Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Indianapolis - where to play?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JDFish

JDFish

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135069
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 177

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:58 AM

I ran a search and came up with a thread a few years old.  I'll be in Indianapolis for a weekend and may have time to squeeze in a round of golf.  I played the Brickyard several years ago and enjoyed the novelty of it and the fact that it is fairly close to where we are staying downtown, but the course is closed during our stay.  The Fort seemed to be the highest recommended course in the old thread.  Is that still the case?  TIA.

Edited by JDFish, 07 May 2018 - 12:12 PM.

Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
Callaway XR 14.5*
Callaway XR 5 wood
Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
Evnroll ER8 33"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 JDFish

JDFish

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:10 PM

I'm shocked with the widespread wisdom in this forum that no one has any suggestions.  Shocked, I say.

Edited by JDFish, 08 May 2018 - 03:11 PM.

Callaway XR 14.5*
Callaway XR 5 wood
Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
Evnroll ER8 33"

#3 bwrichmond

bwrichmond

Bomb and gouge??? More like bomb, search, gouge if you find it

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243955
  • Ebay ID:ballstballa
GolfWRX Likes : 523

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:16 PM

You can't really go wrong with any of the following:

The Fort
Prairie View
Trophy Club
Purgatory
Bear Slide

None of these is near downtown, however.  If you have a car, no problem.  All are within a half hour to 45 mins.  If you don't have a car, it might be tough, as the public transportation in Indy is pretty garbage.
TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

#4 JDFish

JDFish

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:21 PM

Thanks - I just found the Midwest section and posted there so apologies for the double post.  I have a car but will have to return downtown to pick up the family and then head home so I was hoping to minimize the driving distance/time.
Callaway XR 14.5*
Callaway XR 5 wood
Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
Evnroll ER8 33"

#5 bwrichmond

bwrichmond

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

Unfortunately, there's not much great golf downtown that's not private.  If you're having to come back downtown, I'd say the Fort is probably most accessible.  About 20 minutes or so each way both out of and back into downtown.

#6 runningdog

runningdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 414098
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:08 AM

I usually spend a few weeks there doing real estate work each summer and try to play a few times each week.  The last couple posts are totally right about a lack of public golf near downtown....but within 30 minutes it's got some of the greatest inexpensive public golf I've ever come across.
My favorites are Trophy Club and Purgatory, with The Fort close behind.  I've actually played quite a few rounds at the local muni Sarah Shank, which for $20 walking is a pretty great deal.  It's doesn't sniff Purgatory or Trophy Club, but it's a great little muni and I've always enjoyed it. If you've got an extra 36 or 48 hours, make the trip down to French Lick.  The Donald Ross course there is fantastic. And while it doesn't say it online, the 18 hole rate is actually a day rate, so you can play two rounds there easily. Never played the Pete Dye course because the price is north of $400 with caddie fees (but also unlimited golf).  But Sultan's Run, 25 mins away, is also great.  But the Donald Ross course is the real reason to go.
Just a half hour further north of Trophy Club is Purdue and Dye's Kampden Course.  Bring your A game and play from the right tees. It's a beast, but fantastic.
But whenever I'm paying $40-50 here in Philadelphia to play average public courses, I'm always wishing I was back in Indy playing Purgatory and Trophy Club (which might be the best deal I've ever come across).

#7 bwrichmond

bwrichmond

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:44 AM

View Postrunningdog, on 09 May 2018 - 01:08 AM, said:

I usually spend a few weeks there doing real estate work each summer and try to play a few times each week.  The last couple posts are totally right about a lack of public golf near downtown....but within 30 minutes it's got some of the greatest inexpensive public golf I've ever come across.
My favorites are Trophy Club and Purgatory, with The Fort close behind.  I've actually played quite a few rounds at the local muni Sarah Shank, which for $20 walking is a pretty great deal.  It's doesn't sniff Purgatory or Trophy Club, but it's a great little muni and I've always enjoyed it. If you've got an extra 36 or 48 hours, make the trip down to French Lick.  The Donald Ross course there is fantastic. And while it doesn't say it online, the 18 hole rate is actually a day rate, so you can play two rounds there easily. Never played the Pete Dye course because the price is north of $400 with caddie fees (but also unlimited golf).  But Sultan's Run, 25 mins away, is also great.  But the Donald Ross course is the real reason to go.
Just a half hour further north of Trophy Club is Purdue and Dye's Kampden Course.  Bring your A game and play from the right tees. It's a beast, but fantastic.
But whenever I'm paying $40-50 here in Philadelphia to play average public courses, I'm always wishing I was back in Indy playing Purgatory and Trophy Club (which might be the best deal I've ever come across).

I'm so glad you mentioned Sarah Shank because I wasn't going to.  However, this is my "home course" if you will, and your assessment is dead on.  The course isn't as challenging or as memorable as some of the other courses on the list, but the greens rival the best in the state and the course is just fun to play.

#8 exgolfpro

exgolfpro

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45140
  • Ebay ID:exgolfpro
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:44 AM

Was in Indy, Sept 2016 to watch the BMW Championship.  While there we played The Fort, The Trophy Club, Prairie View and Brickyard.  If I were going back to Indy again, I would try and play The Trophy Club again.  Such a good public course.  If you only had time for one round, I would go there.

#9 JDFish

JDFish

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for all of the recommendations.  With a change in my daughters' schedule I have only a small window to play on Saturday and The Fort was the only course with a tee time available in that window.  Looking forward to playing there.
Callaway XR 14.5*
Callaway XR 5 wood
Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
Evnroll ER8 33"

#10 bwrichmond

bwrichmond

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:24 PM

View PostJDFish, on 09 May 2018 - 01:44 PM, said:

Thanks for all of the recommendations.  With a change in my daughters' schedule I have only a small window to play on Saturday and The Fort was the only course with a tee time available in that window.  Looking forward to playing there.

I think you'll enjoy The Fort, especially if you're going soon.  Courses in Indiana are filling in really nicely and our weather has been really good for growing grass and playing recently.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 JDFish

JDFish

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

Thanks again for all of the recommendations.  We played The Fort on Saturday morning.  It was a breezy morning, which made made it more of a challenge.  But what a beautiful golf course - elevation changes, rolling terrain, a mix of narrow and wide fairways.  Pete Dye did a great job here.  The rough was thick, deep and wet.  The sand was consistent in the traps I found myself in - very fluffy by comparison to my home course.  My only criticism was the greens.  Though they looked smooth, they were somewhat bumpy which made it difficult to hole a putt (I only made 1 put outside of 3 feet all day).  And they were not as fast as the practice green, which I always hate.  But I would definitely play the course again.  The staff was friendly and we regularly were greeted by rangers asking us how the course and pace were - there was an open tee time and 3some in front of us and we didn't wait on a shot until the 16th hole (they were part of a large group playing a scramble).
Callaway XR 14.5*
Callaway XR 5 wood
Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
Evnroll ER8 33"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors