Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What are your juniors doing and what should I be doing?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bub72ck

bub72ck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29752
  • Handicap:+1.4
  • Ebay ID:ifly330
GolfWRX Likes : 496

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

My son is 6 and we have had him on/around the golf course for three seasons now.  His hand/eye coordination seems to be pretty good and he makes contact more often than not.  His best drives are between 75-100 yards.  I am trying to teach him basic rules and etiquette.  Putting is still a challenge but we're learning and having fun.  He seems to like golf more than other sports and wants to go to the course any time we offer.  We went to the range the other day and a family with several kids were hitting next to us.  He immediately thought he "was at a kids tournament" and starting warming up for a competition.  This surprised me that he seemed excited to compete but we're a long way from that right now.  What are/were your kids doing at this age and beyond?  Also, what should I be doing to help him develop skills without being overbearing?  My wife and I are both accomplished players but neither of us are skilled in instruction.  When did you start with lessons to help build solid fundamentals?  I have a friend that works with juniors and thought maybe one lesson per month might be a good start.  

Appreciate your input.

Titleist 915 D2 9.5* Fuji Motore TS 6.2X
Taylormade HFS Diamana Blue 83X
Taylormade Rescue 09 TP Aldila XVS9
Titleist 714 AP2 TT DGX100 4-PW
Vokey SM5 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

I would say, generally, spend nearly all if not all of your time together doing short game games - putting and chipping games and maybe drills (disguised as games, haha). From there, build slowly to longer shots and clubs.....no rush.    It was never the plan but all we did for over the 1st year was fun putting games., kinda figured it best to start there and slowly build up.  Not a new concept, but makes sense.    I am far from an expert, just a 11 hcp hack golf dad, but it worked well for my son so take it for what itís worth.

#3 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2000

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:14 PM

Needs to spend more than 50% of the time putting.  When he swings full swing, doesn’t matter where it goes.  He just needs to learn to swing as fast as humanly possible.

#4 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 258

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:18 AM

If he likes golf and practices does he listen to you? It's hard to teach your own kids so be very honest with yourself.  If he does listen to you then teach him if not I would look for group lessons. Can you take him to a par 3 course and will he play 9 holes with you? If they answer is yes go ahead and put in tournaments with not expectations.  If not he's not ready.

If your looking for professional instruction I would look for group lessons. Make sure it not a place that just babysits the kids but teaches them rules and even goes out on the course for a few holes. If you can't find good group lessons look for someone who good teacher who juniors and has an assistant that can teach 30 minute sessions.

Edited by tiger1873, 14 May 2018 - 08:15 AM.

#5 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 779

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:17 PM

We went and played a few holes after a big tournament at our course today. Hit a few shots here and there but mostly searched for lost golf balls. Found a dozen or so pro vs in just three holes (very narrow course that has lots of trees and barrancas). Left about forty balls in the cart that weren't worthy of being carried out to the car.  Hit some stupid flop shots, tried to learn a trap draw, purposely hit from one greenside bunker to the one on the other side of the green and hit some of those impossible putts from different places on the greens. All I know is that he wants to go back and we had fun hanging out. We're making memories here people!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors