Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Difference between boys and girls in junior golf

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CTgolf

CTgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:07 AM

For those who have raised/coached both, what are the main differences in terms of timing, development, milestones, etc.?

Do the varying maturity cycles change teaching style or what to focus on?

Seems like junior girls' tournament participation is much lower - how early should they start playing?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 golfertony

golfertony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 498324
  • Ebay ID:acarruba50
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:42 AM

View PostCTgolf, on 11 May 2018 - 07:07 AM, said:

For those who have raised/coached both, what are the main differences in terms of timing, development, milestones, etc.?

Seems like junior girls' tournament participation is much lower - how early should they start playing?

Girls and boys both go through body adjustments as they mature. Some really excel when they hit growth spurts and other have a harder time adjusting to it.

I think as far as coaching styles it depends on age and the personality of the student. Just like adults some of the players will be feel oriented and others will have technical needs. I have always been a firm believer in the green to tee teaching method. The majority of shots we hit are from 100 and in.

I say play them as early as you want. Being motivated to go out and play can be a difficult thing. There are a lot more distractions and things that compete for a young persons attention. If they have an interest it really makes it a lot easier obviously. If you can get them involved in youth programs like the first tee. If things get serious and they want to get better find a swing coach you both trust.

#3 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1373

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:31 AM

I have both and they are night and day.  Can't answer what you are asking because my daughter didn't start playing until she was almost 13.  She missed the early developmental stages so I can't compare to my son who started playing when he was 5.

Junior Girls Tournament participation is lower because there are less girl's playing.  It has gotten much better, however, than it was just 5 years ago.  5 years ago there were scholarships going unused for girl's.  Today there are not.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 11 May 2018 - 11:42 AM.

#4 BertGA

BertGA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:07 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 11 May 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

I have both and they are night and day.  Can't answer what you are asking because my daughter didn't start playing until she was almost 13.  She missed the early developmental stages so I can't compare to my son who started playing when he was 5.

Junior Girls Tournament participation is lower because there are less girl's playing.  It has gotten much better, however, than it was just 5 years ago.  5 years ago there were scholarships going unused for girl's.  Today there are not.

I'm curious what you think the biggest factor is with girl's scholarships filling up now. Is it an increase in domestic interest, or an increase in the number of international players? Both?

I haven't been following for long, my daughter is only 9 and she has only been playing for a few years. I can't really say if more girls are entering her tournaments. But when I look at the rosters of most D1 schools, nearly half are international. Top schools the ratio of international is even higher. Some only have 2-3 domestic girls on the team.

#5 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:37 AM

I don't have boys but I have talked to lots of other who do about the differences. To me it seems there is more pressure on girls doing higher profile tournaments when they are younger.  I think it's crazy but I've seen dads who think they need to be in the US open qualifier by the time there 13 or 14 or there girls are going to get left behind. also aging up is much more common on girls then boys to seek out better competition.

Boys on the other hand have a much harder time because the distance jumps up a lot. If there slower at maturing there not going to be able to win until they get older. I don't know of 10 and 11 year old boys who think they can qualify for the US open or get on the PGA before there 18 unlike a lot girls out there today.

Edited by tiger1873, 14 May 2018 - 06:39 AM.

#6 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:11 AM

View PostBertGA, on 13 May 2018 - 09:07 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 11 May 2018 - 08:31 AM, said:

I'm curious what you think the biggest factor is with girl's scholarships filling up now. Is it an increase in domestic interest, or an increase in the number of international players? Both?

I haven't been following for long, my daughter is only 9 and she has only been playing for a few years. I can't really say if more girls are entering her tournaments. But when I look at the rosters of most D1 schools, nearly half are international. Top schools the ratio of international is even higher. Some only have 2-3 domestic girls on the team.

I was waiting until today to answer this so I could type it out on my CPU.

There are more girl's playing golf now than there were 5 years ago.  This is the easy answer.

There is a reason you see international girl's playing on college teams.  It will also never go away because of the scholarship limits.  Many of the international players that you see on rosters do not take away from the allocation of 6 scholarships allotted to women's golf.  These players, in many cases, are being paid for by the countries government they are coming from.  Since they are having their tuition and expenses paid for by their home country, it saves the colleges money as well as scholarships.  Even if the country will pay for partial, it saves the program money and scholarship distribution.  If a program can recruit 3 girl's at 50% scholarship money, they then can go out and recruit the better playing domestic girl's and give them full rides.  This does not only happen in golf, but any sport at the collegiate level that aren't head count sports.  Head count sports are sports where the only option is to offer a full ride.  

You then have the situation where some schools will offer primarily international players.  Rumor in the recruiting world is Duke's coach only likes to recruit International Students so he doesn't have to deal with meddling domestic parents.  If you look at his roster, he very rarely has more than 7 girl's on it and rarely any more than 2 domestic born players at any one time.  The other issue is that players domestically feel entitled, don't work hard, and complain about  everything because they never had to earn anything.  The domestic players don't appreciate what is being done for them and in most cases expect more than what they are getting.  I can assure you, after my daughter's first year in school, there is a lot of truth to all of this.  Many of the domestic players don't understand what coaching is either because they have always been pampered.  This just isn't in golf either as this is happening in all sports domestically.  International players, for the most part, are very appreciative to be here and getting an education.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 15 May 2018 - 08:15 AM.

#7 BertGA

BertGA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:16 PM

Heavy, I appreciate the insight

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:16 AM

View PostBertGA, on 14 May 2018 - 08:16 PM, said:

Yep.  I could've written a book on this, but didn't want to bore everyone.  The sports/athletics world has changed so much because of parents and travel ball coaches.  It hasn't changed for the better either.

#9 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 15 May 2018 - 08:16 AM, said:

View PostBertGA, on 14 May 2018 - 08:16 PM, said:

Yep.  I could've written a book on this, but didn't want to bore everyone.  The sports/athletics world has changed so much because of parents and travel ball coaches.  It hasn't changed for the better either.

Please do. Preach!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors