Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

ladies ball vs men's low compression balls

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,858 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 361

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:47 PM

In years past, a ladies ball was lower compression. With the low compression craze, are men now playing ladies balls? Is a ladies ball just marketing hype and no different than a Supersoft or Softfli?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 hybrid25

hybrid25

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434860
GolfWRX Likes : 695

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

I am thinking it's all marketing hype. My swing speed is about 93 to 95 mph, and the higher compression golf balls seam to go farther for me. There's probably more to the equation then just compression in reference to golf ball distance. The type of cover and layers in the golf ball all have an effect. Really all I know is I hit the higher compression golf balls a bit straighter and longer. I personally like the feel of a harder golf ball as well, as it seems to give me the best feedback.

#3 storm319

storm319

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
GolfWRX Likes : 622

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:25 PM

Beyond color sometimes, balls marketed to women are no different than any other low compression 2-piece surlyn ball.

There actually is a precedent to the contrary. Precept released the Laddie due to the popularity of the MC Lady with men. It was essentially the same ball but targeted at slower swinging men that wouldn’t buy a ball marketed to women.

#4 Celeras

Celeras

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 496920
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:03 PM

View Posthybrid25, on 08 May 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

I am thinking it's all marketing hype. My swing speed is about 93 to 95 mph, and the higher compression golf balls seam to go farther for me. There's probably more to the equation then just compression in reference to golf ball distance.

It's not just a matter of "more" to the equation.. compression is literally irrelevant when it comes to distance. The myth has been gone over ad nauseum, but I've always liked the chart from Not allowed because of spam:

cor-impact-velocity.png

C.O.R. is a measure of the energy retained during a collision (such as a club/ball collision), which correlates to the expected ball velocity at different clubhead speeds.

Of all the things that determine distance, compression is not one of them.
Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 10.5* PX Even Flow Black 75 6.0
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* PX Even Flow Blue 75 6.0
Ping G400 Hybrid 19* Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping G400 5-UW AWT 2.0 Stiff, Green Dot
Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB Wedge Set 56/60*
Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 #7
Callaway Fusion 14

#5 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,858 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:32 PM

View Poststorm319, on 08 May 2018 - 07:25 PM, said:

Beyond color sometimes, balls marketed to women are no different than any other low compression 2-piece surlyn ball.

There actually is a precedent to the contrary. Precept released the Laddie due to the popularity of the MC Lady with men. It was essentially the same ball but targeted at slower swinging men that wouldn't buy a ball marketed to women.

Agreed, it is mainly colors. I sure wish they would stop calling/marketing certain balls as ladies balls. I think the new Duo Soft Matte Ladies ball is really sharp. But, I and many others, probably wouldn't play it because it is a "ladies ball".

Here's a review on the Wilson site: I have used the Duo ball for two season and love it, I choose the matte white because it's different. We have the other colors as well and there is no difference between them, not sure why it's advertised for Women only.

Edited by Tanner25, 08 May 2018 - 08:35 PM.

#6 flushem

flushem

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39708
  • Handicap:14.2
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:24 PM

also nobody will steal your ball.  I have pinnacle soft with pink number.   #1 hardly anyone takes pinnacle. #2 once they see pink, they kindly place where it was.

in terms of performance, no difference.
WWG1 WGA

#7 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,858 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:20 PM

View Postflushem, on 09 May 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

also nobody will steal your ball.  I have pinnacle soft with pink number.   #1 hardly anyone takes pinnacle. #2 once they see pink, they kindly place where it was.

in terms of performance, no difference.

cool!

#8 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 23903

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

Didn't Precept have a "ladies" ball that they also marketed under a different name?  It's a golf ball, not a manseer.  Now there you have a noted difference.

#9 grm24

grm24

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
GolfWRX Likes : 1989

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

View PostDavePelz4, on 09 May 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

Didn't Precept have a "ladies" ball that they also marketed under a different name?  It's a golf ball, not a manseer.  Now there you have a noted difference.
They did. The Precept MC Lady (late 2000/early 2001 popularity) that was renamed to the Laddie for insecure men golfers.  :)

Edited by grm24, 09 May 2018 - 06:22 PM.

#10 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 476

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:05 PM

...as opposed to a "bro"...too ethnic.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
20-year old Mizuno 5 Wood
Balls: Z Star and Snell MTB Black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 23903

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

View PostBeerPerHole, on 10 May 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

...as opposed to a "bro"...too ethnic.

You are a man with vision!

#12 DivinDave

DivinDave

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417836
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

Interesting comments by a golf ball engineer about swing speed and compression.

Enjoy.
https://www.youtube....h?v=BR2MkPi1_HE
Experience - What's leaned just after you needed it most

#13 1badbadger

1badbadger

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18031
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:42 AM

The Precept and Bridgestone ladies balls have always been a separate model designed specifically for women.  That doesn't mean that ALL women will fit into that ball of course, but it's not just an xFixx or ExtraSoft with different stampings. Neither was the Laddie.  It's true the Laddie was inspired by the original Precept Lady and had some similar characteristics, but it was it's own model with different specs.  The Lady is the lowest compression ball Bridgestone makes.  It is designed to launch higher than the other distance-type balls they offer and spins slightly more to keep it in the air longer.

As far as whether or not compression contributes to distance or not...it's an interesting subject.  I don't think it's been proven to not be a factor in distance, and I don't think that chart that was posted earlier in the thread shows that.  Something that is not debatable is that a lower compression ball will launch higher and with less spin. I don't think anyone disputes this.  It happens off the driver and some of the other long clubs like fairway woods...clubs that are swung fast enough to activate the core. So even if nothing else is affected by compressing the core (such as more ball speed due to an improved COR or something like that) just the difference from launching higher and spinning less will increase distance.  So wouldn't it be fair to say compression does have an affect on distance?

The other thing that chart doesn't seem to show is what happens on miss-hit shots.  Simply looking at all perfectly struck shots doesn't tell the whole story.  When a ball is not hit on the sweet spot, a firmer compression ball will have a greater loss in ball speed than a lower compression ball will. A slight miss will only have a slight difference, but the further away from the center of the face the impact is, the more the higher compression ball will lose performance.  How can there not be any difference in performance between a 100 compression ball and a 40 compression ball?  Yes, there will be a difference in feel of course, but with that much difference in the core's resistance to deforming it has to have an affect on the performance somewhere, right?  Of course it does.  Why would manufacturers bother to make cores with different compression ratings if it made no difference?

Just some food for thought guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors