Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best way to test for the best golf ball???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Techgolfer1

Techgolfer1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162287
  • Ebay ID:twoupgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:35 PM

Ok I’m very confident that the golf balls I’m about to list are good for me and perform around the greens. I’ve had extensive time on the course with each one. I just wanted to get that out of the way because if someone or any manufacturer is asked the best way to test a golf ball is to start at the green first. All feel pretty good as well.

My buddy has an indoor simulator with screen and a foresight quad that’s unreal...

The balls I’m going to test are both Bridgestone Tour Bs, Pro V1, Chrome Soft and the TP5. I’m confident that I can play well with any of these balls. I wasn’t a fan on the Pro Vx or Chrome X. TP5x is no good for me around the greens.

So all that being said and what we know; what should I be looking for? Which one is longer? Should I just test Driver? Should I test a particular iron and full swing wedge?

Any tips from folks is much appreciated. I have all these balls currently.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 KAndyMan

KAndyMan

JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497560
  • Handicap:many
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:52 PM

How i test-
1-Feel with putter
2-Feel/spin off 10-15yrd pitch shots
3-Feel/Flight/Spin off full 52 or 56 wedge
4-Feel/Flight/Spin off 7 or 8 iron
Driver is kinda irrelevant to me as long as it doesnt completely fall out of the sky or feel too firm. They are all going to be within reasonable distance of each other.

You have to figure out before you start testing by knowing what YOU want in a ball.
Decide what kind of spin you want off your wedge.
Decide if you want a ball that flies high or low off your 7 iron.
Decide what feel you want off your putter.

And while having the sweet set up your buddy has is mega helpful i would strongly suggest doing some on course testing before buying 5 dozen anything. You will see somethings act different on the course

#3 Techgolfer1

Techgolfer1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162287
  • Ebay ID:twoupgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:50 PM

View PostKAndyMan, on 12 May 2018 - 09:52 PM, said:

How i test-
1-Feel with putter
2-Feel/spin off 10-15yrd pitch shots
3-Feel/Flight/Spin off full 52 or 56 wedge
4-Feel/Flight/Spin off 7 or 8 iron
Driver is kinda irrelevant to me as long as it doesnt completely fall out of the sky or feel too firm. They are all going to be within reasonable distance of each other.

You have to figure out before you start testing by knowing what YOU want in a ball.
Decide what kind of spin you want off your wedge.
Decide if you want a ball that flies high or low off your 7 iron.
Decide what feel you want off your putter.

And while having the sweet set up your buddy has is mega helpful i would strongly suggest doing some on course testing before buying 5 dozen anything. You will see somethings act different on the course

Pretty good tips.

I think the TP5, Chrome Soft and Tour B XS all feel the best. ProV1 is pretty close too. I have extensive on course testing with all of these really but they’re all so good it’s tough to decide. Last year I took the Tour BX, ProV1 and the TP5 out one afternoon when no one was around. For 4 holes I hit all three off the tee. I was anywhere from 5-15 yards longer with the Tour BX that particular day on every hole I did the test. I was really surprised to be honest.

I’ve not noticed anything in particular that would turn my off on the flight of any of these balls. I think I’ll hit some wedges, 7 iron and Driver with each ball on machine and see if I see anything crazy and try to narrow it down.

It does appear that the flight of the ProV1, Chrome Soft and Tour Bx are the best. It does appear that they seem to jump a hair more off the driver.

The reason I’m going to his machine next is because I’ve used them a lot on the course and I really can’t make up my mind.

I played TP5 last year and have 6 dozen built up from tournaments. I have a feeling I like the new Chrome soft and the Tour Bx a bit better now as far as performance. As far as feel ProV1, Chrome Soft and TP5 are best for me. I’m leaning TP5 as the best overall feel. I played the Tour BXS today and it feels nice but I’m not totally sure on the performance yet.

I have heard that Titleist and Bridgestone are likely the most consistent balls from a manufacturing standpoint for what that’s worth. I’m sure Callaway and TM are good too though.
I change too much to list it. Working on that...

#4 SNIPERBBB

SNIPERBBB

Hit Ball Hard

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79142
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 504

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:45 AM

Having a bit of a contrarian streak...if you have a selection of balls that play about the same, I would tend to pick the odd-ball of the group.
2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors