Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Driven

135 replies to this topic

#121 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

Shoot to Thrill, Play to Kill......

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53652
GolfWRX Likes : 614

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:07 PM

View Postleezer99, on 31 May 2018 - 12:52 PM, said:

View PostDeerslayer, on 31 May 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

View PostMadGolfer76, on 17 May 2018 - 04:37 PM, said:

View PostRedjeep83, on 17 May 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

View PostMadGolfer76, on 17 May 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

Lots of dynamics going on with coaching a golf team at that level, guys. Not everything is about what is on paper. Kid could have been late to practices, in danger of failing academics, being confrontational with other players and staff, not listening to the coach, etc. Not saying any of that is true, but there are always circumstances that aren't public. Could be it is easier to tell dad some lame reason than be accountable for something tangible. Gotta give professional people the benefit of the doubt when things look too stupid to be believable.

Stratton has always had 4.0 gpa's and on honors. He was obsessed with OSU golf, he wasn't being late or rude to coach. It's a pretty simple conclusion really, power and speed is very important in competitive golf

Not doubting, but how are you able to confirm all that?

I will confirm, Stratton graduated with TWO degrees, Finance and Accounting.  He made the Presidents list 3 times (4.0) and Deans list 4 times.  He won the team Directors Chair having the highest GPA in class/sport.   He never missed a practice or was late for ANYTHING.  He doesn't drink hardly at all and was known as the teammate who would pick up his teammates at 2am or be the DD when they would go out.  He has been named the oSu golf camp's assistant of the week more than a few times and he is the ONLY player on the team that has worked the camp every year start to finish and will again this summer.

This comment makes it sound like he made himself a little too accessible or maybe a pushover.  I really have no basis to comment but that's what I'm reading into it.

Regardless, he should be proud of himself for graduating with two degrees and for holding himself to the highest of standards.  It is difficult to stand for what you believe is the right thing to do when others don't agree with you.
"Pushover"   LOL or a really good friend and teammate

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#122 Redjeep83

Redjeep83

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115910
GolfWRX Likes : 644

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:12 PM

tough crowd, you'd think they had first hand experience with someone on the OSU golf team

#123 BB28403

BB28403

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369711
GolfWRX Likes : 292

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:02 PM

View PostWidespreadPanic, on 24 May 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

View PostBB28403, on 21 May 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

View Postj.b.newton, on 21 May 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

Have you seen the PGA tour lately?  Other than a few notable exceptions, its not like there are a bunch of 6'2 220 lb guys walking around...  World #1 is LISTED at 5'10 145.  Do you think he is actually 5'10??

Everyone seems to be trending skinnier.  Spieth looks like a rail, JT looks like a rail, Adam Scott and Jason day have thinned down.
Jason Day is bigger than he has ever been. Dude has definitely been lifting. Even Spieth looks like he's been gaining muscle.

Jason admitted he’s lost a good bit of weight in interviews.

You could make the muscle to fat argument but anyhow they were talking about how he wins after losing weight and how odd that is.  And also that he lost 10 pounds in a short amount of time.

Edited by BB28403, 03 June 2018 - 12:04 PM.

#124 BB28403

BB28403

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2018 - 12:05 PM

View PostRedjeep83, on 24 May 2018 - 12:51 PM, said:

View PostWidespreadPanic, on 24 May 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

View PostBB28403, on 21 May 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

View Postj.b.newton, on 21 May 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

Have you seen the PGA tour lately?  Other than a few notable exceptions, its not like there are a bunch of 6'2 220 lb guys walking around...  World #1 is LISTED at 5'10 145.  Do you think he is actually 5'10??

Everyone seems to be trending skinnier.  Spieth looks like a rail, JT looks like a rail, Adam Scott and Jason day have thinned down.
Jason Day is bigger than he has ever been. Dude has definitely been lifting. Even Spieth looks like he's been gaining muscle.

yea I thought Jason looked bigger this year too. He mentioned recently he's been getting more into power lifting,

He also mentioned that he used to lift heavy and it made him look great however it was pretty useless to golf.  In an interview at the players I think.

#125 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
GolfWRX Likes : 272

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:38 PM

Nice try by Stratton today (finished a few strokes out of Sectional qualifying...a stroke ahead of Matthew Wolff):

http://www.usopen.co...l#!&tab=results

#126 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 495

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:54 PM

View Postcarrera, on 04 June 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

Nice try by Stratton today (finished a few strokes out of Sectional qualifying...a stroke ahead of Matthew Wolff):

You should have ended that before adding the parenthetical statement.  There's no reason to compare either of these two golfers.

#127 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:58 PM

View Postleezer99, on 04 June 2018 - 06:54 PM, said:

You should have ended that before adding the parenthetical statement.  There's no reason to compare either of these two golfers.

Uh, this is a thread about Oklahoma State golf, and there were two members of the team that finished near each other near the qualifying figure.  You read too much into it.

#128 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:13 PM

View Postcarrera, on 04 June 2018 - 07:58 PM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 04 June 2018 - 06:54 PM, said:

Uh, this is a thread about Oklahoma State golf, and there were two members of the team that finished near each other near the qualifying figure.  You read too much into it.

You don't give a compliment by saying one did better than the other.

#129 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:28 AM

View Postleezer99, on 04 June 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

You don't give a compliment by saying one did better than the other.

Thanks for the guidance.  Even though "doing better" in a qualifier is an irrelevant concept when you don't qualify, I should have written:

Nice try by Stratton today, finishing a few strokes out of Sectional qualifying.  In other unrelated Oklahoma State golf news, teammate Matthew Wolff was coincidently playing in the same qualifier, and unfortunately also didn't qualify, though it was a nice try by him also.

#130 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:07 AM

LOL, they all pull for each other.  Stratton, Matt and Viktor were all hanging out for 30min on the range talking after the 36 holes yesterday.  Stratton will tell anyone that Matt has "it" to him.  They all laughed watching the GC coverage and swing speeds of Matt.  They were definately exaggerated in the programming on Golf Channel.  Matt is long, but not the longest even on his team.  They will all say about Matt is his positioning and swing on his downswing and I listened to them talking about it in the clubhouse yesterday with some other collegiate players.  His positions are perfect on the downswing and he repeats it.  He launches the ball so high, he gets every yard out of his swing speed.  They know what Matt's real speeds are and though Matt is strong and fast, his CHS is no where near Dustin Johnson and the longest players on tour like they were making it out on in the coverage.  There were two players on this team that were longer. This whole group has a special bond with each other it shows in events like yesterday where they are competing as individuals.  I will say this, there may be some trouble next season for oSu in numbers of players.  The talk I heard yesterday was eye-popping.

There were four oSu players in the sectional:
Stratton Nolen - 72/62 -137  -7
Brendon Jelley- 68/69 - 137  -7
Matthew Wolff- 71/67 - 138  -6
Viktor Hovland - 76/WD

Edited by Deerslayer, 05 June 2018 - 08:14 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#131 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:09 AM

View PostDeerslayer, on 05 June 2018 - 08:07 AM, said:

LOL, they all pull for each other.  Stratton, Matt and Viktor were all hanging out for 30min on the range talking after the 36 holes yesterday.  Stratton will tell anyone that Matt has "it" to him.  They all laughed watching the GC coverage and swing speeds of Matt.  They were definately exaggerated in the programming on Golf Channel.  Matt is long, but not the longest even on his team.  They will all say about Matt is his positioning and swing on his downswing and I listened to them talking about it in the clubhouse yesterday with some other collegiate players.  His positions are perfect on the downswing and he repeats it.  He launches the ball so high, he gets every yard out of his swing speed.  They know what Matt's real speeds are and though Matt is strong and fast, his CHS is no where near Dustin Johnson and the longest players on tour like they were making it out on in the coverage.  There were two players on this team that were longer. This whole group has a special bond with each other it shows in events like yesterday where they are competing as individuals.  I will say this, there may be some trouble next season for oSu in numbers of players.  The talk I heard yesterday was eye-popping.

Viktor Hovland - 76/WD

I had a feeling that after oSu won the NCAA title that there would be at least one or two of the underclassmen that decided to go pro.  In my opinion the caliber of kids playing at oSu already have this on their mind and since they have won their championship the next logical step is to go make some coin.

It really is good to hear that they are out there rooting for each other.

#132 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:49 AM

View Postleezer99, on 05 June 2018 - 09:09 AM, said:

Viktor Hovland - 76/WD

I had a feeling that after oSu won the NCAA title that there would be at least one or two of the underclassmen that decided to go pro.  In my opinion the caliber of kids playing at oSu already have this on their mind and since they have won their championship the next logical step is to go make some coin.

The problem is that they have NO ROOM for any underclassmen to leave.  They had 11 players that started the year, 1 transferred to U of Ark after the first semester, 4 graduated. One more has already declared pro two weeks ago after winning the Monday Qualifier on the Web.com event. That leaves 4 with one recruit coming in.  I know that 2 of those 5 are going to attend two q schools each in the fall. (Web.com and Euro)   That would leave 3 and of those 3 I could see two of them turning pro this summer as their stock is pretty high right now.

#133 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:50 AM

View PostDeerslayer, on 05 June 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

Viktor Hovland - 76/WD

The problem is that they have NO ROOM for any underclassmen to leave.  They had 11 players that started the year, 1 transferred to U of Ark after the first semester, 4 graduated. One more has already declared pro two weeks ago after winning the Monday Qualifier on the Web.com event. That leaves 4 with one recruit coming in.  I know that 2 of those 5 are going to attend two q schools each in the fall. (Web.com and Euro)   That would leave 3 and of those 3 I could see two of them turning pro this summer as their stock is pretty high right now.

That sucks.  I guess it will be #RebuildingYear

#134 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

Or they could have the nastiest 4 man squad ever if they are able to keep the guys there

#135 BB28403

BB28403

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:13 PM

View Postleezer99, on 05 June 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

View PostDeerslayer, on 05 June 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

Viktor Hovland - 76/WD

Driven to the PGA Tour in Ferraris

Edited by BB28403, 06 June 2018 - 11:14 PM.

#136 Deepfork

Deepfork

Go Pokes!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314249
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:PurePoke
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:47 PM

Stratton has a lot to be proud of, and I mean a lot!  Graduating with 2 degrees is something for Stratton and Deerslayer to be proud of.  Competing at a top D1 program in golf is tough.  I'm glad Stratton stayed with the program because he will walk away with a great support system of alums and former team members, 2 degree's, a national championship, and friends and memories that will last a lifetime.  I hope I get to meet him in the Pro Am this fall and shake his hand and say thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors