Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

getting rid of cable tv

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 482

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

At almost $200/month, we're planning to get rid of the dish. Anybody else do that? And, do you have any suggestions for internet tv? I'm clueless on this stuff now. We have a Roku tv, which probably matters. It's nice to watch goofy youtube videos on.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
20-year old Mizuno 5 Wood
Balls: Z Star and Snell MTB Black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 JDFish

JDFish

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135069
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 186

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

About 9 months ago we canceled our DirecTv.  We already had an antenna installed in the attic connected to all of our tvs (in case of heavy rain or snow causing the loss of satellite signal).  We also had Amazon Prime and Netflix that we watched using a Roku box.  I bought 2 more Roku boxes for the other tvs and subscribed to Hulu Live TV and HBO Now.  Hulu Live was problematic - continuous buffering which was very frustrating while trying to watch live sports.  So I canceled that and subscribed to PSVue (Playstation) live tv and have had no buffering issues.  The kids mostly watch Netflix, Hulu, etc. on their chromebooks.  I get the Big 10 Network and Golf Channel.  My wife gets most of her favorite shows.  And we are saving over $100/month.  I have yet to figure out the DVR feature on the Roku and I did just get notification that our local ABC station was going from live to on-demand on PSVue, which won't really affect us since we have the antenna.

Edited by JDFish, 03 May 2018 - 12:47 PM.

Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
Callaway XR 5 wood
Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
Evnroll ER8 33"

#3 Teetoh

Teetoh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492398
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:35 PM

We cut the cord about 6 months ago and have never looked back. All you need is YouTubeTV and Netflix. They have everything you will ever need. YouTubeTV is more sports oriented than the other streaming services. And you get your locals anywhere in the country.

#4 HighBoomingDraws

HighBoomingDraws

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450138
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 419

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:44 PM

YouTube Tv with a little bit faster than standard internet has been wildly successful for me. Saving $60 a month.
TaylorMade M4 D-Type 10.5* W/ Tensei Blue 60 X-Stiff
TaylorMade M4 3W 15*
Callaway X2 Hot Pro Hybrid 20*
Callaway Apex Pro PX 6.0 4-PW
Titleist SM7 50*/54*/60*
Odyssey White Hot Tour #1
Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow

#5 ESP

ESP

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 516 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131798
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:59 PM

We cut the cord over two years ago and haven't looked back.  We upgraded our internet speed to accommodate more demand and pay around $70/month for internet.  Check the location of local over the air antennas.  If they are close enough, then you can buy relatively cheap antennas that will pick up local stations.  We subscribe to Netflix and SlingTV.  Between over the air, Netflix and Sling we get everything we want, including sports, and pay a little less than half of what our cable/internet bill was when we canceled the cable.

M1 440 9.5* MRC Pro Orange V2 60 TX
'16 M1 T3 13.5* MRC Pro White 70 TX
SLDR 17* Black Tie Stiff
JPX 900 Tour (4-9), C-Taper 120S
Vokey SM7 50, 54, 58, C-Taper 120S
Bettinardi BB0 DASS

#6 Markrip

Markrip

Boss fan 62

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 365551
GolfWRX Likes : 864

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:28 PM

My brother uses Sling and is happy with it. He said he did have to upgrade his internet speed to 100 mbps to get the best performance.
Driver - Cobra F7
3w- Adams Tight Speedline Super LS
Hybrid -  Cobra F8 19
Irons- Adams XTD 4-PW
Wedges-  Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01

#7 skawas

skawas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51939
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:45 AM

We dropped cable about 2 years ago. Price kept going up. Have internet only 100 MB for 41 per month. Have an android box and an amazon fire stick. My tv is smart also.
Installed a nice tiny antenna on my chimney and ran it to a splitter one side for tv the other for a Homerun box.

The Homerun box lets me watch tv on all my devices. Phone, Tablet, Computer and other TVs on the network. I have the least expensive one. Hd HomeRun Connect. It has two tuners The homerun box wasn't expensive. Paid for it my first month after dropping cable. Homerun also has a DVR for 35 per year. Haven't tried it yet.

Haven't missed cable at all. Have always been an Amazon prime member and giving Netflix a try now.

#8 dan360

dan360

Paisano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
GolfWRX Likes : 6320

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:42 PM

All I can get for internet here are Comcast (cable), CenturyLink (dsl), or satelllite.     CenturyLink is horrid, satellite is laggy with bandwidth death @ night, so all that is left is Comcast.

DISH or DirecTV with Comcast internet is expensive.    Comcast cable TV with internet is only $11/month more than just the internet.   So I've stayed with Comcast.    

Someday I'll move away from the sticks and get all the cool stuff the urban people get.
As of 29JUL2018

TaylorMade M1 '17 440 9° HZRDUS Yellow
TaylorMade M1 '17 3HL KuroKage
Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron Modus 120
Miura Baby Blades  3-PW Steelfiber 110
Mizuno MP-T10 54/60 DGW  
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
OUUL h2oProof stand bag black

#9 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144465
GolfWRX Likes : 17889

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:52 AM

Simple question but I'm getting older, technically challenged and planning to retire next year. To cut the rising cost of cable I too would like to drop it, but when you do, where does the internet come from then? (sorry if that sounds so stupid)
Outlaw Golf Association #11
Linked Division

#10 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:6.1

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:22 AM

SixtySomePing, on 07 May 2018 - 03:52 AM, said:

Simple question but I'm getting older, technically challenged and planning to retire next year. To cut the rising cost of cable I too would like to drop it, but when you do, where does the internet come from then? (sorry if that sounds so stupid)

This is one of those "it doesnt mean what people think it means" or more accurately "it doesnt mean what it used to mean".

Cutting the cord used to mean giving up tv/internet altogether. Now it just means people usually pay more for better internet access and then pay for one or two or three monthly internet services or new devices/boxes - vs paying for a tv service.

Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesnt. For me we just knocked down the Directv service level to save a few bucks. If you dropped cable tv you could still keep cable internet access - the coax cable is still physically connected to your house - this is the setup that I have, cable internet but no cable tv service.

But again, "cutting the cord" as a phrase isnt really all that accurate these days.

M3 9.5 - AD-DI6x Black
M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
Cobra F8 One Length 5-GW - Steelfiber 110s
TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 skawas

skawas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:26 AM

You can do a search in google for your area- Internet Service Providers. Look over what they offer for internet only.

#12 skawas

skawas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:35 AM

If you decide not to get internet only you can still watch your local tv channels. Using an antenna in the attic or roof brings in more channels I live in Northern Ohio and found about 60 channels in my area over the air. You can check your area to see what channels show up http://www.homeanten...eption-map.html

#13 BA_Luck

BA_Luck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500542
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

I tried to cut the cord and went back. When you start to factor in all the costs it's so close to just having cable and internet ($80ish for good internet + $35 for a streaming service + $15 for netflix + $15 for Hulu).

You might have to play the game every year and call to lower your bill, but it's much more convenient to have a cable box then stumbling through 5 different apps to find the show you want to watch.

#14 ceejay81

ceejay81

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492284
GolfWRX Likes : 1491

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

I want to cut the cord so badly, but I watch way too many local sports to be able to do so and be happy.
Hive Tour Titles: 1

#15 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 1845

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:45 PM

Cutting the cord is getting slightly less advantageous as the streaming market has exploded.  When I first did it, I was saving around $80 a month, mainly in HD and equipment fees and a little on the service.  But then my comcast internet mysteriously started not working quite as good in prime watching opportunities (ie Sling would buffer like crazy every night at 9pm).  So I upgraded the internet to ATT fiber, which ate up $25 of that savings.  Then Sling TV had a bunch of issues as it grew too fast for them to handle it, so I went from $20 there to $35 for PS Vue.  And then PS Vue raised their price to $40 a few months back.  So now 2-ish years later I'm down to saving $35 a month over regular cable.  It's still something, but I doubt it'll be much longer before more stuff comes down the pipe.

And then now that everyone is into the streaming game, including the major cable companies, we'll continue to see competition and limiting of channels.  On PS Vue, they recently dropped live streaming of Fox, so come football season I will need to potentially move onto something else.  YouTube TV carries all the locals, but lacks HGTV and Food Network, which are probably the two most often watched channels.  I may try out Hulu Live soon as they seem to have most everything.  But I really imagine the big cable companies will find a way to knock most of these services out of the picture.

And then, on top of the crap above, we've got CBS and ESPN both offering stand alone subscriptions.  I imagine more networks will do this and things will get more out of control.

#16 HatsForBats

HatsForBats

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433112
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 637

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:14 AM

I dumped Cable TV which saved $60 per month but they still bang me for $75 per month for 25 up/down for internet. I thought I would really miss my local sports and the Golf Channel but not so much. Plenty of other more productive things to do. Thinking about dropping internet as my phone has enough data that I can work from home on the rare occasions it might be necessary.

If I get to the point where I drop both, plus a service that requires high speed internet with a large amount of data, it would save me an estimated $2000 per year of after tax dollars. I can easily afford it but I don't think it's worth nearly that much money. It would be a decent raise for not much effort or loss.

#17 ramdorsky

ramdorsky

• 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466436
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:30 PM

Been using a ScreenBeam for the last couple years.
https://www.amazon.c...1/dp/B00O14JG2Y
Cobra Bio Cell Pro....10*
Taylormade RBZ.......15*
Callaway RAZR(hy)..21*
Mizuno JPX900T.....4-10
Scor...........................50*
Vokey..................54* 60*
SC American Classic III

#18 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63801
GolfWRX Likes : 493

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

Ive debated about doing this for the last couple years. I am a UVerse customer and love the cable. I get all the movie channels plus all the other stuff, I have dvr and a wireless box, plus internet and am paying about $180 a month. Its high I know, but I would pay about half that to get sling tv and a couple add ons and would still be missing some other stations I watch normally. Plus I would still have to get an HD antenna and hook it up.

In a year, I may actually go thru with it but for now I am staying put with what I got. It may be a bit more but its too convenient to give up for now.

#19 mshills

mshills

Consistently inconsistent.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139083
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 1031

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:02 PM

HighBoomingDraws, on 03 May 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

YouTube Tv with a little bit faster than standard internet has been wildly successful for me. Saving $60 a month.

THIS.  YouTube TV has been fantastic for our household, and now there is a native app for my TV (Roku TV) so that removes the hassle of casting from my Chromebook.

Nothing missing that I want from YouTube TV.  Local channels, college football, soccer, F1 racing, it has everything I need.

We also maintain a Netflix subscription that is frankly unnecessary but it's not very costly, and we have Amazon Prime video as a side benefit to Prime membership.
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 8 deg
TEE E8 Beta 16.5 deg
Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood
TEE CB Pro 3h 21 deg
Ping ISI BeCu 4i - S2
OG Ping Eye 2 BeCu LW
Dave Curry Big Oak custom center shaft
Custom Eliott carry bag, waxed canvas and leather

#20 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 1845

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:51 AM

blaird, on 10 May 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Ive debated about doing this for the last couple years. I am a UVerse customer and love the cable. I get all the movie channels plus all the other stuff, I have dvr and a wireless box, plus internet and am paying about $180 a month. Its high I know, but I would pay about half that to get sling tv and a couple add ons and would still be missing some other stations I watch normally. Plus I would still have to get an HD antenna and hook it up.

In a year, I may actually go thru with it but for now I am staying put with what I got. It may be a bit more but its too convenient to give up for now.

You don't really need the HD antenna any more if you go with a streaming package that has local channels.  I have an antenna and tablo which converts the signal to wireless to stream and acts as a DVR, but now the only time I use it is if I want to watch live sports on Fox since PS Vue dropped that live channel.  The other OTR channels are streamed on vue and many of the other streaming services have them all, including fox.

It may not be worth it for you though, since to get a streaming service ($40-ish) plus all the pay channels you'd probably be $80-90 a month, maybe a bit more plus the cost of internet and the investment in the Fire sticks or whatever to attach to all the TVs

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 SetTheBarrHigh

SetTheBarrHigh

Major Winner

• 3,485 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15187
GolfWRX Likes : 1078

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:29 PM

We’ve been using Sling for about a year now and are still pretty happy. We don’t watch a ton of television other than Golf Channel and the local Fox Sports variant for Stars and Mavs games.

Sling -$50
Netflix - $10
CBS App - $5

Cheaper than a bundle package for us through a cable provider and more flexibility.
Instagram @SetTheBarrHigh

What's In The Bag

Adams Speedline Fast12 LS 9.5
Titleist TS2 16.5
Mizuno CLK 19
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-P
Mizuno T7 52, Titleist SM7 58
Titleist Buttonback Newport 2

#22 SuperBombin

SuperBombin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126716
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

Haven't had cable for 5 years and no regrets. Only have antenna and Netflix and internet for about 45 a month. We use my parents subscription to watch the other apps so that helps a bit lol

#23 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 48916

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:21 PM

dcmidnight, on 07 May 2018 - 05:22 AM, said:

This is one of those "it doesnt mean what people think it means" or more accurately "it doesnt mean what it used to mean".

Cutting the cord used to mean giving up tv/internet altogether. Now it just means people usually pay more for better internet access and then pay for one or two or three monthly internet services or new devices/boxes - vs paying for a tv service.

Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesnt. For me we just knocked down the Directv service level to save a few bucks. If you dropped cable tv you could still keep cable internet access - the coax cable is still physically connected to your house - this is the setup that I have, cable internet but no cable tv service.

But again, "cutting the cord" as a phrase isnt really all that accurate these days.

Same here. We just told our cable company to shut off the TV service but leave the high speed internet (Roadrunner) on.
Dropped our bill from $165 a month to $70 a month. Then we added Netflix through our Roku unit to 2 TVs for $10.99 a
month so we're paying a total of $80.99 a month now. Our internet is plenty fast enough to run 2 TVs and our PCs all at
the same time with no issues and unlimited usage.

#24 BA_Luck

BA_Luck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500542
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

Conrad1953, on 22 May 2018 - 09:21 PM, said:

Same here. We just told our cable company to shut off the TV service but leave the high speed internet (Roadrunner) on.
Dropped our bill from $165 a month to $70 a month. Then we added Netflix through our Roku unit to 2 TVs for $10.99 a
month so we're paying a total of $80.99 a month now. Our internet is plenty fast enough to run 2 TVs and our PCs all at
the same time with no issues and unlimited usage.
you guys are all heros. I need my live sports.

#25 dan360

dan360

Paisano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
GolfWRX Likes : 6320

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:58 AM

Can't "LIKE" posts by staff but can quote and say yessir!

As of 29JUL2018

TaylorMade M1 '17 440 9° HZRDUS Yellow
TaylorMade M1 '17 3HL KuroKage
Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron Modus 120
Miura Baby Blades  3-PW Steelfiber 110
Mizuno MP-T10 54/60 DGW  
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
OUUL h2oProof stand bag black

#26 8iron175

8iron175

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 505462
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:25 AM

Cable way overpriced...definately looking at sling tv.

#27 JayMatt

JayMatt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88199
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:14 AM

Youtube TV is legit.   I love it.   If the channel lineup works for you the actual product and price is amazing.

#28 vaca22

vaca22

Commander In Beef

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46965
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:36 AM

Another +vote for YouTubeTV here.  I also purchased my own modem for about $65 so I didn't have to shell out the $9.99 monthly rental fee from my ISP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors