Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Straightest ball with a high swing speed


  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Jackrwesty

Jackrwesty

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497494
  • Joined: 03/30/2018
  • Location:California
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:Jacksonwestermeyer19
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:37 PM

At 110mph,  even the smallest cut\draw turns into a hook\ slice.

Is there a ball that would  spin   less of the driver and still perform well on the green?!

I play chromosome now, and sometimes zstar or aeroburner soft


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1513

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:39 PM

Titleist Tour Soft. :taunt:
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Ping G20 5-P, DG S300
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58* SW & 64* LW
Callaway Indianapolis EXO

Titleist AVX

2

#3 linkerpan

linkerpan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134575
  • Joined: 07/29/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 416

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:55 AM

Pinnacle Gold. Titleist velocity. Top Flite XL3000. Nitro (the ones from Target, not the ones from Walmart). But my faves are the Gold. At that speed, they bit hard on the green

In the other hundreds of threats about this subject people recommend other choices but I always come back to the Golds

Edited by linkerpan, 08 May 2018 - 07:03 AM.

M4 460, 8.5 Rogue 70
Tee EX10 Tour, 13, Hzrdus Yellow
SLDR 19, Ahina 70S
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Vokey SM6 56/14, 60/07
Kingston KP1

M1 430, 8.5 Hzrdus Black 75
SLDR T 14, Ahina 70S
Stage 2 19h, Altus 85
910h, 21, 24 with Ahina 90h S
Mizuno MP25 6-7i, MP5 8i-PW
Kingston GSS
Mizuno MP-T5 52/06, 56-10, 60-06

Kirkland Signature balls
Bushnell V2 range finder
Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag/Ogio Ozone XX Stand Bag with Woodie

WITB Link

3

#4 justincredible04

justincredible04

    Justincase1004

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60545
  • Joined: 07/15/2008
  • Location:Idaho
  • Ebay ID:justincase1004
GolfWRX Likes : 494

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:02 AM

 Jackrwesty, on 07 May 2018 - 11:37 PM, said:

At 110mph,  even the smallest cut\draw turns into a hook\ slice.

Is there a ball that would  spin   less of the driver and still perform well on the green?!

I play chromosome now, and sometimes zstar or aeroburner soft

I played with a guy that had a crazy slice and I gave him a sleeve of the K3s. Definitely less spin off the driver than the chromesoft. Try those out. They’re nice and they’re cheap too

4

#5 Flopper

Flopper

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 498340
  • Joined: 04/08/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:49 AM

Bridgestone e6 lol. Definitely has less sidespin


5

#6 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6462

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:05 AM

Have you ever watched a precision ball-striker like Freddie Couples hit his "slight cut"? It starts out exactly five yards left of his target then at the end of its flight makes an almost imperceptible 5-yard drift to the right, lands and rolls out straight.

Hitting a "slight cut" at 110mph (or 120mph or 130mph) doesn't turn it into a slice. A slice swing and a slight cut swing are two different swings, whatever your clubhead speed.

You're simply asking for that magic no-sidespin golf ball that goes straight when you put a hook or slice swing on it. No such ball exists and it wouldn't pass the USGA conformance testing if it did exist!
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

6

#7 huddledtoast

huddledtoast

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424790
  • Joined: 05/11/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:05 PM

Swing to path is where the issue here is, it's not your swing speed that makes it hook/slice.

If swing speed was the cause, imagine what would happen to any ball that DJ hits with his 120SS, they'd all curve off the planet.

7

#8 Bloom

Bloom

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305665
  • Joined: 04/04/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

 North Butte, on 09 May 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

Have you ever watched a precision ball-striker like Freddie Couples hit his "slight cut"? It starts out exactly five yards left of his target then at the end of its flight makes an almost imperceptible 5-yard drift to the right, lands and rolls out straight.

Hitting a "slight cut" at 110mph (or 120mph or 130mph) doesn't turn it into a slice. A slice swing and a slight cut swing are two different swings, whatever your clubhead speed.

You're simply asking for that magic no-sidespin golf ball that goes straight when you put a hook or slice swing on it. No such ball exists and it wouldn't pass the USGA conformance testing if it did exist!

Ok, why do you have to be 'that guy'?  Can't you let some of us hope and dream for a little bit :)

8

#9 MrJones

MrJones

    Waiting for the weekend...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18450
  • Joined: 08/26/2006
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 993

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:22 PM

IMO one of the best balls off the tee (and longest for me) for guys with higher swing speeds is the Bridgestone BX (B330). It's a great ball.

I'd also recommend both the ProV1x and TP5X.


Unless I'm playing one of the new matte red balls for fun (I love the color) I'll play one of these three balls. If I could only choose one, it would be the BX.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
TM RAC MB 3-PW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

9

#10 flushem

flushem

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39708
  • Joined: 09/21/2007
  • Location:SoQal
  • Handicap:14.2
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:21 PM

either Snell MTB Black for soft feel or any Volvik balls for hard feel.

WWG1 WGA

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Stanks

Stanks

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469442
  • Joined: 05/29/2017
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 151

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

Straight golf balls?

1. Nike Razn Tour Black
2. Volvik Vivids just do not cut / draw that much in my opinion.
3. Wilson 2 piecers
Ping LST 400 10* with Tensei Pro Orange 60 TX
Cobra F7 3 Wood 14.5
Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 19.5
Taylormade P790 4* Weak
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*
Callaway MD3 55* & PM Grind 60*.
2012 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (PutterSpa by J-Rich Finish)

11

#12 WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic

    Wizard in the Corner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425856
  • Joined: 05/19/2016
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2214

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:16 AM

A slight cut is a slight cut. A slice is a slice. But I guess the 2 piece balls will spin less.
Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
Cobra F7 15.5*
Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
Mizuno MPH5 4i
Mizuno MP33 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
Taylormade TPx

12

#13 vanillafunk616

vanillafunk616

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378040
  • Joined: 05/28/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 238

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:24 AM

The lower spinning distance balls would be your best best for lowering spin off the tee, but really any ball that made a significant difference would be outlawed.  As far as green use in terms of spin and feel, it's kind of a catch 22.  Maybe an in between ball would be a compromise, but seeing as you already play a chrome soft I think you're already there.

13

#14 linkerpan

linkerpan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134575
  • Joined: 07/29/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 416

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:22 PM

IMG_1526005288.380285.jpg
The obvious solution. If you still slice this ball try playing dominoes because golf is not your thing.
M4 460, 8.5 Rogue 70
Tee EX10 Tour, 13, Hzrdus Yellow
SLDR 19, Ahina 70S
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Vokey SM6 56/14, 60/07
Kingston KP1

M1 430, 8.5 Hzrdus Black 75
SLDR T 14, Ahina 70S
Stage 2 19h, Altus 85
910h, 21, 24 with Ahina 90h S
Mizuno MP25 6-7i, MP5 8i-PW
Kingston GSS
Mizuno MP-T5 52/06, 56-10, 60-06

Kirkland Signature balls
Bushnell V2 range finder
Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag/Ogio Ozone XX Stand Bag with Woodie

WITB Link

14

#15 wkuo3

wkuo3

    RELEASE

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Joined: 10/24/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 557

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:35 AM

Have you tried the Taylormade Tp5X ?


15

#16 Brunzy

Brunzy

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 498746
  • Joined: 04/11/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

I'll take a nice 2 piece ball anyday for my drives. Whether it is mental or whatever it is, I'm dead center down the fairway every time with a 2 piece ball.

16

#17 vietnameeh

vietnameeh

    Hack

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93431
  • Joined: 08/31/2009
  • Handicap:36.4
  • Ebay ID:vietnameeh
GolfWRX Likes : 226

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:04 PM

I played a volvik vivid and it was stupid straight
Cobra LTD PRO 8.5F* UST Mamiya Attas Proto 7x
Callaway XR16 Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
Mizuno MP650 19* Graphite Design Tour AD YSQPH 105X
2012 TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW X100
Wilson FG Tour TC 52,56,60
Odyssey White Hot XG 7M

17

#18 tatertot

tatertot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
  • Joined: 06/29/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3385

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:34 PM

This is a new one ...

"I swing too fast to hit it straight."

What is the speed limit for a slight fade or draw?
Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Irons: Ping Eye2, 2-9 iron
Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
Putter: Cameron Studio Stainless Mid Sur, 34"

18

#19 Spooky67

Spooky67

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134659
  • Joined: 07/30/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 1091

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:45 PM

I have been on both sides of the ball debate. For years I sweared by the Bridgestone e6. I hate them now. Then my next have to have ball was the Hex Chrome+. I loved it and played it for years, now I donít like it as much...? My current favorite is the Z star XV. I donít see any real difference off the tee with any of them in terms of spin/path. My bad shots are bad and my good shots are good. I put plenty of e6s in the woods or OB.

My advice-find a ball you like and play it. There are vids out there that show spin off the driver with different balls and they are all pretty close for the most part. Spin off the wedges are a different story. Play what feels good to you.

Edited by Spooky67, 12 May 2018 - 06:45 PM.


19

#20 GSDriver

GSDriver

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 493210
  • Joined: 02/10/2018
  • Location:DFW TX
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:08 PM

I'd worry more about swing than ball, swing makes up for stuff no ball can

Epic Speeder 661
Razr Fit Xtreme 4/7 woods
Epic Hyrbrid 23*
Apex Pro 5-P Recoil 110
MD Slate Forged 52
PM Grind 58
- a host of Odysseys

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 MrJones

MrJones

    Waiting for the weekend...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18450
  • Joined: 08/26/2006
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 993

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:35 AM

 Spooky67, on 12 May 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

I have been on both sides of the ball debate. For years I sweared by the Bridgestone e6. I hate them now. Then my next have to have ball was the Hex Chrome+. I loved it and played it for years, now I don't like it as much...? My current favorite is the Z star XV. I don't see any real difference off the tee with any of them in terms of spin/path. My bad shots are bad and my good shots are good. I put plenty of e6s in the woods or OB.

My advice-find a ball you like and play it. There are vids out there that show spin off the driver with different balls and they are all pretty close for the most part. Spin off the wedges are a different story. Play what feels good to you.

Don't feel bad, those first 2 or 3 years worth of E6 balls were awesome. After that they got worse. Last years version was just awful.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
TM RAC MB 3-PW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

21

#22 Mikey5e

Mikey5e

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494264
  • Joined: 02/21/2018
  • Location:ohio
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 223

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:39 AM

No question, the TF D2+ Distance.
When I want less side spin and max distance, it's hard to beat.

22

#23 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412064
  • Joined: 02/13/2016
  • Location:New Orleans
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 241

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:11 PM

 Mikey5e, on 14 May 2018 - 09:39 AM, said:

No question, the TF D2+ Distance.
When I want less side spin and max distance, it's hard to beat.
This exactly. And the silver lining is that it makes your sort of childish 110 roll out more like a man's 135.
I mean, go lift some weights, son.
Titleist 915D3 9.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60, R, @10.25*
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
Cleveland Smart Square Blade

23

#24 lambo428

lambo428

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251166
  • Joined: 05/17/2013
  • Location:San Francisco, CA
  • Handicap:High
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:08 PM

I don't get on with Callaway or Srixon balls because they're way too curvy off the tee. Initially, playing golf with cheapo 2 piece balls, I just thought curvy shots were the norm for me until I tried the original Bridgestone e6 which was the straightest ball I ever played at that time.  Being curious, I found out that Bridgestone balls had a dimple count of 330 and the cheapo balls that I was playing had a dimple count over 400.  Now I never play a ball with a dimple count over 330 or Callaway/Srixon balls.  So currently I play the NXT Tours S or the Velocity; for urethane I've had good luck with ProV1s and Bridgestones.  Recently found a prior gen Project (a) ball (350ish dimples), curve city off the tee. Of course, I am responsible for my swing and shot results but it's also nice to have some confidence in my equipment.
r7 CGB Max 10.5*
r7 CGB Max Fairway Woods 3 & 5
Taylormade Rescue Mid 22* & 25*
Cobra S3 irons 6 - GW
Callaway MD2 56*
Callaway MD3 60*
Odyssey Milled Collection 2

24

#25 justincredible04

justincredible04

    Justincase1004

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60545
  • Joined: 07/15/2008
  • Location:Idaho
  • Ebay ID:justincase1004
GolfWRX Likes : 494

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:34 AM

 lambo428, on 17 May 2018 - 06:08 PM, said:

I don't get on with Callaway or Srixon balls because they're way too curvy off the tee. Initially, playing golf with cheapo 2 piece balls, I just thought curvy shots were the norm for me until I tried the original Bridgestone e6 which was the straightest ball I ever played at that time.  Being curious, I found out that Bridgestone balls had a dimple count of 330 and the cheapo balls that I was playing had a dimple count over 400.  Now I never play a ball with a dimple count over 330 or Callaway/Srixon balls.  So currently I play the NXT Tours S or the Velocity; for urethane I've had good luck with ProV1s and Bridgestones.  Recently found a prior gen Project (a) ball (350ish dimples), curve city off the tee. Of course, I am responsible for my swing and shot results but it's also nice to have some confidence in my equipment.

The ball doesn’t know the difference between side spin and back spin, it just spins less off the driver. A golf ball isn’t going to fly any “straighter” than another golf ball...but it will spin less


25

#26 lambo428

lambo428

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251166
  • Joined: 05/17/2013
  • Location:San Francisco, CA
  • Handicap:High
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:41 PM

 justincredible04, on 18 May 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

 lambo428, on 17 May 2018 - 06:08 PM, said:

I don't get on with Callaway or Srixon balls because they're way too curvy off the tee. Initially, playing golf with cheapo 2 piece balls, I just thought curvy shots were the norm for me until I tried the original Bridgestone e6 which was the straightest ball I ever played at that time.  Being curious, I found out that Bridgestone balls had a dimple count of 330 and the cheapo balls that I was playing had a dimple count over 400.  Now I never play a ball with a dimple count over 330 or Callaway/Srixon balls.  So currently I play the NXT Tours S or the Velocity; for urethane I've had good luck with ProV1s and Bridgestones.  Recently found a prior gen Project (a) ball (350ish dimples), curve city off the tee. Of course, I am responsible for my swing and shot results but it's also nice to have some confidence in my equipment.

The ball doesn’t know the difference between side spin and back spin, it just spins less off the driver. A golf ball isn’t going to fly any “straighter” than another golf ball...but it will spin less

My bottom line is confidence in my equipment (including ball) is paramount when I'm preparing to tee off.  As I said, my swing good or bad is on me.
r7 CGB Max 10.5*
r7 CGB Max Fairway Woods 3 & 5
Taylormade Rescue Mid 22* & 25*
Cobra S3 irons 6 - GW
Callaway MD2 56*
Callaway MD3 60*
Odyssey Milled Collection 2

26

#27 Jackrwesty

Jackrwesty

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497494
  • Joined: 03/30/2018
  • Location:California
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:Jacksonwestermeyer19
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:32 PM

Thanks every one !!

27

#28 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Joined: 04/05/2014
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:19 PM

I've found the Chrome Soft and the Titleist NXT to be straight to the point where it's too hard for me to move it, but they are the longest balls I've hit... But What you want is the softest compression ball with a very thin cover, or a cover not made from urethane.  The Titleist AVX looks like it should be pretty difficult to curve as it's got a low compression core and a low spin cover.
You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

28

#29 Jackrwesty

Jackrwesty

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 497494
  • Joined: 03/30/2018
  • Location:California
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:Jacksonwestermeyer19
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 03 June 2018 - 02:45 PM

 Hubijerk, on 28 May 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

I've found the Chrome Soft and the Titleist NXT to be straight to the point where it's too hard for me to move it, but they are the longest balls I've hit... But What you want is the softest compression ball with a very thin cover, or a cover not made from urethane.  The Titleist AVX looks like it should be pretty difficult to curve as it's got a low compression core and a low spin cover.

I play the chromesofts and feel they are th shortest and the hardest to control ! Thangs weird . But I have played nxt and did like those !! Thanks

29



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors