Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Odd-Ball Question...highest spin ball off driver?


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasJ2352

ThomasJ2352

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 254988
  • Joined: 06/09/2013
  • Location:Huntsville, AL
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

I typically hit a low ball...10.5 deg driver is always a low line drive with current tech...would like to go back to my small head driver with horizontal grooves...was good with high spin balatas back in the day...are there any high spin driver balls out there? Seems everyone wants low spin driver hits...could goto a 12-13 deg but want to try a ball change first...
Thanks..

Edited by ThomasJ2352, 13 May 2018 - 02:08 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 dcopp7

dcopp7

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428384
  • Joined: 06/08/2016
  • Location:Bay City, MI
  • Ebay ID:dcopp7
GolfWRX Likes : 368

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

Google high spinning golf ball brands
Ping G5 9* with UST Comp 65 or Cobra SS350 10.5* with Matrix Ozik 5.5

Tour Edge Exotics XCG 13* 3W

Cleveland Launcher 3W 15*

Synchron Vespa 19* hybrid or Dunlop Pro 18* driving iron

unknown brand 24* hybrid

Dynacraft Prophet CB flexface 6i-PW

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

TP Mills putter

2

#3 wkuo3

wkuo3

    RELEASE

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Joined: 10/24/2006
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 342

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:44 PM

High Launch and Low Spin is what trending the golf ball and driver in recent years.

If you want to launch the driver tee shot higher, either check the height of the tee ( golf ball should show at least 1/2 of the golf ball over the crown ).  

The simplest solution to launch the golf ball higher is either increase the loft or get some club head speed.  Many had hooded the driver face in hope of minimize the slicing ball flight, what it did is to deloft the driver .  Of course a little stretching and weight lifting will give you the extra club head speed to launch the golf ball higher.

Edited by wkuo3, 13 May 2018 - 07:44 PM.


3

#4 ThomasJ2352

ThomasJ2352

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 254988
  • Joined: 06/09/2013
  • Location:Huntsville, AL
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the comments...I'm finding many(most) of the highspin balls are touted as low spin off the driver...
I'm really not looking for more distance, as a big hit is around 280 but trying to get a higher launch without a new head ($)...the only high launch hits are partial sky hits...trying to stay away from 2 different swings...

4

#5 lke90

lke90

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 501284
  • Joined: 05/08/2018
  • Location:italy
  • Handicap:7,6
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:37 AM

https://blog.trackma....com/spin-rate/

hope this can help, the trend this day is to minimize the spin cause it generates more roll and more total distance with drive
you can change your angle of attack   or adjust the tee height as suggested,
also, hitting it low in the face increase spin but you might just want a higher fly trajectory and a shaft with low kick point can help

In my opinion shot trajectory should be more or less the same with a premium ball and a range ball,
there are so many variables in play
good luck!


5

#6 ThomasJ2352

ThomasJ2352

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 254988
  • Joined: 06/09/2013
  • Location:Huntsville, AL
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:17 AM

Thanks...appreciated...I remember seeing Jack for the first time at Riviera in the 70's on the 9th tee...his shot started out quite low then rose way up...spectacular!

6

#7 wkuo3

wkuo3

    RELEASE

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Joined: 10/24/2006
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 342

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

 ThomasJ2352, on 13 May 2018 - 08:54 PM, said:

Thanks for the comments...I'm finding many(most) of the highspin balls are touted as low spin off the driver...
I'm really not looking for more distance, as a big hit is around 280 but trying to get a higher launch without a new head ($)...the only high launch hits are partial sky hits...trying to stay away from 2 different swings...

Okay, In this case I think better luck finding an older model of the driver will have a better result in the search for higher driver launch.
90's and early 21st Century all have those high launch driver.   Older is not worse, Adam Scott had gone back to an 8 year old driver ( Titleist 910 D3 at the Player's ).

7

#8 Bigarch

Bigarch

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465696
  • Joined: 04/30/2017
  • Location:Herrin, IL
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 537

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:27 PM

OP, I've had the same question and I know exactly what you are talking about.  A lot of the newer golf balls just do NOT spin enough to get airborne on a good trajectory when using a classic persimmon driver.  Good luck finding any test data.  I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this question either.
  • Driver - Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5* Fujukura Pro 60
  • Fairway - Adams Fairway Blue 16* Stock Slim Tech Stiff
  • Hybrid -  Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Fujikura S +.5"
  • 4-PW- Mizuno JPX EX Forged +1.25"
  • Wedges - 52, 56, 60 Cleveland 588 RTX 588 Apollo MatchFlex +1"
  • Putter - Cleveland Classic 10  - 34.5"

8

#9 HoganApexBlades

HoganApexBlades

    ...Be the ball, Be the ball Danny...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249580
  • Joined: 05/08/2013
  • Location:Northern Illinois - Chicagoland
GolfWRX Likes : 1508

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

 ThomasJ2352, on 14 May 2018 - 07:17 AM, said:

Thanks...appreciated...I remember seeing Jack for the first time at Riviera in the 70's on the 9th tee...his shot started out quite low then rose way up...spectacular!

TJ,

That was the characteristic of the old BALATA golf ball, low launch, elevating every 75 yds to the next plateau just like a carrier-launched, fighter jet.

Those were the most gorgeous flight paths a golf ball could take...Oh, to be back in the '70s and '80s again....
CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

9

#10 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 1142

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

 ThomasJ2352, on 13 May 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

I typically hit a low ball...10.5 deg driver is always a low line drive with current tech...would like to go back to my small head driver with horizontal grooves...was good with high spin balatas back in the day...are there any high spin driver balls out there? Seems everyone wants low spin driver hits...could goto a 12-13 deg but want to try a ball change first...
Thanks..

How do you know you need a spinier ball ?

Do you have any launch monitor data to back up your,,,,,,,,,,,,, question ?

How much of that "big hit 280" is carry ?

Edited by nsxguy, 21 May 2018 - 07:27 PM.

Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*
Ping G20 5-U, DG S300
Cleveland RTX-3 56* SW & 64* LW
TaylorMade Tour Spider Black

Chrome Soft TruvisYellow

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

    Sťamus is 1 yr old now!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72626
  • Joined: 01/12/2009
  • Location:Minnesota, USA
  • Ebay ID:n.r.jyzr
GolfWRX Likes : 4663

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:10 AM

 HoganApexBlades, on 21 May 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

 ThomasJ2352, on 14 May 2018 - 07:17 AM, said:

Thanks...appreciated...I remember seeing Jack for the first time at Riviera in the 70's on the 9th tee...his shot started out quite low then rose way up...spectacular!

TJ,

That was the characteristic of the old BALATA golf ball, low launch, elevating every 75 yds to the next plateau just like a carrier-launched, fighter jet.

Those were the most gorgeous flight paths a golf ball could take...Oh, to be back in the '70s and '80s again....

I can't agree with that.  The low riser is essentially a ballooning shot.  On an upwind shot, your distance would get killed.
The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver:  R9 SuperDeep, NV85 X at 43½" --or-- SLDR White, RIP Alpha 80 X at 43.5"

3w:  TEE E8 Beta 12°, Rogue Silver 70 X at 43"

2h Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400 tipped slightly

3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S --or-- 1-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, DGS400 (toggle 1i and 2h above)

SW:  Ram Tom Watson 55°, DGX ss2x
LW:  Maltby Design 60°, DGS300 tipped 1"
SW:  Ram Troon Grind 58°, Dynamic S (with 1-PW set, replacing SW/LW above)
Putter:  Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
Balls:  in no particular order...  Wilson Staff FG Tour or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV
Shoes by True Linkswear
Pure Pro grips, various colors (also trying Royal X-Treme V)

11

#12 ThomasJ2352

ThomasJ2352

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 254988
  • Joined: 06/09/2013
  • Location:Huntsville, AL
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:21 PM

 nsxguy, on 21 May 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

 ThomasJ2352, on 13 May 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

I typically hit a low ball...10.5 deg driver is always a low line drive with current tech...would like to go back to my small head driver with horizontal grooves...was good with high spin balatas back in the day...are there any high spin driver balls out there? Seems everyone wants low spin driver hits...could goto a 12-13 deg but want to try a ball change first...
Thanks..

How do you know you need a spinier ball ?

Do you have any launch monitor data to back up your,,,,,,,,,,,,, question ?

How much of that "big hit 280" is carry ?

My 190cc driver or persimmon driver with horizontal grooves...were designed to impart backspin on the ball to
make the shot rise...instead of knuckleballing it like is now the desire...My drives stay low due to, I think, low spin
(driver speeds) balls...I'm looking to use my older drivers but the new tech balls are preventing that....hence, the
quest for high spin balls...I dont want to have 2 types of swings...one, an upward cut with a driver - then the other
for everything else...didnt used to be that way...

Launch monitor info?...I do not...too pricey for me...

280 yds carry?...its prolly close to 240 carry with lots of roll-out

12

#13 ThomasJ2352

ThomasJ2352

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 254988
  • Joined: 06/09/2013
  • Location:Huntsville, AL
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:36 PM

 NRJyzr, on 22 May 2018 - 08:10 AM, said:

 HoganApexBlades, on 21 May 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

 ThomasJ2352, on 14 May 2018 - 07:17 AM, said:

Thanks...appreciated...I remember seeing Jack for the first time at Riviera in the 70's on the 9th tee...his shot started out quite low then rose way up...spectacular!

TJ,

That was the characteristic of the old BALATA golf ball, low launch, elevating every 75 yds to the next plateau just like a carrier-launched, fighter jet.

Those were the most gorgeous flight paths a golf ball could take...Oh, to be back in the '70s and '80s again....

I can't agree with that.  The low riser is essentially a ballooning shot.  On an upwind shot, your distance would get killed.

You make an interesting point...reminds me of an interview of Hale Erwin (sp?) with David Faherty where he was telling
of an experience he had some years back...playing with a group of younger guys on a very windy day he was remarking how
its important to read the wind...play low when going into it...the young guys just smiled and said why...all you need to
do just swing away because with the new equipment wind has hardly any affect....
My comment to your point would be that the pro's who played with the older gear...say from the 30's into late 90's or so
(someone else with better knowledge of years could true up my guesses) knew how to play the wind quite successfully.

I guess the bottom line is that its a vastly different game enabled by permitted equipment technology advancements.
Wish there was a way to play the old drivers the way they were designed though.....

13

#14 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 1142

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:40 PM

 ThomasJ2352, on 22 May 2018 - 07:21 PM, said:

 nsxguy, on 21 May 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

 ThomasJ2352, on 13 May 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

I typically hit a low ball...10.5 deg driver is always a low line drive with current tech...would like to go back to my small head driver with horizontal grooves...was good with high spin balatas back in the day...are there any high spin driver balls out there? Seems everyone wants low spin driver hits...could goto a 12-13 deg but want to try a ball change first...
Thanks..

How do you know you need a spinier ball ?

Do you have any launch monitor data to back up your,,,,,,,,,,,,, question ?

How much of that "big hit 280" is carry ?

My 190cc driver or persimmon driver with horizontal grooves...were designed to impart backspin on the ball to
make the shot rise...instead of knuckleballing it like is now the desire...My drives stay low due to, I think, low spin
(driver speeds) balls...I'm looking to use my older drivers but the new tech balls are preventing that....hence, the
quest for high spin balls...I dont want to have 2 types of swings...one, an upward cut with a driver - then the other
for everything else...didnt used to be that way...

Launch monitor info?...I do not...too pricey for me...

280 yds carry?...its prolly close to 240 carry with lots of roll-out

OK, firstly, nobody is suggesting anybody hit knuckleballs.

Secondly ALL drivers produce backspin, horizontal grooves or not.

Thirdly you don't have to BUY a launch monitor. You could probably take your driver into pretty much any golf shop and demo a current driver and hit yours alongside the newer one and get your numbers.

Swing speed, best I can tell, is around 98 or so. So you're saying you're hitting a 190cc persimmon head ? 240 carry and about 40 roll out ? If so, don't change a thing. A spinier ball (you don't say which ball you're using) will cost you distance and/or roll out at almost launch angle. Check out flightscope.com

And I believe balls are harder today, another reason why nobody hits persimmon any more. Wonder how long that driver head will last ? How long have you been hitting it ?

And BTW, it is not a "vastly different game". If you think the wind in your face matters not at all or that balls don't balloon anymore, you're just kidding yourself.
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*
Ping G20 5-U, DG S300
Cleveland RTX-3 56* SW & 64* LW
TaylorMade Tour Spider Black

Chrome Soft TruvisYellow

14

#15 Nard_S

Nard_S

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
  • Joined: 08/21/2014
  • Location:Norwalk, CT
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 1714

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:36 PM

Pro V  X1 is as close to a wound ball performance spin wise as I have tried.


15

#16 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
  • Joined: 04/18/2011
  • Location:James Island SC
GolfWRX Likes : 3978

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:45 AM

Iíve, over the last few years, tried just about every reputable ball out there with a persimmon, and, although, each has itís own nuances and unique fingerprint, I havenít found one that is head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to distance and/or accuracy off the driver.
Right now my criteria for picking a ball is how it feels coming off my putter.
If I was getting 240 carry with persimmon at the moment, and, the ball worked in the short game, Iíd be stocking up on that brand before they changed the recipe.

16

#17 Nard_S

Nard_S

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
  • Joined: 08/21/2014
  • Location:Norwalk, CT
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 1714

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:33 AM

On eBay, there are Maxfli HT 100, NOS circa 1999. I burned through a couple of boxes over the last few years and they work just fine and are not all that different than modern ball in distance wise. They do have more initial spin though and go longer down wind but shorter up. Pro V is better on the greens though.

The low launch, late apex trajectory is not a balloon shot, that is what you are supposed to get on a solid strike with persimmon. To play into wind, you tee it lower and go smoother with pass. 250-260 yards is quite good for that gear.

17



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors