Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

MacGregor 904W?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DM70

DM70

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423942
GolfWRX Likes : 215

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:52 AM

I just a small batch of clubs from the son of an old golf pro (working 50-80s) and among them was this refinished MacGregor that I can't find any information about online, nor in Golfworks-book. Any input is appreciated!

It's obviously been refinished at one point, so I'm unsure of how much of what is seen is original.

Sole plate has a quite odd looking MacGregor stamp, the M and G are much taller than normal, and the lettering is quite thin, the latter could be because of extensive sanding though, I'm guessing. The 1 is leaning to one side. The stamping is very faint, but I'm pretty sure it's 904W, it might possibly be S04W.

Face is 1.5" in middle of the insert. Insert might be replaced, three small screws look a bit odd. Grain is very nice under the dark brown/black stain, which is why I'm thinking it's not an 80s club.

Shaft I'm thinking is replaced, because there is a 45" true temper shaft without grip installed (pinned though). I guess the refinish did not quite finish!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 elwhippy

elwhippy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
GolfWRX Likes : 710

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:13 PM

What is the loft? Looks a serious hook fighter.

#3 DM70

DM70

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:28 PM

I can't measure loft, but comparing to an 80's M85 remake it seems a degree or two stronger.

#4 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 1693

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

DM-

It is a store model MacGregor from the late '50s, but had a lot of custom club work done to it.

This is what was once called a "golfing face lift."...for obvious reasons.

The person(s) who did the club work were very good.

This club underwent a pretty serious restoration, which included-   Reshafting, Refinishing, and Replacement of insert. (No, that's not a MacGregor screw pattern..)

The old golf pro really liked the look of this persimmon wood,  but he had a substantial contract with Spalding, because the insert color and screw pattern of this club resemble those Spalding models of the '50s.

One would have to get very close to see this was a MacGregor persimmon head, customized to look like a Spalding.

This was the old golf pros personal Driver. He couldn't be seen with a MacGregor driver, now could he?

Like Sam Snead, under contract with Wilson Golf, but used an Izett Driver...

#5 DM70

DM70

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:21 PM

Thanks Rex! As usual you are a fountain of knowledge.

I'll definitely cut the shaft down and re-grip, need to try it out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors