Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best Hilton Head Courses


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jcg132

jcg132

    PTPOTCW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428230
  • Joined: 06/07/2016
  • Ebay ID:jcg132
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:32 PM

Taking a family vacation to Hilton Head this July - looking for course recommendations.

1) My dad and I are already booked for Harbour Town. Any other recommendations?

2) We may bring the ladies (that don't play much) to one round so any easier courses in HH that are still nice and me and pops would enjoy?

Thanks in advance.

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero "L Stamp" 8° - Aldila SYNERGY Black Graphene Tour PROTO 65 TX (44.5", D4.5)
Callaway Rogue 15° - Mitsubishi Chemical TENSEI CK Pro White 70 Stiff (42.75", Tipped 0.5", 1.0° Flat, D6)
Callaway Rogue Hybrid 19° - VA Composites Raijin Hybrid 84 Four (Tipped 0.5", D4)
Callaway Epic Hybrid 22° - Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 85 Stiff (D4)
PXG 0311 5-7 - Oban CT-115 Stiff (1.0° Upright, D4)
PXG 0311T 8-9 - Oban CT-115 Stiff (1.0° Strong, 1.0° Upright, D4)
PXG 0311T PW - Oban CT-115 Stiff (1.0° Strong, 1.0° Upright, D5)
Vokey SM6 Raw 50.08°F - Oban CT-115 Stiff (+0.25", D5.5)
Vokey SM6 Raw 55.09°S - Oban CT-115 Stiff (+0.25", D6)
Vokey SM6 Raw 60.08°M - Oban CT-115 Stiff (+0.25", D6.5)
Scotty Cameron 009M Carbon - 34", 3.5°, 70°



Titleist ProV1 / Titleist AVX / Wilson Staff Duo Urethane / Kirkland Signature
Golf Pride MCC Plus4
FootJoy Pure Touch Limited
Sun Mountain C130S


WITB

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 HackerDave

HackerDave

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57404
  • Joined: 06/06/2008
  • Location:Michigan & Hilton Head SC
  • Handicap:11.6
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:33 PM

Not sure where you are staying, but Atlantic Dunes in Sea Pines is very nice.  Other nice tracks worth playing are Heron Point (Sea Pines), Jones at Palmetto Dunes, Oyster Reef and CCof HHI in Hilton Head Plantation.   The Arthur Hills course in Palmetto Hall is also nice.  The Cupp course in PH is also nice but probably a stiffer test than the wives would like.

2

#3 jmac13

jmac13

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55800
  • Joined: 05/14/2008
  • Location:Guntersville, AL
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:46 PM

Old South would be one I would consider lady friendly and still a solid track...

3

#4 mamontan

mamontan

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159923
  • Joined: 02/03/2012
  • Location:Columbia, MD and Hilton Head Island, SC
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

For the ladies that don't play often, I would look for courses with wider fairways and fewer forced carries. I would try Hilton Head National, Dolphin Head, or Bear Creek. There are a couple other courses in Bluffton that fit the bill as well.

4

#5 jcg132

jcg132

    PTPOTCW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428230
  • Joined: 06/07/2016
  • Ebay ID:jcg132
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

Thanks - great recommendations guys!

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero "L Stamp" 8° - Aldila SYNERGY Black Graphene Tour PROTO 65 TX (44.5", D4.5)
Callaway Rogue 15° - Mitsubishi Chemical TENSEI CK Pro White 70 Stiff (42.75", Tipped 0.5", 1.0° Flat, D6)
Callaway Rogue Hybrid 19° - VA Composites Raijin Hybrid 84 Four (Tipped 0.5", D4)
Callaway Epic Hybrid 22° - Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 85 Stiff (D4)
PXG 0311 5-7 - Oban CT-115 Stiff (1.0° Upright, D4)
PXG 0311T 8-9 - Oban CT-115 Stiff (1.0° Strong, 1.0° Upright, D4)
PXG 0311T PW - Oban CT-115 Stiff (1.0° Strong, 1.0° Upright, D5)
Vokey SM6 Raw 50.08°F - Oban CT-115 Stiff (+0.25", D5.5)
Vokey SM6 Raw 55.09°S - Oban CT-115 Stiff (+0.25", D6)
Vokey SM6 Raw 60.08°M - Oban CT-115 Stiff (+0.25", D6.5)
Scotty Cameron 009M Carbon - 34", 3.5°, 70°



Titleist ProV1 / Titleist AVX / Wilson Staff Duo Urethane / Kirkland Signature
Golf Pride MCC Plus4
FootJoy Pure Touch Limited
Sun Mountain C130S


WITB

5

#6 NCLancer

NCLancer

    from Northern New York to The Triangle

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263156
  • Joined: 07/11/2013
  • Location:Hillsborough, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:03 PM

My wife and I visited in mid-March and we played Dolphin Head and Old South.  Both were fair set-ups and in nice shape.  Old South does have a few holes with water and forced carries so a few extra balls may be needed.   We paid $75 at Dolphin Head and $55 at Old South and felt that Old South was the better course and better value.  Enjoy.

6

#7 cristphoto

cristphoto

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
  • Joined: 11/30/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 589

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:30 PM

We were there a few years ago. Played the courses at Palmetto Dunes then spent a couple days over in Savannah at Savannah Harbor. It was less than an hour away. Also Savannah had much more night life than Hilton Head if thatís a consideration.

7

#8 T-MAC

T-MAC

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 220713
  • Joined: 01/09/2013
  • Location:USA
GolfWRX Likes : 938

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:01 PM

I'm a local and agree with most of the comments above.  Only thing I might disagree with is taking the ladies to Bear Creek or Hilton Head National.  Both are tree-lined courses and pretty tight - especially Bear Creek.  I would also keep the ladies off Oyster Reef.  Waaaay too many bunkers.
Eagles Point might be  a good track for the ladies and you guys should also like it.  The Arthur Hills courses in Palmetto Hall and Palmetto Dunes would also be good.

Have fun!

8

#9 NCLancer

NCLancer

    from Northern New York to The Triangle

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263156
  • Joined: 07/11/2013
  • Location:Hillsborough, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:15 AM

Just saw where www.groupgolfer.com has an Old South discount special available right now for $35.  Nice price for a nice course.  Redemption begins 6/1 and goes thru 9/1.

9

#10 3PuttHero

3PuttHero

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443846
  • Joined: 10/15/2016
  • Location:Monroe, NY
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

 NCLancer, on 19 May 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

Just saw where www.groupgolfer.com has an Old South discount special available right now for $35.  Nice price for a nice course.  Redemption begins 6/1 and goes thru 9/1.

Thanks for the deal, the family spends time there every August, just picked up a foursome.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 deathbymuffin

deathbymuffin

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181018
  • Joined: 05/14/2012
  • Location:San Diego
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:08 AM

I'm in Hilton Head right now.  So far I've played Dolphin Head, Old South and Hilton Head National. Will play Palmetto Hall Cupp course tomorrow. All nice courses.

Dolphin Head was the least memorable, but it was in nice shape, especially the greens.  

Old South is in great shape tee to green and has some unique holes through the marshlands, but the greens were slow as molasses. Still, I'd recommend it.

Hilton Head National has been my favorite. Perfect conditioning and lovely tree lined old school Southern layout. Kind of an everyman's Augusta.

11

#12 T-MAC

T-MAC

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 220713
  • Joined: 01/09/2013
  • Location:USA
GolfWRX Likes : 938

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:13 AM

 deathbymuffin, on 25 May 2018 - 01:08 AM, said:

I'm in Hilton Head right now.  So far I've played Dolphin Head, Old South and Hilton Head National. Will play Palmetto Hall Cupp course tomorrow. All nice courses.

Dolphin Head was the least memorable, but it was in nice shape, especially the greens.  

Old South is in great shape tee to green and has some unique holes through the marshlands, but the greens were slow as molasses. Still, I'd recommend it.

Hilton Head National has been my favorite. Perfect conditioning and lovely tree lined old school Southern layout. Kind of an everyman's Augusta.

All good choices, although I personally prefer the Hills course in Palmetto Hall over the Cupp, but the Cupp course isn't bad.
I don't know what the deal is with Old South and their slow greens.  They've been keeping them hairy / slow during the summers for the past few years now for some reason - especially if you play later in the day and the grass has grown.  The best time to play Old South has been in the cooler months.  Greens are slick but still in decent condition.
Agree with Dolphin Head.  Not memorable, but good condition.  There are other courses in Hilton Head Plantation (where Dolphin Head is located) that I would recommend.  Bear Creek, Oyster Reef, and CC of Hilton Head are all better layouts than Dolphin Head IMO.
Have fun while you're here!

12

#13 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Joined: 07/27/2005
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ
  • Handicap:12.9
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 707

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:09 PM

Check Daufuskie Island for an awesome day trip

Edited by DrSchteeve, 25 May 2018 - 08:10 PM.

Callaway Epic Driver Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Callaway Epic 3+ wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Titleist 818 H1 18* and 21* Tensei Blue and 25* Tensei Red Hybrids
Titleist 816 AP1 6-GW Kuro Kage regular
Scratch DD 53 and 60
TM Tour Spider Day with Bettinardi spider CB long grip
OUUL stand bag
Titleist NXT Tour/Tour Soft

13

#14 deathbymuffin

deathbymuffin

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181018
  • Joined: 05/14/2012
  • Location:San Diego
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:48 PM

 T-MAC, on 25 May 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

 deathbymuffin, on 25 May 2018 - 01:08 AM, said:

I'm in Hilton Head right now.  So far I've played Dolphin Head, Old South and Hilton Head National. Will play Palmetto Hall Cupp course tomorrow. All nice courses.

Dolphin Head was the least memorable, but it was in nice shape, especially the greens.  

Old South is in great shape tee to green and has some unique holes through the marshlands, but the greens were slow as molasses. Still, I'd recommend it.

Hilton Head National has been my favorite. Perfect conditioning and lovely tree lined old school Southern layout. Kind of an everyman's Augusta.

All good choices, although I personally prefer the Hills course in Palmetto Hall over the Cupp, but the Cupp course isn't bad.
I don't know what the deal is with Old South and their slow greens.  They've been keeping them hairy / slow during the summers for the past few years now for some reason - especially if you play later in the day and the grass has grown.  The best time to play Old South has been in the cooler months.  Greens are slick but still in decent condition.
Agree with Dolphin Head.  Not memorable, but good condition.  There are other courses in Hilton Head Plantation (where Dolphin Head is located) that I would recommend.  Bear Creek, Oyster Reef, and CC of Hilton Head are all better layouts than Dolphin Head IMO.
Have fun while you're here!

Palmetto Hall wasn't finished with their aerification of the Cupp course, so they sent us out on the Hills course this morning.  Again, really enjoyed the layout. (helps that I carded three birdies on the back, including a 7 iron to 4' on 18 :)). Tree lined with quite a few doglegs and a handful of holes with water coming into play off the tee. A couple of holes with houses nearby, but otherwise set completely among the woods. Greens were in great shape. Good pace and rolling true. Fairways and tee boxes were in fine condition, and unlike the other courses we've played the Hills actually had some real rough, particularly in the areas around the greens. Great short game practice area and a nice grass range too.

All in all, some really fine golf on this trip. And a nice change of pace from the desert and canyon layouts I'm accustomed to playing in Southern California.

14



1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


    bwantland

GolfWRX Sponsors