Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Getting Stuck, Coming From the Inside, Flippy ...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 IUBB

IUBB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469042
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:30 AM

Wondering how many of you have encountered this problem?  To give some background, my handicap around 4-5 after spending a few years as a 1-2.  These last couple of years my ball-striking has been poor, and I'm just not giving myself enough of a chance to really score it.  In the only tournament I play in last year, I shot a 300 over four rounds, but if you actually watched me play you would've sworn it was about 330.  Just a lot of grinding and 5 foot par putts - very exhausting golf for sure.  

I've gotten a few lessons and worked on different things to try to get the club in front of me.  I even sent Monte a video, and his advice was to get my right elbow chasing my belly-button.  That wasn't really a great "feel" for me, but externally rotating the right shoulder seemed to help for a bit.  I've also experimented with the feeling of almost "coming over the top" of the ball (as directed by a guy giving me a lesson) and have found that to work for a short time.  The problem is these things just don't seem to last.  My hips fire and my hands just drop leaving the club behind my chest.  I've tried starting my downswing with the hands to compensate, and again had some marginal success.  

As such, my misses are almost always off the toe and somewhat of a push-fade.  I just can't seem to square the clubface up at impact.  Even getting fitted for a driver this year - the data was showing my clubface as being about 2-3 degrees open.  I've tried  forearm rotation with marginal success, and am now playing with a strong grip (I was neutral).  It seems to work on wedge shots, and especially chipping (does anyone else chip with a stronger grip than their normal?) which I was surprised by.  I'm not sure it's a great long term fix though.  

That's a lot of intel - but I've been fighting this for a couple years and just can't seem to get through it.  Any suggestions or advice?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 airjammer

airjammer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28903
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 215

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

Post a dtl and face on video. It could be a many differnet things.

Seems like most people weaked their grip chipping because too much shaft lean is bad.

#3 bogeypro

bogeypro

The Original Bogeypro

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,758 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 1487

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:31 AM

you are stalling your left arm, allowing the club to pass your arms and flip.  The cause is the bad sequencing in the downswing.  The fix is the keep powering the left arm THROUGH impact... how do you do that?  either by using your shoulder girdle muscles or by straightening your right arm late in the downswing....
Titleist TS2 8.5* driver
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Titleist 818 H2 3 hybrid
Titleist 718 TMB 4-pw
Titleist Vokey 50f/56m/60m
putter: it varies - I can three putt anything

#4 Bomber_11

Bomber_11

Enjoy the Chase.

• 2,943 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412188
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 3908

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:35 AM

I know what you mean, I pursued the "get your right elbow through" advice given on here as well and it was always very difficult to square the clubface doing that.

I do like bogeypro's advice above.

I've also found luck with the drill where you lay an alignment stick down your target line behind your ball, and trace your backswing down it. I get stuck when I take the club back inside and return the club inside. A good takeaway sets you up to be on plane the rest of your swing which should help you square up and make a better move.
Taylormade M3 9.5 + Diamana D+ 70X
Taylormade M2 Deep Face 3HL + Diamana D+ 80X
Nike VR Pro Blade 4-PW + DG Tour Issue X100
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/56M w/ DG Tour Issue S400
Titleist Vokey SM6 60S* w/ DG Tour Issue S400
Nike Method Oven Proto 006
Vice Pro Plus
Jones x Greyson Bag

#5 IUBB

IUBB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:07 AM

Yep, appreciate the responses.  I definitely agree with getting the left arm moving.  I've found some success with making sure my posture doesn't break down, and for me trying to feel like the club head beats my arms to the ball.  Kind of a "staying tall through impact" type of feeling.  I have quick hips so staying tall seems to help me stay balanced and not break down.  

Small steps but I'm working through it.  A stronger grip is definitely helping too.  I've always had a very neutral grip and strengthening it just seems to help me square the face a bit better.

I'll post a video at some point.  I have some ones from last fall but don't have anything from this year.

Edited by IUBB, 17 May 2018 - 08:08 AM.

#6 bogeypro

bogeypro

The Original Bogeypro

• 2,758 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 1487

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:32 AM

Keep in mind that we want the club to line up with lead arm just after impact.  This provides max power to the hit.  So trying to get the club to beat your hands may be counter productive.
Titleist TS2 8.5* driver
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Titleist 818 H2 3 hybrid
Titleist 718 TMB 4-pw
Titleist Vokey 50f/56m/60m
putter: it varies - I can three putt anything

#7 Redjeep83

Redjeep83

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115910
GolfWRX Likes : 794

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

View PostBomber_11, on 17 May 2018 - 12:35 AM, said:

I know what you mean, I pursued the "get your right elbow through" advice given on here as well and it was always very difficult to square the clubface doing that.

I've also found luck with the drill where you lay an alignment stick down your target line behind your ball, and trace your backswing down it. I get stuck when I take the club back inside and return the club inside. A good takeaway sets you up to be on plane the rest of your swing which should help you square up and make a better move.

Yea, I've never cared for the drive right elbow forward feel especially if you are hitting push slices, going to make it worse. Only time I've got the pitch elbow feel to work well is when I bow the left wrist and almost swing like Dustin Johnson, them it works out pretty well.

#8 IUBB

IUBB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:23 PM

View PostRedjeep83, on 18 May 2018 - 06:44 PM, said:

View PostBomber_11, on 17 May 2018 - 12:35 AM, said:

Yea, I've never cared for the drive right elbow forward feel especially if you are hitting push slices, going to make it worse. Only time I've got the pitch elbow feel to work well is when I bow the left wrist and almost swing like Dustin Johnson, them it works out pretty well.

Well I had an indoor lesson today and got all synced up on a trackman.  True to form, my shots were pretty high and a bit to spinny.  We got the trajectory down by simply moving the ball position more towards the middle of my stance.  I guess I'd let it creep up so that was a relatively easy fix.

The other thing that the pro pointed out was that my hips had too much lateral movement at the beginning of my downswing.  It makes a lot of sense and may explain why my hands drop and I get stuck.  I also changed my left foot at address - I've always had it a bit open so squaring it up felt super awkward.  However, I think it will pay dividends and make it not so easy to "slide" my left side before I'm ready.  I went to the range this afternoon after the lesson and hit some quality shots.  Just focusing on posture and rotating the shoulders with very little lateral movement in the lower body is what I need to work on.  The irons were pretty pure, but I've got some work to do with the driver.  I did end on a good note hitting a draw and a fade the way I wanted to so looking forward to going back out tomorrow.  

Anyone dealt with a left hip / side that gets a bit too jumpy?

Edited by IUBB, 19 May 2018 - 06:25 PM.

#9 Club Guru

Club Guru

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45171
  • Ebay ID:aaronhecht
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:52 PM

Get a whippy tempomaster.  It will fix your sequencing.

#10 Scottbox

Scottbox

scottbox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479662
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:owntheframe
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:36 PM

Hi! Wow, it's really difficult to discuss your swing without seeing it, but... at any rate, I suffer from the same issues, which is why I'm a 10 and not a 5. Strengthening your grip is a great first start and making sure your club's reasonably on plane at the top helps. You probably are hitting sweeping draws now, and it sounds like you prefer to keep it simple. My teacher has me do two things to "open up" more at impact:

Start my downswing getting my front knee over my foot, which gets me to start turning earlier. It's sort of an in-swing version of the baseball drill. Then you can "turn" by straightening the knee and letting the front hip turn around your heel.

One thing that'll force you do the "turn" part is putting an alignment shaft diagonally into the ground, about 6" in front of your body. It will feel scary close at first. If you slide or lurch your upper body, you'll hit the shaft. What'll happen is that, in order to avoid hitting the shaft, your body instinctively turns rather than slides or stops. It'll feel really weird at first, because you're not used to having your shoulders open up so much. Go with it and do half swings with a smaller club at slow speeds. You'll find your divots are better and not pointing right (for a righty). You'll also turn while keeping your head back.

This is a version of the same principle (in this case, used to keep a student's head back):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9onCIaV3__w

Another VERY helpful thing do do is hitting half shots while turning your head to the target before impact, a la David Duval. You'll be amazed at how well you hit it, and without your head blocking your shoulders, your upper body will feel freer to turn. You'll get great compression, and the ball will start straighter.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors