Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Top Flite XL Distance vs. Bombs and Compression

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brad48

Brad48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 501824
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:22 PM

Okay - this is a legitimate question.

First of all, I am curious about the distance claims of high compression balls such as Top Flite XL and Bombs, when the balls these are geared towards (high handicapers) likely require lower compression balls. How is it, when low compression is about distance, that rock hard Top Flite budget balls can be long & high compression.

Now, that being said, I am also wondering if anyone can tell me the difference in the Top Flite XL vs. Top Flite Bomb?  What are the compression, dimple, core composition, etc... that differentiates the two balls?  I look at both, and they appear to be fairly similar, except perhaps a softer cover on the Bombs?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Need2golfalot

Need2golfalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399454
  • Handicap:10.1
GolfWRX Likes : 141

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:13 PM

View PostBrad48, on 14 May 2018 - 11:22 PM, said:

First of all, I am curious about the distance claims of high compression balls such as Top Flite XL and Bombs, when the balls these are geared towards (high handicapers) likely require lower compression balls. How is it, when low compression is about distance, that rock hard Top Flite budget balls can be long & high compression.

Now, that being said, I am also wondering if anyone can tell me the difference in the Top Flite XL vs. Top Flite Bomb?  What are the compression, dimple, core composition, etc... that differentiates the two balls?  I look at both, and they appear to be fairly similar, except perhaps a softer cover on the Bombs?

No expert here, but don't know that high handicappers need lower compression.  True that slower swing speeds can benefit from slightly more distance from lower compression.

I believe you are correct that the TF XL and Bomb are similar.  

The reason they are good for high handicap:  they are cheap.  Assuming high handicappers lose a lot of golf balls.  A well struck ball on the sweet spot still feels soft.  So they give good feedback.  Low spin is a good thing because high handicappers generally don't control spin.

Edited by Need2golfalot, 17 May 2018 - 01:19 PM.

#3 Brad48

Brad48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 501824
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:16 AM

View PostNeed2golfalot, on 17 May 2018 - 01:13 PM, said:

View PostBrad48, on 14 May 2018 - 11:22 PM, said:

No expert here, but don't know that high handicappers need lower compression.  True that slower swing speeds can benefit from slightly more distance from lower compression.

I believe you are correct that the TF XL and Bomb are similar.  

The reason they are good for high handicap:  they are cheap.  Assuming high handicappers lose a lot of golf balls.  A well struck ball on the sweet spot still feels soft.  So they give good feedback.  Low spin is a good thing because high handicappers generally don't control spin.

I get it (why I purchase them....if I lose it, I have a 1 minute rule for looking for them.  Often make out in a round as I lose a few XL's and gain a few Pro-V's.).   However, that being said, the high compression rating seems to fly in the face of a distance ball for hackers.

#4 Need2golfalot

Need2golfalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399454
  • Handicap:10.1
GolfWRX Likes : 141

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

Low compression only has very slight distance gain when used in colder temperatures.  Both types have maxed COR. IMO the higher compression gives better feedback on how well the ball is struck.

We had a lot of rain here the past couple of days.  I could play TF XL and score as well as anything else.

You should play what you enjoy, especially what works on and around the greens.  Personally I like the lower cost golf balls.  Don't enjoy wacking $3 or $4 bills into the pond.  😉

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors