Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Clubhouse pairing groups(or lack of it)

41 replies to this topic

#1 jli2636

jli2636

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129436
GolfWRX Likes : 330

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:15 PM

Maybe someone in the industry can enlighten me: why are clubhouse guys so reluctant to pair smaller groups together? I showed up at the public course I have a season pass at around 3:30 this afternoon. I go in and ask if thereís room for a single, realizing the chances are probably slim but definitely not expecting to go out by myself. Kid behind the counter says ďit might be about 30-45 minutes before I could get you outĒ. I ask if I can pair up with any of those groups after looking down at the tee sheet and seeing a bunch of 2ís marked down. He looked at me like I had 2 heads. At the same time theres a twosome just arriving to the first tee. I ask can I just pair with them since Iím ready to go? He says ďI guessĒ.

So after all that I ask the guys on the tee if I can join them, they say sure, but then drive off as Iím getting ready to put the tee in the ground. I stood there for a few minutes trying to process what happened. Then a different guy comes out of the clubhouse and tells me to just go off the back.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 BigSky59

BigSky59

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 304475
  • Handicap:+3
GolfWRX Likes : 195

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:18 PM

I'd say it's the exact opposite.  I want groups consolidated and paired up.

#3 tatertot

tatertot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87030
GolfWRX Likes : 3547

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:21 PM

In Iowa, where I'm from, most of the people I meet act scared to deat yo play with strangers.

Busy course today, played as a single after my playing partner left, caught up to a twosome, they invited me to play thru. I was just going to run into a series of foursomes, so I asked if they minded if I just played with them. They looked at me like I had a third eye on my forehead. But they said yes ... And we had a great time, and found out we had a mutual friend, and had a lot of laughs.
Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Irons: Ping Eye2, 2-9 iron
Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
Putter: Cameron Studio Stainless Mid Sur, 34"

#4 BMC

BMC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108173
  • Handicap:YES
GolfWRX Likes : 2939

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:12 PM

Courses have the power to control their tee times.  They make a big mistake when they don't try to create threesomes and foursomes with singles and twosomes.  On a busy day it just helps the flow.

That said, a course employee should have made the twosome aware that you'd be joining them.  Golf shop staff is just lazy, ignorant, or understaffed.  

I say this as someone who works the golf shop at a 900 member 54 hole facility.  I always try to pair single members with players they might enjoy playing with.
NIKE Vapor Pro driver
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Cobra Baffler Pro 4-hybrid
MacGregor VIP (1990) irons PW-5
Vokey wedges
Odyssey #7 Tank 38"

#5 mac4pres

mac4pres

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104600
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:22 AM

We try hard to group people into foursomes, however as other people have said some golfers are paranoid to play with other people and will bypass all decency to avoid it.

#6 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
  • Handicap:wife
GolfWRX Likes : 350

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:21 PM

yeah i see it a bit at my club, folks just not wanting to pair up. i say if that is the case then they need to pay for all 4 slots.

#7 IfICouldOnlyPutt

IfICouldOnlyPutt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 239569
  • Ebay ID:joeydumont
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

View Postprsgtrman, on 06 May 2018 - 08:21 PM, said:

yeah i see it a bit at my club, folks just not wanting to pair up. i say if that is the case then they need to pay for all 4 slots.

AMEN!  Every time has 4 or 5 (depending on the course) slots.  If you want all the slots you have to pay for them.  Obviously if the course is empty and you want to play alone go ahead, but Weekends and Holidays you are getting paired up!
Ping G LS Tec 9d w/ Graphite Design Tour AD S
Taylormade Rocketballz 3w w/ Graphite Design Tour AD s
TaylorMade RBZ TP 18.5* Stock
4-PW Srixon Z765 KBS C-Taper Lite Reg
50* 54* 58* Mizuno Mp-T5
Bettinardi Tiki

#8 CMCSGolf

CMCSGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 441076
GolfWRX Likes : 264

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:56 PM

I have had a few experiences like this that confuse me.  I agree, you should be paired up as much as possible and the course can dictate who plays with who if you haven't bought all 4 spots.  But then courses think about upsetting regulars who don't like to play with others....

I've played a lot of golf as a single in many cities, but only in Chicago have people declined when I asked to join them.  Once I had a group tell me to go ahead of them and another time they just said no and I had to play behind a threesome.  That being said, out of 100s of rounds, this is fortunately a rare experience.

#9 warrio17

warrio17

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 443684
  • Handicap:4.5
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:28 PM

My club does almost too good of a job at grouping people up. I typically play as a solo and join a threesome. When I get to the first tee, Iím forced to join or they join my cart. Iím all about meeting new people and joining up but sometimes I just want my own space, drink some beers and not have to sit next to a stranger for four hours. I mean I play from the tips (7100) and I could be in the cart with someone playing two or three boxes up. This just slows down the round; they could be preparing to hit their ball on some holes (obviously not if their tee is directly in front of me). Why canít I just have my own cart!!  Is it just me or does this seem pointless?!?!
Posted Image  Epic SubZero 9* Fujikura Atmos Blue label 7X
Posted Image  Epic SubZero 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue label 8X
Posted Image Tour Preferred UDI 2 Iron 18* UST Mamiya Prototype Utility 110F5
Posted Image RescueDual TP 2 Hybrid 18* True Temper Project X HB6 (interchanges with the UDI)
Posted Image JPX 900 Forged 4-GW 1* weak KBS C-Taper X 130g
Posted Image Vokey Design V Grind SM6 54* KBS 2.0 HiRev X
Posted Image Vokey Design V Grind SM6 58* KBS 2.0 HiRev X
Posted Image Circle T 009M Chromatic Bronze Flojet Neck 35" A041795 (Gamer)
Posted Image Tour Newport Slant Neck Crown "O"
Posted Image Select Newport 2.5 35"
Posted Image Chromatic Blue 1995 1st Run Coronado

instagram: @westongarner

#10 BMC

BMC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108173
  • Handicap:YES
GolfWRX Likes : 2939

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:41 PM

View Postwarrio17, on 12 May 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

My club does almost too good of a job at grouping people up. I typically play as a solo and join a threesome. When I get to the first tee, I'm forced to join or they join my cart. I'm all about meeting new people and joining up but sometimes I just want my own space, drink some beers and not have to sit next to a stranger for four hours. I mean I play from the tips (7100) and I could be in the cart with someone playing two or three boxes up. This just slows down the round; they could be preparing to hit their ball on some holes (obviously not if their tee is directly in front of me). Why can't I just have my own cart!!  Is it just me or does this seem pointless?!?!

Courses want to keep cart traffic on the fairways to a minimum.  But I get what your saying.  If the cart fee is $20, would you pay $30 to ride by yourself with a threesome of strangers?  Just asking because I work at a club that is strict  about  pairing players in carts.

NIKE Vapor Pro driver
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Cobra Baffler Pro 4-hybrid
MacGregor VIP (1990) irons PW-5
Vokey wedges
Odyssey #7 Tank 38"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Edaw68

Edaw68

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309951
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 947

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:09 AM

Was this an employee who had been there a while or was new?  I've seen this happen at my daily fee course where some clubhouse employees do what they can to get people grouped up on busy days, but some are obviously new and were probably selling DVD's at Walmart last week.  They'll learn eventually.

#12 chris975d

chris975d

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404098
  • Ebay ID:jscott8307
GolfWRX Likes : 976

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:40 AM

As a course GM, and having been in the business for over 23 years, I've seen this "trend" of people not wanting to be paired up with strangers getting worse and worse as years go by. It seems to be a bigger societal trend imof just being more self absorbed and anti social in general.  

We try to STRONGLY suggest pairing up as much as possible, but if a group is adamant they don't want to pair up, then we explain to them how slow it may be playing amongst 3s and 4s, and let them go. Course owners are very sensitive to complaints, particularly when people ask for refunds because they are not going to play with strangers.  

Its still hard for me to accept this, as when I was introduced to golf way back at 5 years old or so, if my dad and I went to play on the weekends with just the two of us, we basically couldn't even get a tee time.  We had to hang out and wait for another single or 2some to get paired up with...or bring 2 more players. Course owners (I've worked with and known many over the years) are just so scared of complaints that they are increasingly allowing more and more customer "liberties" to be taken.  I have a local competitor (fellow GM/owner and is also an owner operator) that has flat out told cutsomers that he will allow just about anything as long as his course stays full. In this particular instance, he apparently was speaking of letting people go literally anywhere in their golf carts(tee boxes, fringes of the greens), as long as it kept them moving faster.  Our courses have a lot of common customers, and I've heard this from several of their mouths.

#13 jli2636

jli2636

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:52 AM

View Postchris975d, on 13 May 2018 - 08:40 AM, said:

As a course GM, and having been in the business for over 23 years, I've seen this "trend" of people not wanting to be paired up with strangers getting worse and worse as years go by. It seems to be a bigger societal trend imof just being more self absorbed and anti social in general.  

We try to STRONGLY suggest pairing up as much as possible, but if a group is adamant they don't want to pair up, then we explain to them how slow it may be playing amongst 3s and 4s, and let them go. Course owners are very sensitive to complaints, particularly when people ask for refunds because they are not going to play with strangers.  

Its still hard for me to accept this, as when I was introduced to golf way back at 5 years old or so, if my dad and I went to play on the weekends with just the two of us, we basically couldn't even get a tee time.  We had to hang out and wait for another single or 2some to get paired up with...or bring 2 more players. Course owners (I've worked with and known many over the years) are just so scared of complaints that they are increasingly allowing more and more customer "liberties" to be taken.  I have a local competitor (fellow GM/owner and is also an owner operator) that has flat out told cutsomers that he will allow just about anything as long as his course stays full. In this particular instance, he apparently was speaking of letting people go literally anywhere in their golf carts(tee boxes, fringes of the greens), as long as it kept them moving faster.  Our courses have a lot of common customers, and I've heard this from several of their mouths.

If they donít want to be paired up they can pay for all 4 slots. I know it puts you in a tough spot as a GM, but if people care that much about playing alone then they need to pay up for it. Like you I grew up always expecting to get paired up if I went out by myself or if my dad and I went out. We just played a couple weeks ago and he made the comment as we were in the practice green ďwhen u was your age the pro shop would never let 2somes go out on a Sunday morning.Ē Now this would obviously only matter when the course is busy. If itís empty then let it be, but if itís a packed tee sheet, pairing up needs to happen.

#14 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 690

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

One of the clubs I belong to has no tee times and they never pair us up. I donít really understand why as we are completely open to it and have offered. That said, we walk 99%+ of the time and I understand why they donít pair us with people in carts. Still, pace of play is normally 3:30-3:45 so it works out as it is a nice casual stroll for two people. We end up waiting a few seconds on most shots but nothing substantial.

#15 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,022 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
GolfWRX Likes : 1354

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:48 PM

I won't lie I avoid being paired with strangers if at all possible. Nothing personal simply too many variables I don't care to content with during my free time. Having said that we almost always have a foursome so it rarely becomes an issue. On the rare occasion I'm a single I really enjoy the peace of playing alone and it will always be twilight and 9 holes only. I would never force my way through groups just play a few balls and practice until the green clears. Now if I exclusively played as a single or twosome during peak hours it would be assumed I would be required to join up for the sake of pace. BB

Irons: Titleist 918cb's
Drivers: Ping G400
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's  
Putter: Toulon Indianapolis
Balls: 2017 B330s

#16 DrOldSchool

DrOldSchool

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381708
  • Handicap:4.9
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

I've had both ends of the spectrum this past week... the first example I was a single and the starter sent off 3 twosomes before pairing me with a threesome. The 3 definitely weren't happy about it and were very cold towards me. They averaged somewhere between 9-10 strokes each on the first 3 holes and they were dressed down by a course maintenance worker for completely ignoring the cart signs around a green. After the 3rd hole, the twosome that went off before us were 3 holes ahead, and I excused myself, took off, and caught the previous twosome and had a good time showing them around the rest of course since they had never played it. When I left the course upon conclusion the road takes me past a few holes, and those 3 guys I left behind were on the 13th tee with a line behind them.

But yesterday (Saturday morning) I was in the second tee time after a small morning event as a twosome at a different course. Except the starter split all the twosomes rather than pairing us up. So while we went off on time, the other twosome that would've filled the time followed us the whole round, and we were 2-3 deep as twosomes on every tee since the time before us split the same way. Which made no sense but no one took the initiative to pair up on the course.

Edited by DrOldSchool, 13 May 2018 - 04:11 PM.

#17 chris975d

chris975d

Major Winner

• 1,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404098
  • Ebay ID:jscott8307
GolfWRX Likes : 976

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:54 AM

View Postjli2636, on 13 May 2018 - 09:52 AM, said:

If they don't want to be paired up they can pay for all 4 slots. I know it puts you in a tough spot as a GM, but if people care that much about playing alone then they need to pay up for it. Like you I grew up always expecting to get paired up if I went out by myself or if my dad and I went out. We just played a couple weeks ago and he made the comment as we were in the practice green "when u was your age the pro shop would never let 2somes go out on a Sunday morning." Now this would obviously only matter when the course is busy. If it's empty then let it be, but if it's a packed tee sheet, pairing up needs to happen.

The issue with making them "pay for all 4 slots" is another circular problem, just like this issue of lack of pairing up of groups, or even slow play issues.  I'd LOVE to do that as a GM, but it really does nothing to solve it if I'm the only course in the area that does.  As soon as I start to, those customers will just leave and go to one of the many other courses in the area that will let them play as a single or twosome, as well as complain to ownership.  Typically when course owners receive complaints, and see customers leaving to go elsewhere, they will overreact and ask us to reverse course on anything we've done that customers seem to not like (i.e, the complainers).  And in a hyper competitive golf market like metro Atlanta (that I'm in), course owners will do anything they can to get/retain customers and not have them complain.  Such as not allow many of us at the GM/head pro level to create or enforce any policy that runs anyone off.  One of the main reasons it's so hard to actually enforce slow players to either pick up the pace, skip holes to catch up, or as I've even attempted in the past, to give them a rain check and have them come back on a less busy day.  Usually as soon as those customers complain to ownership or write negative reviews online (this is a thing most owners are VERY sensitive to), we at the operations level are asked to back off/be more "accommodating".

Not saying this is happening with my course's current ownership, as I have a little bit more final say-so in things now than I have under previous owners I've worked for, but I've seen and experienced it A LOT first hand, as well as talking to other colleagues/course managers.

Edited by chris975d, 15 May 2018 - 01:02 PM.

#18 vallygolf

vallygolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366851
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:26 PM

View PostBig Ben, on 13 May 2018 - 01:48 PM, said:

I won't lie I avoid being paired with strangers if at all possible. Nothing personal simply too many variables I don't care to content with during my free time. Having said that we almost always have a foursome so it rarely becomes an issue. On the rare occasion I'm a single I really enjoy the peace of playing alone and it will always be twilight and 9 holes only. I would never force my way through groups just play a few balls and practice until the green clears. Now if I exclusively played as a single or twosome during peak hours it would be assumed I would be required to join up for the sake of pace. BB

My sentiments are similar.  My world is full of high interpersonal interaction time.  My preference would be to play alone as it is the only alone time I get.  With that said, I would never ask to be let out as a single if the tee sheet is full, and have enjoyed many rounds with strangers.  I normally play when the course is empty......like starting now in Az.

#19 jli2636

jli2636

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:51 PM

View Postchris975d, on 15 May 2018 - 11:54 AM, said:

If they don't want to be paired up they can pay for all 4 slots. I know it puts you in a tough spot as a GM, but if people care that much about playing alone then they need to pay up for it. Like you I grew up always expecting to get paired up if I went out by myself or if my dad and I went out. We just played a couple weeks ago and he made the comment as we were in the practice green "when u was your age the pro shop would never let 2somes go out on a Sunday morning." Now this would obviously only matter when the course is busy. If it's empty then let it be, but if it's a packed tee sheet, pairing up needs to happen.

The issue with making them "pay for all 4 slots" is another circular problem, just like this issue of lack of pairing up of groups, or even slow play issues.  I'd LOVE to do that as a GM, but it really does nothing to solve it if I'm the only course in the area that does.  As soon as I start to, those customers will just leave and go to one of the many other courses in the area that will let them play as a single or twosome, as well as complain to ownership.  Typically when course owners receive complaints, and see customers leaving to go elsewhere, they will overreact and ask us to reverse course on anything we've done that customers seem to not like (i.e, the complainers).  And in a hyper competitive golf market like metro Atlanta (that I'm in), course owners will do anything they can to get/retain customers and not have them complain.  Such as not allow many of us at the GM/head pro level to create or enforce any policy that runs anyone off.  One of the main reasons it's so hard to actually enforce slow players to either pick up the pace, skip holes to catch up, or as I've even attempted in the past, to give them a rain check and have them come back on a less busy day.  Usually as soon as those customers complain to ownership or write negative reviews online (this is a thing most owners are VERY sensitive to), we at the operations level are asked to back off/be more "accommodating".

Not saying this is happening with my course's current ownership, as I have a little bit more final say-so in things now than I have under previous owners I've worked for, but I've seen and experienced it A LOT first hand, as well as talking to other colleagues/course managers.

Yeah I get it, thatís why I said it puts you in a tough spot as a GM. Thereís no simple answer unfortunately to keep everyone happy.

#20 Bourni1

Bourni1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 361757
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

My club does not allow singles or pairs on Wednesday afternoon, Saturday, and Sunday mornings.  To book a tee time you must either play in groups of at least 3 or be willing to wait around and be grouped.  Although I have never seen anyone decline to accept a single, our regular Starter knows who to pair with.

EBR

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 DonatelloNobodie

DonatelloNobodie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 321071
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

I hate to sit next to someone on an airplane, yet the airlines always sit someone next to me....

#22 mikedejong

mikedejong

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90109
  • Handicap:1.9
GolfWRX Likes : 326

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:08 PM

A couple of years ago my wife and I went on a golf vacation to Scotland. We played 8 rounds in 10 days and at each and every course the pro shop or starter would ask us if we would like to be paired up with members that could show us around and help us out. I would say that we would prefer to play just the two of us, and they would say enjoy your day, the tee is yours. I liked that approach. If you want to be paired up or find a game they will accommodate, but if you wanted to play alone they didn't mind either. It was a much more relaxed way to play especially with the wife who was nervous enough. I get it here in North America, that wouldn't work as its all about squeezing in as many paying rounds as possible, as opposed to just having a more enjoyable experience. I don't mind getting paired up, most people are good to play with. But I also like the odd round by myself or just with a buddy.
TM R9 Supertri TP
TM R9 3 Wood TP
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Wilson Staff FG62 4-PW (or Ping I25 4-9)
Wilson Staff FG Tour 52-56-60 (or Ping Glide 2.0 46-50-56-60)
Scotty Cameron GOLO

#23 munihack

munihack

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194186
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:20 PM

if I don't want to be paired up I play either first thing or around 3 oclock and if I do get paired up I just accept it. I think everyone I have played with has been fine. I have thought about just buying all 4 spots though if I really wanted to play alone

#24 ArtMBgolf

ArtMBgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476646
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:01 PM

The golfers who don't want to be paired up are either so bad they don't want to be embarrassed or they are avid golfers not wanting their
round ruined by someone why may be the pairing from hell.     If they have no choice, like on a crowded day, they soften up when they find
out you are reasonable to good to play with.  

I recommend if you have your choice of who to join, join other singles or a twosome, rather than a threesome.   Threesomes usually have one
guy who doesn't like the idea or just happen to be missing their 4th that day and are not used to being paired up.  

In a tee time situation, the starters usually do the pairing.  On non busy times, the course is happy to let the course be full of 1's and 2's.

#25 CDM

CDM

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46064
GolfWRX Likes : 413

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

I am 50/50 on being paired up. When playing home courses I like to play with people I know or try to get in smaller groups as I have had some bad experiences.

When I travel to play most the times I am solo so I am paired up. It can be nice to be paired up as you might get some course knowledge from players..... BUT I have had some serious nightmares happen too. I had a really bad experience with a bachelor party group of 7 people who were pretty much WRECKED by hole 8.   They were asked to leave the course around hole 12 and initially I got lumped in with them by the marshall  LOL

#26 jli2636

jli2636

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:46 AM

Bumping this as I had another experience at my home course(public course that I have a season pass to) this morning. I call around 8 AM asking if thereís any room for a single fully expecting to get told ďwe can try to fit you in but it might be a whileĒ but I get told that I can play 9 holes off the back only if I get there before 9. So I head over thinking 9 holes is better than nothing. I glance at the te sheet when I check in and ask if thereís anyone I can pair up with to play 18 and the guy behind the counter says ďnope, youíll just head over to 10Ē before I can even finish my question. Meanwhile, there was a twosome checking in in front of me, so I think there are 4 total and the other 2 just arenít there yet or are out  on the practice green. I think nothing of it until I get to 10 and the twosome goes off as a twosome... now if itís not busy, I get it. But itís a holiday weekend at 8:30 in the morning and they had a pretty full tee sheet after that. Not a tournament, just tee times. If there was a tournament I would understand, but for a day of just tee times that was pretty unacceptable to me. Then to top it all off there was a twosome and a single in front of me in ge back. The single hit 3 balls off the 11th tee as I was on the 10th green(par 3) then walks over to his Cart and sits and messes with his phone. Meanwhile I get to the tee box thinking heís going to let me through, and as I put my tee in the ground he drives off without a word. And zig zags across the entire hole going to his 3 different tee shots he hit. Also throughout playing the back 9 you can see spots into the front 9 occasionally and I saw at least 5 twosomes that all were in the front 9.

Edited by jli2636, 03 September 2018 - 10:47 AM.

#27 GoGoErky

GoGoErky

• 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445702
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:51 AM

Personally I donít care if I get paired up and pretty much expect it if I am a single.  An employee not pairing up doesnít make sense and sounds like he was intimidated to ask/tell the other group(s) they were getting a single with them

#28 birdie_hunter

birdie_hunter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374545
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:hoopswoops2010
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 04 September 2018 - 04:17 AM

I must admit that I am not a fan of being paired up, as a twosome, with another twosome. If the tee sheet is full then Iíll suck it up and, of course, be friendly and courteous but I do try to avoid it all costs. Foursomes are slower and Iím not to keen on hanging with strangers for 4 hours.

I also feel that most courses want foursomes going out more for some reason, regardless of how crowded it is. Last weekend my brother and I were getting ready to go off when the starter introduces to the 2 guys we were to be playing with. Now when I made the tee time a couple hours before it was pretty empty (they had just aerated) but the starter still paired us up.  Luckily the group we got paired with actually wanted to play a different 18.  We got to the first tee (you can see the first 3 holes completely) and there was no golfers on the first 3 holes. What was the starter thinking?
Nike Covert 2.0 (Matte Black) w/ ????(still deciding)
Cleveland Launcher 3W - 13* w/ Miyazaki C. Kua X-Flex
Cleveland Launcher 3W - 18* w/ Miyazaki C. Kua X-Flex
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged w/ C-Taper Lite Stiff
Mizuno T4 56*
Cleveland Rotex 60*
Nike Method Core MC 04w

#29 Bluefan75

Bluefan75

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56847
GolfWRX Likes : 931

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:44 AM

View Postchris975d, on 15 May 2018 - 11:54 AM, said:

Here's the thing.  If you can establish yourself as the course that will, you will see the business come to you.

You illustrate perfectly the problem with course owners.  They see the one group that is slow and are so scared to risk losing four green fees, that they completely ignore the fact that there are 15 groups behind them that are po'd at the course for allowing this to happen.  I know I will avoid a course known to be slow, and I will point out the reputation every chance I get.  If the owner cares so little about it, then I'm going to make sure people know what they are buying.

I do not understand why courses are so willing to let a group of three dictate who uses or doesn't use that fourth spot.  It's course's time, not theirs, unless they pay for it.

#30 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,900 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 3848

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:47 AM

I don't get the guys who are scared of getting paired up with strangers.

I just don't.

Posted Image

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors