Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

U.S. Open Qualifying

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 841

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

Lots of hopefuls out there trying to qualify for this year's US Open at Shinnecock Hills over the next two and a half weeks.  Looking at the qualifying sites there are some with really low entries (Las Cruces, NM - 26 for 2 spots) and some have a ton of players (Cincinnati, OH - 168 for 10 spots).  If you're picking a spot to qualify (for the US Open or any tournament requiring a qualifier) what are you looking for?  Would you look for a site near home so you can get in as many practice rounds as possible, a location with a lot of spots available or a field as small as possible?  Seems like there would be a way to maximize your odds (other than playing really well) but I seem to have over analyzed it and can't figure it out.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 7212

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:27 AM

Locals Id want smallest and weakest field and largest field with most spots for sectionals.

#3 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:6.1

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

Assuming the schedules are the same as previous years, I'd stay as far away from the Cincy one as possible. Normally half the field at the Memorial ends up driving down to play in that Sectional.

^ yes "half the field" is an exageration but its still a lot of players.
M3 9.5 - AD-DI6x Black
M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
Cobra F8 One Length 5-GW - Steelfiber 110s
TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5

#4 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99257
  • Ebay ID:ajjustin
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

My son played on a US Open Qualifier last year at Fountaingrove in Santa Rosa, unfortunately the club house burned down during the Santa Rosa fire, beautiful place.  Anyway, those greens were lightening fast.  40% of the field WD that day.  The qualifiers shot 72, even par.  No one broke par.

They are not as strict now but it used to be if you don't hit with 8 strokes of course rating you would receive the death letter.  Saying that you have 1 year to prove with genuine tournament scores that you are truly a 1 handicap or you would be banned for life form the US Open.  Last year my son's friend shot a 95 at Ruby Hill, I don't know what he was thinking, all the damage was in the back nine.  I think the ban now is 3 years which for boys heading to college next year is a pretty big blow, not being able to play even a qualifier while your other teammates do.

Edited by jollysammy, 07 May 2018 - 12:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors