Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

I think my Taylormade driver is fake

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lilgarcia

lilgarcia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37764
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:47 PM

In March i bought a burner driver and rescue and now i think they are fake. The rescue doesnt have a serial number and the drivers serial number is lighter than the one in my home club. It says Head made in china, shaft made in china and assembled in china on mine but the one in the store says assembled in usa shaft in china and head in china..

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 muxi87

muxi87

muxi87

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32234
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:49 PM

:lol:

with pics, we could tell ya yes or no pretty quick though...

#3 lilgarcia

lilgarcia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37764

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

dó not have any pics but trust me it looks realy alike the real one. If it would be a fake then it would be the best fake ever

#4 wildwilly911

wildwilly911

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21429
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:50 PM

call TM and give them the serial number

#5 BFC

BFC

Tour Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42750
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:53 PM

See if a magnet will stick to the face....

#6 jzatl04

jzatl04

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3152
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:12 PM

View Postlilgarcia, on May 7 2008, 02:58 PM, said:

dó not have any pics but trust me it looks realy alike the real one. If it would be a fake then it would be the best fake ever

All of the counterfeits I've seen look pretty similar to an authentic unless you spend a lot of time around clubs (like I do:).  Pictures would really help.  I've seen several counterfeits of Callaway, Cleveland, and TM clubs and these are the tell-tale signs I noticed:
Slightly (very slightly) different shaft color scheme.  Have to compare side-by-side with one you know for certain is real.
Grip has very little or no taper (i.e. the entire grip is almost the same diameter).
Wider/narrower or shorter/longer scoring lines.
Swingweight is way off.
Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, find some calipers or someone who has good eyes and take it to your proshop to compare.
Covert Tour Fubuki Tour 63 X
Exotics CB1 15º Aldila VS Proto 80 X
Idea Pro 18º, Airmuscle 21º VS Proto X
VR Pro Blades 4-PW X100 SL
VR Pro 54º, X Tour 60º S400
Nike Method 001

#7 wildwilly911

wildwilly911

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21429

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:22 PM

the biggest thing youll notice is the sound, alot of the counterfeits are made of aluminum

#8 Furrankee

Furrankee

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14382

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:23 PM

View PostBFC, on May 7 2008, 03:53 PM, said:

See if a magnet will stick to the face....

LOL. I'm going to China this winter. I'll go do an expedition where I'll find some of these fake golfing factories. I'll take pictures, take photos with the employees. Buy them dim sum. Get them drunk. Have them spill the beans on their counterfeit golf club industry. The whole nine yards.

Edited by furrankee, 07 May 2008 - 10:26 PM.

#9 supercharger

supercharger

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50034
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:01 PM

A quick way is to run your finger along the outside top edge of the toe around back to the hosel.  A taylormade will be smooth and perfectly curved, a fake will feel like a bumpy road.  The naked eye cannot tell the difference.  I do not know which model you have but if  it is a superquad there are many more ways, about 5 easy ones off the top of my head.  These people are good especially when you use calipers to compare the score lines, face dimensions and such, but the stuff most people would not even think about is where it is easy to tell.

#10 bulldog8b

bulldog8b

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49673

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:14 PM

View Postsupercharger, on May 8 2008, 06:01 PM, said:

A quick way is to run your finger along the outside top edge of the toe around back to the hosel. A taylormade will be smooth and perfectly curved, a fake will feel like a bumpy road. The naked eye cannot tell the difference. I do not know which model you have but if it is a superquad there are many more ways, about 5 easy ones off the top of my head. These people are good especially when you use calipers to compare the score lines, face dimensions and such, but the stuff most people would not even think about is where it is easy to tell.

What is it w/ superquads?  I would really like to know.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 supercharger

supercharger

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50034
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

The r7 on the face will line up with the top score line instead of being a fraction higher.  The weight ports will be drilled off center from  the housing and the threads will a bronze color instead of titanium silver.  The matt silver paint will be of poor quality with casting marks .  The i.d. of the hosel will be around .350 instead of .335.  The weights will look like the real ones only a bronze color mainly on the tip.  The inside of the face will not have the inverted cone.  This is for the tp model.

#12 ezra76

ezra76

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25285
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:40 PM

See if it floats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic