Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Monte's way, anyone here following it who has had success.

49 replies to this topic

#1 Steven19114

Steven19114

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 495108
  • Handicap:19
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:17 PM

Hi,

Im looking for anybody who purchased monte's video's or who has used his "style" via you tube or maybe coaching who is willing to help me.

I feel there must be something I have missed, I have worked threw his drive for dough series and have had some of the best golf rounds of my life, but then 2 weeks go by and I just go back to being dog s*** again.
I want to stick to the ways he teaches but unfortunately he hasn't got online coaching set up as yet.

I primarily still fight bad contact and a slice with my longer clubs. I tend to focus on a good shoulder turn and "perfect back swing" as described in the drive for dough video series which makes it very simple i then try and race my right elbow to my belly and just let the rest take care of it self.

If someone is willing to analyze my swing ( Which also uses Monte's techniques etc ) I would really appreciate any feedback

Steven

Edited by Steven19114, 03 May 2018 - 12:18 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 SNIPERBBB

SNIPERBBB

Hit Ball Hard

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79142
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 528

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:28 PM

I've taken pieces of his videos and incorporated parts into my current game. Some others I had working well for a time but I think I started exaggerated it after a while and cut it back. But that kind of goes for all instruction if you don't work with a coach for us self-learners.
2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

#3 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 925
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 603

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:35 PM

His stuff is gold....the key is sticking with it (which is true regardless of who you work with).  To paraphrase something he says a lot....improvement is not linear, there will be peaks and valleys along the way but as long as the overall trend is up, you are on the right track.  I can certainly attest to this.  It's easy to give up after a couple of bad rounds but if you stick with it you will improve as long as what you are working on/your interpretation of his lessons is correct.  No disrespect to any other instructors on here but I won't work with anyone else.  

I thought he mentioned a while ago that if you email him he can do online lessons, though I could be wrong.  I see you're in South Africa so traveling to see him may be difficult but while online is certainly beneficial, in person is always best at least for me anyway.

Edited by ferrispgm, 03 May 2018 - 12:36 PM.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY:  Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid:  Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

#4 Gmcourtney

Gmcourtney

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 287013
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

First off, Drive for Dough is great. Lots of good info.  But if you’re trying to rebuild your swing on you’re own, there’s just too much there.  

Having watched almost everything on his you tube channel a couple years ago, i had learned a lot. But it wasn’t until seeing him in person, did I feel like I made a big stride in my ability.  I attribute it to a couple of things: (a) Getting clarification on ideas.  sometimes it’s easy to think you understand something from a video but really you’re mis interpreting it, (b) Focus. Getting direct feedback about where you need to work on first is a huge benefit.  I’d say the best part of the Monte “method” for me is the idea that my swing has half a dozen or more flaws, but there’s one or two that lead to the others.  It’s easy to self diagnose multiple problems, but finding the root cause is important and sequencing your effort in the right order is not always easy to self diagnose.

Get to one of the clinics if there’s one close to you this summer.  If not, take some videos and contact him by email.  I’m sure he wouldn’t turn down an online review/lesson.

#5 Steven19114

Steven19114

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:40 PM

Ye I really like his video's and I definitely don't want to seek other advice I just feel I am missing something and maybe someone who follows the same coach will be able to point it out.

Ye traveling to the US will mean I would have to sell my house so its not really a option haha.

He said online coaching will be part of his online platform soon, but not sure when that will be.

#6 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,998 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 6753

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:44 PM

View PostSteven19114, on 03 May 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

but unfortunately he hasn't got online coaching set up as yet.

Just contact him, he'll still do lessons via e-mail.

Edited by Stuart G., 03 May 2018 - 12:44 PM.

#7 Steven19114

Steven19114

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

View PostStuart G., on 03 May 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

View PostSteven19114, on 03 May 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

but unfortunately he hasn't got online coaching set up as yet.

Just contact him, he'll still do lessons via e-mail.

I already have shortly after buying drive for dough, he said it will be part of the new website.

#8 phillyspecial

phillyspecial

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68328
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:16 PM

It’s also easy to overdo any feel. You may have gone too far exaggerating a certain move. Post a video.

#9 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
GolfWRX Likes : 3190

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

I take lessons from Monte. Great teacher. He’s really good at ‘next step’ and moving you through a stepwise process of improvement.
Ping GMax 400 10.5
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Royal Collection 3, 4 h
Royal Collection 5-W
RomaRo Pro 3-W
TM P790 4-AW
Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
Cameron Futura 5W

If you see any more new irons before 2020, call the paramedics because my wife will have seriously injured me

#10 Deadaimz

Deadaimz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424474
  • Handicap:16.1
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:27 PM

I just attended his three day camp and in a way it was like watching his video in person. I've watched his videos hundreds of times they are worth it. I just shot my lowest round in a money gamei; with stiff 16mph winds and a lot of it was due to the three day camp. I highly recommend his videos and even more so live lessons.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:36 PM

As a side note....I highly recommend taking notes...did it this year and it really is helpful to have something to go back and reference.  I have been a part of a lot of clinics/lessons and the simplicity with how he explains things is great.  Plus the numerous smart*** comments are a welcome bonus lol.

#12 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,407 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 4584

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:43 PM

View Postphillyspecial, on 03 May 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

It’s also easy to overdo any feel. You may have gone too far exaggerating a certain move. Post a video.

In my experience, getting people to do anything differently, at all, is a nightmare. There's hope for those who overdue, at least. When people start doing something the 'right way', at first, they're not very good at it. Early attempts aren't even right. They're just failed attempts. Later on, they're closer to the right method, but they're the wrong amount. Rather than guessing what the right amount is, I think people would be better off were they to be able to do the method both too little and too much. From there, they can put something in the middle. 'Just right' is going to be somewhere in there, so now they can cut down on the possibilities, by half, by figuring out if 'just right' lies between the middle and too little, or the middle and too much. From there, they can repeat the process until they narrow it down to that which works very well.

#13 Ghost_556

Ghost_556

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 456538
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:20 PM

I've never met the man, but he has helped me tremendously.  Namely: Bump, Dump & Turn, No Cast, and most importantly Zipper Away has put a degenerate goat jumper on the path to recovery.  His other videos and IG have great content as well.  Fixing my swing has not been easy, but it will be worth it.

#14 q-school

q-school

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17088
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:10 AM

Monte’s a genius.
I think the most amazing thing is that he hasn’t punched me in the face.
I think online lesson from him would be very helpful.  I see you are like me, relatively higher handicap.  I think the hard part about drive for dough is picking the part that will help you and focusing on that part.  Trying to absorb too much at one time is not good for higher handicaps.
Basically every time i think i can fix it myself, i regret it.
Much better to avoid frustration and email.

But for the first like five times i saw him, it would be the same thing over and over.  And i swear to god that i practiced like crazy to get rid of old swing faults.  I took copious notes.  I filmed it as well.  I told my skilled friends what i was working on and to keep an eye on it to make sure i didn’t regress.

But after maybe four years, some of the changes are starting to stick.  For the first time in 10 years, I’ve been in first place in men’s league for any week, but now for three weeks straight (flighted).  My misses are better, my good shots are better,  my confidence is better.  Handicap at all time low.   Pretty much all due to Monte patiently and repeatedly helping me.  Before Monte over 25 years, i probably saw 15 instructors and got lessons at least monthly and never got better.  If he told me walking on fire would help my swing, i might not do it, but i would believe him.  :)

#15 Steven19114

Steven19114

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:23 AM

Ye i come to realize after watching one of his you tube video's he explains that people should treat a golf swing more like a diet where you should stick to the same strict routine for at least a month ( obvs longer just using a example ) before expecting any sort of results, I think i have been doing exactly what he says and as soon as i don't see decent results i start jumping around and never really get anywhere.

Ive decided to stick to the no turn cast drill and make that my golf swing, ill post a video here over the weekend and stick to just doing that the rest of the month and see how my golf is going then. Doesnt help I chop and change and every week my golf swing looks different, I should rather start building from a point.

Thanks for the comments and feeback, much appreciated.

#16 i*windows

i*windows

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26638
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 819

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:47 AM

Regardless of teacher/method, if you want to change your swing you either need to video every session you are doing, check each shot on camera/tablet/phone after you hit it. Or you need to have a pro watch you. I don't think it is possible to make big changes by yourself without checking every single swing, because you cant see what you are doing.

for example I have been working on getting my hands higher in the backswing for the last 2 years, at the range this weekend I took my camera to check progress, to me it feels like the hands are much higher, but on camera no change... if I videoed every shot and watched it back I would see this

Edited by i*windows, 04 May 2018 - 04:49 AM.

Just hit the damn ball.
TM R1
Adams Tight lies 2 5w
Cleveland Mashie 5h
Nike Covert Forged 2, 6-PW
Cleveland 588 Tour Action 51*
MD Golf Seve Sedona 58*
Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini.

#17 Jedaigeki

Jedaigeki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 407290
GolfWRX Likes : 179

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:00 AM

Been "converting" to Monte's methods over the past year or so. Really noticing better dispersion of my miss hits and range of yardarge (front to back) with each club.

The initial tracnsition from my old method to his took some time but once I got over the hump I really noticed a difference. Just stick with it and try not to make too many changes at once.

#18 Man_O_War

Man_O_War

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135721
GolfWRX Likes : 1141

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:34 AM

funny, i watched Clement videos religiously and Waldon's...after 4 Monte videos i realized he covers, improves their teachings without much fanfare...and he has a nice swing.
Cobra LTD Pro Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC
Cobra LTD 3/4  Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5  Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
Srixon Z965 4-PW DG 120 S400
RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
Machine LN M6/Ping G2 c67
TM TP5x/Srixon Z-STAR XV

#19 TPG1971

TPG1971

Don't Get Rolled

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 253910
  • Ebay ID:hogans_alley
GolfWRX Likes : 625

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:42 AM

Paging Schnee, Paging Schnee... You're needed in the Operating room.....
PING G30 9.5 Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 63 Stiff
Titleist 917F 16.5  Diamana Blue Stiff
Wilson Staff C300 Hybrid 23 Fujikura Pro78 Stiff
Irons TBD.
RTX-3 50 bent to 51 DG Ti Onyx S400
RTX-3 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
RTX-3 60 bent to 59 DG Ti Onyx S400
Cameron 009

#20 smdykas

smdykas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451598
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:seabassmd
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:33 AM

Monte has changed my game. The only thing I can't figure out is the turn. I got the bump and dump down I think.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Golfah

Golfah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 241809
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

I had a video lesson with Monte to try him out.  He actually nailed the top two issues resulting in my then inconsistency.  For one, the fix was right on.  For the other, it was a reaction to something else he didn't pick up on.  Unfortunately, the cause of both issues were not explained in a way where I understood the solution.  So, it didn't really help at the time.  Although completely independently, I analyzed and fixed it myself, thought it was a huge breakthrough, then realized Monte mentioned it to me two years prior.  Re-watching the videos, it was obvious what he was trying to communicate.  User error probably.  Also goes to show that for me, instruction dosesn't really help that much.  I have to figure it out myself or it doesn't click or stay.  My new swing changes I have done myself have transformed my swing and game.

Edited by Golfah, 04 May 2018 - 10:01 AM.

#22 naval2006

naval2006

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265866
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 377

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

I don't follow internet teachers.  But I have one of Monte's videos.  There's two things I value from a teacher: when they follow what they preach and when they keep it simple without bells and whistles.  Plus the guy has an awesome classic swing and he can hit the ball.  Perhaps these are Monte's best assets.  My all time coach is like that so it's pleasing to learn and improve with a guy like that.  And they'll never sell snake oil, they'll teach you the stuff and then they'll tell you to practice as much as you can.

A lot of adults however like the magical tip and the loads of hard data on how to play well.  For this type of golfer Monte may not be enough.

#23 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:01 AM

I wanted to add something as well that I think goes overlooked....He isn't the type of guy who is going to promise that you will hit it 20 extra yards if you practice what he teaches like Haney or Rick Smith or some of the big names.  He doesn't go on here touting how good he is or how much he knows.  He lets his knowledge and results speak for themselves.  He knows he's good but he isn't going to tell you....Gotta respect a guy like that.

#24 rygroves

rygroves

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 283620
  • Ebay ID:naptownspeedy
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 04 May 2018 - 03:54 PM

Post your swing videos here. You’re already a client, and most likely he’ll give you some advice right here.

Monte’s MO is to try and figure out which descriptions will take hold and make sense. Durning an all day lesson we had, we searched and searched for the right key/feel which would make the difference. When we found it everything became more simple. He’s not a “method” guy. Stick with it and you’ll see benefits.

#25 chiva

chiva

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176280
GolfWRX Likes : 590

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:41 PM

I've worked with Monte for several years. He has done more for my game than anybody. He's a wonderful teacher. His ability to explain things is amazing. Fun guy to be around too. He's very down to earth.

OB and water hazards you flunkies

#26 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359765
  • Handicap:Yes
GolfWRX Likes : 1100

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:46 PM

All I know is that he spent 20 minutes with my kid a few moths ago who then proceeded to beat my a** 4 and 3  on a very difficult track in windy conditions from the mens tees. He is 14.
There is something there for sure.

Edited by Baitkiller, 04 May 2018 - 04:47 PM.

Turn over damnit!
Krank 9*  Formula 5 UST Tour
Adams 15* wasabi
XXIO pro 5
Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
Betti-1
K-sig

#27 BottleCap

BottleCap

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132067
GolfWRX Likes : 425

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:54 PM

Have you tried the Sam Gould square to square? it’s on the other end of the spectrum from monte, maybe that will speak to you.
Titleist TS2 9.5 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 7S
Titleist 917F3 15 GD TourAD BB 8S
Mizuno MP-18 3-PW DG S400
Vokey SM6 54S and 60K
Cameron Newport 2 CT

#28 Steven19114

Steven19114

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

So here are some video's of today's swings.

The iron is a 7 and obvs then my driver.
Some things I realized after watching, my posture could be a bit "taller", my back swing should not be so behind when coming back and also my shoulder turn can be deeper to create a longer back swing. Or at least thats what I think
Anyway my only thoughts really is hinge the wrists and throw my right elbow as quick as I can. Any feedback is much appreciated.

https://youtu.be/DH3YfLJmRro

https://youtu.be/bR-HOQngQfQ

https://youtu.be/RaC40RJUsSQ

https://youtu.be/q_GkueSj7HU

#29 5150dsm

5150dsm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 484246
  • Handicap:14.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

Coming off of a torn ligament in my left elbow, my swing was destroyed. I couldn't hit anything, I couldn't score, everything was left, it was right, it was drop kicked, etc, etc... Physically, I'm completely rehabbed, mentally, I'm ready to rock, my swing still says no... I'm shooting in the 105-112 range, this after turning a 78 on my last round before the injury. 7 weeks ago I started the Drive4Dough series and began incorporating Monte's direction into my swing. First outing, after one day of video and practice, 106, second outing a week later, 102, more video lessons, more practice, and two weeks later it was 92, the following week, 92 again, two more weeks of practice and videos, yesterday was 87. Now I know these are not amazing scores, but with some basic instruction and carefully applying the lessons a couple at a time, I have made real progress. Sure, I practiced my a** off, but I wouldn't have had anything comprehensive to practice without Monte's video series. So to answer the OP, yes, I am experiencing and expect to continue experiencing success with Monte's training.

#30 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

Rebellion Golf

• Sponsors
  • 18,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 11309

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:15 PM

View PostSteven19114, on 07 May 2018 - 10:28 AM, said:

So here are some video's of today's swings.

The iron is a 7 and obvs then my driver.
Some things I realized after watching, my posture could be a bit "taller", my back swing should not be so behind when coming back and also my shoulder turn can be deeper to create a longer back swing. Or at least thats what I think
Anyway my only thoughts really is hinge the wrists and throw my right elbow as quick as I can. Any feedback is much appreciated.

https://youtu.be/DH3YfLJmRro

https://youtu.be/bR-HOQngQfQ

https://youtu.be/RaC40RJUsSQ

https://youtu.be/q_GkueSj7HU

Biggest issue is club is open the whole backswing and downswing.

You need to practice slow mo in front of a mirror seeing what you have to do with your wrists.

Hard to tell from video if grip is contributing...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors