So were all of those not relevant?

Relevant, at least I think, in that they were examples of dates that didn't work out?

View Postray9898, on 15 May 2018 - 08:02 PM, said:

LOL....baffling so many think a tournament will fall apart if its played 60 days earlier.

Don't think the tournament will fall apart, but do think it will hurt golf in the long run.

#53 MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450210
GolfWRX Likes : 1115

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:47 PM

Temperatures in Ponte Vedra Beach are just fine in March.  The real difference between May and March is the wind.  In fact, with all the swirling winds created by the increasing number of grandstands around the 17th, there are going to be some days when that hole is going to become unplayable.

Edited by MountainGoat, 15 May 2018 - 08:58 PM.

#54 puttfordoux

puttfordoux

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494520
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:00 PM

Oh yes it did

first place money and total prize money went up in consecutive years (to almost 20% higher) after the move to may, having stayed the same the prior three years.

#55 grm24

grm24

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:43 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 15 May 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

Relevant, at least I think, in that they were examples of dates that didn't work out?
Since the PGA is a major it will remain relevant regardless of the date played. Is the PGA that Jack Nicklaus in 1971 that was played in Florida in February less relevant than the one he won in 1963 in July or less relevant than the one he won in August in 1973? No. They aren't. They still count the same in spite of when it was played.

#56 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• Advanced Members
  • 19,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
GolfWRX Likes : 10226

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:49 PM

Personally, I would like to see it go away, but then I also want the Canadian Open to become a major.
Mizuno ST-180 10.5/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 60s
Callaway BBA 816 16/PX Evenflow Blue 75s
Mizuno Mp-54 3-Pw/Dynamic Gold s300
Mizuno T7 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s300
Scotty Cameron Futura X7
Srixon Z-Star

WITB

#57 johnnypro

johnnypro

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2246
  • Handicap:14.5
GolfWRX Likes : 521

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:54 PM

View Postgrm24, on 15 May 2018 - 09:43 PM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 15 May 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

Since the PGA is a major it will remain relevant regardless of the date played. Is the PGA that Jack Nicklaus in 1971 that was played in Florida in February less relevant than the one he won in 1963 in July or less relevant than the one he won in August in 1973? No. They aren't. They still count the same in spite of when it was played.

It won't be irrelevant but IMO having the last major of the year played in the middle of July isn't great.

What's the reasoning? FedEx Cup? FedEx Cup sucks.

#58 grm24

grm24

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:59 PM

View Postjohnnypro, on 15 May 2018 - 09:54 PM, said:

It won't be irrelevant but IMO having the last major of the year played in the middle of July isn't great.
It used to be like that. For many years the PGA as the final major was played in July. Sometimes one week after the Open Championship and sometimes two weeks after. The game survived and didn't suffer.

#59 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• 15,308 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:11 PM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 15 May 2018 - 09:49 PM, said:

Personally, I would like to see it go away, but then I also want the Canadian Open to become a major.

Hey, no letting guys pad their major totals at Jack's expense (but he had a ton of seconds). Bob Murphy gets a major? Okay, I like that.

#60 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• Advanced Members
  • 19,039 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
GolfWRX Likes : 10226

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:13 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 15 May 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

View PostMadGolfer76, on 15 May 2018 - 09:49 PM, said:

Hey, no letting guys pad their major totals at Jack's expense (but he had a ton of seconds). Bob Murphy gets a major? Okay, I like that.

Ha. The new guys still won't come anywhere close.

Mizuno ST-180 10.5/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 60s
Callaway BBA 816 16/PX Evenflow Blue 75s
Mizuno Mp-54 3-Pw/Dynamic Gold s300
Mizuno T7 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s300
Scotty Cameron Futura X7
Srixon Z-Star

WITB

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Also tagged with March, Players

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors