Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Stag Cleek Mark Verification

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tc3putter

tc3putter

tc3putter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357647
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:parrotman287
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:09 PM

My latest restoration project a lovely large headed Niblick, Iím a bit unsure of the maker though, I know the Running Stag is the Cleek Mark of The St Andrews Golf Co but the only reference I can find on the net for the Stags Head is at hickoryjohan.se which says the Stags Head is also St Andrews Golf Co but an earlier version, I canít find any proof of this so any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Tim

Attached Files

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 stixman

stixman

Hew to the line. Let the divots fall where they may. 1926 Golf I

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131937
GolfWRX Likes : 1591

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

That cleekmark is of the Glasgow Golf Company run by Charles Millar. He emigrated to Canada in 1920 where he continued his business.

Regarding The St Andrews Golf Company, you and your informant have it wrong, in it's origins at least.
The Running Stag is the cleekmark of The St Andrew Golf Company of Glasgow and Dunfermline, nothing to do with the town of St Andrews in Fife.

The St Andrew Golf Company is especially important on these pages because in addition to making hickory sticks they became associated with Wilson and operated as first, importers and then manufacturers under licence for Wilson. Early imports and copies included patents by Willie Ogg, Denny Shute irons and R90 copies.
Probably belongs in the UK Classic Clubs thread, nice club!!

Edited by stixman, 08 May 2018 - 08:49 AM.

Vintage various.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors