Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

AWD Luxury Sedans


  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 altess27

altess27

    Northern MN Southpaw

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292905
  • Joined: 01/22/2014
  • Location:Minnesota
  • Handicap:1.0
  • Ebay ID:ates1010
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:02 PM

Hi All,

Hoping for some input on AWD Luxury Sedans. I'm currently in an SUV but I really miss driving around in a sedan. I have no kids and never haul a thing so space for me is not an issue. Checking to see if anyone has any input on brands like Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Lexus. What I'm looking for is something in 2016-2017 range and really couldn't get anything more expensive than a 5 series or E Class. It has to be AWD because I live in Minnesota.

Thanks!

913 D2 Driver
917 F2 3 Wood
XR 16 5 Wood
Rac TP Irons
Piretti Wedges
Spider Tour Putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Joined: 11/01/2008
  • Location:Montreal
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 20888

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:40 PM

Not a fan of Cadillac?

I don't own one but i sit in them when i'm waiting for my Buick at the dealer and make engine sounds with my mouth

CTS comes in AWD and is in that range
Callaway Epic SubZero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

2

#3 altess27

altess27

    Northern MN Southpaw

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292905
  • Joined: 01/22/2014
  • Location:Minnesota
  • Handicap:1.0
  • Ebay ID:ates1010
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

Cadillac would be great too, I've never owned any of these brands so I'm basically just looking for recommendations or success stories with certain brands. Thanks for the suggestion! I know there are there other like Lincoln, Jaguar, and Infiniti that also make nice AWD sedans.
913 D2 Driver
917 F2 3 Wood
XR 16 5 Wood
Rac TP Irons
Piretti Wedges
Spider Tour Putter

3

#4 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

    Major Winner

  • Marshals
  • 3,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Joined: 08/24/2006
  • Location:NH native stuck in Northern Virginia
  • Handicap:6.2

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:45 PM

I'm on my second Infiniti and think the sedans are fantastic. I had the G35x sedan for 7 years - which I am pretty sure got renamed the Q70 or something like that. But overall its a fantastic car that the AWD system was great. If I lived in your neck of the woods I would probably still run Blizzaks on it in the winter though.

IMO the one great thing Infiniti had going for it was that their option packages seemed way more reasonable priced than the comparable BMW or Mercedes.

Anyway, I was/am really happy with Infiniti overall.
M3 9.5 - AD-DI6x Black
M4 3W Atmos Red S - ('16 M2 3W - Tour Blue 75s)
Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
Cobra F8 One Lengths 5-GW - Steelfiber 110s
TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
Cure CX2 35" / TM TP5x

4

#5 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Joined: 11/01/2008
  • Location:Montreal
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 20888

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

I've driven the XT5 because my father in law has one, I'm a GM convert.....they are pretty nice cars.

Callaway Epic SubZero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

5

#6 HackerDave

HackerDave

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57404
  • Joined: 06/06/2008
  • Location:Michigan & Hilton Head SC
  • Handicap:11.6
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

 dcmidnight, on 14 May 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

I'm on my second Infiniti and think the sedans are fantastic. I had the G35x sedan for 7 years - which I am pretty sure got renamed the Q70 or something like that. But overall its a fantastic car that the AWD system was great. If I lived in your neck of the woods I would probably still run Blizzaks on it in the winter though.

IMO the one great thing Infiniti had going for it was that their option packages seemed way more reasonable priced than the comparable BMW or Mercedes.

Anyway, I was/am really happy with Infiniti overall.

I was thinking about a used Q70 convertible.   Looks like a nice car and flies in under the radar.

6

#7 HackerDave

HackerDave

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57404
  • Joined: 06/06/2008
  • Location:Michigan & Hilton Head SC
  • Handicap:11.6
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

We have had a series of Audi's and really enjoy them.  The only downside is repair bills.  They are GREAT cars under warranty, but out of warranty the cost of parts grabs your attention.

7

#8 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 5706

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

I'm certainly biased but don't overlook the Kia Stinger GT. AWD.
TM M3 10* Graphite Design BB6s
TM M1 3w 14*  Graphite Design BB7s
Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-AW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Titleist Vokey 54*F  58*S
Toulon Garage Rochester/ Toulon Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

8

#9 UofU02

UofU02

    Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 231449
  • Joined: 02/22/2013
  • Location:Flyover Country
GolfWRX Likes : 1105

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:43 PM

Iíd second the Infiniti.  Prior to my Jag I had a G35x that was great in the snow/ rain.  It was really reliable until the end (170,000 mi) and the few times it was in the shop it was reasonable to repair.

My wife is on her second Lexus RX (SUV) in the last 15 years and they are bulletproof.  Iím not sure which sedan models have AWD but weíve been extremely happy with Lexus. I think the only knock on Lexus is that they are pretty bland as far as style and power but if those things donít matter to you then they are definitely worth a look.

Edited by UofU02, 14 May 2018 - 08:48 PM.

Cobra LTD Black Driver
Taylormade M2 16.5* fairway wood
Mizuno JPX 900 3 and 4 hybrids
Mizuno MP-55 irons 5-P
Scotty Cameron AOP Newport Custom
Cleveland RTX 588 50*, 54* and 58*

9

#10 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

    Major Winner

  • Marshals
  • 3,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Joined: 08/24/2006
  • Location:NH native stuck in Northern Virginia
  • Handicap:6.2

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:39 AM

 UofU02, on 14 May 2018 - 08:43 PM, said:

I'd second the Infiniti.  Prior to my Jag I had a G35x that was great in the snow/ rain.  It was really reliable until the end (170,000 mi) and the few times it was in the shop it was reasonable to repair.

Yeah the only reason I went to the FX37 was that as I started playing more weekend tournaments and taking more golf trips - it was easier to load with multiple bags and/or push carts. Otherwise I'd probably still be driving the same car.

M3 9.5 - AD-DI6x Black
M4 3W Atmos Red S - ('16 M2 3W - Tour Blue 75s)
Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
Cobra F8 One Lengths 5-GW - Steelfiber 110s
TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
Cure CX2 35" / TM TP5x

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 moegolfer11

moegolfer11

    Who got the vibe, it's the Tribe yall

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75212
  • Joined: 02/13/2009
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 546

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:20 AM

 Shilgy, on 14 May 2018 - 07:08 PM, said:

I'm certainly biased but don't overlook the Kia Stinger GT. AWD.

Likewise, was going to suggest the Cadenza/K900. My old man just got the new Cadenza, coming from a Lexus. He likes it way more. More power, more luxury options on the interior, and AWD. The inside of the thing is just really nice. I believe the trim is the Limited trim.

Edited by moegolfer11, 15 May 2018 - 08:22 AM.

Taylormade M2 10.5° Graphite Design AD-BB 7x
Titleist 913 FD 15° Diamana 'Ahina 70x
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron Accra 110i
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW Project X 6.0
Vokey SM7 52°  56°  60° S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx
Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium Sole Stamp

11

#12 FadeOnly

FadeOnly

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 228797
  • Joined: 02/13/2013
  • Location:Pittsburgh, PA
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

My 2011 Lincoln MKS w/Ecoboost is running like a champ.  Only has 60k on it but it's a beast with 350HP and a similar engine to what Ford puts in their F150's.
TW VAPOR / S 73s
915F 15* / S+ 70s
VAPOR FLY 3H / TENSEI 80HYs
Z565 TI 4-P / NS PRO 1050GHs
588-RTX  50*/54*/58*
POTENZA TOUR FLOW

12

#13 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

    BMW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Joined: 09/19/2011
  • Location:Phoenix, Az
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2109

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:55 PM

I'm a big fan of Audi in the luxury sedan market.  It's hard to beat the interior of the current Audis and their exterior styling is great.  I preferred the way the older audis drove over the newer ones (specifically the B7 A4 model which ended production in 2008 was my favorite but the newest one is a close second) but I still like the newer ones more than most other cars out there.

BMW makes great cars but they don't resonate with me.  It's purely a preference thing.  I don't like the way interior sets up and I don't like the setup of their electronics (the GUI).  I also don't love the exterior styling on the BMWs, although the newer ones are a step in the right direction.  BMWs are typically quicker than Audis when comparing them and do perform a bit better, but, as a daily driver and commuter car I would take the softer, slightly slower Audi over it.

I like everything about Mercedes except the way the cars drive.  I think they look good on the inside and out but I just don't like driving them. Softer, less responsive, no real sporty aspect about them until you get into an AMG line (but at that point I would personally take a M or S/RS car over an AMG).

I don't know enough about Caddy, Infiniti and Lexus to really state an opinion.  I think the new Infiniti lineup looks stunning.  I haven't driven one though so I really can't say anything else.  As for Cadillac and Lexus, I just don't like the way they look so I have never been invested in learning more about them.  Again, styling is so personal to everyone so that's not really an opinion to base a decision off of.

But yeah, I have always loved the Audi lineup.  I drove a 2008 A4 for 95k miles.  It had some small issues like switches and sensors going out but nothing critical and nothing super expensive.  Maintenance will be more expensive than a Japanese or American car. The big thing with them is to stay on top of the maintenance.  Do what's recommended, take it to a shop that knows German cars, and stay on top of it.  If you do, you will have less issues.  German cars aren't like Hondas where you can seemingly run them on water and be good to go.
Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 910F 19*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi BB40

13

#14 altess27

altess27

    Northern MN Southpaw

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292905
  • Joined: 01/22/2014
  • Location:Minnesota
  • Handicap:1.0
  • Ebay ID:ates1010
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the input everybody! I'm starting to look a bit more into Infiniti, really nice designs and interiors it seems like.
913 D2 Driver
917 F2 3 Wood
XR 16 5 Wood
Rac TP Irons
Piretti Wedges
Spider Tour Putter

14

#15 UofU02

UofU02

    Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 231449
  • Joined: 02/22/2013
  • Location:Flyover Country
GolfWRX Likes : 1105

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

 SilverBullets, on 15 May 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

I'm a big fan of Audi in the luxury sedan market.  It's hard to beat the interior of the current Audis and their exterior styling is great.  I preferred the way the older audis drove over the newer ones (specifically the B7 A4 model which ended production in 2008 was my favorite but the newest one is a close second) but I still like the newer ones more than most other cars out there.

BMW makes great cars but they don't resonate with me.  It's purely a preference thing.  I don't like the way interior sets up and I don't like the setup of their electronics (the GUI).  I also don't love the exterior styling on the BMWs, although the newer ones are a step in the right direction.  BMWs are typically quicker than Audis when comparing them and do perform a bit better, but, as a daily driver and commuter car I would take the softer, slightly slower Audi over it.

I like everything about Mercedes except the way the cars drive.  I think they look good on the inside and out but I just don't like driving them. Softer, less responsive, no real sporty aspect about them until you get into an AMG line (but at that point I would personally take a M or S/RS car over an AMG).

I don't know enough about Caddy, Infiniti and Lexus to really state an opinion.  I think the new Infiniti lineup looks stunning.  I haven't driven one though so I really can't say anything else.  As for Cadillac and Lexus, I just don't like the way they look so I have never been invested in learning more about them.  Again, styling is so personal to everyone so that's not really an opinion to base a decision off of.

But yeah, I have always loved the Audi lineup.  I drove a 2008 A4 for 95k miles.  It had some small issues like switches and sensors going out but nothing critical and nothing super expensive.  Maintenance will be more expensive than a Japanese or American car. The big thing with them is to stay on top of the maintenance.  Do what's recommended, take it to a shop that knows German cars, and stay on top of it.  If you do, you will have less issues.  German cars aren't like Hondas where you can seemingly run them on water and be good to go.

Audi does have the best interiors followed closely by Mercedes but Audi has been regressing with their exterior styling with the recent models.  The sedans have lost the edge and are starting to look more like a basic Toyota or VW.  And the new Qs are gawd awful!  They are walking a fine line between SUV and Minivan.  I was actually really looking forward to the redesign until I saw it and the Audi was quickly off my list of cars to drive.  But to each his own, and they do make a pretty comfortable ride.

Cobra LTD Black Driver
Taylormade M2 16.5* fairway wood
Mizuno JPX 900 3 and 4 hybrids
Mizuno MP-55 irons 5-P
Scotty Cameron AOP Newport Custom
Cleveland RTX 588 50*, 54* and 58*

15

#16 Chivas Irons

Chivas Irons

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106834
  • Joined: 04/24/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:52 PM

Check out the 2018 A5/S5 sportback depending on your budget.  This seems to be the perfect compromise between sedan and suv with the hatchback design.  Iím a previous Audi owner and now a current bmw 535 owner and canít wait till my lease is up to jump back into the S5 sportback.

16

#17 Ghost_Orchid

Ghost_Orchid

    Golf Junkie

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37491
  • Joined: 08/16/2007
  • Location:Upstate NY
  • Handicap:1
  • Ebay ID:ClearCoat2
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:11 AM

I just bought a 2015 Audi SQ5, fun to drive.  AWD, slightly larger than a car...as a golfer, the only downside is I need to take the woods out for my bag to fit sideways.  But, recline the seats and you'll have all the space you need.

17

#18 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

    BMW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Joined: 09/19/2011
  • Location:Phoenix, Az
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2109

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

 UofU02, on 15 May 2018 - 05:56 PM, said:

 SilverBullets, on 15 May 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

I'm a big fan of Audi in the luxury sedan market.  It's hard to beat the interior of the current Audis and their exterior styling is great.  I preferred the way the older audis drove over the newer ones (specifically the B7 A4 model which ended production in 2008 was my favorite but the newest one is a close second) but I still like the newer ones more than most other cars out there.

BMW makes great cars but they don't resonate with me.  It's purely a preference thing.  I don't like the way interior sets up and I don't like the setup of their electronics (the GUI).  I also don't love the exterior styling on the BMWs, although the newer ones are a step in the right direction.  BMWs are typically quicker than Audis when comparing them and do perform a bit better, but, as a daily driver and commuter car I would take the softer, slightly slower Audi over it.

I like everything about Mercedes except the way the cars drive.  I think they look good on the inside and out but I just don't like driving them. Softer, less responsive, no real sporty aspect about them until you get into an AMG line (but at that point I would personally take a M or S/RS car over an AMG).

I don't know enough about Caddy, Infiniti and Lexus to really state an opinion.  I think the new Infiniti lineup looks stunning.  I haven't driven one though so I really can't say anything else.  As for Cadillac and Lexus, I just don't like the way they look so I have never been invested in learning more about them.  Again, styling is so personal to everyone so that's not really an opinion to base a decision off of.

But yeah, I have always loved the Audi lineup.  I drove a 2008 A4 for 95k miles.  It had some small issues like switches and sensors going out but nothing critical and nothing super expensive.  Maintenance will be more expensive than a Japanese or American car. The big thing with them is to stay on top of the maintenance.  Do what's recommended, take it to a shop that knows German cars, and stay on top of it.  If you do, you will have less issues.  German cars aren't like Hondas where you can seemingly run them on water and be good to go.

Audi does have the best interiors followed closely by Mercedes but Audi has been regressing with their exterior styling with the recent models.  The sedans have lost the edge and are starting to look more like a basic Toyota or VW.  And the new Qs are gawd awful!  They are walking a fine line between SUV and Minivan.  I was actually really looking forward to the redesign until I saw it and the Audi was quickly off my list of cars to drive.  But to each his own, and they do make a pretty comfortable ride.

I actually really like the current gen A4.  As long as you get it with the S Line trim.  But yeah I agree about the Q cars.  I really have never been a big fan of them anyway.  2 years ago I was in the market for an SUV.  I drove the Q5 and Q7.  I just didn’t love them.  Got in a Touareg and immediately bought it.  It’s a shame VW is discontinuing the Touareg in the US.  One of the best SUVs on the market.
Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 910F 19*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi BB40

18

#19 HackerDave

HackerDave

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57404
  • Joined: 06/06/2008
  • Location:Michigan & Hilton Head SC
  • Handicap:11.6
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:26 AM

Isn't the Q7 just a gussied up Touareg?   They are the same truck.

19

#20 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

    Major Winner

  • Marshals
  • 3,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Joined: 08/24/2006
  • Location:NH native stuck in Northern Virginia
  • Handicap:6.2

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:31 AM

May be a small thing but one thing I dont like about a lot of Audi models - and Mercedes too - is the static display screen that just perches there on the dash. No effort made to have it built in somehow, not retractable - just sits there.

Meh, not my thing.

M3 9.5 - AD-DI6x Black
M4 3W Atmos Red S - ('16 M2 3W - Tour Blue 75s)
Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
Cobra F8 One Lengths 5-GW - Steelfiber 110s
TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
Cure CX2 35" / TM TP5x

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

    BMW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Joined: 09/19/2011
  • Location:Phoenix, Az
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2109

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

 HackerDave, on 16 May 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

Isn't the Q7 just a gussied up Touareg?   They are the same truck.

Not really.  They sit on the same chassis and share some common parts but that's pretty much where it ends.  They are targeted at different markets as the Q7 is more of a luxury people hauler (has a 3rd row and is a 7 seater) while the Touareg is still a entry level luxury mid sized SUV.  The Q7 has a stretched out wheelbase when compared to the Touareg.  The chassis they sit on, I believe, is the same chassis used on the Cayenne, the Bentley Bentayga and the new Lambo Urus (Lambo's new SUV).  Saying the Touareg and Q7 are the same truck is kind of the equivalent to saying the Lambo Urus and Q7 are the same truck.  They share a platform, they cross over some components, but that's about where it ends.

In the end, the Q7 is a full foot longer and little wider than the Touareg.  Exterior styling is also quite a bit different between the two vehicles.  The Touareg is virtually the same size as the Porsche Cayenne and the styling is closer (though still pretty different) to the Cayenne than the Q7.     All of them have some common components but all of them are pretty different at the same time.  Different motors (for the most part), different transmissions, different AWD platforms, interiors are totally different across the Touareg, Q7 and Cayenne models.

My dad has had a couple of different Cayennes which I have spent a lot of time driving.  Getting out of the Touareg and into the Cayenne really is like driving a completely different, unrelated, vehicle even though they share a lot of parts.  I found the experience to be the exact same when I test drove the Q7 side by side with the Touareg.

The Q7, while a very nice vehicle and I can see the appeal for it, just didn't resonate with me like the Touareg did.  Now if I had a couple of kids?  Sure, I would have picked the Q7 all day long.

Edited by SilverBullets, 16 May 2018 - 01:40 PM.

Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 910F 19*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi BB40

21

#22 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

    BMW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Joined: 09/19/2011
  • Location:Phoenix, Az
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2109

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:38 PM

 dcmidnight, on 16 May 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

May be a small thing but one thing I dont like about a lot of Audi models - and Mercedes too - is the static display screen that just perches there on the dash. No effort made to have it built in somehow, not retractable - just sits there.

Meh, not my thing.

The current line of A4 has a retractable display screen on the dash.  Looks like an iPad popping out of the dash.

My buddy's C300 MB also had a retractable display screen.  His was a 2014 or 2015.  He got rid of it after driving his then GF's A4.  They are now a 2 A4 family lol.

The MB's display unit broke by the way.  It stopped retracing and got stuck.  Thing was in the shop for over a week and they ended up having to replace the entire unit.  It was under warranty but imagine that bill if it's out of warranty?

Edited by SilverBullets, 16 May 2018 - 01:44 PM.

Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 910F 19*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi BB40

22

#23 JDFish

JDFish

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135069
  • Joined: 08/03/2011
  • Location:Pickerington, Ohio
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:02 PM

 SilverBullets, on 15 May 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

I'm a big fan of Audi in the luxury sedan market.  It's hard to beat the interior of the current Audis and their exterior styling is great.  I preferred the way the older audis drove over the newer ones (specifically the B7 A4 model which ended production in 2008 was my favorite but the newest one is a close second) but I still like the newer ones more than most other cars out there.

BMW makes great cars but they don't resonate with me.  It's purely a preference thing.  I don't like the way interior sets up and I don't like the setup of their electronics (the GUI).  I also don't love the exterior styling on the BMWs, although the newer ones are a step in the right direction.  BMWs are typically quicker than Audis when comparing them and do perform a bit better, but, as a daily driver and commuter car I would take the softer, slightly slower Audi over it.

I like everything about Mercedes except the way the cars drive.  I think they look good on the inside and out but I just don't like driving them. Softer, less responsive, no real sporty aspect about them until you get into an AMG line (but at that point I would personally take a M or S/RS car over an AMG).

I don't know enough about Caddy, Infiniti and Lexus to really state an opinion.  I think the new Infiniti lineup looks stunning.  I haven't driven one though so I really can't say anything else.  As for Cadillac and Lexus, I just don't like the way they look so I have never been invested in learning more about them.  Again, styling is so personal to everyone so that's not really an opinion to base a decision off of.

But yeah, I have always loved the Audi lineup.  I drove a 2008 A4 for 95k miles.  It had some small issues like switches and sensors going out but nothing critical and nothing super expensive.  Maintenance will be more expensive than a Japanese or American car. The big thing with them is to stay on top of the maintenance.  Do what's recommended, take it to a shop that knows German cars, and stay on top of it.  If you do, you will have less issues.  German cars aren't like Hondas where you can seemingly run them on water and be good to go.

This sums it up pretty well - I'm also an Audi fan (I'm on my 4th leased A4 since 2008).  They basically invented and perfected all wheel drive, since you need that.  You have to figure out the type of ride you want - Audi gives you some road feel, which I like (though the steering in my 2017 A4 is lighter than it was in my 2014).  BMW's ride firmer until you get to the high dollar/large sedans.  Their interior design seems almost anti-consumer - the electronics are hard to figure out and things aren't where you would expect them to be.  Mercedes ride less firm and feel electronically controlled to me.  Their interiors are nice, but not as well designed as Audi.  Lexus gives you a lot of tech, soft ride, and not much driving "fun".  Infiniti gives you driving "fun" and also gives you a lot of tech.  I've driven the Q50 Red and it is a beast, but it is small on the inside.  The new Genesis looks interesting, but I've not driven one - Hyundai hired a lot of Audi and BMW engineers which explains their comeuppance in the market.

Since you're buying used, look at Carmax.  I've read/heard the offer an incredible bumper to bumper warranty for purchase for not much money.
Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
Callaway XR 14.5*
Callaway XR 5 wood
Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
Evnroll ER8 33"

23

#24 Texas1

Texas1

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 392190
  • Joined: 08/20/2015
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

Bought a used E350 4matic and really like it

It was my second choice as the Audi A6 Supercharged sold 5mins before I enquired which was a pisser

Always loved Audiís and starting to really like the Merc. Nowhere near as sporty as the Black optic A6 though and would definitely have bought that one.

Every bmw that Iíve had has been shite, engine management systems always on the blink.

If it was me, audi everyday justbit was hard getting the car I wanted at my price point
Titleist 915 D2 Fujikura PRO XLR8 S
Titleist 917F2 13.5 ATTAS6 6x
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM5 54f KBS Tour V
Mizuno T7 50 & 60
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5

24

#25 mshills

mshills

    Consistently inconsistent.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139083
  • Joined: 09/13/2011
  • Location:Morris County, NJ
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 964

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

 FadeOnly, on 15 May 2018 - 10:02 AM, said:

My 2011 Lincoln MKS w/Ecoboost is running like a champ.  Only has 60k on it but it's a beast with 350HP and a similar engine to what Ford puts in their F150's.

Great call.  I have a 2013 that I have owned for a couple of years.  Would I take an E Class over it?  Sure -- but not for what I paid for my lightly-used MKS!  365 HP and if you want more -- even a lot more -- Livernois Motorsports is just a few clicks away.  :D  The 3.5L EgoBoost is proving to be a fantastic motor.  In whatever mix of driving I do, I average about 18 MPG, and I'm fine with that for a powerful full-size AWD vehicle.

Critique?  The interior packaging is not great -- center console is huge and the belt-line is really high.  The stock 20" wheels on my car punish the ride quality, I would much prefer 18" on this car.

Sedans are losing popularity so quickly that you can find great deals as everyone flocks to CUVs, and there are some other great suggestions in this thread.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg
TEE E8 Beta 16.5 deg
Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood
TEE CB Pro 3h 21 deg
Ping ISI BeCu 4i - S2
OG Ping Eye 2 BeCu LW
Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings
Custom Eliott carry bag, waxed canvas and leather

25

#26 Kyle M

Kyle M

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33100
  • Joined: 06/27/2007
  • Location:Western New York
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:53 AM

You will not beat Quattro. End of discussion. Find a 2016 or 2017 CPO S4. That has to be one of the best all around vehicles ever made. Get a set of proper snow tires and a dedicated summer tire and have fun. I loved my S4.

26

#27 CEPick

CEPick

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83060
  • Joined: 05/16/2009
  • Location:Charlottesville,VA
GolfWRX Likes : 510

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:51 PM

An Audi S-series is the antithesis of what you described.

27

#28 helmstc

helmstc

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35356
  • Joined: 07/23/2007
  • Location:Florida
  • Ebay ID:tch357
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:36 PM

I've got a 2014 ATS awd with the 2.0 turbo. Drives better than the sports cars I had when I was younger and is easy on gas. Quick, agile, comfy. Really isn't your grandfather's caddy. It's not as refined as the German cars, but what is? The bumper to bumper warranty is nice too; 4yr or 50k miles. Personally, I'm not a fan of what Infiniti (& Lexus) are doing stylistically with their front ends but I do like the angular styling of the ATS.

28

#29 cdnglf

cdnglf

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139540
  • Joined: 09/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 1373

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:52 PM

Probably a stretch to call it luxury and it isnít a sedan, but the Golf R looks fun.

29



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors