Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Help me dream of retirement


54 replies to this topic

#31 jmtbkr

jmtbkr

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122982
  • Joined: 02/24/2011
  • Location:Palm Beach Gardens & Long Island
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:43 PM

View PostSwisstrader98, on 12 May 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

View Postschley, on 12 May 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

A couple points:  Florida will avoid state income tax, but also the summer is not ideal IMO.
California will set you back big time for walking to the beach alone.

What is your budget?
Are you open to living outside the USA?

I think that's the kicker with Florida. Not good for summer which means you would always have to have a second home elsewhere to escape the heat and humidity.

I have to disagree with you.

I've been having this conversation with my northern friends as we are preparing to be in south Florida year round. I always thought it must be crazy to be in south Florida in the summer. However, you get acclimated to the weather down here after 6-8 months. My friends were here a few weeks ago and even tho it was 88*, I was very comfortable. They were saying, "Jeez, it's hot here!" We play at sunrise and are done by 10ish. Then it's off to the pool or clubhouse for lunch.
Humidity is humidity, no matter where you are. It's just that it's alot cleaner down here, with no air pollution added to the humidity. Always a breeze off the ocean to clean the air of that heavy humidity.
Really, you get used to it.

Now that I'm back on Long Island and it's mid 60's*, I'm freezing here. Been in the hot tub twice a day to warm up! Played one round yesterday and everything hurts from the cool weather!
Someone please buy my house so I can move back down south!

Ping G15 9* Serrano 60S
Ping G15 5W
Callaway Diablo Edge hybrids 24* 27* 30*
Callaway X20 7-LW
Scotty Cameron California Fastback
Nike PD Long
Callaway Supersoft

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 1puttTUT

1puttTUT

    Lefty with occasional game

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354761
  • Joined: 12/29/2014
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:3.2
  • Ebay ID:pmtuttle21
GolfWRX Likes : 941

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

View Postjmtbkr, on 12 May 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

View PostSwisstrader98, on 12 May 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

View Postschley, on 12 May 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

A couple points:  Florida will avoid state income tax, but also the summer is not ideal IMO.
California will set you back big time for walking to the beach alone.

What is your budget?
Are you open to living outside the USA?

I think that's the kicker with Florida. Not good for summer which means you would always have to have a second home elsewhere to escape the heat and humidity.

I have to disagree with you.

I've been having this conversation with my northern friends as we are preparing to be in south Florida year round. I always thought it must be crazy to be in south Florida in the summer. However, you get acclimated to the weather down here after 6-8 months. My friends were here a few weeks ago and even tho it was 88*, I was very comfortable. They were saying, "Jeez, it's hot here!" We play at sunrise and are done by 10ish. Then it's off to the pool or clubhouse for lunch.
Humidity is humidity, no matter where you are. It's just that it's alot cleaner down here, with no air pollution added to the humidity. Always a breeze off the ocean to clean the air of that heavy humidity.
Really, you get used to it.

Now that I'm back on Long Island and it's mid 60's*, I'm freezing here. Been in the hot tub twice a day to warm up! Played one round yesterday and everything hurts from the cool weather!
Someone please buy my house so I can move back down south!

You've become so weak! I can acclimate to cold weather but never the heat and humidity. Mid 60's is amazing golf weather.
Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
Cobra F7 16* w/ Aldila RIP Beta 80s
Cobra F7 19* w/Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 85s
Titleist 913H 21* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 915H 24* w/stock garbage shaft
Cobra forged TEC 6-GW w/ KBS Tour 120s
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
Bettinardi BB8 tour flowneck/TP Mills Trad II roundneck/SC Del Mar Cali

2

#33 ws6

ws6

    Pacific Dunes

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15560
  • Joined: 06/18/2006
  • Location:Seattle and Oregon
GolfWRX Likes : 549

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:03 PM

I'd really like to retire in the Redneck Riviera (NC native, so I speak the language).  I like Ft. Walton Beach and Destin, beautiful beaches, year round golf, good running weather, kayaking, swimming, pretty much everything I want to do is there.  

But my wife is from Colorado - she wants mountains, skiing, other cold weather activities.   Posted Image

3

#34 bradski

bradski

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52232
  • Joined: 03/25/2008
  • Location:Utah from San Diego
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:51 PM

Best year round weather is going to be san diego.  

If you look out west you can try st george ut.

4

#35 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Joined: 12/21/2015
  • Location:Austin
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1841

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:07 AM

View Postgregkeller, on 10 May 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:


3. Space - I am a hobbyist wood worker and need a shop.  Ideally a 2-3 car garage or separate outbuilding for making sawdust.  Basically no condos/apartment communities


Wonderful!   I too am a woodworker and have a wonderful shop.  Golf / woodworking together makes us a rare breed.

BTW, my location has everything you listed except the ocean.


5

#36 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Joined: 12/21/2015
  • Location:Austin
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1841

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

View PostMignuz, on 10 May 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

Canary Island are perfect for your description.
Tenerife or gran canaria in particular.
Cool golf courses, sea, space, cool people, summer all year long.
Maybe a little bit out of hand for you.

I went there a few years ago.  Loved it!  It's like the European version of Hawaii.

6

#37 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Joined: 12/21/2015
  • Location:Austin
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1841

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:12 AM

View PostSnowman9000, on 12 May 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

View Postgregkeller, on 10 May 2018 - 11:17 AM, said:

View PostMignuz, on 10 May 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

Canary Island are perfect for your description.
Tenerife or gran canaria in particular.
Cool golf courses, sea, space, cool people, summer all year long.
Maybe a little bit out of hand for you.

I like the way you think.  I hadn't thought about outside of the USA.  That opens up quite a bit of possibility.  Not sure the wife would love it though.  Who knows. A guy can dream though right?

In that case, Portugal. I think it’s already discovered by the Brits.

I'm going there tomorrow on a golf trip..... I've heard the cost of living is low and the golf courses are quite nice.

7

#38 az2au

az2au

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Joined: 06/10/2012
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ/New York, NY
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 607

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:46 PM

View PostRoadking2003, on 13 May 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

View PostSnowman9000, on 12 May 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

View Postgregkeller, on 10 May 2018 - 11:17 AM, said:

View PostMignuz, on 10 May 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

Canary Island are perfect for your description.
Tenerife or gran canaria in particular.
Cool golf courses, sea, space, cool people, summer all year long.
Maybe a little bit out of hand for you.

I like the way you think.  I hadn't thought about outside of the USA.  That opens up quite a bit of possibility.  Not sure the wife would love it though.  Who knows. A guy can dream though right?

In that case, Portugal. I think itís already discovered by the Brits.

I'm going there tomorrow on a golf trip..... I've heard the cost of living is low and the golf courses are quite nice.
Monte Rei may end up being your favorite Nicklaus course ever. Given your love his work I assume you are playing there. Wonderfully fun golf course in an amazing setting.

8

#39 Mignuz

Mignuz

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 388398
  • Joined: 07/28/2015
  • Location:italy
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:37 AM

View Postaz2au, on 13 May 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

View PostRoadking2003, on 13 May 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

View PostSnowman9000, on 12 May 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

View Postgregkeller, on 10 May 2018 - 11:17 AM, said:

View PostMignuz, on 10 May 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

Canary Island are perfect for your description.
Tenerife or gran canaria in particular.
Cool golf courses, sea, space, cool people, summer all year long.
Maybe a little bit out of hand for you.

I like the way you think.  I hadn't thought about outside of the USA.  That opens up quite a bit of possibility.  Not sure the wife would love it though.  Who knows. A guy can dream though right?

In that case, Portugal. I think it's already discovered by the Brits.

I'm going there tomorrow on a golf trip..... I've heard the cost of living is low and the golf courses are quite nice.
Monte Rei may end up being your favorite Nicklaus course ever. Given your love his work I assume you are playing there. Wonderfully fun golf course in an amazing setting.

Yes, pPortugal (the south) is another cool option.
Life cost is quite cheap, A LOT of golf courses (if you go in the south coast then you can easily reach south spain GC too) and cool people.
A lot of italians/europeans are going to live there after retirement, as for 10 years (or so) Portugal doesn't take taxes on pension.
Just to explain better, if in Italy you get a 1000 € net pension, if you move to Portugal you get a 1500 € net pension.

9

#40 ronnbee

ronnbee

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138003
  • Joined: 08/29/2011
  • Location:Oakmont pa
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:39 AM

took a year off once--Bored as heck, went back to work


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 Kevinx

Kevinx

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 304757
  • Joined: 03/31/2014
  • Location:New York
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:04 AM

View Postgregkeller, on 10 May 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

Ok,  lets play a game.  I have a ways to go before retirement, but I am trying to put together some ideas so that we can visit those places on vacation, see what we think of the areas, and maybe purchase a vacation home before we actually retire.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Awesome year round golf (this is my main, #1 most important thing).  I'd love a great course(s) that a decent player wouldn't get bored playing.  Great practice facilities are a must.  I love practicing almost as much as playing, a 9 hole par 3 course in addition to the main course would be flippin sweet.

2. Cool community- We will be moving from friends, and family, so will need a good community to hang with.

3. Space - I am a hobbyist wood worker and need a shop.  Ideally a 2-3 car garage or separate outbuilding for making sawdust.  Basically no condos/apartment communities

4. Walking distance to a nice beach.  This is my wife's thing and if she's gonna let me play golf all the time, it's the least I can do.  It will also be a way to get the kids to visit.  I know this just upped my cost of living a ton, but happy wife, happy life and all that.

Fire away.  I've thought about a place like Hilton Head which might be cool, but otherwise I'm not to sure of places.  I think I'd rather have a membership at a private club instead of trying to plan tee times at different places every day.  I like the idea of being able to show up and walk out onto the course whenever I get there, or practice for a couple hours in the morning, then play 9 holes or whatever.  

At this point it's just in the dreaming phase, but sometimes that's what I need to get through my day :)
You need alot of money for that dream. The only thing you didn't add was a trophy wife that obeys every command

11

#42 gregkeller

gregkeller

    Member

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108089
  • Joined: 05/17/2010
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

View PostRoadking2003, on 13 May 2018 - 08:07 AM, said:

View Postgregkeller, on 10 May 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

3. Space - I am a hobbyist wood worker and need a shop.  Ideally a 2-3 car garage or separate outbuilding for making sawdust.  Basically no condos/apartment communities


Wonderful!   I too am a woodworker and have a wonderful shop.  Golf / woodworking together makes us a rare breed.

BTW, my location has everything you listed except the ocean.

If it was up to me, Austin would be on my short list for certain.  I went to college at A&M, so part of me wants to end up back in Texas.  My weird side pulls me towards Austin ;)
Driver: Titleist 917 D3 /Oban Devotion 6x
3 wood: Taylor Made 2017 M1 w/ GD AD-DI 7x
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1/KBS tour hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP25/ Nippon 1150GH S
Wedges: 50,54 Callaway MD3 Chrome, 58 Titleist SM7
Putter: Odyssey O-works #9

12

#43 1puttTUT

1puttTUT

    Lefty with occasional game

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354761
  • Joined: 12/29/2014
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:3.2
  • Ebay ID:pmtuttle21
GolfWRX Likes : 941

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

My wife doesn't like Texas and I don't like Florida. SC seems like a good option.
Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
Cobra F7 16* w/ Aldila RIP Beta 80s
Cobra F7 19* w/Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 85s
Titleist 913H 21* w/stock garbage shaft
Titleist 915H 24* w/stock garbage shaft
Cobra forged TEC 6-GW w/ KBS Tour 120s
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
Bettinardi BB8 tour flowneck/TP Mills Trad II roundneck/SC Del Mar Cali

13

#44 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Joined: 12/21/2015
  • Location:Austin
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1841

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

View Postaz2au, on 13 May 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

View PostRoadking2003, on 13 May 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

View PostSnowman9000, on 12 May 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

View Postgregkeller, on 10 May 2018 - 11:17 AM, said:

View PostMignuz, on 10 May 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

Canary Island are perfect for your description.
Tenerife or gran canaria in particular.
Cool golf courses, sea, space, cool people, summer all year long.
Maybe a little bit out of hand for you.

I like the way you think.  I hadn't thought about outside of the USA.  That opens up quite a bit of possibility.  Not sure the wife would love it though.  Who knows. A guy can dream though right?

In that case, Portugal. I think it's already discovered by the Brits.

I'm going there tomorrow on a golf trip..... I've heard the cost of living is low and the golf courses are quite nice.
Monte Rei may end up being your favorite Nicklaus course ever. Given your love his work I assume you are playing there. Wonderfully fun golf course in an amazing setting.

Yes, we are playing there.

14

#45 Bourni1

Bourni1

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 361757
  • Joined: 02/09/2015
  • Location:Santo Domingo
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

Casa de Campo in the Dominican Republic is the answer.  4 top notch courses, beaches, nice community.  Its outside the US but has 3 airports within a 5 to 45 minute drive and serves most of the eastern seaboard.


15

#46 1b!ggolfnut

1b!ggolfnut

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500990
  • Joined: 05/05/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:32 PM

A seasonal 6 month rental 3500-5k seems right for a nice simple furnished town home

View PostSwisstrader98, on 12 May 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

Love the fact that so many NJ guys considering Palm Beach, Palm Gardens, Jupiter and the like. Same for me. Also considering Miami Beach although a bit more hectic.

In my case I will probably rent first and with a 3 bedroom in mind. Unsure of pricing at this stage but Iím guessing it runs the gamut from $3K to 7K or so.

Anyone have a good gauge on rental pricing for Palm Gardens, Jupiter, Palm Beach and Miami?


16

#47 gregkeller

gregkeller

    Member

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108089
  • Joined: 05/17/2010
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:45 AM

You guys have given me a bunch to look at.  I appreciate it.  Florida seems like the easy choice.  Looking at zillow for poops and giggles, looks like I'm gonna have a hard time getting something as close to the beach as my wife wants.  Maybe I should buy now a few miles inland for cheap and wait a while for global warming to make my place beachfront.
Driver: Titleist 917 D3 /Oban Devotion 6x
3 wood: Taylor Made 2017 M1 w/ GD AD-DI 7x
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1/KBS tour hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP25/ Nippon 1150GH S
Wedges: 50,54 Callaway MD3 Chrome, 58 Titleist SM7
Putter: Odyssey O-works #9

17

#48 lowndes

lowndes

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127537
  • Joined: 04/26/2011
  • Location:Houston, Tx
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

View Postgregkeller, on 14 May 2018 - 08:09 AM, said:

View PostRoadking2003, on 13 May 2018 - 08:07 AM, said:

View Postgregkeller, on 10 May 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

3. Space - I am a hobbyist wood worker and need a shop.  Ideally a 2-3 car garage or separate outbuilding for making sawdust.  Basically no condos/apartment communities


Wonderful!   I too am a woodworker and have a wonderful shop.  Golf / woodworking together makes us a rare breed.

BTW, my location has everything you listed except the ocean.

If it was up to me, Austin would be on my short list for certain.  I went to college at A&M, so part of me wants to end up back in Texas.  My weird side pulls me towards Austin ;)

If you are open to Texas then take a look at Cordillera Ranch outside San Antonio.  Pretty cool community in a beautiful part of state and has great airline access.

18

#49 brianwy

brianwy

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113820
  • Joined: 08/29/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:41 PM

View Postgregkeller, on 10 May 2018 - 10:01 AM, said:

Ok,  lets play a game.  I have a ways to go before retirement, but I am trying to put together some ideas so that we can visit those places on vacation, see what we think of the areas, and maybe purchase a vacation home before we actually retire.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Awesome year round golf (this is my main, #1 most important thing).  I'd love a great course(s) that a decent player wouldn't get bored playing.  Great practice facilities are a must.  I love practicing almost as much as playing, a 9 hole par 3 course in addition to the main course would be flippin sweet.

2. Cool community- We will be moving from friends, and family, so will need a good community to hang with.

3. Space - I am a hobbyist wood worker and need a shop.  Ideally a 2-3 car garage or separate outbuilding for making sawdust.  Basically no condos/apartment communities

4. Walking distance to a nice beach.  This is my wife's thing and if she's gonna let me play golf all the time, it's the least I can do.  It will also be a way to get the kids to visit.  I know this just upped my cost of living a ton, but happy wife, happy life and all that.

Fire away.  I've thought about a place like Hilton Head which might be cool, but otherwise I'm not to sure of places.  I think I'd rather have a membership at a private club instead of trying to plan tee times at different places every day.  I like the idea of being able to show up and walk out onto the course whenever I get there, or practice for a couple hours in the morning, then play 9 holes or whatever.  

At this point it's just in the dreaming phase, but sometimes that's what I need to get through my day :)

I second the nomination for Hilton Head.  Berkeley Hall is golf at its best.  They allow outside memberships, don't have to be a resident.  Initiations is about 10k and monthly fees about $800.  36 holes of golf, all of it was designed to be walkable.  Two completely different designs.  40k sf clubhouse with a blowout locker room/grill.    Their practice facility is out of this world.  Moveable canopy for hitting balls with fans at each station.  3 or 4 short game holes 60-100 yds...They even have an enclosed practice area with bays and a trackman for members to use with a 60" monitor.  The driving range even has its own small clubhouse with  self serve bar and large flatscreen if you want to take a break and watch some golf or football...

Members are very down to earth and friendly.  I didn't run across any Mr. Big characters when i was there, which is rare for this nice of a club.  

I have played at clubs in S. Florida that had 100k+  initiation fees that couldn't compare to Berkeley.  Winter has some cold days  50's, but you will be able to play alot of golf in the 60's-low 70's as well.  They only do about 15k/yr rounds per course...That's about 40 a day per course!

This is my planned destination in about 5 years!!!

19

#50 schley

schley

    Love ya don't tell ya enough!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Joined: 06/22/2008
  • Location:Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:04 PM

Berkely Hall looks special indeed.  Put that on my list, although I would like to have some variety and not 2 Fazio courses.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 gregkeller

gregkeller

    Member

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108089
  • Joined: 05/17/2010
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

Berkley Hall looks amazing.  Houses in my price range, and also in a size that won't be crazy huge and tough to maintain in retirement.  Going on my list for sure.
Driver: Titleist 917 D3 /Oban Devotion 6x
3 wood: Taylor Made 2017 M1 w/ GD AD-DI 7x
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1/KBS tour hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP25/ Nippon 1150GH S
Wedges: 50,54 Callaway MD3 Chrome, 58 Titleist SM7
Putter: Odyssey O-works #9

21

#52 1b!ggolfnut

1b!ggolfnut

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500990
  • Joined: 05/05/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 22 May 2018 - 04:06 PM

Best practice facility in the country with the exception of the Tournament Practice range at Augusta.

View Postgregkeller, on 21 May 2018 - 08:46 AM, said:

Berkley Hall looks amazing.  Houses in my price range, and also in a size that won't be crazy huge and tough to maintain in retirement.  Going on my list for sure.


22

#53 golfheaven69

golfheaven69

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16985
  • Joined: 07/26/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 245

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:41 PM

Berkeley is first class. So are monthly dues.

23

#54 brianwy

brianwy

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113820
  • Joined: 08/29/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:24 PM

View Postschley, on 20 May 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

Berkely Hall looks special indeed.  Put that on my list, although I would like to have some variety and not 2 Fazio courses.

One of the best features of the membership is they have a summer reciprocal program with Belfair, Colleton River, Long Cove, Oldfield, Spring Island, etc...i think they even have a deal with Secession.   They are all exceptional facilities...

24

#55 Chef23

Chef23

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20428
  • Joined: 10/10/2006
  • Location:Massachusetts
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:05 PM

My parents are in Ft Myers in an over 55 development that has a lot of what you are looking for except for proximity to the beach. Their development has 27 holes of good golf. Condition has been somewhat up and down depending on the greenskeeper. Their development does have a wood shop and my Dad is very active in it and also has a lathe in his garage. The course i believe is full public but members get 10 day advanced tee t8mes and there is a very active group of members.  

Plus you can play golf most days in shorts.  We are from Massachusetts and my Dad used to hate the heat but he has become accustomed to it n


25



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors