Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Counterbalance Grip Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Redstorm2011

Redstorm2011

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284900
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

If I’m not mistaken, I thought that counterbalance putters are supposed to be a couple inches longer and meant to choke down so that the weight is above your hands. I haven’t followed the SuperStroke in a while but I recently saw the Pistol GT with countercore...? Have things changed since then and that the weight doesn’t have to be?

Just bought a cheap Tank Cruiser with the WHP insert from CPO to tinker with and I’m looking for some grip recommendations as I have to cut it down a bit since it’s a 38”.

Callaway Great Big Bertha | Srixon Z-Star | Ping G25 | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged | Titleist Vokey SM5 | Studio Select Newport 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Halebopp

Halebopp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184750
GolfWRX Likes : 1330

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:52 AM

Isn't the weight in the Tanks fixed to the butt end of the shaft? Thus cutting down the shaft might make a mess of things.

I built my own CB putter by extending the shaft and adding weight and I actually like the weight where my hands are, having the weight above my hands made the putter feel less stable.
D: Mizuno MP-650, 9.5º, Orochi Red Stiff
4W: Titleist 917 F2, 16.5º, Speeder Pro 84 TS Stiff
3 Iron: Mizuno MP-H5, KBS Tour Stiff
4-PW: Mizuno MP-4, KBS Tour Stiff
Mizuno MP-T5 50.07, DG Wedge
W/S FG Tour PMP: 55.12, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
W/S FG Tour PMP: 59.10, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
WITB Link

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

#3 Maximilian

Maximilian

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106865
GolfWRX Likes : 482

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:41 AM

There is really no right or wrong way to do it. People with different strokes like different things. Personally I don't like added weight above my hands, but do like some where I place my hands. You could get a weight that attaches to the end of the shaft, under the grip, or special weights that you can place anywhere inside the shaft. You could also add lead tape under the grip or just go with a heavier grip itself. The new Flux Gravity 1 grips look pretty cool if you don't mind a larger grip. They are 135g.

#4 Redstorm2011

Redstorm2011

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284900
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

View PostHalebopp, on 16 May 2018 - 01:52 AM, said:

Isn't the weight in the Tanks fixed to the butt end of the shaft? Thus cutting down the shaft might make a mess of things.

I built my own CB putter by extending the shaft and adding weight and I actually like the weight where my hands are, having the weight above my hands made the putter feel less stable.

I dont know much about the shaft weight aspect but I have to cut the shaft down regardless since its 38 in. A couple years ago I bought a used metal x belly putter, cut it down to 35 in and put a Winn counterbalance grip on it to experiment with. I loved the putter but sold it to a friend who loved it even more. I was hoping to do something similar with this cheap purchase. Its not my gamer, just something to mess around with so I figured why not.

Edited by Redstorm2011, 16 May 2018 - 07:04 AM.

Callaway Great Big Bertha | Srixon Z-Star | Ping G25 | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged | Titleist Vokey SM5 | Studio Select Newport 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors